Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Magico A3 are finally broke in

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and thought I'd post a little on my Magico A3's. I ordered them May 23 2018 and received them November 5 2018. A long wait but, well worth it.

I sold off my Home theater gear at the end of 2017 and decided to go back to just a stereo system. I wanted to keep it simple. Early 2018 I picked up a Bryston 4bsst used stereo amp. A NAD M12 preamp, Oppo 205 player, twin SVS 1000 subs and a Audioquest Niagra 1000. These were used with a pair of Talon Khite monitors speakers until the A3's arrived. I was using Harmonic Technology interconnect and speaker cables that I had tucked away in one of my cable containers. After the A3's arrived I order a pair of 1.5 meter Cardas Clear Cygnus Radium XLR interconnects and 1.5 meter Cygnus speaker cables with banana ends.

At this time I would say my A3's are mostly broken in. And music in my house has never sounded this good. I've had a lot of systems over the many decades. And have heard some good and great systems over the years. I'm now hearing music in my room.

Super Moderator

Re: My Magico A3 are finally broke in

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Nice system. My Bryston integrated was a great little amp but a tad insufficient for my first Magico S1mk2s. With the 4bsst I’m sure you have ample power! Congrats and welcome to Audiophillia Nervosa syndrome support group.
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Welcome aboard! Happy to hear you’re enjoying your new speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

Audioshark

Welcome! Congrats on the A3’s.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Thanks everyone. The A3's were a leap of faith. I've never heard or seen any Magico in person. Somethings you have to go with your gut.

Darrel, Welcome to the forum. How many hours = "mostly broken in"?

I've had them eight weeks and play them daily. I'd say several hundred hours at least. The nearest Magico dealer is a six hour drive from Oregon to my house in Washington. And they delivered them. John the sales guy said they can take up to 600 hours. I'm not sure if the A3's take that long. Mine are the first pair in the North West that I'm aware of. But, the music and instruments have moved away from the speakers and are placed behind and across the room with weight and placement. So, that's why I said mostly broken in. Peter McKay from Magico told me that people have said that there is a three phase break in on the A3's. I said OK.

Congrats! great speakers. Enjoy in good health
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
    I've had them eight weeks and play them daily. I'd say several hundred hours at least. The nearest Magico dealer is a six hour drive from Oregon to my house in Washington. And they delivered them. John the sales guy said they can take up to 600 hours. I'm not sure if the A3's take that long. Mine are the first pair in the North West that I'm aware of. But, the music and instruments have moved away from the speakers and are placed behind and across the room with weight and placement. So, that's why I said mostly broken in. Peter McKay from Magico told me that people have said that there is a three phase break in on the A3's. I said OK.
    Darrel, if my experience with my S3 MkIIs is any indication, don't underestimate your dealer's break-in period comments. It is what it is, but you will be rewarded in the end.

And I thought my M3's were significantly broken in after only 5 - 10 hours.

John's a great guy. I'm glad he set them up for you.

Interesting of the 3 phase break-in. Did he give any more info on that? Like when to expect the next phase?

Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

John was a great help with information, setup and room ideas. I ran "Brown noise" over night for about a week and during the day play a lot of music etc. What a three phase break in is I'm not exatlty clear on. I've owned new speakers before so any break in period has been a natural thing of getting use to their sound. But, the A3's sonic placement has impressed me over time. I didn't use the twin SVS subs for the first two days because the A3's will go down to 20hz and are impressive with low and mid bass. I decided to turn on the subs just because they were there and I had listened to enought stereo music to understand the Magico sound. I haven't turned the subs off since. I have the A3's set to full and the subs set to stereo and 160hz. The M12 has a lot of control for output for subs and main. In the past I've had my sub or subs set for my setup at the usual 80hz. But, listening to drums, piano and standup bass tracks I would lower and raise the frequency of the subs and around 160hz the snare drums just fell behind the speakers and at a height that told me I'm there.

Darrel welcome to the forum , and congratulations on the speakers.
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Inter connect : Nordost Tyr 2 ( 2 Meter )
    LS cable : Yter
    Power Cables : Nordost Frey 2 ( 2 Meter )
    Nordost QB8
    Fibercable for feeding the Lumin X1
    Rack : Finite Elemente Pagode

Thanks everyone. The A3's were a leap of faith. I've never heard or seen any Magico in person. Somethings you have to go with your gut.
    That's tough with a 10k (now 12.3k) speaker, but glad to hear they worked out! I was fortunate to get a home demo of the A3's back in early December 2018, and ordered based on us really liking them in our home.

