Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Re: GigaFoil v4 Inline Ethernet Filter

Quote Originally Posted by steinkrieg View Post
    Jim,

Coincidentally, I was just reading your book and the section about AC Polarity last night! Would you say the instructions still stand as current? Or, are there other considerations I should take into account.

I know you get it all the time, but your book is THE primer for system set up. Thanks a ton for writing it, and I'm always on the look out for any updates you present.

Cheers
    Thanks!

It’a all still current.

FWIW - Galen Carol Audio’s website has good info re AC polarity - I recommend it highly.
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

After all these years, shouldn't be surprised any longer but Ghent cable made a very very nice improvement. Sound is more organic, less dry ... Great ROI!!!

I received the Gigafoil and Keces yesterday and will be hooking them up to the Lumin T2 when it arrives today. I want to be clear as to the power out of the Keces. On the back of the Keces version 1 there is a 5v/7v/9v option. The Gigafoil is 5v. The other option on the Keces is 12v/16v/12v. What is the preference on this setting? I'm guessing 12v?
    Speakers: Magico S3 (23')
    Integrated:Gryphon Diablo 300 plus DAC
    Streamer: HiFi Rose RS150b
    CD/DVD: Oppo 205
    Cables: Cardas-Shunyata-AudioQuest-Supra
    Roon Core: sonicTransporter i7 powered with HDPlex 200w linear PS, running AudioLinux for Roon--Tidal and Qobuz with iPad Pro

Time is just a tool humans created to measure movement and record events

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
    I received the Gigafoil and Keces yesterday and will be hooking them up to the Lumin T2 when it arrives today. I want to be clear as to the power out of the Keces. On the back of the Keces version 1 there is a 5v/7v/9v option. The Gigafoil is 5v. The other option on the Keces is 12v/16v/12v. What is the preference on this setting? I'm guessing 12v?
    Use the 5v setting on the P3 to feed the GigaFoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Thanks Mike. Is the other setting relivent to the use of the GigaFoil? And do both of the outputs use the same setting?
    Roon Core: sonicTransporter i7 powered with HDPlex 200w linear PS, running AudioLinux for Roon--Tidal and Qobuz with iPad Pro

Audioshark

Thanks Mike. Is the other setting relivent to the use of the GigaFoil? And do both of the outputs use the same setting?
    Nope. You don’t need it. You could use it down the road for a router or NAS or something if the voltage works.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Use the 5v setting on the P3 to feed the GigaFoil.

God yes, 5V!

You never want to feed more volts then what the device your feeding is rated!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

The 5v I was pretty clear on. I was a bit confused about the other switch.

The 5v I was pretty clear on. I was a bit confused about the other switch.
    Ok, good! Just want to make sure an audio brother ain’t left hanging, especially on Good Friday.

Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Has anyone tried an uptone lps 1.2 with the Gigafoilv4?
    curious how that would compare with the P-3

Quote Originally Posted by JAB View Post
    Has anyone tried an uptone lps 1.2 with the Gigafoilv4?
    curious how that would compare with the P-3
    Haven’t done the comparison because the Keces P3 is an audiophile quality LPS with tremendous build quality that sounds terrific with the GigaFoilv4 Ethernet Filter. When I strike oil, I stop drilling.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

I like “when I strike oil,I stop drilling”��
    Was interested as the uptone is small, offers a trial period,includes a dc cable and a “power charger/cord”
    I tend to be anal/obsessive guy
    You do make a good point

There have been a few comparison on Audiophile Style. Non keces to Uptone. The more I research Linear PS for myself, the more I find good ones cost money. The capacitor are expensive as well as the transformers. Then there is the case, wire, circuit board quality.

I got my Gigafoil and Keces P3 from Mike and I’m really impressed. Firstly paid on Monday and received the Gigafoil on Tuesday and P3 on Wednesday ! Thanks Mike

The difference in sound with both in the chain is outstanding. Very pleasantly surprised with how good the two are. Without the P3 it sounded clean but a little thin. The P3 added fullness/weight to the sound.

I used the spare 12v outlet of the P3 to power my switch.

One thing I notice is the P3 does run quite hot. Anyone else notice this?
    DeVore O96 / Leben CS600X / Rossini DAC & HiFi Rose 150B / Gigafoil v4 w/ Keces P3 /Denali 6000S
    Technics 1200G with EMT TSD15N, A23 Hommage T2 SUT, Leben RS30EQ, A23 interconnects

Quote Originally Posted by lostinla View Post
    I got my Gigafoil and Keces P3 from Mike and I’m really impressed. Firstly paid on Monday and received the Gigafoil on Tuesday and P3 on Wednesday ! Thanks Mike

The difference in sound with both in the chain is outstanding. Very pleasantly surprised with how good the two are. Without the P3 it sounded clean but a little thin. The P3 added fullness/weight to the sound.

