Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Intergrated or pre and power amp

I´ve come to the point where i have to make what i called a blind choice. I don´t have the chance to borrow/take home a bunch of pre/power and intergrated amps. I must state that i have a limited budget otherwise i would go all out on pre/power amp and replace the Audioquest SKY rca.

My system consists of the following:

Nad M50 streamer
    Audio research DAC 7
    Infinity Kappa 9 Santos
    Siltech Golden ridge G5 Digital
    Siltech Forbes lake G5 RCA 1m
    PAD Dominus 3m speaker cables
    Audioquest SKY 1.5m RCA
    Audio research LS17 preamp

The Audioquest SKY a great cable for the value but it´s miles off compared to the Siltech. My problem is that i can´t find a Siltech rca/xlr G5 that´s 1.5m, i need 1.5m to go between a pre and power amp. I´m wondering if there is a big integrated tube amp that will sound just as my ARC LS17 with a power amp? The plus side with an integrated would be that i save on interconnects between pre and power amp, and my big worry would be that the Audioquest SKY would choke the sound compared to running Siltech to an Integrated amp.

All tips and ideas are welcome. :-)

Super Moderator

Re: Intergrated or pre and power amp

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Welcome to AS.

You are probably alrady aware, whatever amp you get had better have some current, if not, the 9's will shut it down. Impedance swings realy low.

If it was me, and, you like the LS17, I'd just spend the money on a power amp. Maybe look into Pass which is solid state with a tube like character with plenty of current and power. I've also heard of guys having good luck with tube front end and Class D power amps.

Not so tube like but in an integrated with a lot of drive and value, look at Hegel, a variety of price points.

Aside from saving on cables, if going with an integrated you could then sell the LS17 to help with purchase.

I won't throw too much at you not knowing your budget or what may be available to you.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

I thought of another great value in power amps, ATI. They sound great and can feed the starving 9's what they crave. Look at the 3000 series and up. I have not heard the Class D series but from their other amps I'd have full confidence in them. If not available in your country though, freight could be a deal breaker, the ATI are beasts. The 3000 series are A/B and on the warm side of neutral as well, although full frequency, especially in the bottom end.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

81017 welcome to the forum
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Inter connect : Nordost Tyr 2 ( 2 Meter )
    LS cable : Yter
    Power Cables : Nordost Frey 2 ( 2 Meter )
    Nordost QB8
    Fibercable for feeding the Lumin X1
    Rack : Finite Elemente Pagode

why do your cables cost more than your amp/preamp?
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

May I recommend auditioning the T+A PA3100HV....
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

A great looking high current, high bias amp that might be worth investigating is Coda's recently reviewed Continuum #8.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    why do your cables cost more than your amp/preamp?
    I got a great deal on my cables, i´ve also learned that cables DO have a huge impact on the sound.

Kappa 9´s are easy to drive as long as you DON´T put them in what i call stupid mode, which will as you pointed out will drop to 0.5ohms and blow power amps.

Yes i do like the LS17, it´s just that i would have to find another cable on the same level as the Siltech that has to be 1.5m if i´m to buy a power amp. I have Audio Research on my mind in terms of power amps.

I have a friend who has Hegel, i wasn´t impressed. Your idea of a class D amp sounds interesting :-)

I´ll check it out. :-)

Aavik U-150 sounds fantastic, you need expensive pre/power combinations to better it. (IMHO)
    Moon 700i V2, YG Acoustics Hailey, Aurender N10, dCS Rossini, Oppo BDP103D (audiopraise board), Ansuz Mainz 8 D2

Quote Originally Posted by 81017 View Post
    I have a friend who has Hegel, i wasn´t impressed. Your idea of a class D amp sounds interesting :-)
    These are getting better and better!

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Intergrated or pre and power amp