Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lumin T2

Re: Lumin T2

That's a combination of history, physical chassis space, stylistic preference and the hardware and software platform limitations (regarding USB audio output).
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    That's a combination of history, physical chassis space, stylistic preference and the hardware and software platform limitations (regarding USB audio output).
    I think this response is to my question regarding spdif and bnc.
    i apologize I didn't word it very well and also had a typo.

i was curiosity as to why the use of bnc vs. just a spdif digital output? Does bnc have different ohm output than spdif or it is the same just a different form of connection?
    I don't use USB.

It's the same but some manufacturers see it as a more secure connection type.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

BNC connectors are available in a true 75 ohm impedance (50 ohm BNCs are also available) which is the ideal load impedance for SPDIF digital connection. RCA connectors can be used on SPDIF cable but rarely (if ever) can be designed to present the ideal 75 ohm load due to the conductor spacing of the plug. The secure locking feature of the BNC connector is an additional advantage compared to RCA.

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    BNC connectors are available in a true 75 ohm impedance (50 ohm BNCs are also available) which is the ideal load impedance for SPDIF digital connection. RCA connectors can be used on SPDIF cable but rarely (if ever) can be designed to present the ideal 75 ohm load due to the conductor spacing of the plug. The secure locking feature of the BNC connector is an additional advantage compared to RCA.
    I feel as though i'm doing my system a disservice using a $400 rca interconnect on the digital output with a $5 bnc adapter. You're saying I should get a 50ohm digital cable with BNC a connector?

Quote Originally Posted by niner View Post
    I feel as though i'm doing my system a disservice using a $400 rca interconnect on the digital output with a $5 bnc adapter. You're saying I should get a 50ohm digital cable with BNC a connector?
    Absolutely not, 75 ohms is the ideal impedance for a coaxial SPDIF connection. Some cable companies make their coaxial cables terminated with proper 75 ohm BNCs and provide RCA adapters to use if needed. That cable would likely be better than using an RCA terminated cable with BNC adapters, but you should avoid a 50 ohm cable or 50 ohm BNC connectors. I know it can be confusing, hope I helped to clarify the muddy waters a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by niner View Post
    Agree completely with audio.bill - if 75 ohm is the recommendation then that is the cable I would use - if I could use BNC connectors I would - they are a better connector than RCA & no BS about how they are made - function over form.

Hi am new here and a soon-to-be owner of a T2; my very 1st network streamer
    Just started setting up my stereo and HT system with an integrated amp (with HT Bypass) and a Denon X6300 AVR

My plan is to connect the T2 to my integrated amp via Balanced connection for 2-channel listening
    However, if i wanna run-in my HT speakers & front speakers (using multi-channel surround DSP on the AVR) at the same time using the T2 with say, Spotify playlists, how do I go about connecting the T2 to the AVR?
    Is this possible?

I assume you don't need to have both the 2-channel integrated amp and the Denon AVR producing sound at the same time. If that's right, simply use a BNC to RCA coaxial cable to connect the Lumin BNC-SPDIF output to the coaxial output of the Denon AVR. (Or, for T2 and X1, you can connect a USB cable from Lumin T2 / X1 USB port to the Denon AVR USB audio port).

Then you can use Lumin app to choose whether the T2 / X1 outputs sound via analog for sound output from your 2-channel amp, or SPDIF or USB digital output to your Denon AVR for multi-channel DSP.

If you merely want to burn in the equipment and don't mind a possible SQ degradation, you could even connect both the XLR and RCA analog outputs of Lumin to the 2-channel amp and Denon AVR, so both are active at the same time.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Wklie, I also have a new T2 coming my way. I'm in the middle of rearranging my audio rack for the T2. How much room on top of the T2 is required? Does the unit get hot or have a space requirement?
    Speakers: Magico S3 (23')
    Integrated:Gryphon Diablo 300 plus DAC
    Streamer: HiFi Rose RS150b
    CD/DVD: Oppo 205
    Cables: Cardas-Shunyata-AudioQuest-Supra
    Roon Core: sonicTransporter i7 powered with HDPlex 200w linear PS, running AudioLinux for Roon--Tidal and Qobuz with iPad Pro

Time is just a tool humans created to measure movement and record events

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
    Wklie, I also have a new T2 coming my way. I'm in the middle of rearranging my audio rack for the T2. How much room on top of the T2 is required? Does the unit get hot or have a space requirement?
    I'm not finding my T2 to get warm at all in my experience but I keep mine on top of the rack so there is adequate ventilation. I wouldn't think it needs a lot of space.

