Liquid? as an adjective - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liquid? as an adjective

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Mike,

I think this is a meaningful discussion. Would “organic” be interchangeable for “liquid” or do you feel it has another meaning? For the record, I’ve never taken organic or liquid to mean lacking texture. To me they also mean an ease or natural flow to the music.

Ken
    To me organic is how a system or a piece of gear gets the TONE right. Like when I compare the S2 to other DAC’s, you are immediately struck by the tonal accuracy of the instruments. I find myself saying “now THAT sounds like a trumpet!” Ditto for say a Martin D-28 guitar. If you have actually heard those instruments in life multiple times, you know what they sound like or should sound like - meaning - getting the TONE spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, ClearAudio Turntables & Accessories, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

2. Likes Alpinist, Mr Peabody liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always thought of liquid (as the word implies) as a "wet" sound where everything flows and feels connected, as opposed to a dry sound where there's too much space between and too much emphasis to individual notes giving an analytical sound. Decay contributes to this. I think a somewhat full, fleshed out sound is part of it as well.
    Rance

Synology DS411+II, Audioquest Diamond Ethernet, Lumin S1, ARC REF 6 preamp, ARC REFERENCE 160M amps, JBL 4367/Isoacoustics Gaia I, SVS PC-4000 subs x 2, Shunyata 6000T, Luminous Audio Technology cabling and power, Solid Tech racks, Vicoustics room treatments, ASC Iso-wall/Iso-ceiling construction

4. Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbtrio View Post
    To me liquid means grain free with a smooth and natural sound.
    I would define organic as grain free with a smooth and natural sound and liquid as a the natural effortless flow of music. I wouldn't have understood the last part until I heard it.

Dave
    Speaker: Rockport Avior & Mira, B&W 803 D
    Amp: Nagra HD Monos, McIntosh Mc303 & 601
    Pre: Nagra HD pre
    Source: Esoteric K-01X & G-01, Aurender W20
    Cable: Transparent Ref Gen 5 SC & Ref XL PC
    Grounding: Tripoint Elite, Thor SE, Emperor Mkii

6. Thanks Alpinist thanked for this post
    Likes Alpinist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's my take on a the two audio related words used as adjectives.

Liquid: A sound that is as natural and true to the original source as the sound of water flowing over rocks in a stream. There is a three dimensional aspect to the complete combination of sounds that is captivating, mesmerizing, unpredictable, and soothing all at the same time. It touches your soul. Liquid is the essence of a sigh, a release of tension, a submission to the performance that goes beyond simply hearing sound. Liquid is immersion of one's consciousness into the event.

Organic: A sound or combination of sounds that accurately recreate multi-frequency tones of instruments that vibrate their bodies in harmony with their strings, instruments such as double bass, acoustic guitar, violin, piano, and many other instruments offering multi-frequency tone combinations with each note. When reproduced sound approaches the reality of these instrument I sense its texture and depth to be organic, a living thing. Human voices also have these multi-frequency tone combinations that emanate from the vocal chords, breath, chest resonance, and vibrato. Again, when it is delivered by a sound system such that it becomes wholly realistic and believable it strikes me as organic, in other words, true to life timbre, dynamics, resonance, and sustain.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC452, MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

8. Likes hifinutt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Liquid is neither a gaseous nor solid type sound

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbtrio View Post
    To me liquid means grain free with a smooth and natural sound.
    Simple and good definition !

11. Likes Mechnutt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the term ‘liquid’ has as much to do with the music as it does the gear playing it. Using Joe’s synonyms in the prior post, liquid music is grain free, smooth, and natural. There’s a lot of music out there that cannot be liquified not matter what system it’s playing on.
    Gary
    Accuphase E-650; Lumin A1; BlueSound Node 2i; Accuphase DAC-50; Roon; Shunyata Delta NR; Wireworld SC; JLA F112v2; Tannoy Canterbury GR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    Liquid is neither a gaseous nor solid type sound
    I disagree, we all have had a wet fart at one point in our lives or you just have not lived long enough.

Sorry, I could not resist.

Liquid to me is smooth, flowing, easy going sound. Based upon the responses here, I think that we are all on the same page.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Other systems- Parasound A21 amp,Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid tube DAC and Preamp, Magnepan MMG's, Monitor Audio S1's, PSB B6's, Def Tech Pro Monitor 1000's, Velodyne sub, Adcom GFR-700 AVR, Music Hall 25.2 modified CDP, Cables by Cardas Parsec, AQ Columbia DBS 72v, Wire World.

Post Thanks / Like

To me liquid means unnatural sounding and slow. Not as slow as syrupy.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's & Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi DAC, Clock & Upsmapler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of definitions of liquid and organic, both words to me are positive traits in describing the music that plays on a system...so what does everyone describe as the opposite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Power Conditioning and Filters: Nordost QRT Power Product Line, Furutech GTX-D NCF/GTX Wall Plate/105D, 20 AMP Dedicated with Surge Protection at Panel
    Cables, Isolation, Reflection and Absorbtion: Nordost Reference Power, Interconnect and Speaker on Pre and Monos, Ansuz C2 Power on Transports and interconnects on DAC, HRS M3X Platforms, HRS Damping Plates, Stillpoint’s Ultra 6 & Ultra SS Isolation, and Vicoustic Room Treatments
    Power & Sound: D’Agostino Pre-Amplifier to D’Agostino Momentum Mono’s driving Wilson Alexia’s
    Source: Aurender N10, Brinkmann Nyquist MKII

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast