Liquid? as an adjective
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Liquid? as an adjective

I've heard liquid used as an adjective to describe audio gear but don't understand what it means. In context I assume liquid is a good thing, however, in listening to gear that has been said to be liquid, I sort of hear like a glare or shimmer, I don't really like that quality, I've gravitated to cables not so.

Than I got to wondering if this "glare" or sort of illumination, is what is being called liquid? And, if so, do others like that?
    Mark Levinson #526 & 532h, JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart, AcousTech PH-1P
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liquid? as an adjective

Liquid is a sound that has body and the notes just have a natural flow to them with a slight decay which allows the notes to just flow beautifully.

In my books:

VAC amp = liquid
    Pass XA.5 = liquid
    McIntosh 2301’s/601’s = liquid
    Gryphon Colosseum = liquid
    Constellation = liquid
    MSB 204 amps = liquid

Spectral = not liquid
    Audionet = not liquid
    ...a few others, but I don’t want to offend anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

3. Thanks Mr Peabody thanked for this post
    Likes Oly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have this old link showing Gorden Holts audio meanings and he noted Liquid

liquid Textureless sound.

texture, texturing A perceptible pattern or structure in reproduced sound, even if random in nature. Texturing gives the impression that the energy continuum of the sound is composed of discrete particles, like the grain of a photograph.

And you mentioned glare ; glare An unpleasant quality of hardness or brightness, due to excessive low- or mid-treble energy.

grainy A moderate texturing of reproduced sound. The sonic equivalent of grain in a photograph. Coarser than dry but finer than gritty.

gritty A harsh, coarse-grained texturing of reproduced sound. The continuum of energy seems to be composed of discrete, sharp-edged particles.

I say it all depends on a personal definition.

http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/M...-glossary.html

https://www.head-fi.org/articles/describing-sound-a-glossary.12328/

Chris

(2 Chl): Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE Lumin D1, VPI Classic 1, Manley Chinook, Dynavector DV20x2L.exaSound e32, Marantz SA11S2. ( computer) Win7, Synology DS413 NAS ,Vincent SP-331MKII , Quicksilver LS,Vapor Audio Breeze, Rythmik F12se. Cables: Acoustic Zen, DL Labs, Blue Jean.. ,Bryston BCD-1,Timbernation Rack,

5. Thanks Mr Peabody thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

I think this is a meaningful discussion. Would “organic” be interchangeable for “liquid” or do you feel it has another meaning? For the record, I’ve never taken organic or liquid to mean lacking texture. To me they also mean an ease or natural flow to the music.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Liquid is a sound that has body and the notes just have a natural flow to them with a slight decay which allows the notes to just flow beautifully.

In my books:

VAC amp = liquid
    Pass XA.5 = liquid
    McIntosh 2301’s/601’s = liquid
    Gryphon Colosseum = liquid
    Constellation = liquid
    MSB 204 amps = liquid

Spectral = not liquid
    Audionet = not liquid
    ...a few others, but I don’t want to offend anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with
    Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock,
    Renderer V2 and Roon Nucleus Plus
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: AudioQuest Niagara 7000

Post Thanks / Like

After numerous recent online threads about the meaning of words used in the audiophile vocabulary, I have come to the conclusion that audiophiles basically don't agree on the meaning of words that we use to describe what we hear. Everybody has their own definitions for the words they use. This shouldn't be a surprise because audiophiles seldom agree on anything related to audio.
    Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

8. Thanks puroagave thanked for this post
    Likes CPP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like liquid is something I like and I was on the right track to avoid glare.

Texture, surprises me, I thought that was a good thing, assigning the term to those cues that make the sound more believable, like tones from horns or woody on stand up bass. Maybe that's all under macro/micro dynamics.

LOL, maybe we need a standard glossary, like Webster is to dictionary.
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Post Thanks / Like

I've always thought of "organic" as "natural", being able to believe it's more real than electronically reproduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Mike,

I think this is a meaningful discussion. Would “organic” be interchangeable for “liquid” or do you feel it has another meaning? For the record, I’ve never taken organic or liquid to mean lacking texture. To me they also mean an ease or natural flow to the music.

Ken
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Sounds like liquid is something I like and I was on the right track to avoid glare.

Texture, surprises me, I thought that was a good thing, assigning the term to those cues that make the sound more believable, like tones from horns or woody on stand up bass. Maybe that's all under macro/micro dynamics.

LOL, maybe we need a standard glossary, like Webster is to dictionary.
    Depending on which audiophile you are talking to, texture is a good thing for the reasons you describe. We will never have an accepted standard glossary of audiophile words even though it has been attempted simply because audiophiles would never come to a consensus.
    Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

12. Thanks puroagave thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Depending on which audiophile you are talking to, texture is a good thing for the reasons you describe. We will never have an accepted standard glossary of audiophile words even though it has been attempted simply because audiophiles would never come to a consensus.
    yep , ya got the Subjective and Objective folks, and most of the time it never works.
    Chris

(2 Chl): Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE Lumin D1, VPI Classic 1, Manley Chinook, Dynavector DV20x2L.exaSound e32, Marantz SA11S2. ( computer) Win7, Synology DS413 NAS ,Vincent SP-331MKII , Quicksilver LS,Vapor Audio Breeze, Rythmik F12se. Cables: Acoustic Zen, DL Labs, Blue Jean.. ,Bryston BCD-1,Timbernation Rack,

Post Thanks / Like

To me liquid means grain free with a smooth and natural sound.
    Joe

Main: Jay's Audio CDT2mk.2 transport & Denafrips Terminator DAC, Lyra Kleos SL Cartridge, VPI Classic III with 3D tone arm, K&K Audio premium maxxed-out phonostage, Supratek Sauvignon (highly modded) Tube preamp, Coincident Speaker Tech 300b Frankenstein mk.2 mono blocks, Pass Labs XA-30.8 amp, First Watt SIT-3 amp, Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers, PurePower 1500+,PI Audio DigiBuss

15. Likes Mechnutt, Nikhil liked this post

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast