Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thoughts on Diminishing returns

My position is diminishing returns can apply in some circumstances but not a blanket or across the board statement based on an arbitrary price point..

I find often times the term is used on forums to justify ones reason to stick with what they have or in an attempt to make others look foolish for having expensive higher end gear. I don't recall anyone here doing that. Of course, most here have high end gear, LOL

Maybe it's not so much diminishing returns as people may spend a bit more money but actually be making more of a lateral move.

What brings this to my mind is a recent upgrade. I was given a good deal on a demo 526 preamp with DAC. I was allowed to try it in my system. When I did, I instantly felt I had entered a new realm of hi fi. Before commiting I went through an exhaustive exercise of putting amps in and out of my system, trying different combinations to actually create a diminishing return. I could not. The 526 retail is twice the retail of the Pass XP10 and Hegel HD30 and the 526 was obviously better, no matter which amp I used with the Pass/Hegel. Even with the 512 into the XP10, which is somewhat dispreportioned based on retail pricing, I wasn't able to create what I'd call a diminishing return.

"Diminishing returns" is subjective, no way to measure it. I suppose it's up to the individual to decide whether a unit is worth twice the price tag. How would you measure twice as good? Is it at the point of an easily noticeable improvement?

Either way bashing high end or claiming a blanket diminishing return, like anything over $5k, or whatever monetary point you feel diminishing returns would kick in, is not correct. IMO.

Not only is this subjective, I'm also speaking in general terms as there's always an exception, like a value priced over achiever. I feel it's important for audiophiles, especially newer, to understand that there is higher performance as the price goes up. Like anything debateable, hear for yourself, then, form your opinion.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Re: Thoughts on Diminishing returns

Interesting topic. The point of diminishing returns in this hobby is no doubt personal and subjective and probably depends a lot in monetary terms on what we've already invested in our systems. I think sometimes we may 'justify' a component that delivers a different (but not necessarily better) sound, e.g., maybe we've just grown tired of what we have! A couple of approaches that may help in avoiding buyer's remorse: try the new thing in your own environment before buying... and have some goals in mind early in the process (e.g., what characteristics of my system's sound am I trying to change/improve and how much am I willing to spend).

If it sounds better even just slightly and it is worth it to you then why not buy it if you can afford it.

I agree, there are a lot of people that have lesser gear and I suspect out of jealously, they try and make you look foolish. I see it all the time on other forums. I got lambasted on the AC forum when I received a pair of Spatial Audio M3 speakers and compared them head to head with my Magnepans. I reported that the Maggies sounded much better in my system. I had friends come over and they said the same thing and how disappointing the M3's were. People were trashing my Maggies and me lol.

Bryan, congrats on the new Levinson!
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Great topic! One point to add is that "diminishing" still usually means "better"... even if only slightly better. Yes, there is gear out there that is 2x or 3x or 4x the price of whatever unit you are comparing to, and sometimes the price has nothing to do with quality of sound (or even quality in general). This is a tough part about the hobby... You can't really tell by looking. YOUR ear hears things differently from others and you need to make your own choices. Still, the education from forums like this one can absolutely help inform your decisions... If you LISTEN to the right people. ha!

lets not forget ones almighty ego plays a part in this as well .........
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    lets not forget ones almighty ego plays a part in this as well .........

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post

"Diminishing returns" is subjective, no way to measure it. I suppose it's up to the individual to decide whether a unit is worth twice the price tag. How would you measure twice as good? Is it at the point of an easily noticeable improvement?

Either way bashing high end or claiming a blanket diminishing return, like anything over $5k, or whatever monetary point you feel diminishing returns would kick in, is not correct. IMO.

Not only is this subjective, I'm also speaking in general terms as there's always an exception, like a value priced over achiever. I feel it's important for audiophiles, especially newer, to understand that there is higher performance as the price goes up. Like anything debateable, hear for yourself, then, form your opinion.
    Good topic. It really is subjective. My upgrade to Reference 3A Reflector monitors from Reference 3A MM DeCapo BE monitors (price $ 12K vs. 3K), as well as changing my amp to an Octave RE 320, has vastly improved, and made much more believable, the reproduction of string quartets, which greatly depends on the capable rendition of subtle micro-detail. On my system this reproduction is as good and convincing as I have ever heard. On all other music, from jazz rock over piano to orchestral, there are also significant and to me important improvements, but I would not rate them quite to be as spectacular as on string quartets, the convincing reproduction of which is dear to my heart.

