Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

How to A/B Power Cables

I'm curious how people approach trying to A/B evaluate Power Cables for an Amp or Dac? Given that Amps in particular need significant warm up time for optimal sound, there is going to be a long gap between listening to one cable and then another.

Unless the difference between cables is gross, it seems to me, that auditory memory after a 30 or 60 minute pause between listenings is going to be pretty unreliable.

My approach is to listen to familiar reference tracks for at least half an hour, take a half hour break for cable change, and then listen again for half an hour. And then hope my ears/brain are still processing the sound the same way as before...
    Source: Taiko Audio Server, Cisco 2960 Switch, Gigafoil, Lampizator Pacific Dac. Amp: Bakoon 13r Speakers: AvantGarde Duo Mezzo XD, Cables: Alan Maher Designs Power, Duelund Speaker, Shunyata Sigma IC's Audioquest Diamond ethernet. Room Treatment Vicoustic.

Re: How to A/B Power Cables

I give the amp some warm up time while listening, then when I feel the amp has had enough time, I swap the new cord in as soon as possible, then listen to the last 3 or so tracks in rverse. Unless swapping the cord is difficult and takes a long time your amp shouldn't cool that much that you couldn't continue to listen with the new cord once in place.

For me the power cords in my comparisons had enough difference it was easy to tell what was going on. If it was so close I had no doubt, I'd keep what I had.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

I have always felt that power cords can be some of the more difficult cables to A/B. By the time you listen power your gear down, swap and then power everything back up again trying to make sure all volumes are back to equal, my audio memory is being tested.

I always wondered if I could do this to compare power cords. Connect power cord A to my left amp and Power cord B to the right. If I then set output to mono and then compared the sound from each speaker to see if I can hear the difference. If one sounded better I could then swap the amp they are on just to make sure the improved sound moves with the PC. I have never done this but I think it could work.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Listen to Reference, and write down the time marker for specific sections of the song and what you hear in bass, mid and high.

I agree once amps are warm, there warm.

Mono seems like a logical way of doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Yes, if you have mono amps that's the perfect way to hear any difference and trust your senses with confidence. I have a stereo amp, so will be more of a challenge
    Source: Taiko Audio Server, Cisco 2960 Switch, Gigafoil, Lampizator Pacific Dac. Amp: Bakoon 13r Speakers: AvantGarde Duo Mezzo XD, Cables: Alan Maher Designs Power, Duelund Speaker, Shunyata Sigma IC's Audioquest Diamond ethernet. Room Treatment Vicoustic.

The most important thing:
    Have someone else do the cable switching and not tell you what cable is installed.

Other things:
    a] mark the cable path so the all the cables follow the same path.
    b] different lengths or paths can have as much impact as different brands.
    c] make sure the same hi-fi components are on or off.
    d] make sure the same nearby appliances, hi-tech lighting & HVAC are on or off.

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    I have always felt that power cords can be some of the more difficult cables to A/B. By the time you listen power your gear down, swap and then power everything back up again trying to make sure all volumes are back to equal, my audio memory is being tested.

I always wondered if I could do this to compare power cords. Connect power cord A to my left amp and Power cord B to the right. If I then set output to mono and then compared the sound from each speaker to see if I can hear the difference. If one sounded better I could then swap the amp they are on just to make sure the improved sound moves with the PC. I have never done this but I think it could work.
    This might work but only if speaker placement is equal and your room is symmetrical in shape and placement of openings, windows, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzie View Post
    This might work but only if speaker placement is equal and your room is symmetrical in shape and placement of openings, windows, etc.
    Fortunately my room is to a point. As all my gear save for my amps is on one wall I am sure there are differences in the way sound waves arrive at my seating position. That is where my suggestion to swap the cables or power cords would come into play. Nothing is perfect and I don't think it needs to be to make a choice.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

dont forget to warm up the cable itself as well…..

Quote Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
    The most important thing:
    Have someone else do the cable switching and not tell you what cable is installed.

Other things:
    a] mark the cable path so the all the cables follow the same path.
    b] different lengths or paths can have as much impact as different brands.
    c] make sure the same hi-fi components are on or off.
    d] make sure the same nearby appliances, hi-tech lighting & HVAC are on or off.
    good points .......

Quote Originally Posted by u-sound View Post
    dont forget to warm up the cable itself as well…..
    LMAO, too funny !
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    good points .......

LMAO, too funny !
    I do believe u-sound meant having some current running through each power cord immediately (or soon) before testing. That is where the adapters I mentioned come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzie View Post
    I do believe u-sound meant having some current running through each power cord immediately (or soon) before testing. That is where the adapters I mentioned come in handy.
    for what reason ?
    Cheers ! …. Dave

lol, i meant that cable a would have the same temperatur as cable b when testing.
    copper 21 degree celsius vs. 24 degree comes down to the apple vs orange thing.
    probably some electronic carpet with built in precise temperaturcontrol could handle that problem.
    equal condition for all cables!
    just joking….honestly i think it would be the best to swap the cables from the system you are VERY familar with and then go away get drunk or whatever and in the upcoming days and weeks you can just take the sound without too much concentration and if there is any real improvement you will hear it by your long term memory. then may be switch every week for a few month between a and b and eventually you are there!

lol, i meant that cable a would have the same temperatur as cable b when testing.
    copper 21 degree celsius vs. 24 degree comes down to the apple vs orange thing.
    probably some electronic carpet with built in precise temperaturcontrol could handle that problem.
    equal condition for all cables!
    just joking….honestly i think it would be the best to swap the cables from the system you are VERY familar with and then go away get drunk or whatever and in the upcoming days and weeks you can just take the sound without too much concentration and if there is any real improvement you will hear it by your long term memory. then may be switch every week for a few month between a and b and eventually you are there!
    I'll drink to that !!!! .....
    Cheers ! …. Dave

The difference between 21 degree Celsius vs. 24 degree is just 1 percent.
    For the calculation, remember to start at -273°C.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    I'll drink to that !!!! .....
    cheers my friend !!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
    The difference between 21 degree Celsius vs. 24 degree is just 1 percent.
    For the calculation, remember to start at -273°C.
    good point….they somtimes sound warmer when cold and vice versa

good point….they somtimes sound warmer when cold and vice versa
    Plus you have to consider the temperature of all the wire from that big power company transformer down the street to your hi-fi component.

nope, the temperature controlled carpet, where you place on your cable, does take care of that issue.
    but your neighborhood does influence that big transformer….you might please them to not use any electric gear while you are doing your a vs b

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

How to A/B Power Cables