I'm not finding my T2 to get warm at all in my experience but I keep mine on top of the rack so there is adequate ventilation. I wouldn't think it needs a lot of space.
    Thanks freesole, I'm trying to get creative with my rack and limit my requirements to accommodate the AQ Niagra 1000 under my rack if possible.
    Roon Core: sonicTransporter i7 powered with HDPlex 200w linear PS, running AudioLinux for Roon--Tidal and Qobuz with iPad Pro

the T2 seems like a very nice concept and I am interested in auditioning one. Has anybody compared the DAC portion with other DACs, like the PS Audio DS or the Denafrips Terminator or the Chord Hugo TT2 ?

Also is anybody using it as a streamer only device ? If so, what DACs are you using with ?

@Peter,
    does the Ethernet input have enough isolation (apart from the Ethernet transformer that already comes with the PHY) to reject external noise ? What I mean is does it need an external isolator (like a Gigafoil) or an audiophile switch to maximize its full potential ?

The T2 gets only slightly warm - should not be very hot. Its streamer function is effectively the same as a U1 MINI, with the T2 supporting DSD512 for those DAC that are Linux native DSD compatible, but the U1 MINI is limited to DSD256 for those DAC that are Linux native DSD compatible.

The Ethernet port on a Lumin is a normal implementation with a transformer. You can ask Mike about what he thinks about using Gigafoil with a Lumin.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

You guys are probably going to love your T2. I sold mine as it just wasn't a perfect match for my Persona 5fs. 7 out of ten songs where fantastic but I couldnt listen long term.
    The right speakers and it will be the perfect player. Plays real nice with a 1 TB attached hard drive. Good luck!!
    Aurender A10 (SR Black fuses installed)>MicroZotl2.0S W/remote( SR Black )> Odyssey Kismets> Persona 5f's . Cerious Technologies Matrix IC's and Speaker cabling. Audience ArP2 TOSOX conditioner . Power chords include Audience Au24 Se, SR ,Shunyata,Triode Wire World. Stillpoints Ultra Minis.

This led me to an interesting active thread in the speakers subforum.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

I assume you don't need to have both the 2-channel integrated amp and the Denon AVR producing sound at the same time. If that's right, simply use a BNC to RCA coaxial cable to connect the Lumin BNC-SPDIF output to the coaxial output of the Denon AVR. (Or, for T2 and X1, you can connect a USB cable from Lumin T2 / X1 USB port to the Denon AVR USB audio port).

Then you can use Lumin app to choose whether the T2 / X1 outputs sound via analog for sound output from your 2-channel amp, or SPDIF or USB digital output to your Denon AVR for multi-channel DSP.

If you merely want to burn in the equipment and don't mind a possible SQ degradation, you could even connect both the XLR and RCA analog outputs of Lumin to the 2-channel amp and Denon AVR, so both are active at the same time.
    Thanks Pete. As you are already aware I have gotten the X1 and in the midst of setting up fiber connection
    However, my plan remains the same i.e. to have my 2-channel amp hook up to my Denon AVR via HT Bypass and the X1 connected ti the Denon via the Unbalanced Output L&R on the X1 and the Lumin's XLR to my 2-channel amp
    To run-in my front speakers (via the 2-channel amp) and the center and surrounds via the denon, both amps need to be powered on. Not too worried about SQ degradation at this stage though

Hi all, newbie here looking for some advice. I currently stream my music from my Synology NAS to my Marantz SR8012, using HEOS and it plays almost everything I throw at it (doesn't do multi channel audio files, but it's not really a big deal). I have a fairly big collection of SACDs ripped to dsf and plenty of hi res flac files. I'm now looking to upgrade my system by getting a stereo power amp to feed my front L/R channels, and also looking at a streamer/DAC and the T2 sounds like it might be a good fit for me, but I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with.

1. Does the T2 need a preamp or can I feed it directly into a power amp. Does it make any difference to the sound quality?
    2. If I used the Marantz as a pre via the analog inputs and fed it from there to an amp, would it degrade the sound in any way?
    2. The S1 is available at a good discount right now, the price would be not much more than a new T2. I don't need the DSD512 capability, so I'm wondering do people think it would be better to grab the S1 or go with the updated technology of the T2?

