Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Mogami XLR Interconnects

I have to move my equipment rack from its old position between the speakers to a side wall, so I need to obtain some 4 meter balanced interconnects to connect the preamp and amp. The previous interconnect used was Harmonix Technology MagicLink. Given the cost of an XLR interconnect of this length, I was considering trying some Mogami Gold Studio-15 XLR Microphone Cables or Mogami Gold AES-12 digital/analog XLR microphone cables. Have any of you tried these interconnects and what was your impression of them? Any other suggestions for a solution to this problem?

Audio Research LS25, Krell FPB 300, Thiel CS6, Rega P25, Dynavector 10x5, Zesto Andros 1.2, Harmonix Technology cables and interconnects

Super Moderator

Re: Mogami XLR Interconnects

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Super Moderator

Hi,

I have tried the Mogami Gold. It was actually pretty good. That was many years ago.

I’ve since switched to Belden 8402 for the most part with other cables in between depending on gear.

The Mogami is probably a little more neutral but a great performer. Price is right and depending on your personal taste, could be great.

https://btpa.com/IC8402XLR-XX.html?category_id=1340
    Last edited by joeinid; January 11, 2019 at 10:13 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

These are the Belden 8402's that Joe, myself and others are using. They are about $84 a piece for 12 ft.

https://btpa.com/IC8402XLR-XX.html?category_id=1340
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by jdee View Post
    I have to move my equipment rack from its old position between the speakers to a side wall, so I need to obtain some 4 meter balanced interconnects to connect the preamp and amp. The previous interconnect used was Harmonix Technology MagicLink. Given the cost of an XLR interconnect of this length, I was considering trying some Mogami Gold Studio-15 XLR Microphone Cables or Mogami Gold AES-12 digital/analog XLR microphone cables. Have any of you tried these interconnects and what was your impression of them? Any other suggestions for a solution to this problem?

Audio Research LS25, Krell FPB 300, Thiel CS6, Rega P25, Dynavector 10x5, Zesto Andros 1.2, Harmonix Technology cables and interconnects

I have a 20' pair of Canare L-4E6S terminated with Neutrik XLRs you can try out, aka try before you buy (at a peanuts price comparatively speaking). PM me.

I have the same for my guitar cable, they are good....

Mogami, Canare and Belden all make excellent balanced interconnect cables! You won't be able to hear any differences. But you don't need a microphone cable. It's optimized for low handling noise, flexibility and robust construction (at extra cost).

Also you don't want a Star-Quad cable. They are for pro-audio situations with harsh interference conditions.

Now a guitar cable is a completely different story.

I use a pair of Belden cables to connect my sub to the pre-outs of my integrated. I’ve been pleased with the performance.
    Gary
    Main: Lumin A1, Accuphase E-650, Tannoy Canterbury GR, Shunyata, Audience
    Secondary: Lumin M1, Linton Heritage, Shunyata, Audience

Agree with the Belden 8402. I love mine and it sounds better than my Cardas Parsec and AQ Columbia
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Besides BTPA.com you can buy a pair of Belden 8402 that use silver connectors and are cryo treated for whatever that is worth from here-

https://www.takefiveaudio.com/produc...-cryo-treated/

They are a bit more in price. A friend of mine bought a pair from them and loves them. I use the BTPA.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

The best Mogami is the non-quad balanced version (2549 I believe) available at multiple pro audio places online in any length.

No difference from audiophile brands in my fully balanced system.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Silver and/or cryo and nothing to a balanced interconnect cable other than cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
    Silver and/or cryo and nothing to a balanced interconnect cable other than cost.
    I would have an easier time believing that silver might sound different than than copper or gold connectors than cryo making a difference.

You are probably right but I have 3 pairs of XLR cables and they all sound different. It is not dramatic but you can easily hear it. My system is very sensitive to RCA, XLR and USB cable changes. I have another system that is not.

I have an audio friend who likes bringing cables to hear in my system. He calls my system the truth, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    You are probably right but I have 3 pairs of XLR cables and they all sound different. It is not dramatic but you can easily hear it. My system is very sensitive to RCA, XLR and USB cable changes. I have another system that is not..............................
    That could be true! Not all audiophile components have well designed input & output circuits.

Hi Joe,

How would you compare the Mogami Gold to the Belden 8402?

Super Moderator

Hi Joe,

How would you compare the Mogami Gold to the Belden 8402?
    It’s been a while since I’ve used the Mogami Gold. I use mostly Belden 8402 and Duelund, both for interconnects, and think the mogami is a little more neutral and matter of fact. I prefer the two mentioned because I think it’s a little more musical and forgiving. For me, if I had the gear in your signature, I’d personally choose at least the Belden 8402 to give me a little sweetness that I crave and prefer. I think the mogami is more exacting and truthful.

NAD C 658 streamer.

jdee

From looking at the gear list you had in your first post it would seem that you are on the "detail" side as a sound preference. If that is in fact the case then as Joe said the Mogami cables will fit the bill just as they do for recording studios. If you want to "warm" things up a bit then the Belden 8402 is a small step in that direction and even further would be the Duelands. So it all depends on the direction you want things to go as to my ears all of your main gear is to the right of neutral and like Joe I tend to er in the other direction. Kind of like the Vandersteen vs. Thiel camps.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

Thank you Jack. I appreciate the further clarification.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Mogami, Belden and Canare are all pro industry standards and you won't go wrong with any of them unless you get the wrong kind for your application. Also be aware of manufacture source and counterfeits.
    For example, Canare has both Japan and Chinese versions. The numbers are the same except the Chinese version has the letter "s" after the number. There is a quality difference in this case with the Japan one being the better.
    Just passing on something I recently learned.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Mogami XLR Interconnects