Magico vs Revel - Page 5
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Magico vs Revel

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Magico vs Revel

Ha!

Unfortunately not anymore. I'm a one set of speakers guy now. I couldn’t be happier. Having a few amps in rotation keeps it interesting and loads of fun.

Gentleman, I'm officially off the merry go round.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    Joe

Valvet E2, Avantgarde Duo XD, MC275VI, MC452, MC303, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300,
    Pass XA25, Job INTegrated, Cary 300B SE, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2,
    McIntosh MCLK12

2. Likes Mr Peabody liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Ha!

Unfortunately not anymore. I'm a one set of speakers guy now. I couldn’t be happier. Having a few amps in rotation keeps it interesting and loads of fun.

Gentleman, I'm officially off the merry go round.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    I need to write that down...
    Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    I need to write that down...
    Knock yourself out
    Joe

Valvet E2, Avantgarde Duo XD, MC275VI, MC452, MC303, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300,
    Pass XA25, Job INTegrated, Cary 300B SE, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2,
    McIntosh MCLK12

Post Thanks / Like

Why is it that when certain speaker brands are being discussed the debate always turns a bit non-friendly.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Te Kaitora Rua Streamer: Auralic Aries LE DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 RCA Interlink: Ansuz X, XLR Interlink: Purist Audio Design - Venustas Digital Interlinks Anzus Digitals A USB Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, and two X series Audio Rack: Solid Steel H6

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mordante View Post
    Why is it that when certain speaker brands are being discussed the debate always turns a bit non-friendly.
    Where is the debate becoming non-friendly? This story is more about discussing Harman's testing protocol than it's about discussing the difference between Revel and Magico speakers. There are more than a few people on this forum that own Revel speakers and love them. Ditto for Magico. Live and let live.
    Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

7. Likes the professor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I wonder what would happen if the listeners could toggle between different amps and bring their own music.
    They couldn't let you "toggle amps" because that would add a variable that negates the test. You could of course ask about inserting your amp in the test regime, though it's also doubtful since they would have to test it first t make sure it didn't eq the speaker based on impedance or some other silly "attribute" misbehavior that would again, negate any validity to the test.
    Not sure what amp they use now, but they should certainly have access to Mark Levinson amps. My understanding is that you can visit the facility and take the test yourself, including with your own speakers and music, no training necessary.
    The test is blind (no priori knowledge affects the listening), so one must "trust ears" and "just listen". The really real world version of both. The total opposite of what audiophiles are used to doing. As such, it really is academic in nature for bettering their speakers sound. I don't know anyone who listens blind at home. Things like looks, beliefs, etc have an overwhelming impact, so the scope of the testing is limited in application. If you like the looks, street rep, etc and sound of one's speakers, I can't see any reason whatsoever to attend such testing. YMMV.

cheers,

AJ

Post Thanks / Like

I am a happy Magico S3 Mk II owner. I recently heard a Revel Salon 2 at a dealer, driven by ML electronics. It was not optimally set up, but I have to say, very impressive speakers. I suspect that if these were being introduced today, the MRSP price point would probably be approx 50% higher. Impressive value IMO.

10. Likes Ritmo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I saw a picture of the Mark Levinson No. 536 mono amp, behind the curtain, in literature Harman has recently distributed about the test.
    https://www.marklevinson.com/product...uct/no536.html
    Christian

stuff: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Esoteric K-01X, Oppo BDP-105D, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Shunyata Triton V3 w/ Typhon, Furutech Nanoflux/Nanoflux NCF power cables, WW Platinum Eclipse 7 IC's/Speaker Cables, An Audioquest WEL IC or two.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5