Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Anyone have some experience and opinion on these three Phono Preamps?

Just wondering how these phono preamps compare: (If anyone here has any experience with them in their world)
    Musical Surroundings Phonomena 2
    Musical Fidelity MX Vynl
    Parasound JC3 Jr

I’m not sure I want to change out my current phono preamp unless one of the above clearly out-performs my current phono pre.
    I currently run the Musical Surroundings Phonomena 2. It is no doubt a good phono pre, but my only gripe is access to the adjustments for load and capacitance, it is a real PITA. I mostly run MM carts, but have a couple of MC carts I want to try and eventually some other MM carts on my list. While load is pretty much the same for MM carts, capacitance can sometimes differ between a preferred sound or not. In other words, I would like to experiment. The problem on my current phono pre is getting to those adjustments and working them. (Tiny dip switches underneath requiring a tool to flip and can not be done on the fly).
    Sound-wise there is no issue with the Phonomena 2. That said, pretending there is no price on the units, would either the Musical Fidelity MX Vynl or Parasound JC3 Jr be a lateral move or a clear upgrade easily noticeable without having to even pay attention, if you know what I mean?

One thing I note straight away is that the Parasound does not have adjustments for capacitance, which could be a deal breaker.

Sorry I will not mention the rest of the gear I run because not only do I prefer not to so as to avoid a war or something, but I also do not think it is necessary in this case. The only thing that really matters is the music.

Like I said, I may be better off sticking with what I run now if the gain would be subtle at best, but I am curious to know what census is.

Re: Anyone have some experience and opinion on these three Phono Preamps?

Welcome to AS. The only unit I've heard is the Musical Surroundings, and, I liked the sound.

I can one up you though, my phono stage is adjustable but inside. So I'd have to take the top off the unit. Not sure why designers want to do that do us
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Oh, that is awful.
    I have no issues with the sound of my Phonomena 2, never have, just access to adjustments. However, with your description of you unit, it makes the Phonomena 2 only a minor inconvenience at worst should I want to change capacitance or resistance settings.
    I’m beginning to think that moving to the Musical Fidelity unit or Parasound JC3 jr would be a lateral move at best and more expensive.

Yup, after further research, I think it best to stick with my Phonomena 2. Moving to the Musical Fidelity unit at more money would be lateral at best regarding sound. Moving to the Parasound JC3 Jr at double the price of the Phonomena could actually be a move downward.

Other than the Parasound JC3 Jr, I've read reviews and also a video review or two where both the other phono pre's mentioned above were out-performed by the little Schiit Mani.
    Pass Labs XP-20 | Auralic Altair G1 | Odyssey Audio Stratos Monoblocks | JVC XL-Z411 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

I used to own the musical surroundings Phonomena years ago. I replaced it with the Musicsl Surroundings Nova II. Just recently I bought the Parasound Jc3 jr and was able to compare the Nova II side by side with the JC3 Jr. I liked the sound of the JC3 Jr better and sold the Nova II. The adjustments are much easier on the JC3 and it is a quieter than the MS.

Hmm, I have only run across one review (pro) for the Musical Fidelity My Vynl and it was skewered.
    The JC3 Jr has more reviews, but they are all "professional reviews", which I take with a big grain of salt, but from what I could gather the JC3 Jr seems to be a mixed bag. I have no noise issues with my Phonomena 2 that I know of, it could be because despite the wall wart, I have it plugged into a power conditioner. At any rate I do read a common theme in all the reviews about the JC3 Jr being dead quiet, that's a good thing. It does have a better power supply and all than the Phonomena 2, but despite the inconvenience of making load and capacitance adjustments on the Phonomena and since I am having no trouble and I do want to have some capacitance adjustment for MM carts, I will stick with the Phonomena unless I find that capacitance adjustment is not that big an impact in which case I would consider the JC3 Jr. for future.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiophobiac View Post
    Hmm, I have only run across one review (pro) for the Musical Fidelity My Vynl and it was skewered.
    The JC3 Jr has more reviews, but they are all "professional reviews", which I take with a big grain of salt, but from what I could gather the JC3 Jr seems to be a mixed bag. I have no noise issues with my Phonomena 2 that I know of, it could be because despite the wall wart, I have it plugged into a power conditioner. At any rate I do read a common theme in all the reviews about the JC3 Jr being dead quiet, that's a good thing. It does have a better power supply and all than the Phonomena 2, but despite the inconvenience of making load and capacitance adjustments on the Phonomena and since I am having no trouble and I do want to have some capacitance adjustment for MM carts, I will stick with the Phonomena unless I find that capacitance adjustment is not that big an impact in which case I would consider the JC3 Jr. for future.
    Hace you consideres the Nova II? It is a newer/improved version of the Phonomena. You can find it in used for less than $600.

