Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Is the Berkeley Reference 2 still a great DAC?

Over past few months the new MSB products have been conversation in terms of digital and DACs.

However, is the Berkeley Ref 2 still a competitive product at its price point?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by mdp632 View Post
    Over past few months the new MSB products have been conversation in terms of digital and DACs.

However, is the Berkeley Ref 2 still a competitive product at its price point?
    Nope. Reasons why coming soon.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Is the Berkeley Reference 2 still a great DAC?

New model?
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    New model?
    We will have to wait and see. We just can’t order any more REF2 DAC’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    We will have to wait and see. We just can’t order any more REF2 DAC’s.

To that end; perhaps a new model that has built in network streaming and a Roon endpoint. But, removes all the legacy ports.

Audioshark

To that end; perhaps a new model that has built in network streaming and a Roon endpoint. But, removes all the legacy ports.
    Wishful thinking.

Wishful thinking.

I know but, one can dream right? Seems like the trend is bye SPDIF, AES and soon USB. Hello; network rendering.

A self contained DAC without more boxes and cables to add network functionality makes sense in 2019.

But, again just my opinion.

Audioshark

I know but, one can dream right? Seems like the trend is bye SPDIF, AES and soon USB. Hello; network rendering.

A self contained DAC without more boxes and cables to add network functionality makes sense in 2019.

That’s definitely the way to go.

...A self contained DAC without more boxes and cables to add network functionality makes sense in 2019.

+1 ...my opinion as well. i am somewhat regretting recently buying a dac w/o network connectivity/rendering - but only for that reason.
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | almarro a318b + air tight atc-5 (phono) | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Yep. No doubt about it.

Slim Devices's Squeezebox was so ahead of its time!!

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    Slim Devices's Squeezebox was so ahead of its time!!
    They really were.
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Yes... New model is coming, all I was told is it was being called " New Technology DAC". Should be ready the first quarter 2019. ( Oh!... that's now)...It is going to use the same (great) box as the current reference DAC.....but to answer your question, the Berkeley Audio Reference MQA DAC is still a great DAC ... Network rendering is the way to go , but is it wired network or fiber optic connection???

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.

It’s nice to see them move forward but let’s see how long it takes to deliver.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by skater1950 View Post
    Yes... New model is coming, all I was told is it was being called " New Technology DAC". Should be ready the first quarter 2019. ( Oh!... that's now)...It is going to use the same (great) box as the current reference DAC.....but to answer your question, the Berkeley Audio Reference MQA DAC is still a great DAC ... Network rendering is the way to go , but is it wired network or fiber optic connection???
    I wonder if this “new technology “ is an FPGA running their algorithm.

New Reference 3 is on the Berkeley website.

http://www.berkeleyaudiodesign.com/a...ence-series-3/

That’s definitely the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    +1 ...my opinion as well. i am somewhat regretting recently buying a dac w/o network connectivity/rendering - but only for that reason.

I'll play a bit of devil's advocate here. Any Streamer/DAC combo that I'm aware of needs a NAS set up. With a dedicated streamer like most Aurenders, you can store your files on the Aurender itself without the need for external storage. I like the simple elegance of that.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Quote Originally Posted by rjc1845 View Post
    New Reference 3 is on the Berkeley website.

http://www.berkeleyaudiodesign.com/a...ence-series-3/
    Has anyone heard the Ref 3 yet? is it even shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by asindc View Post
    I'll play a bit of devil's advocate here. Any Streamer/DAC combo that I'm aware of needs a NAS set up. With a dedicated streamer like most Aurenders, you can store your files on the Aurender itself without the need for external storage. I like the simple elegance of that.
    Oh I like simple. A NAS , which i have is just a pain at times. More connections equal more wires, getting to be a mess. I guess as I get older, simple sure is ah, simple.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Has anyone heard the Ref 3 yet? is it even shipping?
    Err, still no USB or Ethernet...

Does anyone have an idea what it retails for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Err, still no USB or Ethernet...

Does anyone have an idea what it retails for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    No USB no Ethernet all for a cool $22,000
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    No USB no Ethernet all for a cool $22,000
    No comment.

Has anyone seen or heard the Reference 3 yet?

Audioshark

Has anyone seen or heard the Reference 3 yet?
    Yes, they just started shipping. Still no estimate on REF2 to REF3 upgrades.

Any others heard Ref3? I just took demo of one. Will have lots of time to observe this weeknd. Have owned a Ref1 with MQA for some time. Initial impression is quite positive. More texture, more organic, better bottom end. More musical. More dynamic. It’s still warming up.

everyone tells me to go MSB but I guess it wasn’t quite love at first sight when I demo’d a loaded up Reference months ago. Clearly a great DAC though.

just curious if anyone else has heard Ref3. Thanks.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Is the Berkeley  Reference 2 still a great DAC?