So it also depends on the music you are playing, and on your sonic priorities, just how much of a difference it makes. Of course, to someone else an upgrade like mine might be just as significant for other reasons.

In any case, to me the upgrade certainly was anything but a case of "diminishing returns".
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

I was really impressed with Ref 3 speakers and a big fan of Octave.

Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post
    Good topic. It really is subjective. My upgrade to Reference 3A Reflector monitors from Reference 3A MM DeCapo BE monitors (price $ 12K vs. 3K), as well as changing my amp to an Octave RE 320, has vastly improved, and made much more believable, the reproduction of string quartets, which greatly depends on the capable rendition of subtle micro-detail. On my system this reproduction is as good and convincing as I have ever heard. On all other music, from jazz rock over piano to orchestral, there are also significant and to me important improvements, but I would not rate them quite to be as spectacular as on string quartets, the convincing reproduction of which is dear to my heart.

So it also depends on the music you are playing, and on your sonic priorities, just how much of a difference it makes. Of course, to someone else an upgrade like mine might be just as significant for other reasons.

In any case, to me the upgrade certainly was anything but a case of "diminishing returns".

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

I think the law of diminishing returns for audio is primarily to show that increases in spending on your system aren't linear with regards to the sound quality increasing. For instance, if you started off with a $5k system and you replaced it with a $10k system, your sound quality is not going to increase by 2x. And this doesn't take into consideration the money you would lose from selling your $5k system in order to purchase your $10k system. The higher the value of the gear in your system, the less linear the increases in spending become with regards to the potential increase in sound quality. It doesn't mean you can't buy meaningful improvements to your system, its just that meaningful improvements become much more expensive.

The other side of this is that without careful system matching, you can easily buy much more expensive gear that is a lateral move or a backwards move in sound quality which is an expensive lesson to learn.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Would you say that your new speakers which costs 4x more than the speakers you replaced them with sound 4x times as good?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    I think the law of diminishing returns for audio is primarily to show that increases in spending on your system aren't linear with regards to the sound quality increasing. For instance, if you started off with a $5k system and you replaced it with a $10k system, your sound quality is not going to increase by 2x. And this doesn't take into consideration the money you would lose from selling your $5k system in order to purchase your $10k system. The higher the value of the gear in your system, the less linear the increases in spending become with regards to the potential increase in sound quality. It doesn't mean you can't buy meaningful improvements to your system, its just that meaningful improvements become much more expensive.

The other side of this is that without careful system matching, you can easily buy much more expensive gear that is a lateral move or a backwards move in sound quality which is an expensive lesson to learn.

Nicely stated and I agree.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Would you say that your new speakers which costs 4x more than the speakers you replaced them with sound 4x times as good?
    No, but that is not the right question to ask.

My Schiit Vidar amp makes pretty good music, even though it cannot compete with my Octave RE 320 amp. It costs $ 700. But does it make much better music than my $ 65 Chinese class D amp that I once bought from Amazon for speaker break in? I don't think it's even twice as good, but it cost > 10 times more! It's not that the Schiit Vidar is bad -- it is well regarded in its price bracket -- but that little $ 65 class D amp is embarrassingly good. So if you just go by music per dollar, even in the $ 700 price class you go by diminishing returns. My stock car radio also makes music, but does a $3,000 stereo make 15 times more music?

Not really. You see, the music per dollar argument simply doesn't work.

For my situation, the better question to ask would be if I got a subjectively spectacular upgrade for, in my terms, a still very reasonable amount of money? And did I get that upgrade on much cheaper terms than in a different system context that would not be as tailor made for me? To all that I say emphatically, yes! And as such I don't think "diminishing returns" really applies in any meaningful way.
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

As far as linearity, how do you know? Just because in your judgment, you, don't think there's twice the difference, the next guy might feel it is twice the difference.

I can give you two examples, of IMO, there's twice the difference at near twice the price; the Hegel 590 is easily twice better than the 360, and, the Levinson 526 at $20k with phono stage and DAC, is easily better than the 326s straight stereo preamp at $10k. Not only is it a much better value due to those phono/DAC features, it's a better preamp section.

I agree that may not always be the case.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

[QUOTE=Al M.;259925]No, but that is not the right question to ask.