Fwiw, I have a Benz cartridge and had no problem with the capacitance of the JC3jr. The JC3jr does sound better than the Nova (and the Phonomena) in my system.

To be honest, I have not considered the Nova mostly because it is battery powered and I can barely deal with my tablet computer being battery powered. If one could just keep it plugged in and I could find one used, I may consider it, but I also need to see if it is an upgrade or a lateral move. I suspect it would be lateral, but I have not looked. Finding one used would also be a problem since I do not go near Ebay.

While I am not a huge fan of MC carts, I am not against them completely either (I have one or two on hand I would like to try). That said, my main use is MM and I run anything from an AT95E to a Ortofon 2M Bronze or what have you. For my tables, an $800 cart or more would be massive overkill and not really provide any significant gains in performance in my opinion. I'd do better having a great phono pre and less expensive carts. (Not that I am not running Crosleys or any plastic tables and such, but they are legacy and direct drive and not Technics DJ either. They are solid performers though and will live beyond my lifespan).
    I still feel I might be disappointed if I got something without the ability to adjust capacitance for MM carts. However, upon further consideration, I'm thinking gain has more effect than capacitance on MM carts and MC carts of course. In other words, adjustable gain is more important, especially for MC carts in particular. Time to take another look at the JC3 Jr I think.

Taking a hard look I am wondering about the Project Phono box RS or DS2 (preferably the RS) vs the Parasound JC3 Jr.
    Project has the same features as the JC3 Jr except the differences are that the Project has adjustable capacitance is dual mono amps, has a RIAA/Decca switch (of no great importance to me) and has a wall wart power supply and no mono switch.
    The JC3 Jr has no capacitance adjustment, is a stereo amp, has a toroidal transformer, no wall wart and has a mono switch. (I do have need for a mono switch).
    Both have good reviews and both are claimed to be the same in performance according to reviews. My caveat with the Parasound JC3 Jr is it bass handling. From the reviews I understand that it is not great at that, but not inept either. I like articulate, musical bass that sounds properly balanced with impact. I do not like boomy bass or extreme thump. That is fine for movies, but not music. However, I also do not like thin bass that sounds like it is struggling. That said though, that also can depend on the cart and other adjustments as well, such as on the main preamp, etc. My main preamp has tone controls, but also a defeat switch as well. (I usually run flat or no tone, but sometimes a tweak is needed depending on recording or what have you).

The question is are either of these units a significant upgrade from the Musical Surroundings Phonomena 2? Of course, the real way to tell is by hearing them myself in my system, but I do not have a convenient and inexpensive way to do so. So while asking if this or that would be an upgrade from what I have is subjective, I still like to have a leg up going in so to speak based on features or what have you (not price).

The battery operated Nova II remains plugged to electric power all the time. You switch it to battery mode by pushing a button when you are playing a record. You can find used ones in Audiogon.
    In any event, my experience is:
    JC3jr > Nova II > Phonomena

Yes, I am now considering either the JC3 Jr or the Zphono XRM in 5 months or so. It seems the JC3 Jr might be an upgrade from the Phonomena after further looking. I'm leaning more towards the JC3 Jr, but the XRM looks pretty ok too, I just am not sure it would be an upgrade from the Phonomena, but who knows? The XRM has some good points over the Phonomena as well. For one, the mono switch and the easier load adjustment, which can also be done on the fly. The Phonomena can't touch this.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Anyone have some experience and opinion on these three Phono Preamps?