Duo Omega G1 speaker hiss and amp hum - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Duo Omega G1 speaker hiss and amp hum

Gents - good discussion.
    When playing music - the sound is delightful with the Pass XA30.8 + ARC LS28 combo.
    If I turn everything off and just have the amp powered - I get hiss.
    My music room is heavily treated so its even more noticeable.
    The hiss does bother me somewhat and it's helpful to see what the AG community experience with this is.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried any other amps, than the two Pass models?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: AMG V12 + AMG 12j2 arm + Benz Micro Gullwing SLR MC/ Cardas Clear Beyond Phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Grandinote Celio/ Aurender N100H with Curious USB/ Synology NAS with Roon and HD Plex linear PSU with Shunyata HD/ AQ Diamond RJ45 + AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE/ Brinkmann Nyquist MK II/ Ayre KX-5 Twenty/ Soulution 511/ WyWires Platinum ICs + power cables/ Magico S3 mk2/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ REL S5 SHO/ REL Blue/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata AlphaHC (x2)+ Alpha+Alpha Analogue+Alpha Digital/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints Ultra SS.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Sbooster LPSU/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Pass Labs doesn’t publish conventional S/N ratios. I’m curious how they compare to other amps.
    Joe

Valvet E2, Avantgarde Duo XD, MC275VI, MC452, MC303, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300,
    Pass XA25, Job INTegrated, Cary 300B SE, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2,
    McIntosh MCLK12

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by haygeebaby View Post
    Gents - good discussion.
    When playing music - the sound is delightful with the Pass XA30.8 + ARC LS28 combo.
    If I turn everything off and just have the amp powered - I get hiss.
    My music room is heavily treated so its even more noticeable.
    The hiss does bother me somewhat and it's helpful to see what the AG community experience with this is.
    Hello,

High Eff speakers in theory need very quiet amps.
    In theory only. Because this hiss will actually decrease
    the S/N ratio, adding noise to the signal played.
    In practice, only the result counts.
    I have 2 different pairs of 300B monoblocks. One pair is very sophisticated, with a huge power supply. It gives a little hum in the woofer and very little hiss in the horn when no music is playing. The other one is dead silent : uses a very simple and less powerful power supply. When music plays, most people prefer the noiser amp : better dynamics, attacks, speed and resolution. The silent one is more euphonic and sweet.
    So I would tell you “don’t be bothered” by the hiss. As long as you do not hear it when music plays, and you like the music a lot, who cares for the hiss when no music is played ?
    Moreover, many recordings have been made with a hiss/ hum that you can clearly hear when listening to the music. The brain is able to cancel it when you focus on the music.
    We should always try to stay focused at listening the music. Not the gear.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
    Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

5. Likes Kuoppis, Marslo, mallen123, bzr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gents
    Just want to close this topic off and say thanks for the feedback.
    It looks like this amp speaker combo does have hiss then.
    FYI - I changed back to a XLR cable between pre and power amp - hiss level went down slightly.
    That being said - the Pass Avantgarde combo is wonderful when playing music.
    The Pass Quad 57 combo - is amazing.
    Anyway - more questions to come for you horny guys.
    Regards
    Ken

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ken,

Sorry for the hiss, I totally understand. It’s the nature of the beast. My First Watt, Valvet and McIntosh gear, for example, are dead quiet. Everything else I have has varying levels of hiss or even a little hum depending on the combination. Even some components proximity to each other can affect hum to a certain degree.
    Joe

Valvet E2, Avantgarde Duo XD, MC275VI, MC452, MC303, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300,
    Pass XA25, Job INTegrated, Cary 300B SE, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2,
    McIntosh MCLK12

Post Thanks / Like

Duo Omega G1 speaker hiss and amp hum

I agree, it’s a problem with the AGs. I didn’t hear any noise at all with Magicos, when I had a Pass amp.

Most probably the noise floor increases gradually, the more powerful the connected amplifier is. This is due to the size of its transformator. Should not be any problem with the flea watt amps usually used with horns.

My question would however be, why would anyone attempt to drive a loudspeaker with 107 db sensitivity with an amp with several hundred watts power output?

Big rig: AMG V12 + AMG 12j2 arm + Benz Micro Gullwing SLR MC/ Cardas Clear Beyond Phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Grandinote Celio/ Aurender N100H with Curious USB/ Synology NAS with Roon and HD Plex linear PSU with Shunyata HD/ AQ Diamond RJ45 + AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE/ Brinkmann Nyquist MK II/ Ayre KX-5 Twenty/ Soulution 511/ WyWires Platinum ICs + power cables/ Magico S3 mk2/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ REL S5 SHO/ REL Blue/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata AlphaHC (x2)+ Alpha+Alpha Analogue+Alpha Digital/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints Ultra SS.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Sbooster LPSU/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    I agree, it’s a problem with the AGs. I didn’t hear any noise at all with Magicos, when I had a Pass amp.

Most probably the noise floor increases gradually, the more powerful the connected amplifier is. This is due to the size of its transformator. Should not be any problem with the flea watt amps usually used with horns.

My question would however be, why would anyone attempt to drive a loudspeaker with 107 db sensitivity with an amp with several hundred watts power output?

Regarding my experience, using the McIntosh MC452 with 450wpc or the MC303 with 300wpc on my Duo, they sound great and are dead quiet. These amps may not ultimately have the same 3D of either tubes or some other solid state amps but they are smooth, sweet and dynamic as all heck. Even the amps Avantgarde sells are pretty powerful. I know recommended power is greater than 10wpc. They want or appreciate the voltage swing of powerful amps.
    Joe

McIntosh MCLK12

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, usually something’s gotta give .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Pass Labs doesn’t publish conventional S/N ratios. I’m curious how they compare to other amps.
    They are on the low side compared to other SS designs.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Vitus SM-103 / MSB M202
    Digital: Lampi Pacific + Lampi DSD Komputer
    Cables: AQ WEL Signature IC / Shunyata Anaconda Z-Tron SC / AQ Hurricane PCs

12. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2