Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: My Magico A3 are finally broke in

I bought the APODs with my A3's and installed them as I unboxed the speakers. So unfortunately I don't have with/without experiences to share.
    Sources: Naim ND555/555PS | Roon Nucleus | Naim Soltstice Special Edition turntable and phono stage
    Amplification: Naim 552/500DR
    Interconnects: Ansuz/Chord Music/Naim SuperLumina
    AC Power: Ansuz C2
    Speakers: Magico S5MkII

Quote Originally Posted by Tgun5 View Post
    I realize this thread is older, but, I came across it searching for "Magico A3 break-in" on the web. I purchased a pair of A3's a couple weeks ago and initially wanted to put a gun to my head. What did I do? They sound awful.

I've owned numerous speakers over my 30+ years as an audiophile so I'm no stranger to speaker break-in. Generally, out of the box, and especially at 50 hours or so, most are listenable. The A3's don't follow that scenario, in fact, they may be the worst sounding "out of the box" I've ever owned. I quickly went searching for owners who could qualify my observations, but a couple times here I read "they are good out of the box". For me, nothing could be further from the truth. Prior to 60 hours there was no sparkle on the top... no cymbal trails, etc.. Mid-range was compressed and uninspired. Bass - boomy, overbearing. Mid-bass - running up into the mids and obnoxious. I've now surpassed 125 hours and the mids and top end are starting to open up. There was a bass drop at about 75 hours and the bass has come back tighter and more defined. I sit here listening and realize there is a ways to go, but things are dramatically better.

Now, these are incredible speakers as evidenced by all of the reviews and my own listening session in the showroom. I'm just starting to hear what I had hoped for when purchasing.

I wish I would have read some of the same observations before freaking out and thinking I just blew $12k. I was not for-warned about this upon purchase and I can't imagine others not having these experiences. Just wanted to share in case someone else is in the same boat
    TGun5, you're probably long gone, but just to let you know your post was very reassuring. My experience with my new A5s is parallel to yours with the A3s- the most dramatic break-in / burn-in change I've ever experienced, and by a massive margin. Now , they are great.
    Thanks very much!

The A3 have a long break in but are also more sensitive to component matching than any speaker I have had. The downside to this is that your current setup is unlikely to be a perfect match. The upside is that, once you have the speakers broken in (250 hours for me), you can get the sound you want by careful selection. It’s been a few years, but I have finished building a system I am thrilled with, and the A3 are the centerpiece.

Banned

SeminoleOmar

Congrats on your A3s. They are great speakers. Pass Labs, Boulder, Naim (and some others) all work well with Magico. We're still enjoying our A3's with Pass 260.8s.

Quote Originally Posted by SeminoleOmar View Post
    The A3 have a long break in but are also more sensitive to component matching than any speaker I have had. The downside to this is that your current setup is unlikely to be a perfect match. The upside is that, once you have the speakers broken in (250 hours for me), you can get the sound you want by careful selection. It’s been a few years, but I have finished building a system I am thrilled with, and the A3 are the centerpiece.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

My Magico A3 are finally broke in