I used the spare 12v outlet of the P3 to power my switch.

One thing I notice is the P3 does run quite hot. Anyone else notice this?
    Good deal, and yes it will run warm. Hot to me is you pull your hand when touching.

What do you guys isolate the gigafoil it with.

With networking, believe me, you may possibly find it more important than a select 2 dac rendering music like you guys use.

Put you most precious isolation on the first system, which is the streaming setup.

Even exotic power cords will show the same characters or more so than powering some components in the audio setup.

Tweaks or even upgrades to the main system can be put on long hold until every aspect in the streaming system has been dealt with.

The permutations and combinations in upgrading and tweaking have much more room for improvements than your main audio system.

It good for those who have say a Select. Nothing for further OCD upgrading.

A pretty decent dac with a finely setup networking system will smack a Select 2 streaming using a barebones basic networking system.

To a point where the setup of streaming networking system should or or even exceed the cost of a say a $10, 20k front end.

Quote Originally Posted by justubes View Post
    What do you guys isolate the gigafoil it with.

With networking, believe me, you may possibly find it more important than a select 2 dac rendering music like you guys use.

Put you most precious isolation on the first system, which is the streaming setup.

Even exotic power cords will show the same characters or more so than powering some components in the audio setup.

Tweaks or even upgrades to the main system can be put on long hold until every aspect in the streaming system has been dealt with.

The permutations and combinations in upgrading and tweaking have much more room for improvements than your main audio system.

It good for those who have say a Select. Nothing for further OCD upgrading.

A pretty decent dac with a finely setup networking system will smack a Select 2 streaming using a barebones basic networking system.

To a point where the setup of streaming networking system should or or even exceed the cost of a say a $10, 20k front end.
    ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I refer to mechanical isolation, maybe try some stillpoint or your favourite footers.

You possible will be very surprised.

GigaFoil v4 Inline Ethernet Filter

I refer to mechanical isolation, maybe try some stillpoint or your favourite footers.

You possible will be very surprised.
    Ok, thanks for clarifying!

I placed Ultra SS under Gigafoil upon hookup, and removed them shortly after, it messed with the mid range of my sound, and I experienced this same issue with Ultra 5’s on my speakers returning back to OEM spikes.

Gigafoil was new and maybe not broken in? But after my speaker experience, I did remove them.

Maybe Ultra Minis may be better suited?

My switch now rests on Ultra SS feeding Gigafoil out into the server which rests on Ultra 6 on a HRS M3X platform.

I’ll circle back and play around a bit since I’m idle in purchases and can’t leave well enough alone.

Every time I have heard still points used - the mid range disappears - remove the still points - mid range returns.

There are much more cost efficient isolation methods available that don't denigrate sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob181 View Post
    Every time I have heard still points used - the mid range disappears - remove the still points - mid range returns.

There are much more cost efficient isolation methods available that don't denigrate sound.
    I updated my post, it was the mid range and not the low end. No issues after I pulled from Gigafoil and speakers, all other locations no issues.

Years ago I bought some 4"x4"x1/2" sorbothane pieces off of e-bay. I keep finding uses for them in my system. I use a 2"x2"x1/2" piece under the GigaFoil and the same size under each of the feet of the Keces. It helps keep air and distance from under each piece. Simple things can make a difference.

And I thought I took this thread off topic.

I have to share an interesting observation. I recently installed the Keces P3 to my Gigafoil and the sound improved at the time. Since then I was not liking the sound of my digital (harsh and thin). I finally figured out what happended. I added the Sbooster power supply to my Aqvox switch. I removed it and placed the original wall wart and the sound warmed up and smoothed out. I have a Van De Graaf power supply that I just tried and I think it is slightly better than the wall wart. Aqvox does not recommend using any other power supply except their own. I may have to buy another Keces P3 to find out. This whole digital chain is so touchy you have to be very careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
    I have to share an interesting observation. I recently installed the Keces P3 to my Gigafoil and the sound improved at the time. Since then I was not liking the sound of my digital (harsh and thin). I finally figured out what happended. I added the Sbooster power supply to my Aqvox switch. I removed it and placed the original wall wart and the sound warmed up and smoothed out. I have a Van De Graaf power supply that I just tried and I think it is slightly better than the wall wart. Aqvox does not recommend using any other power supply except their own. I may have to buy another Keces P3 to find out. This whole digital chain is so touchy you have to be very careful.
    Yes, I agree it’s all trial and gear.

For me, I did run the P3 on the AQVox SE, and put the original SMPS back and told myself to listen to the factory and move on.

Has anyone tried the SOTM audiophile switch? I’ve read some good things about it.

Ken
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Looking forward any opinion about SOtM audiophile switch as well..

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Has anyone tried the SOTM audiophile switch? I’ve read some good things about it.

Ken
    Hi Ken,
    I ordered one with the clock input. It should be here soon.

Dave
    Speaker: Rockport Avior & Mira, B&W 803 D
    Amp: Nagra HD Monos, McIntosh Mc303 & 601
    Pre: Nagra HD pre
    Source: Esoteric K-01X & G-01, Aurender W20
    Cable: Transparent Ref Gen 5 SC & Ref XL PC
    Grounding: Tripoint Elite, Thor SE, Emperor Mkii

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    Hi Ken,
    I ordered one with the clock input. It should be here soon.

Dave
    Congrats Dave! So you will clock off your G-01? Is the clock input 10 MHz?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Congrats Dave! So you will clock off your G-01? Is the clock input 10 MHz?

Ken
    Yes to both

I got the SOtM yesterday and got everything connected. I'm powering the SOtM with an Uptone Audio Ultracap LPS 1.2 and it's clocked by the Esoteric G-01 connected by an Audioquest 50ohm BNC. It's hard to pinpoint where the changes are coming from with so many additions all at once but the overall sound after one night of listening is the best streaming experience I've had so far. Streaming has always had a hash in the background making music sound less dynamic and upper frequencies sometimes had glare that isn't there on cds. There is now a much better flow and added dynamics that make music sound effortless. To my ears everything sounded more natural. I had to use my former Transparent ethernet cable between the SOtM and GigaFoil and will replace that with an AQ Diamond to keep all AQ Diamond after the switch.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    I got the SOtM yesterday and got everything connected. I'm powering the SOtM with an Uptone Audio Ultracap LPS 1.2 and it's clocked by the Esoteric G-01 connected by an Audioquest 50ohm BNC. It's hard to pinpoint where the changes are coming from with so many additions all at once but the overall sound after one night of listening is the best streaming experience I've had so far. Streaming has always had a hash in the background making music sound less dynamic and upper frequencies sometimes had glare that isn't there on cds. There is now a much better flow and added dynamics that make music sound effortless. To my ears everything sounded more natural. I had to use my former Transparent ethernet cable between the SOtM and GigaFoil and will replace that with an AQ Diamond to keep all AQ Diamond after the switch.

Dave
    Super Dave, didn’t you also get or have the AQVox SE as well?

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    Super Dave, didn’t you also get or have the AQVox SE as well?

Yes,
    I ordered the AQVox first but do to a shipping error, it showed up the day after I got the SOtM connected. With all of my equipment, getting the SOtM installed was a task. 2 LPS, the SOtM, GigaFoil, and adding another BNC in an already crowded space with no more outlets available leaves little desire to switch right now. I'm going to live with the SOtM for awhile and keep the AQVox for an office system without a external clock but if I get the itch to try it out, I'll let you know. I really wanted to have it a couple weeks before the SOtM arrived but schitt happens sometimes.

Dave

Any new updates, thoughts, opinions?

thanks
    Focal Sopra 2, MC452, C2300, MCD1100, MT2 w/Hana SL, HRS, Bel Canto Stream, Schiit Yggy, AQ Niagara 5000 w/Hurricanes, WW Silver 7’s.

One thing that bothers me a little about the implementation of the Gigafoil is that the 5V power supply has influence over the final sound. Depending on the supply, it can change the character, notably the Keces versus the supplied linear unit that comes with the Gigafoil as ordered.

I know that different supplies can affect the sound most notably from transmitting common mode noise from the AC, a back door, to lesser extents from the power supply itself, especially if 3 terminal regulators are used. The Gigafoil effectively blocks noise from the Ethernet line, but I wonder how much is re-introduced to the clean side of the filter from the PSU.

In deciding about pulling the trigger on the Gigafoil, why not add a simple Ethernet Isolator to stop the common mode noise from venturing further. Ideally an optical circuit can do this as well, but the PSU for the media converters plus the process of conversion from optical to wired add the noise back in.

For the wiring: Ethernet line -> Gigafoil -> Isolator -> Streamer. In my case, PC Media Server -> JCAT Net Femto (PSU Linear 5V) Bridged -> 25m Cat5e -> Gigafoil -> Isolator -> Lumin U1 -> Accuphase DC-950 DAC

Quote Originally Posted by Rms View Post
    In deciding about pulling the trigger on the Gigafoil, why not add a simple Ethernet Isolator to stop the common mode noise from venturing further. Ideally an optical circuit can do this as well, but the PSU for the media converters plus the process of conversion from optical to wired add the noise back in.
    There are discussions of using medical Ethernet isolator at audiophilestyle.com . I have the impression that its feedback is much more varied. Someone even measured one popular isolator and posted a negative report - but I'm unable to find it due to the forum name change breaking old links and google searches.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    There are discussions of using medical Ethernet isolator at audiophilestyle.com . I have the impression that its feedback is much more varied. Someone even measured one and posted a negative report - but I'm unable to find it due to the forum name change breaking old links or some searches.
    Oh, the kindergarten, once they quit bickering with each other, I may decide to post again. To the topic at hand, measurements would have to be fairly picky, the tool would need to discriminate what's the signal and what's the noise, for an Ethernet stream, that's a tall ask, wouldn't you think? One stand out for the Baaske is that leakage currents are gone, at 50/60Hz where they are a real nuisance (for audio terms).

I have had my GigaFoil v4 with Keces P3 in my System for a few weeks. Waiting on a 0.6 meter Revelation audio ethernet cable but with a generic Cat5 cable from the Gigafoil to my silent PC, the system is more relaxed with perhaps a touch of increased detail. I like the changes it has brought. Having had this same setup minus the Keces with the Revelation cable on demo already, I can confirm the Keces absolutely improves the Gigafoil. Now I am curious whether or not I will hear any changes/improvements when I add the Revelation Audio cable in.

My Gigafoil is connected by a 9 meter Generic Ethernet cable from Amazon to my Asus Router.
    Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, ClearAudio Performance SE, Satisfy Arm & Maestro Wood MM Cartridge
    Power: 3 x 20 Amp Lines, Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Shunyata Sigma v2 NR, Block Audio Power Cords, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
    Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - Alpha CGS cables
    Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon Modified) Buffalo GS2016 Switches powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
    Cables: Wireworld Platinum Starlight 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 SCs, 1M & 6M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
    Other: Isoacoustics GAIA I footers on the Kharmas, GIK/Vicoustics/Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Ultra SS, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

I would say, every cable you upgrade will benifit your system. I've swapped out all of my generic ethernet cables and I feel my system has improved with each move. A little more quiet. A little more detailed. Maybe a lttle more relaxed.

Craig, Darrel,

I have went through various cables and have realized a difference in my system and would think you will as well, this includes power and dc cables from the liner power supplies.

Im expecting any day now the upgraded 15M Belden cable with German made termination by Metz put together by Ghent to serve as the replacement cable.

This cable will replace the generic Cat 6 and plastic termination between the Gigafoil and the AQVox SE switch.

I’ll announce this on my thread to help others know if a better than generic cable is worth it or not - my gut tells me yes, and you don’t need as high end like from the Gigafoil to your DAC or Streamer.

I replaced my generic ethernet cable from my router to my computer which is my Roon hub. One problem I couldn't figure out was why I was getting disconnect messages on my IPad when I used Roon. I would get a message. "Check you internet connection".It was off and on. Frustrating to say the least. I now use a Supra Cat8 cable from the router to the computer. I haven't received one disconnect message since the change. That alone is worth the price.

As I have a 9 meter run from my Router, I am searching for that ‘known good’/not expensive Ethernet cable.
    Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, ClearAudio Performance SE, Satisfy Arm & Maestro Wood MM Cartridge
    Power: 3 x 20 Amp Lines, Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Shunyata Sigma v2 NR, Block Audio Power Cords, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
    Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon Modified) Buffalo GS2016 Switches powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
    Cables: Wireworld Platinum Starlight 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 SCs, 1M & 6M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
    Other: Isoacoustics GAIA I footers on the Kharmas, GIK/Vicoustics/Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Ultra SS, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

On a little bit of a whim, I just purchased a 10 Meter Supra Cat 8 Ethernet cable. That should put that section of ‘signal’ to bed. Now I can obsess about other parts.

Quote Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
    On a little bit of a whim, I just purchased a 10 Meter Supra Cat 8 Ethernet cable. That should put that section of ‘signal’ to bed. Now I can obsess about other parts.
    I'll be curious to hear your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
    Let me know what you think...the Supra Cat8 has a singular character all its own.

Be sure to burn it in well, also, before making any assessments. It is very detailed.

I bought the Gigafoil V4 with the mistaken idea that I could use it downstream of my switch and it would affect the entire network. Apparently, the Gigafoil has to be upstream of the switch which means only one device in my network will be affected.

