My Big Scare with a NAS... - Page 4
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Big Scare with a NAS...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    I find that many people misunderstand raid/nas drives. Because you have multiple drives does not mean you have anything backed up. A virus or corruption on 1 drive can populate to all drives. I always keep a complete backup in a static proof bag in a cardboard box. I also have a couple friends holding a drive for me.
    Yup, I do the friend thing too. LoL
    Only the paranoid stay safe. LoL
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    If you fill that amount up you would never be able to listen to them all ...
    To me that does not matter...if someone discusses an album or track, I like the fact that I have a high chance of having it in my library to go review. Streaming is nice, but you don't own the Cloud, the Cloud "owns" you. Heheheh
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

3. Likes Randy Myers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by astrotoy View Post
    Glad to hear you got your data back. I have a couple of Drobo units and have upgraded their capacity over the years. I think they are all 4TB drives, been using WD Reds which have been extremely reliable compared to Seagates (boo!). My main digital music collection is in a large Synology box. I use the Synology version of RAID 5 (called SHR) which allows you to mix and match drive sizes. The box has 12 drives which I have completely populated with 8TB drives. Synology has a system where it is constantly monitoring the health of the drives (bad segments, etc) and sends a message when the drives are getting weak, so you can replace them before they fail. I have about 60TB of music files, including the 40TB from my giant ripping project (10,000 vinyl and tape albums at 192/24). In addition to the Synology Raid backup, I have two completely separate sets of backups, on external drives. One is at home and the other in two big safe deposit boxes in the local bank. Really important point made earlier that the Box itself can fail, or get infected, taking more than one drive down, so external backups are mandatory.

Larry
    My hat is off to you, Sir Larry!
    NORMAN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    My hat is off to you, Sir Larry!
    Hate to thread crash, but your inbox is full and cannot accept messages. FYI

Post Thanks / Like

Hi AJ...I emptied it out.
    NORMAN

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4