Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Shunyata Hydra best version?.

Hello,

I come from being a long term PS Audio user, but I am seriously considering to switch to a Shunyata Hydra. As I want to test the technology with my particular equipment and power lines, I was thinking about purchasing an used Hydra first.

What is the most advisable version?. Is the Hydra Alpha the best?. Any recommendation for an Audio Research pre and Bryston power amp?. Any tip or comment?.

Many thanks,

Mandawebs.

Super Moderator

Re: Shunyata Hydra best version?.

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I am a bi confused by your question. Could you clarify? Hydra are power conditioning products while Alpha is one version of their power cords/interconnect lines. They do have a Sigma line that sits above Alpha. Alpha "might" be the sweet spot.

Not having used the Hydra's in my system my only suggestion would be go with the latest version. Shunyata does seem to continuously improve their products with each new version or release.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Hello,

Precisely, although I am not an expert in Shunyata portfolio, it seems to me their last version that can be found used at reasonable prices is the Hydra Alpha.

Then, Denalis, Tritons and other came, but this is harder to find at prices below 5000€. In my country try & buy is not typically easily available, so I do not want to invest more than 1500€ without trying. If I like it, I will climb the ladder later.

Rephrasing, what is the best Hydra you can find for 2000€?.

Thanks,

Mandawebs.

Shunyata has three lines of power distributors. From entry level to top line they are Venom, Denali, and Hydra Triton/Typhon/DPC.

Quote Originally Posted by mandawebs View Post
    Hello,

I come from being a long term PS Audio user, but I am seriously considering to switch to a Shunyata Hydra. As I want to test the technology with my particular equipment and power lines, I was thinking about purchasing an used Hydra first.

What is the most advisable version?. Is the Hydra Alpha the best?. Any recommendation for an Audio Research pre and Bryston power amp?. Any tip or comment?.

Many thanks,

Mandawebs.
    Hi,

If you are considering highest-value Shunyata Research Used products in power distribution, it would help to know if you are referring to US or EU outlet models?

If EU 240v, then the EU 7 outlet model would be my best recommendation.

If US 120v outlets model works, then I recommend considering an MPC 12 (Media Power Center 12 outlet unit). These contain a lot of technology and performance for what would be a reasonable used price for a multi-outlet product. The PS 8 model would be an even more affordable choice with all kinds of options to upgrade its performance. The Hydra Alpha models are older, probably 9-11 years old so the technology and customization isn't as advanced as more recent designs that have lower retail prices. When looking at used products, I would factor in age and try to stay within 5-7 years of manufacture if you can. This is more general advice and considers my own value judgement.

If you are looking at Hydra models only, then I recommend the original Hydra that gained us a large measure of notoriety, the Corian and granite Hydra model with South American Ameranth wood inlay on the front panel. The Hydra Model 8 and Hydra model 8v2 would also be worthy of consideration. These are all likely to cost around $1,000-$1200 on the Used market.

All of our more recent power-products including power cords and power distributors come with transferrable limited lifetime warranties, so I would consider that also when making a buying decision.

if you are buying used, feel free to contact us before purchase. We can give you advice and history of most products in terms of age, value, comparable products and other considerations.

I hope this is of some help!

Grant Samuelsen
    Shunyata Research

Quote Originally Posted by GrantS View Post
    Hi,

If you are considering highest-value Shunyata Research Used products in power distribution, it would help to know if you are referring to US or EU outlet models?

If EU 240v, then the EU 7 outlet model would be my best recommendation.

If US 120v outlets model works, then I recommend considering an MPC 12 (Media Power Center 12 outlet unit). These contain a lot of technology and performance for what would be a reasonable used price for a multi-outlet product. The PS 8 model would be an even more affordable choice with all kinds of options to upgrade its performance. The Hydra Alpha models are older, probably 9-11 years old so the technology and customization isn't as advanced as more recent designs that have lower retail prices. When looking at used products, I would factor in age and try to stay within 5-7 years of manufacture if you can. This is more general advice and considers my own value judgement.

If you are looking at Hydra models only, then I recommend the original Hydra that gained us a large measure of notoriety, the Corian and granite Hydra model with South American Ameranth wood inlay on the front panel. The Hydra Model 8 and Hydra model 8v2 would also be worthy of consideration. These are all likely to cost around $1,000-$1200 on the Used market.

All of our more recent power-products including power cords and power distributors come with transferrable limited lifetime warranties, so I would consider that also when making a buying decision.

if you are buying used, feel free to contact us before purchase. We can give you advice and history of most products in terms of age, value, comparable products and other considerations.

I hope this is of some help!

Grant Samuelsen
    Shunyata Research
    Grant,

Impressive answer, many thanks!.

I am talking about EU models, and I am specially keen in the Hydras.

I have seen Hydras Model 8 and Model 8v2. How can they be identified?. What serial numbers belong to v2?.

Also, I am interested in your views on the Hydra Alpha. Does this version have any significant improvement over the Hydra v1 and v2 versions?. I have seen some units with an attractive pricing.

Many thanks for the great support. Best regards,

Mandawebs.

I'm also interested in Grant commenting on power regenerators vs passive power distributors. Pros and cons of each. I too have been embedded in PS Audio regenerators for many years but now I'd like to take a wider view of other options.

I would search around for an original in the beautiful wood box.

That said, I use a Torus iso-tformer, so completely different ideas.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Quote Originally Posted by mandawebs View Post
    Hello,

Precisely, although I am not an expert in Shunyata portfolio, it seems to me their last version that can be found used at reasonable prices is the Hydra Alpha.

Then, Denalis, Tritons and other came, but this is harder to find at prices below 5000€. In my country try & buy is not typically easily available, so I do not want to invest more than 1500€ without trying. If I like it, I will climb the ladder later.

Rephrasing, what is the best Hydra you can find for 2000€?.

Thanks,

Mandawebs.
    If my experience with Hydra 8 is useful, I had one and compared it with Isotek Nova. I sold the Hydra 8.
    Over time I compared Isotek Nova with Denali 6000. I sold the Isotek and bought Denali and changed all my Isotek cables for Shunyata NR (well everyone except an Isotek Syncro that I can not remove from my amplifier).
    I think it's better that I wait for Denali to come out on second hand to buy Hydra 8. It's just my opinion.
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
    I'm also interested in Grant commenting on power regenerators vs passive power distributors. Pros and cons of each. I too have been embedded in PS Audio regenerators for many years but now I'd like to take a wider view of other options.
    I cannot present differences between entire genres because so much is out there, but I can shed light on the design choices we made and the relevant advantages specific to Caelin's designs.

Active versus passive are entirely different approaches--180 degrees. We certainly considered and tested approaches using regeneration, the use of isolation transformers, chokes or traditional coils. After many years of research and development both in the military and his career path afterwards, Caelin opted to use a passive approach for a few fundamental reasons.

Isolation transformers, regenerators, chokes and coils are generally based on the theory of isolating the system from grid related noise. This came with the same concept of "system protection" from all the bad stuff existing outside the system. All types of chokes, coils, transformers and regenerators will deliver to one degree or another on the promise of not allowing grid noise to get through to your electronics. Regenerators go the extra mile of generating newly clean current for the system.

From his years of testing and measurement, following are the reasons Caelin chose to follow his own unique design formula.

Primarily, Caelin found there to be significant draw backs in the area of instantaneous current delivery using the aforementioned approaches. When considering the performance of a SOUND reproduction system, we find the delivery of instantaneous current to be foundational in the design of every part, junction and conductor related to power delivery. Any power-delivery component or even a related part, that holds or delays peak-current can lead to the perception of compressed timing and dynamics due to increased junction, part or material resistance.

Caelin chose to go to a different extreme, including the development and design of all his own parts, materials, metals and metal treatments that together and apart, eliminate junction impedance and favor the maximum throughput of the original, unmolested peak electrical signal.