I've been "warned" that new A3's will require considerable breaking in, and to not get discouraged along the way!

Congratulations Bart. You were lucky to be able to listen to a pair in your home.

What equipment are you pairing them with?

In my home the A3's sounded really good upon first hook up. I find myself listening to a broader range of music. I can listen to each instruments clarity and placement much better over time.

I will add that one addition I think that has really help was pairing the Cardas Clear Cygnus cables to the preamp and amp to speakers. The "Clear" name is as promised.

Being patient will pay off.

Congratulations Bart. You were lucky to be able to listen to a pair in your home.

What equipment are you pairing them with?

In my home the A3's sounded really good upon first hook up. I find myself listening to a broader range of music. I can listen to each instruments clarity and placement much better over time.

I will add that one addition I think that has really help was pairing the Cardas Clear Cygnus cables to the preamp and amp to speakers. The "Clear" name is as promised.

Being patient will pay off.
    Thanks! I have Naim gear; pairing the A3's with Naim 252 preamp and 300DR power amp. Naim digital and Rega analog front ends. At the time of audition I was using the Naim 250DR power amp, and even with that there was relatively plenty of oomph to drive the A3's. The 300 will provide more pleasure I'm sure.

Darrel, really wonderful speakers. Congratulations on the successful acclimation of your A3s!
    Analog System: TechDAS Air Force Two Premium; SAT 9" Tonearm; Air Tight Opus 1; Constellation Audio Virgo III; Constellation Audio Perseus; Constellation Audio Performance DC Filter; Constellation Audio Centaur II 500 Stereo; Magico M3 w/MPODs; Kubala Sosna Sensation; Shunyata Hydra Triton v3/Typhon QR, Sigma NR power cords; TedhDAS Disc Stabilizer Ultimate Tungsten; Artesania Exoteryc 3+3 Rack w/TechDAS Platform; Artesania Aire Floor Platform; Klaudio KD-CLN-LP200 RCM; Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; DS Audio ION-001 Vinyl Ionizer

Digital System: Aurender N10; MSB Premier DAC; Woo Audio WA33 (Takatsuki TA274B, Psvane ACME 2A3, Western Electric 417A); Hifiman Susvara; Danacables Lazuli Nirvana; Triode Wire Lab RJ45, Cardas Clear/Clear Beyond; Shunyata Denali 6000/S v2; Box Furniture Co. rack

Thanks Thase13, I get a great deal of enjoyment with my system. It is in the audio world a very simple setup. And I think under $20k to piece together. But, I can stream a huge catalog of music from Tital and Qobuz as well as my CD and flac files. I can't complain.

A3 with Luxman was great sound. Even though my favourite is S3MKII but I would happy to have an A3 especially for the price. Enjoy them in good health.
    Paul

In my experience, and I'm on my 4th Magico pair, Magicos need around 600h to properly break in. Out if the box, they sound thin and compressed.

I have actually stopped listening to speakers in the first 600h, to avoid disappointment. I still remember when I first fired up my S5 mk 2, which compared to S5 mk 1, out of the box, sounded considerably ... worse. Burned in, they are a much better speaker.

My recommendation is to play music on them 24/7 for the first 3 weeks. Use them for some background music. During the nights, play ocean waves.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

My experience with S3 MkIIs similar to Elbereth's - takes around 500 - 600 hours. 'Stage 2' for me was the worst: flabby, overblown bass while woofers break in. Worth the wait - superb speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    I have actually stopped listening to speakers in the first 600h, to avoid disappointment.
    I'm the opposite. I want to be on-board for the whole adventure of the journey.

My Magico S5 MKII took about 300 hours to break in according to my ears and congrats on the A3s. The Bryston 4BSST was the first Bryston amp I purchased over a decade ago. I have since moved onto Bryston 7B3, and that is where I plan on being for the next two decades.

