Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Question New - got lots to learn but looking forward to it.

I'm new to decent audio. I have mordaunt short speakers given to be by my late father's friend. I also have NAD amp and technics CD. I guess a need a DAC but need help to figure it all out. Someone suggested I join here. In Germany but lived in the USA for a long time.
    KrazyK

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything."
    Plato

Audioshark

Re: New - got lots to learn but looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK View Post
    I'm new to decent audio. I have mordaunt short speakers given to be by my late father's friend. I also have NAD amp and technics CD. I guess a need a DAC but need help to figure it all out. Someone suggested I join here. In Germany but lived in the USA for a long time.
    Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining. Don’t be shy.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Welcome!
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Welcome to AudioShark KrazyK!

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Welcome aboard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

Hi, and welcome.

What is the reason for needing a DAC? Looking to replace the Technics? Budget?

In the NAD family, Bluesound makes the Node 2i which has streaming services built in, connects to Wyfi and would have an input if you wanted to use the Technics as a transport. If you already have a computer set for streaming, Schiit has some reasonably priced DAC's known for good performance. A lot of other options as well
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Thanks. Big gap I know. Crazy work schedules! Grrr.
    KrazyK

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything."
    Plato

Thanks - been quiet due to work but need to get my audio on.
    KrazyK

Plato

Thanks all - I guess one message would have done. Glad to now have the time to get back into it all.
    KrazyK

Plato

Nad makes some superb products , many of their amps have dacs built in already so maybe if you like nad get one of them

https://nadelectronics.com/product/c...dac-amplifier/
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

Welcome!! I've been going through the same process myself. Hadn't been into high end home audio since the late '60s - early to mid '70s. So, I had to almost start from scratch learning about current home audio gear. But, being recently retired it's been a wonderful hobby to fill my days with. It's provided a tremendous amount of enjoyment. The learning and re-learning about high end audio has been a ton of fun.

And there are a lot of extremely bright and highly knowledgeable people on this forum to help you with every aspect of home/high end audio. This is by far my favorite home audio forum although there are many other high end audio forums on the net. Audiogon is another great website with a really good forum. It mostly concerns the buying and selling of used and new audio gear.

Set your budget and start your research. Anyway, welcome again and have some fun.

New - got lots to learn but looking forward to it.

I just had a bad experience with an integrated NAD product. It is a NAD D-3020. It has a DAC and amp built in. The unit broke down outside of warranty. According to repair center, the way these units are built, it takes too much time to repair these units which make it cost prohibitive to repair out of warranty. So I ended up with a 4 year old unit that costs $400-$500 when new and is now worth nothing.

PS. To the OP: You don’t mention a budget. That would help folks steer you in the right direction.

Welcome !
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Welcome KrazyK!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

New - got lots to learn but looking forward to it.