My Schiit Vidar amp makes pretty good music, even though it cannot compete with my Octave RE 320 amp. It costs $ 700. But does it make much better music than my $ 65 Chinese class D amp that I once bought from Amazon for speaker break in? I don't think it's even twice as good, but it cost > 10 times more! It's not that the Schiit Vidar is bad -- it is well regarded in its price bracket -- but that little $ 65 class D amp is embarrassingly good. So if you just go by music per dollar, even in the $ 700 price class you go by diminishing returns. My stock car radio also makes music, but does a $3,000 stereo make 15 times more music?

etMaybe I'm not understanding, but, I think you just said the same thing as Mep, just in different words.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

No, but that is not the right question to ask.

For my situation, the better question to ask would be if I got a subjectively spectacular upgrade for, in my terms, a still very reasonable amount of money? And did I get that upgrade on much cheaper terms than in a different system context that would not be as tailor made for me? To all that I say emphatically, yes! And as such I don't think "diminishing returns" really applies in any meaningful way.
    Al-Thanks for making my points about diminishing returns with your examples.

Maybe I'm not understanding, but, I think you just said the same thing as Mep, just in different words.
    Perhaps I did, but in the last paragraph of my post (that you didn't quote) I argued for why I think the "diminishing returns" argument is on shaky ground and doesn't really apply to my upgrade.

Also, since the non-linearity of gain per price already starts at an extremely low price level, as I pointed out, the music per dollar argument is already doomed to an ad absurdum early on, before it even applies to what we call High End.

And if the music per dollar argument is absurd, how meaningful then is an argument of "diminishing returns" as it is usually presented?

Well I hope the big spenders don't stop their obsession. I don't mind picking up yesterday's big thing for 50% less on the used market

Care to elaborate?
    just the fact that the word 'subjective' has been used in many of the responses is but one way that ones ego can influence. trying to out-do the next person buy spending more, not necessarily achieving 'better' yet satisfying your ego. Our egos are fed and satisfied in different ways .......
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Got it. LOL, I don't have to worry about trying to out spend anyone, you don't enter a donkey in the Kentucky Derby.
    just the fact that the word 'subjective' has been used in many of the responses is but one way that ones ego can influence. trying to out-do the next person buy spending more, not necessarily achieving 'better' yet satisfying your ego. Our egos are fed and satisfied in different ways .......

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Got it. LOL, I don't have to worry about trying to out spend anyone, you don't enter a donkey in the Kentucky Derby.
    Now that is funny!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

This thread is limiting returns to money. The return from a high end audio system is primarily intangible.
    But yes, hifi and nearly everything else in the world has diminishing returns.
    I have sex with the most beautiful woman in the world. The first time is more rewarding than the 1000th.

This is in reference to Dave (Mikado463)

Care to elaborate?
    Have you not witness audio clubs that are really mens - Mine is Bigger than Yours- Club.
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

I am not sure that you can put a number as to how many times a system sounds better. Does any one know what 2x, 3x, 5x, 10x sounds like? It is all subjective. You can't quantify it. I can see terms like it is slightly better, moderately better greatly better or what ever term you want to use.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    I am not sure that you can put a number as to how many times a system sounds better. Does any one know what 2x, 3x, 5x, 10x sounds like? It is all subjective. You can't quantify it. I can see terms like it is slightly better, moderately better greatly better or what ever term you want to use.
    Absolutely agree Mechnutt. It can be subjective since it is our own ears and opinion but can't really be subjective since how do you measure or make rules for improvement.
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

Quote Originally Posted by brad225 View Post
    Absolutely agree Mechnutt. It can be subjective since it is our own ears and opinion but can't really be subjective since how do you measure or make rules for improvement.
    Only by a jury of your peers....? LOL

I kid, I kid Thoughts on Diminishing returns
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

No, I don't get out much, LOL. I do see how that might happen.

Have you not witness audio clubs that are really mens - Mine is Bigger than Yours- Club.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

LOL, how true Brad !
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Having always been a frugal, value oriented type of guy "diminishing returns" was a major factor in any purchase. That said, as time goes on the fine line of diminishing returns is continually re-defining itself; be it audio equipment, food or lawn mowers.
    AKA J2Ordan
    McIntosh/Legacy/VPI/Bricasti/DIYCabling

