GigaFoil v4 Inline Ethernet Filter - Page 12
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: GigaFoil v4 Inline Ethernet Filter

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    Ken, I'm wondering if I can get an Ifi PS and put the regulator used in the LPS 1.2 behind it and get Ultracap quality sound.
    Do you mean using an IFI as an energizing suppy for the UpTone LPS 1.2,
    or using the LT3045 regulator devices as used inside the LPS 1.2 ?

I have built a very nice semi-DIY LPSU for my digital audio using various regulator modules, to get hi end performance on the cheap.

The other question is what voltage and current do you need ?
    Analog: modded Yamaha PX-2, Denon DL-103r, MFA Magus preamp, Mogami/Vampire/DIY cables
    Digital: Firewire ext. HDD, modded Mac Mini server, Intona/Regen/Curious USB chain, (3x)ultralow noise LPSUs
    2-channel: Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Crown XLS2500, Acoustat Spectra 3300, (2x)Velodyne 12" servo subs
    Other: OPPO BDP-103, DIY and Nordost Blue Heaven cables, all speakers and gear floated on DIY rollerblocks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    the "clean" optical signal is then converted back to an electrical signal before exiting the device. extrapolating this to the larger audio world...

1) the same principle would seem to be at work in optical s/pdif connections.

2) SFP optical network input of the type used in some lumin network players would seem to be the future.
    1) Yes: Toslink would be free of signal noise, but in typical implementations it introduces more jitter due to conversion, because the clock is embedded inside the SPDIF signal (synchronous). With optical conversion of Ethernet, it is not sensitive to jitter because the network player will use its own clock (asynchronous).
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

3. Thanks Alpinist, aKnyght thanked for this post
    Likes Alpinist, kzhtoo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    1) Yes: Toslink would be free of signal noise, but in typical implementations it introduces more jitter, because the clock is embedded inside the SPDIF signal (synchronous). With optical conversion of Ethernet, it is not sensitive to jitter because the network player will use its own clock (asynchronous).
    thanks -- fortunately my dac will switch over to its internal clock, given a source signal of sufficient quality. so, in my case optical s/pdif is a good way eliminate upstream electrical noise in the signal... but, only up to 96kHz.

converting the parts of a LAN serving an audio system to fiber with routers/switches having SFP ports which then connect to components having SPF inputs or (less optimally) media converters would seem to be the future.

again, my knowledge is limited here.
    kanjiroba 6883-yak + roon rock > t+a dac 8 dsd > almarro a318b > viking acoustics berlin r mk-ii | alp-tone audio alp.wE cables

Post Thanks / Like

I have a J cat Net Card Femto to a local router to the AQVOX SE Switch. This is connected to the GigaFoil V4 that I recieved yesterday. I can tell you the GigaFoil made a bigger difference than the AQVOX switch. This thing has transformed my digital. I am thrilled. I have not tried changing the power supply to the Gigafoil as I love the sound the way it is. I am using the best Wireworld through out. I even ordered Sablon cables and received them yesterday, thinking the brightness I was getting was do to the Wireworld. I have no desire to even try the Sablon. Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
    I have a J cat Net Card Femto to a local router to the AQVOX SE Switch. This is connected to the GigaFoil V4 that I recieved yesterday. I can tell you the GigaFoil made a bigger difference than the AQVOX switch. This thing has transformed my digital. I am thrilled. I have not tried changing the power supply to the Gigafoil as I love the sound the way it is. I am using the best Wireworld through out. I even ordered Sablon cables and received them yesterday, thinking the brightness I was getting was do to the Wireworld. I have no desire to even try the Sablon. Jeff
    Why not try the Sablon since you have them?

My hunch is a new linear power supply will do you right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Power Conditioning, Filters & Switch: Nordost QRT Power Product Line, Furutech GTX-D NCF/GTX Wall Plate/105D, 20 AMP Dedicated with Surge Protection at Panel, AQVox SE switch
    Cables, Isolation, Room Treatment: Nordost Supreme Reference (Odin) Distribution, Reference Line (Valhalla 2) Components and Speakers, HRS M3X Platforms & Damping Plates. Stillpoint’s Ultra 6/SS and Vicoustic Room Treatments
    Power & Sound: D’Agostino Pre-Amplifier to D’Agostino Momentum Mono’s driving Wilson Alexia’s
    Source: Aurender N10, Brinkmann Nyquist MKII

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jeff,

Upgrade the power supply. The stock one isn’t very good. Even the $50 IFI power supply makes a substantial improvement. The Keces P3 will make even more of an improvement but costs more.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with
    Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock,
    Renderer V2 and Roon Nucleus Plus
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: AudioQuest Niagara 7000

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Jeff for the info. Have you compared Gigafoil alone in the chain vs. Gigafoil + AQVOX SE in the chain?

I think the question a few of us wondering is if Gigafoil further improves a system that already has AQVOX SE.

9. Thanks Alpinist thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I already told you that I have the aqvox and when I added the foil to the mix the sound improved. I think what your saying is can you go right from router to foil with same effects?

Post Thanks / Like

Ken what would be better for the foil Keces or Sbooster?

Post Thanks / Like

Ken what would be better for the foil Keces or Sbooster?
    Jeff,

I’ve not done a direct comparison. I know people that own the Keces P3 and the SBooster MkII. I’ve been told that both are excellent and significantly better than the IFI that I own.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with
    Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock,
    Renderer V2 and Roon Nucleus Plus
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: AudioQuest Niagara 7000

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast