Lumin T2 - Page 16
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16

Thread: Lumin T2

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lumin T2

That's a combination of history, physical chassis space, stylistic preference and the hardware and software platform limitations (regarding USB audio output).
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    That's a combination of history, physical chassis space, stylistic preference and the hardware and software platform limitations (regarding USB audio output).
    I think this response is to my question regarding spdif and bnc.
    i apologize I didn't word it very well and also had a typo.

i was curiosity as to why the use of bnc vs. just a spdif digital output? Does bnc have different ohm output than spdif or it is the same just a different form of connection?
    I don't use USB.

Post Thanks / Like

It's the same but some manufacturers see it as a more secure connection type.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Nuprime CDT-8, Teac Reference NT-505, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II, BHK Preamp with BHK 250 amp or Kinki EX-M1, Reynaud Abscissa Jubilee, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Dueland IC's, Triode Wire Labs SC & PC's, Equi=Core 1800, PI Audio Uberbuss, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, W4S Recovery with iPower, Nuprime DAC-10, Mivera Purepower, Nola KO's, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Audio Sensibility SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Post Thanks / Like

BNC connectors are available in a true 75 ohm impedance (50 ohm BNCs are also available) which is the ideal load impedance for SPDIF digital connection. RCA connectors can be used on SPDIF cable but rarely (if ever) can be designed to present the ideal 75 ohm load due to the conductor spacing of the plug. The secure locking feature of the BNC connector is an additional advantage compared to RCA.

5. Likes wklie, FDPDK, thingswelike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    BNC connectors are available in a true 75 ohm impedance (50 ohm BNCs are also available) which is the ideal load impedance for SPDIF digital connection. RCA connectors can be used on SPDIF cable but rarely (if ever) can be designed to present the ideal 75 ohm load due to the conductor spacing of the plug. The secure locking feature of the BNC connector is an additional advantage compared to RCA.
    I feel as though i'm doing my system a disservice using a $400 rca interconnect on the digital output with a $5 bnc adapter. You're saying I should get a 50ohm digital cable with BNC a connector?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by niner View Post
    I feel as though i'm doing my system a disservice using a $400 rca interconnect on the digital output with a $5 bnc adapter. You're saying I should get a 50ohm digital cable with BNC a connector?
    Absolutely not, 75 ohms is the ideal impedance for a coaxial SPDIF connection. Some cable companies make their coaxial cables terminated with proper 75 ohm BNCs and provide RCA adapters to use if needed. That cable would likely be better than using an RCA terminated cable with BNC adapters, but you should avoid a 50 ohm cable or 50 ohm BNC connectors. I know it can be confusing, hope I helped to clarify the muddy waters a bit!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by niner View Post
    Agree completely with audio.bill - if 75 ohm is the recommendation then that is the cable I would use - if I could use BNC connectors I would - they are a better connector than RCA & no BS about how they are made - function over form.

9. Thanks audio.bill thanked for this post

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16