Secondarily, the brick wall approach forms a two-way brick wall, meaning these methods block grid related noise from reaching your electronics.... but also prevent component generated noise from finding an exit-path, which means in most cases component generated noise reflects its way back into the system. From his testing, Caelin found that noise from the grid, depending on system-type and geographic location, represents roughly 30% of the noise that can affect performance. Caelin's research demonstrated that proximal noise -- noise generated and shared among interconnected components, is the greater threat to performance by far; up to or more than 70% in some cases. Obviously the systems that use all digital front ends or are multi-purpose, multi-component systems the percentage goes up; with analog systems, the percentage difference may go down slightly. I'm using percentages only to illustrate the point.

Finally, we choose a non-reactive approach that will not interfere with the delicate balance of power-conditioning each manufacturer builds into their power supplies. For example, power conditioners that rely heavily on inductance such as a choke, or capacitance such as banks of large capacitors, run the risk of creating highly reactive mismatches with electronics that have the opposite reactive elements built into their power supply. An example would be putting a power conditioner full of capacitors in front of a component that has a choke-regulated power supply. At best, the combination will likely sound bad or muddled. At worst you can literally cause power supply oscillation within the component to the point the component will literally vibrate on the shelf. This is one reason "power conditioners" can be so variable in performance from system to system and is a big reason why many electronics manufacturers recommend against using ANY power conditioner with their electronics.

Some of the benefits of using the passive approach Caelin originated follow.

* Shunyata Research products do not measurably limit peak current beyond the minimal and unavoidable contact resistance that occurs when plugging any component into an additional outlet in front of the wall outlet. We spend enormous sums to measure, design and manufacture parts that eliminate contact resistance inherent in all common outlets, connectors, conductors and any other part in the path.

* Shunyata products (power cords and power-distributors) filter in two directions and in multiple stages, taking into account the massive amount of noise generated by system components themselves, not just the grid. --This is why our products have been enormously successful in medical imaging, which were previously using iso-transformers.

* Shunyata products are non-reactive, meaning they will be very stable in performance across the widest possible array of applications and with the most complex and reactively sensitive component power supplies. That doesn't mean an individual with a unique system may prefer one or another competing product, but it does mean we have eliminated every conceivable variable related to power and system integration when it comes to compatibility.

* Shunyata products generate zero heat or energy field of their own. They are inert devices in terms of their own electromagnetic field or relationship with the outside electrical world. Shunyata products will never buzz, hum or have parts wear out from heat exposure, or change performance for the same reasons. This is why we offer a transferrable limited life-time warranty on the power distributors and power cords. They are built to last a lifetime. Our track record with service is remarkable.

*Many of the technologies contained in Shunyata products are patent protected. All our technology and science is well explained. We present filmed, measurement and application results in professional, medical and review systems that demonstrate uniform results across an enormous variety of systems.

* An advantage that rarely gets mentioned but is relevant is the real world retail pricing for products that compete well above their price category. Shunyata products hold their value because they have intrinsic parts, design and functional integrity.

Anyone's results or POV might vary, but over twenty years we've earned enough credibility to be thought of anytime someone considers the purchase of products in our category. They are honestly developed with great attention to detail and have explainable science behind them that is unique to the market.

I hope this is of some help, Brodric.

Best regards,
    Grant

I went from the Shunyata PS8 to the Hydra A/V to the Denali 6000T. In the Hydra line of conditioners, the Hydra A/V is no doubt the best one. Used they are in the $1500 range.
    Audio Research Ref 5 SE
    Pass Labs XA100.5
    Clearaudio Innovation Wood, Clearaudio Universal 12" arm
    Benz Micro Glider SL
    Fosgate Signature V2 Tube Phono
    Lumin D2,
    Sonus Faber Amati Homage Anniverario
    JL Audio e12 subs
    Shunyata Denali 6000T
    Sunyata Denali 2000
    Shunyata Alpha HC Power cables
    Shunyata Anaconda Speaker cable
    Shunyata Python Innerconnects
    Clearaudio Double Matrix Sonic Record Cleaner

Another one for Grant. Why doesn't Shunyata build universal voltage devices? Is it a marketing thing, or are there technical reasons for building 120V and 240V versions of the power products?

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Shunyata Hydra best version?.