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Jeff!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

1. We do shows with a Lumin X1 direct to Lumin power amp, but I understand many people prefer having a preamp. It is setup and taste dependent.

2. After you have burned-in both the Lumin and the power amp, you can try to compare Lumin direct to power amp vs Lumin -> SR8012 -> power amp and see which sounds better to you. The SR8012 should be put in Pure Direct mode.

3. If there is a high probability that you think you'll do a direct to power amp (or passive) setup, T2 has 6V rms balanced output may be more suitable as it ensures you have enough gain for low volume music passages, compared to the S1 which has 4V rms balanced output.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hi Peter, thanks for your rapid and informative response, it's much appreciated. Do you have a showroom or should I go to one of the distributors listed on your website for a demo (I'm in HK also)? Any particular distributor you would recommend?

To the best of my knowledge, I think there are two dealers in Hong Kong which have Lumin T2 to demo:

B&W Group Asia Ltd
    8/F., 1 Duddell St., Central, Hong Kong
    +852 28699916

Global Audio & Visual
    16th Floor, Yau Shing Commercial Centre,
    No. 51 Sai Yeung Choi Street,
    Kowloon, Hong Kong
    +852 27891733

The second one even has the new Lumin power amp.

One more thing - if you use SR8012 and set the subwoofer mode to (not default) LFE+Main, there will be subwoofer output even in Pure Direct mode for analog input - depends on your front speakers this is something you may prefer or not prefer (then leave it as default LFE mode).
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

That's handy to know about the sub option, thanks. I do prefer to have good bass in the mix, so it's nice to have the option either way depending on how the speakers sound. Thanks so much for your assistance.

Super Moderator

Peter and Lumin are awesome, thank you Peter.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Hi Peter, does the T2 accept wifi? Guess not as I can't find it from lumin's website? Thanks, Tony

No, none of the Lumin products support WiFi. However, you may use a WiFi to Ethernet adapter such as:
    https://www.audioshark.org/showthread.php?t=15040&page=12&p=267101&viewfull=1 #post267101

Some (not all) WiFi routers can also be be configured to run in WiFi client mode and provide Ethernet connectivity.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Thank you,

No, none of the Lumin products support WiFi. However, you may use a WiFi to Ethernet adapter such as:
    https://www.audioshark.org/showthread.php?t=15040&page=12&p=267101&viewfull=1 #post267101

Some (not all) WiFi routers can also be be configured to run in WiFi client mode and provide Ethernet connectivity.

Received the T2 today. It was wrapped in plastic like they were afraid of a flood. No complaints on my part. USP is known as the oOPs delivery service sometimes. I hooked up my Samsung flash drive with my CD/flac files. Connectied my Cardas Cygnus power cord and XLR cables. Located and hooked up the Keces power supply with the GigaFoil connected to my router and Cardas ethernet cable to the T2. Next step turn on power to the Keces and T2. First notice from the T2...network error. Ugh....well after some trial and error changes I got the GigaFoil to light up and the T2 was ready to go. I've added a lot of cables and equipment in the last two days. Maybe too many at one time. But, things are in place and now I can work with the Lumin app on my iPad. Right out of the gate my impressions are that music is much more dynamic. Using XLR cables my play a role in that. But, I also hear a muddy or smearing of sound. I'm hoping it's just a matter of everything settling in.

Received the T2 today. It was wrapped in plastic like they were afraid of a flood. No complaints on my part. USP is known as the oOPs delivery service sometimes. I hooked up my Samsung flash drive with my CD/flac files. Connectied my Cardas Cygnus power cord and XLR cables. Located and hooked up the Keces power supply with the GigaFoil connected to my router and Cardas ethernet cable to the T2. Next step turn on power to the Keces and T2. First notice from the T2...network error. Ugh....well after some trial and error changes I got the GigaFoil to light up and the T2 was ready to go. I've added a lot of cables and equipment in the last two days. Maybe too many at one time. But, things are in place and now I can work with the Lumin app on my iPad. Right out of the gate my impressions are that music is much more dynamic. Using XLR cables my play a role in that. But, I also hear a muddy or smearing of sound. I'm hoping it's just a matter of everything settling in.
    Darrel - Congrats on your new Lumin T2! Definitely give it some time for everything to settle into your system, but if you still have any issue with the sound quality I'd suggest trying the T2 direct to your power amp. If I understand how you currently have it connected you're feeding the analog outputs of the T2 (which have already been converted to analog from the digital sources) to the analog inputs of the NAD M12. The M12 operates in the digital domain, so it converts its analog inputs back to digital for processing and volume control before converting its output back to analog to drive the power amp. So you're putting the analog output of the T2 through an additional conversion into digital only to then be converted back to analog again. Eliminating these two extra conversions could be beneficial to your system's level of performance, but the only way to know would be to try it. You'd have to use the Lumin T2's variable output to drive your power amp directly, or you could alternatively try an analog preamp in place of the NAD M12. The NAD is a fine piece of gear, but it may not be ideal to achieve the highest level of performance in your system's current configuration. Just something to consider.

