ECC31 in 6SN7 slot. Possible?
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Post Thanks / Like

ECC31 in 6SN7 slot. Possible?

I own a 508IA but since my question is more in the general sense, I created a new thread. This forum seems to need the action anyway.

Has anyone tried to use ECC31 tubes using an adapter to convert to 6SN7 in their Line Magnetic amps and if so, what was the outcome?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273450915027/

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ECC31 in 6SN7 slot. Possible?

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Joe

Misho Myronov Wooden Amp and Wooden preamp, Valvet E2, Avantgarde Duo XD, McIntosh MC303, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300, Job INTegrated, Cary 300B SE, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini, McIntosh MCLK12

3. Likes Strat-Mangler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for welcoming me.

In the end, since I couldn't find anyone with prior experience in conducting such an experiment, I opted to purchase a set of ECC33 tubes instead. Somebody on a different msg board brought up the possibility that in converting the tube, it might not even sound like a 6SN7 anyway (bloated bass, lack of detail, etc).

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the circuit design, you may be headed for disappointment at least, or an outright disaster.
    The common cathode could cause several issues. Also heater current is about 75% higher. Your transformer may not like that.
    Despite both tubes being medium mu, there's not that much similarity. I certainly wouldn't risk such an expensive amp on this.
    What led you to believe this was something worth trying?
    Dan Santoni

Authorized service for (in no particular order) - Copland, Cary, Unison Research, Accustic Arts, Allnic, Modwright, Ayon, Hegel, Belles, Adcom, Aesthetix, Coincident, Zesto and a whole bunch more

Custom Manufacturer of Blackdog HiFi.

www.dtsaudioelectronics.com
    www.blackdoghifi.com