Thanks for the information John. Maybe the 7B3 will be a future upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    My experience with S3 MkIIs similar to Elbereth's - takes around 500 - 600 hours. 'Stage 2' for me was the worst: flabby, overblown bass while woofers break in. Worth the wait - superb speakers.
    I have experienced electronics go through stages that were not always a linear improvement. I have never heard it with speakers. Shouldn't they get progressively better without any relapse? Is it the crossover components on Magico speakers causing the "stages"?

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzie View Post
    I have experienced electronics go through stages that were not always a linear improvement. I have never heard it with speakers. Shouldn't they get progressively better without any relapse? Is it the crossover components on Magico speakers causing the "stages"?
    Mine definitely not linear.

Mine definitely not linear.
    My dealer had similar experience with his S3 MkIIs. He contacted Magico and was told that the two woofers broke in at different rates due to their positioning within the enclosure. Can't comment on crossover effects, but I'm sure there's more going on here than just the woofers. During break-in I played normal music (mostly classical at moderate levels).

Quote Originally Posted by john1970 View Post
    My Magico S5 MKII took about 300 hours to break in according to my ears and congrats on the A3s. The Bryston 4BSST was the first Bryston amp I purchased over a decade ago. I have since moved onto Bryston 7B3, and that is where I plan on being for the next two decades.
    Well the 20 Year Bryston warranty will cover the 2 decades! Wish all audio stood behind their products for this length.
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

I read that Magico recommend against using 'white noise' and other non-real-music audio to break in speakers. Am I right about that? Some of you have mentioned using forms of "noise" for break in and I'm wondering. I'll want to break in my A3's the right way.

I was curious about this as well. There is verbiage in the manual regarding playing noise. It is said it shouldn’t be used to speed up the break in process, but whether it is okay, in general, is not specified.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart001 View Post
    I read that Magico recommend against using 'white noise' and other non-real-music audio to break in speakers. Am I right about that? Some of you have mentioned using forms of "noise" for break in and I'm wondering. I'll want to break in my A3's the right way.

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

John from Pearl Audio who has delivered and setup many speakers including Magico recommended running Brown noise fairly loud for many hours. I just listen to music during the day and at night I'd run background noise from youtube. I don't have enough experience to tell what is the best.

Using steady noise or tones, in general, is not a good idea. These steady signals put a lot of stress on the drivers, not allowing for any “cooling-off” periods. I would not use them. Some break-in disks do have fluctuating noise, these would probably be ok, but you never know how much low end frq. they are generating, and depending on the volume, they can put a lot of stress on the system. Play music, it may take longer, but it is safer.

Awesome! Mine are definitely getting there. Substantial difference between now and the time I got them, especially in the bottom end.

Super Moderator

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I realize this thread is older, but, I came across it searching for "Magico A3 break-in" on the web. I purchased a pair of A3's a couple weeks ago and initially wanted to put a gun to my head. What did I do? They sound awful.

I've owned numerous speakers over my 30+ years as an audiophile so I'm no stranger to speaker break-in. Generally, out of the box, and especially at 50 hours or so, most are listenable. The A3's don't follow that scenario, in fact, they may be the worst sounding "out of the box" I've ever owned. I quickly went searching for owners who could qualify my observations, but a couple times here I read "they are good out of the box". For me, nothing could be further from the truth. Prior to 60 hours there was no sparkle on the top... no cymbal trails, etc.. Mid-range was compressed and uninspired. Bass - boomy, overbearing. Mid-bass - running up into the mids and obnoxious. I've now surpassed 125 hours and the mids and top end are starting to open up. There was a bass drop at about 75 hours and the bass has come back tighter and more defined. I sit here listening and realize there is a ways to go, but things are dramatically better.

Now, these are incredible speakers as evidenced by all of the reviews and my own listening session in the showroom. I'm just starting to hear what I had hoped for when purchasing.

I wish I would have read some of the same observations before freaking out and thinking I just blew $12k. I was not for-warned about this upon purchase and I can't imagine others not having these experiences. Just wanted to share in case someone else is in the same boat

Super Moderator

Very happy you are loving the speakers now.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I could hear significant changes to my S3 Mk2s for the first approximately 500 hours, especially the first 250 and especially in the bass. YMMV.