Thanks audio.bill. that was one of my concerns about the T2 and the M12 together. I've added quit a few things into my system this week so I really don't want to be making big changes until I understand my current systems sound. I ran the ethernet cable directly from my router to the T2 and any harsh or muddy sound I was experiencing was removed. I turned off my computer to see if that was affecting anything in the chain. I don't think that has played a part in what I'm hearing. I think it's the GigaFoil at this point. And I'm hoping it will settle in after some hour of usage.

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    Darrel - Congrats on your new Lumin T2! Definitely give it some time for everything to settle into your system, but if you still have any issue with the sound quality I'd suggest trying the T2 direct to your power amp. If I understand how you currently have it connected you're feeding the analog outputs of the T2 (which have already been converted to analog from the digital sources) to the analog inputs of the NAD M12. The M12 operates in the digital domain, so it converts its analog inputs back to digital for processing and volume control before converting its output back to analog to drive the power amp. So you're putting the analog output of the T2 through an additional conversion into digital only to then be converted back to analog again. Eliminating these two extra conversions could be beneficial to your system's level of performance, but the only way to know would be to try it. You'd have to use the Lumin T2's variable output to drive your power amp directly, or you could alternatively try an analog preamp in place of the NAD M12. The NAD is a fine piece of gear, but it may not be ideal to achieve the highest level of performance in your system's current configuration. Just something to consider.
    I went to bed rethinking your post. I will in the future have to move to a true analog preamp if I want to get the best out of the T2 and my system. From the start of my system about a year ago everything has been to keep elevating the music level. Streaming is the future at least for me. I spent 30 years with vinyl before getting into home theater. So, getting back to stereo I'll hit a few bumps along the way. I'll sort out the sound issues and start my next path to the right preamp. Thanks for the post.

I've got the T2 huming along with the rest of my system. I had the Lumin hooked up to my VanEvers Model 85 power conditioner. It has my plasma and router hooked to it. I love the VanEvers for the performance it gives my Plasma tv. But, I was afaid it and the router my be part of the issue. I now have the T2 hooked up to the AQ Niagra 1000. I also got into the Lumin setup under options and switched the "Analog Audio Output Lever" to low. And MQA to passthrough. The MQA passthrough has nothing to do with any hashness I was hearing. But, the output to low seems to be the fix. Plus using the AQ I think isolates the T2 from any inerference. The sound with the addition of the Cardas cables and GigaFoil and Keces is now raised and very satifying.

Plus Roon is a real treat with the T2

Darrel, can you tell me if there is a difference with the current configuration while switching from Analog Audio Output Level between Normal and Low? I have always been curious what this would do in a really highly resolving system and if it matters in one that hasn’t hit those levels yet (like mine).

FWIW, I don’t hear much difference between the two other than I have to turn the volume knob a little more at the Low setting. But I have a D2 instead of the T2 so not exactly apples to apples comparison.

thanks!

For setups that can handle the normal output voltage of Lumin, the Analog Output Level should be left as Normal. However, when there is too much gain (from pre amp and/or power amp), or clipping occurs with loud music, then the analog audio output needs to be set to low, or RCA output instead of the recommended XLR output can be used.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Not one to leave things alone. I thought it may be best to get away from the Cardas XLR and use some RCA interconnects. I have a older pair of Harmonic Technology Pro SilWay III that I haven't used in some time. They are a very smooth sounding cable. So, I added the Cardas XLR cables to the Oppo 205 and hooked up the Harmonic cables to the T2 and turned the Audio Output of the T2 back to normal. And now things sound less forward and music has dropped behind the speakers and instruments have a more natural sound.

Its always interesting to experiment with cables and good to hear that you have come to a sound you like .But sometimes one has to adjust to new things that sounds very different from where it was....and that can take time , or simple end up with a sound that one doesn't like.
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Inter connect : Nordost Tyr 2 ( 2 Meter )
    LS cable : Yter
    Power Cables : Nordost Frey 2 ( 2 Meter )
    Nordost QB8
    Fibercable for feeding the Lumin X1
    Rack : Finite Elemente Pagode

hooked up the Harmonic cables to the T2 and turned the Audio Output of the T2 back to normal. And now things sound less forward and music has dropped behind the speakers and instruments have a more natural sound.
    Please also try a direct to amp configuration, bypassing the M12, with both RCA and XLR interconnects (but not simultaneously connected). Make sure you turn down the volume using Lumin app before starting playback.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Please also try a direct to amp configuration, bypassing the M12, with both RCA and XLR interconnects (but not simultaneously connected). Make sure you turn down the volume using Lumin app before starting playback.
    Good suggestion. For now I plan to just settle in and evaluate my system as is and enjoy.

My room is not a dedicated music room. I use it for my computer hub. Watching sports, news and limited shows.
    I also know now that I'll have to move away from the NAD M12 at some point. I'll be researching preamps and asking questions here.

I recently purchased a T2 and am in the process of installing it. I noticed that on the back panel of the unit is a binding post named "Ground". My unit sits on a wooden panel suspended inside a metal equipment rack. The power feeding my T2 is both balanced and filtered. Would it be beneficial to also ground the T2? If so, to what do I attach the other end of the grounding wire -- given that there aren't any pipes in or nearby my listening room?

Thank you.
    Jonathan

Age is a mental construct.

System: Theta Casablanca V preamp/processor/DAC; Wadia 8 transport; Wadia 2000 DAC; Theta Compli SACD transport; Lumin T2 streamer/DAC; Roon Nucleus+; Luxul AGS-1024 switch; SOTA Sapphire turntable w/Premier FT3 arm & Hana SL cartridge; PS Audio Stellar phono preamp; SweetVinyl SC-2 noise/click remover; Oppo 203 4K player; Magnum Dynalab FT-101A tuner; McIntosh MC611 mono amplifiers (3); Revel Ultima Studio/ Voice/Embrace speakers (L/C/R and sides); Arendal 1723 speakers (surrounds); SVS SB-16 (2) and 3000 Micro (2) subwoofers; Stax SR-L300 headphones; TeddyPardo 19/3 linear power supply; Richard Gray's Substation; Shunyata 6000/S, 2000/T (2), Venom PS10, Hydra (2), and Defender (2) power conditioners; Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables; Audioquest, Cardas, Kimber Kable, MIT, and Wireworld interconnects; Cullen, and Shunyata power cords.

JVC RS 3100 projector; MadVR Envy Extreme II video processor.

Looking for some advice on which Lumin is right for my system. T2 (new or used) or a used A1?

I have currently a ipad playing into an Ayre Codex or Khadas tone board (qobuz, tidal, roon). The khadas has amazing chips and measures amazing but does not sound very relaxing and real. Fatigue sets in quickly. the Ayre measures horrible but i can listen all day. I have a turntable system as well which sound vpi prime, jc3 jr, various cartridges.

i want the most balanced real sounds possible but that I can listen to all night and get lost in the music. The A1 has many fans. the T2 is being touted as better and also relaxed and realistic. is it the best of both or fatiguing ESS all over again? can't listen to both i don't think...

w4s pre > decware mystery > vivid 1.5 > gik acoustics

Quote Originally Posted by AVphile View Post
    Would it be beneficial to also ground the T2? If so, to what do I attach the other end of the grounding wire -- given that there aren't any pipes in or nearby my listening room?
    In most cases you don't need to connect the ground terminal. A few users connect it to a grounding box.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

When using it as a Roon endpoint, will it only run Roon bridge or does it run the Roon core ? I am trying to figure out when using Roon, do I need a separate server to run the core or not.

Technically, Lumin is a Roon Ready endpoint / player. It does not run Roon Core.

You need a separate computer to run Roon Core - ROCK, e.g. NUC8i7BEH, 8GB RAM, m.2 250GB SSD for Roon database, 2.5" HDD for music, fanless chassis.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by stellablues View Post
    Looking for some advice on which Lumin is right for my system. T2 (new or used) or a used A1?