There is also the problem of using the Gigafoil. You need an extra Ethernet cable. I'd intended to brace it with a pair of Nordost Haimdall 2's going into the switch and then use Ansuz ethernet cables upstream of the switch. So now what do I do, move one of the Haimdall 2's upstream of the switch and into the Gigafoil and then use one of my expensive Ansuz Ethernet cables from there to my Lumin X1?
    Bud<br>

AAVIK: S-280 Streamer, D-280 DAC, I-280 Integrated Amplifier]
    NAIM: Atom HE Headphone Amp, Superlumina Speaker Cables, Power Cables
    HARBETH: 30.2 40th Anniversary Speakers
    FOCAL:: Utopia Headphones
    ANSUZ: C2 Power Cable, A2 Power Distributor, D2 Ethernet Cables, D2 PowerSwitch, D2 Interconnect
    NORDOST: Heimdall 2 Ethernet and Power Cables
    QUADRASPIRE: SVT Equipment Stand
    SKYLAN: Speaker Stands
    UPTONE:Linear Power Supply
    DANACABLE:: Headphone cables

Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck View Post
    I bought the Gigafoil V4 with the mistaken idea that I could use it downstream of my switch and it would affect the entire network. Apparently, the Gigafoil has to be upstream of the switch which means only one device in my network will be affected.

There is also the problem of using the Gigafoil. You need an extra Ethernet cable. I'd intended to brace it with a pair of Nordost Haimdall 2's going into the switch and then use Ansuz ethernet cables upstream of the switch. So now what do I do, move one of the Haimdall 2's upstream of the switch and into the Gigafoil and then use one of my expensive Ansuz Ethernet cables from there to my Lumin X1?
    Semper Fi L/N

You have some cables, and these will make a difference.

Gigafoil has been reported to work upstream between your Modem/router and switch, and offered a modest difference, but Gigafoil IMO is best for the main 2 channel system. .

The real benefit is as you describe going from the switch to Gigafoil to the Lumin, and yes it’s only one benefit. If you want more, then add an audio switch and your whole house will benefit on what’s hooked up to it.

I’d say try putting the Heimdells from the modem to the router and router to the switch, and use the Ansuz from Gigafoil to the Lumin. Place a cheap cable between the switch and Gigafoil. Don’t like it, mix it up again.

I’m running a test when I get my new cable to replace my general purpose RJ45 between the switch and Gigafoil and have a thread called Digital Front End - worth a read

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    Semper Fi L/N

You have some cables, and these will make a difference.

Gigafoil has been reported to work upstream between your Modem/router and switch, and offered a modest difference, but Gigafoil IMO is best for the main 2 channel system. .

The real benefit is as you describe going from the switch to Gigafoil to the Lumin, and yes it’s only one benefit. If you want more, then add an audio switch and your whole house will benefit on what’s hooked up to it.

I’d say try putting the Heimdells from the modem to the router and router to the switch, and use the Ansuz from Gigafoil to the Lumin. Place a cheap cable between the switch and Gigafoil. Don’t like it, mix it up again.

I’m running a test when I get my new cable to replace my general purpose RJ45 between the switch and Gigafoil and have a thread called Digital Front End - worth a read

Thanks for the advice.

I'm going wireless from my router to an Apple Airport Express. From there I'll use one of my Haimdall 2's to the AQVox switch and then another H2 to the Giigafoil. I"ve got a new Ansuz D2 Ethernet cable on the way that will go from there to the Lumin X1. I have an Ansuz A2 to go from the switch to a Naim Nova and an Ansuz X1 to go from the switch to a Lumin L1 (NAS Library).

When everything arrives I'll try different configurations. I have the option of running an Ethernet cable directly from the Apple router to the switch but the Airport Express has worked perfectly so far.
    Bud<br>

AAVIK: S-280 Streamer, D-280 DAC, I-280 Integrated Amplifier]
    NAIM: Atom HE Headphone Amp, Superlumina Speaker Cables, Power Cables
    HARBETH: 30.2 40th Anniversary Speakers
    FOCAL:: Utopia Headphones
    ANSUZ: C2 Power Cable, A2 Power Distributor, D2 Ethernet Cables, D2 PowerSwitch, D2 Interconnect
    NORDOST: Heimdall 2 Ethernet and Power Cables
    QUADRASPIRE: SVT Equipment Stand
    SKYLAN: Speaker Stands
    UPTONE:Linear Power Supply
    DANACABLE:: Headphone cables

Seems like you have it down knowing your options, and for sure try running cable from the router to the switch.

And if possible, keep your Mainz D8 Distributor and Cable!

Keep us posted...

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team