Audioshark

Welcome to the forum. Glad you’re happy and they’re sounding good.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Yes, these will take some hours to break-in. I was told that due to the large quantities, Magico can't break-in the A3 in house.
    You don't want to critically listen to them before they are properly cooked.

Quote Originally Posted by LVB View Post
    Yes, these will take some hours to break-in. I was told that due to the large quantities, Magico can't break-in the A3 in house.
    You don't want to critically listen to them before they are properly cooked.
    LVB, does Magico break in any of their other speakers in house? I was not aware of that. If so, for how long do they play them.
    Link to my system thread: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...l-sound.32867/
    Analog: Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, 2 NOS SME 3012R tonearms, 2 vdH Colibri Grand Cru, Colibri XPP
    Electronics: Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe, Lamm LL1.1 Signature, Lamm ML2
    Speakers: Vitavox CN-191 corner horns
    Cables: Stock SME phono cables, DIY ICs and speaker cables, Ching Cheng power cords, custom rack and amp stands

They don't do this, and if they did, you would not want to pay what they'd charge in price uplift.

They don't do this, and if they did, you would not want to pay what they'd charge in price uplift.
    That is what I suspected. I was surprised about the comment that the A3s weren't factory broken in because of volume, implying that other models were broken in. Yes, I imagine the cost would be high. I think some dealers may offer to do this for clients.
    Link to my system thread: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...l-sound.32867/
    Analog: Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, 2 NOS SME 3012R tonearms, 2 vdH Colibri Grand Cru, Colibri XPP
    Electronics: Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe, Lamm LL1.1 Signature, Lamm ML2
    Speakers: Vitavox CN-191 corner horns
    Cables: Stock SME phono cables, DIY ICs and speaker cables, Ching Cheng power cords, custom rack and amp stands

I doubt you'll find dealers doing this either, unless you count demos and trade-ins they sell. They are not set up for this. Think about it. Even if they were willing to eat the expense, it would delaying deliveries and entail breaking open factory sealed boxes.

Why would you want factory/dealer broken in speakers? Enjoy the journey of breaking them in yourself from new!

My A3's are coming on nicely now that I've owned them for about 6 weeks. The first week I was good about leaving internet radio playing when I left the house, but I kinda forgot about that, and had a period of a few weeks where we just didn't get to sit and listen. So not a LOT of hours on them yet.

We found them delightful right out of the box; certainly no reason for us in our home NOT to listen, "critically" or otherwise, right from the start. But they are 'loosening up' and there is a change over time. For us, more like from "great" to "really really great"
    Sources: Naim ND555/555PS | Roon Nucleus | Naim Soltstice Special Edition turntable and phono stage
    Amplification: Naim 552/500DR
    Interconnects: Ansuz/Chord Music/Naim SuperLumina
    AC Power: Ansuz C2
    Speakers: Magico S5MkII

Someone that has added the APOD's please respond to the differences you've experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Tgun5 View Post
    Someone that has added the APOD's please respond to the differences you've experienced
    I can't respond to using the APods but I gave them and the Gaia II a lot of thought. I ended up going with the Gaia IIs with carpet spikes. They do focus the soundstage IMO. I've done a lot of changes to my system. And think either will benefit the A3s. The Gaia II are cheaper if that means anything. The Apods match up with the look of the A3s and its natural spikes. I can't give you anymore than my personal experience and choice.
    Speakers: Magico S3 (23')
    Integrated:Gryphon Diablo 300 plus DAC
    Streamer: HiFi Rose RS150b
    CD/DVD: Oppo 205
    Cables: Cardas-Shunyata-AudioQuest-Supra
    Roon Core: sonicTransporter i7 powered with HDPlex 200w linear PS, running AudioLinux for Roon--Tidal and Qobuz with iPad Pro

Time is just a tool humans created to measure movement and record events

Audioshark

Haven’t tried the APOD’s, but SPOD’s and MPOD’s really tighten up the midbass. I love the design because it follows the philosophy I fundamentally believe in - dissipation not isolation!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Haven’t tried the APOD’s, but SPOD’s and MPOD’s really tighten up the midbass. I love the design because it follows the philosophy I fundamentally believe in - dissipation not isolation!

PERFECT!! I was looking for a solution for that. The only complaint I have with the A3's at this point is a slight midbass mudiness/resonance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

My Magico A3 are finally broke in