I have currently a ipad playing into an Ayre Codex or Khadas tone board (qobuz, tidal, roon). The khadas has amazing chips and measures amazing but does not sound very relaxing and real. Fatigue sets in quickly. the Ayre measures horrible but i can listen all day. I have a turntable system as well which sound vpi prime, jc3 jr, various cartridges.

i want the most balanced real sounds possible but that I can listen to all night and get lost in the music. The A1 has many fans. the T2 is being touted as better and also relaxed and realistic. is it the best of both or fatiguing ESS all over again? can't listen to both i don't think...

w4s pre > decware mystery > vivid 1.5 > gik acoustics
    As manufacturer we prefer people to buy new units, so I'll leave this question to others for more unbiased comment.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

As manufacturer we prefer people to buy new units, so I'll leave this question to others for more unbiased comment.
    Is there no reason to not support both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

thanks peter, sorry if i posted in the wrong area. i perhaps could have asked somewhere else but since we have a concentration of people who have owned or listened to many of the lumin products i asked here.

maybe my question could be asked another way. the lumin a1 at its time was a statement piece with its channeled enclosure and its output transformers, it’s separated powersupply, etc. these were said to be done for sonics and many praised and love the sonics. now the t2 which is said to replace the a1 forgoes those items, is said to be ‘better’ and costs 40% less. i have read every thread on every message board trying to determine how you and others describe what you mean by better and how this could be true given that many of the things which were marketed as making it so good have now gone away. maybe they were not as important as the original marketing made it out to believe? maybe the new chips overcame those expensive design decisions and allowed the manufacturing costs to come down without affecting the sound in any way?

so maybe i would buy the t2 new if i understood why it would outperform the used a1 which has so many elements to its design which make sense to my lizard brain about why it was good in the first place. i am easily made a slave to the marketing and engineering statements because i don’t have the facilities to test and disagree, so i trusted what i read and for the a1 i’m still anchored on those things lumin and reviewers touted.

regards

stellablues , i am not able to listen to A1 , so it might not matter that much. I do own T1 , and am to replace it with i think right now T2. But before i do so i have had the joy of having X1 on loan , and right now i have S1 on loan , and i hope when the shop have their T2 back from demo that i can also have that on loan.
    Right now i can say that the S1 compared to T1 is much more revealing , has better soundstage , and better dynamics. From my memory of the X1 its a good margin better than S1 and X1 is maybe also a tad brighter sounding where S1 is to the more organic side, S1 has a fantastic crispness to guitar and voices are really good. So i can only say that i am really curious on how T2 will perform...and if money wasn't a thing then i would buy the X1 in an instant.
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Nordost QB8

thanks for sharing your experience. i see a lot of people upgrading these players often looking for something more, which obviously is how this hobby works, so no issue there but some a1 users sound like diehards who feel they never need to upgrade. i wonder if i’m in that camp or the scary path of only wanting the x1 sound and nothing else will do.

He he , yes the X1 is seriously good. From some reviews i have been reading if i remember correctly the A1 should sound more warm than S1 and maybe not the same degree of resolution , but as i have no possibility to listen for myself to an A1 it is not easy for me to give you advice regarding that specific " problem " maybe when i het to listen to T2 i can bring some kind of clarity to you about the difference.
    Are there any specific artist you prefer to use as test track so to speak , as then i could try to play that while i have the S1 , and when S1 goes back to the shop and i hook up my T1 i can tell or try to tell the difference as to how i hear it.
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Nordost QB8

Quote Originally Posted by stellablues View Post
    sorry if i posted in the wrong area. ...

how this could be true given that many of the things which were marketed as making it so good have now gone away. maybe they were not as important as the original marketing made it out to believe? maybe the new chips overcame those expensive design decisions and allowed the manufacturing costs to come down without affecting the sound in any way?
    You posted in exactly the right area.

All those things are still good and important, but they are really expensive to include so they are now reserved for higher priced products in the lineup. Even if lacking these things, T2 has other improvements to more than make up for it - it's the overall design that originated from the X1 which we took a long time to perfect. The analog output stage and the transport section design, as well as the modern DAC chips and processor as you pointed out, give it an improvement in SQ while decreasing the price.

However, there are many aspects to SQ. There be some aspects that one do not care for.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Lumin T2