My thoughts on diminishing returns are rapidly diminishing
    Legacy Audio Valor+Wavelet v2, Esoteric S-02 Amps HDPlex 300W, RevAudio Labs DC Umbilical, Esoteric Grandioso P1, P1PSU & dual D1 DACs, Cybershaft Prem Ltd OP21A 10 MHz Clock, Esoteric C-02X, Shunyata Everest 8000 & Altaira SG-NR hubs, Sigma SGC/CGC ground cables, VTX-Ag ground tails, AfterBurner8 duplexes, CSP Inc Q4B, S2B IEC plates, Shunyata Omega CLOCK-50 cables, Tubulus Concentus HDMI, Elrod Master Series Diamond SE & Masters Series Gold Power cords and Statement Gold XLRs, Diamond XLRs & Master Series Diamond XLRs, Shunyata OMEGA QR-s power cable, Anaconda Z-tron XLR, Elrod Statement Gold speaker cables, Adona Zero GX3, GX2, GX racks, Composite Audio CF-2010, Townshend Audio Podiums, HRS DPX Damping Plates, Stillpoints Ultra SS w/Ultra Bases, pArtScience 64-well, 2D QRD 3-inch SpaceArray Diffusors

Travel/Rip: Apple MacBook Pro 16” 2023 M2 Max, 12-core CPU, 38-core GPU, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD for Audirvana+ v3, iTunes, REW Audio Analyzer, dbPowerAmp, DVD Audio Extractor

Audioshark

In other words, when is good enough, good enough?

For someone like myself who is now soundly in the “it all matters” camp, the bar for diminishing returns is pretty high. But just like consumers, dealers also have to look at this proposition on a daily basis.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Maybe it's not so much diminishing returns as people may spend a bit more money but actually be making more of a lateral move.
    If room acoustics and speaker setup are not properly addressed, at some point any 'upgrade' becomes a mere lateral move.

To paraphrase Art Noxon from ASC (the tube trap company): if you don't take steps towards proper room treatment, your room acoustics may at some point be so limiting that true improvement of sound through gear upgrades cannot be achieved anymore, and the audiophile is left with each upgrade being just something different, another flavor, but never an actual step forward in sound.

From my own personal experience on work to improve my room acoustics, I agree with that opinion.

Granted, there may be the exceptional room where no or just marginal treatment is needed. Much more likely though is if an audiophile doesn't perform serious room treatment, he may never realize even half of the potential his gear is really capable of.

If only those of us could cure the disease that would get us to "good enough", LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    In other words, when is good enough, good enough?

For someone like myself who is now soundly in the “it all matters” camp, the bar for diminishing returns is pretty high. But just like consumers, dealers also have to look at this proposition on a daily basis.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

If room acoustics and speaker setup are not properly addressed, at some point any 'upgrade' becomes a mere lateral move.

To paraphrase Art Noxon from ASC (the tube trap company): if you don't take steps towards proper room treatment, your room acoustics may at some point be so limiting that true improvement of sound through gear upgrades cannot be achieved anymore, and the audiophile is left with each upgrade being just something different, another flavor, but never an actual step forward in sound.

From my own personal experience on work to improve my room acoustics, I agree with that opinion.

Granted, there may be the exceptional room where no or just marginal treatment is needed. Much more likely though is if an audiophile doesn't perform serious room treatment, he may never realize even half of the potential his gear is really capable of.
    True, that is why I have 3 absorption panels on my ceiling and two Daad4 bass traps. IN the future I might like two more DAAD4 traps. Nu sure if my g/f will tolerate that.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

agreed 100%, your 1st sentence speaks volumes. As for those in the 'it all matters' camp, while true, it matters nothing without first a proper 'foundation' !
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mordante View Post
    True, that is why I have 3 absorption panels on my ceiling and two Daad4 bass traps. IN the future I might like two more DAAD4 traps. Nu sure if my g/f will tolerate that.
    Seriously, unless it's her house....???
    Diminishing returns, ... there are some on here that have the same qualities, I'm one of them. Components, well, thats just easy,... how much joy does it give you.......

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    Seriously, unless it's her house....???
    Diminishing returns, ... there are some on here that have the same qualities, I'm one of them. Components, well, thats just easy,... how much joy does it give you.......
    My girlfriend and me have been a couple since 2001. We bought this house together 10 years ago. So it's as much her house as it is mine.
    The audio set is in the living room.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B. View Post
    Well I hope the big spenders don't stop their obsession. I don't mind picking up yesterday's big thing for 50% less on the used market
    AGreed.

My wife and I bought our current house in 2001, my system is in the living room as well.

Welcome to AS OT!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team