Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Thoughts / Suggestions on Pre-amps

Hi Marty,

i also have a Terminator DAC, going into a Wells Audio Innamorata Signature amp... i was wondering what you think of your Hattor passive??
    I need to introduce my system to the gang around here —my new speakers that this forum assisted with and an interesting new preamp...but I’m also very interested in owning a passive along side, for a certain type of music and type of listening I do..

Quote Originally Posted by jriggy View Post
    Hi Marty,

i also have a Terminator DAC, going into a Wells Audio Innamorata Signature amp... i was wondering what you think of your Hattor passive??
    I need to introduce my system to the gang around here —my new speakers that this forum assisted with and an interesting new preamp...but I’m also very interested in owning a passive along side, for a certain type of music and type of listening I do..
    I was wondering what speakers you ended up going with?

I was also considering the Hattor preamplifier. It looks like a very nice piece. Obviously, from this thread you know that I ended up going with the Schiit Freya. While the Hattor looked good I decided on the additional flexibility of the Schiit, and I did have a little hesitation about a pure passive preamp.

What I have come to realize is that the passive mode on the Freya works very well, but it does not seem to match up with every amplifier. I am in the unique position of having three distinctly different amplifiers in my system. The passive mode seemed to work very well with the T+A amplifier but it does not do nearly as well with the Audio Mirror SET amplifiers. However the tube stage works perfectly with the SET.

I also believe the the FET solid state buffer works well and in most situations is preferred to the pure passive. Only with the T+A amp did the passive mode shine. Of course, as always, your millage may vary.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Hi Randy,
    id like to tell in the proper thread...but it rhymes with Smarbeth

im not surprised that your passive does not sound best with all amps you have on hand. As I’m sure you know, it’s an impedance machine thing.

I hope ti hear what Marty thinks of his Hattor. It’s the Hattor or Tortuga for me, I suppose.

Nice, and I do not believe there is any issues discussing off topic things in a thread so long as it is not taken over ...

I hope the passive works out well for you. I wish I had the opportunity of being able to directly compare various units, but having no dealers around it becomes pretty much impossible. I would love to try out a Hattor; it just seems like a good unit!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Randy:

Any report on the Black Treasure CV-181-Z tubes yet?

I am very impressed with the tubes. I think a bit more neutral sounding then the CBS and Sylvania's that I have compared them against (both of which I really like). Certainly more robust, especially in the bottom end. A very inviting sounding tube which I feel has opened up the SET amps even more. It is like another layer of a veil has been lifted and definitely more air around the instruments. I certainly understand why Vlad recommended them for his Audio Mirror amplifiers!

Be aware that they are a bit larger. The ceramic base is a bit over sized and does not allow the tube to seat flush on the amplifier (case bolts get slightly in the way). Vlad told me this is not an issue at all. The tubes plug in plenty far enough . Also, because of the size they cannot be inserted into the Freya. The case housing is too small for the Black Treasures ceramic base to fit through.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Thoughts / Suggestions on Pre-amps