Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Vac 200iq tube rolling question

I had some RCA 6SN7 tubes left over from some Headphone tube amps i owned and changed out the stock tubes. They sounded quite nice perhaps a little clearer. Now I’m getting wanting to try some different Kt88 and have been looking at Psvane KT88-TII and at their other offering the new Treasure KT88-CZ Cobalt blue tubes.
    Anyone try them yet in their amps? Any opinions?
    I would also like to sometime try KT150 tubes but some folks opine that for them to sound good the amp should be designed specifically for that tube so I’m not sure I want to spend good money on them.
    Or putting it another way do you think because the the 200iq is not specific for kt150s does it sound as good with them as those that are like the Conrad-Johnson’s and Audio Research?
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Re: Vac 200iq tube rolling question

I liked both the RCA and Sylvania 6SN7’s in the 200iQ’s. I thought the RCA’s a touch richer, the Sylvania’s a touch brighter. Different flavors for different tastes. My dealer prefers Sylvania’s. I prefer RCA’s.

I use the Gold Lion KT88’s. I thought that the PSvane KT-88 T-II were a bit too rich and thick for my taste. I had RCA 6SN7’s in the amps when I tried the PSvanes. I suspect the PSvanes would match better with the Sylvania’s but I didn’t try that combination.

If you try the newer Treasures, let us know what you think about them.

I asked Kevin about using KT150’s, and while KT150’s can be used in the 200iQ’s, he prefers the more balanced sound of KT88’s. He said I could use KT150’s, but wouldn’t get any more power from them, so it really boils down to which tube sonics you prefer.
    Analog source: AMG Viella 12; Ortofon Anna cartridge, van den Hul Crimson Stradivarius XGW
    Digital source: Totaldac d1-twelve Mk2 DAC, Totaldac d1-player, Totaldac d1-streamer, Totaldac Live Power supply
    Pre amp: VAC Master with phono
    Phonostage: ​Constellation Andromeda
    Amps: VAC 200iQ monoblocks
    Speakers: Magico M3 with MPods
    Cables: Synergistic Research Galileo SX speaker, phono, analog and digital interconnects
    Power products: Synergistic Research Galileo PowerCell SX and Transporter Ultra. Galileo SX and SRX power cords. Keces P3 LPS for cable modem and router.

Incoming tubes: KT120’s .........hope curiosity doesn’t kill the Vac.....lol
    I have been wanting to try these but it will take some major goods to unseat The Kt150’s I’m afraid.
    I have been acquiring all sorts of 6SN7s and swapping in and out. Good news bad news: no clear winners for me..they all sound dang good. Ah do luv the Sylvanias mids and the Ken-Rad’s bass....
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling

hope the 120's are everything your wishing for.
    As for 6sn7's, Generally speaking RCA's are warm, Sylvania's are bigger and bolder.
    Many different flavors out there. Including the 5692's.
    My all time favorite is a 6F8G on an adapter. RCA's or Tung-Sol's are my top choices.
    I have a theory about the size of the tube bottle. In my findings the larger the bottle the more spacial a presentation it has. Thus the 6F8G's sound more 3D than the same brand 6SN7,
    This holds true for any of the tubes I have tried in both the 6SN7 family and others.
    The "GT's" are the smaller more common bottle size vs the "G" series which were the older coke bottle style.
    These are my observations in my equipment. YMMV.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

I wonder if using an adapter with one of these tubes “safe” with Vac amps?
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling

Yep, safe with any amp that uses 6SN7's
    The 6F8g is the grandfather of the 6sn7 lineage.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

Awesome info! Thanks, more fun coming up!
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling

Why on earth would I think they would be CHEAPER than 6SN7’s lol......
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling

Well the Kt120´s burning! Nice first impressions. Very nice control of mids and highs without shrillness perhaps better than the Kt150s. Bass is strong but a little muddy compared to the Kt150s which I’m hoping will clear up with a little run time. Stage appears smaller.
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling

My tube search is almost ended. I absolutely love the sound I’m getting.
    The verdict is in. KT-150’s still my favorite. The muddy bass of the KT120’s cleaned up nicely but the stage is still small compared to the 150’s imo.
    My current lineup in my 200iq is Kt150s and 4 grey glass RCA’s 6SN7GT’s
    I have also been rolling tubes in my Vac Master Preamp. My preference by a slim margin is for the Amperex 6922 PQ over the Mullard 6922.
    I am still gonna try some 6F8G with adapters eventually though.
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Dguitarnut View Post
    My tube search is almost ended. I absolutely love the sound I’m getting.
    The verdict is in. KT-150’s still my favorite. The muddy bass of the KT120’s cleaned up nicely but the stage is still small compared to the 150’s imo.
    My current lineup in my 200iq is Kt150s and 4 grey glass RCA’s 6SN7GT’s
    I have also been rolling tubes in my Vac Master Preamp. My preference by a slim margin is for the Amperex 6922 PQ over the Mullard 6922.
    I am still gonna try some 6F8G with adapters eventually though.
    Larry, we need to give those KR KT150’s a spin.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Larry,

As a member of the fraternal order of the 200iQ, I have found the KT 150's vs the stock KT 88's to be more of a choice thing instead of a better or worse thing... This might be because my ears are my ears and everyone is different.

I agree that the low end is always going to have more of a solid and defined punch with the 150's. For me, the 150's give up a little in the mid range in favor of the low end and a sharper high end. Sometimes that sharpness in the high end is great and sometimes it has too much bite for me. It might just be that I prefer mid range over everything else.

Do you prefer the 150's across the board over the 88's?

I have also recently tried out a nos set of Sylvania 6SN7 Tall Boys, and they definitely cleared up the entire picture by a full step for me... They made the 200iQ sparkle in a new way. I'm leaving them in!

Mike / Larry: Sign me up for the 200iQ / KR KT150 testing crew! Just tell me where to order when you want to pull the trigger. Maybe we can get a power buy going?! ;-)
    Jeremy

Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Power Amp: VAC 200iQ (stereo)
    Source/DAC/Preamplifier: MSB Reference DAC (Femto 77 / Dual Powerbase)
    Power: Shunyata Triton V3 / Shunyata Typhon QR / AQ NRG 20 Outlet / Dedicated 20 amp circuit
    -------------
    Power Cables: AQ Dragons to components / AQ Hurricane to Typhon QR
    Speaker Cables: MIT Heritage MI 2C3D - Level 1
    Interconnects: MIT Heritage MI 2C3D - Level 1 (XLR)
    Ethernet: AQ Vodka > Aqvox SE > AQ Diamond > MSB Reference DAC
    Racks: Critical Mass Sotto Voce with Black Platinum shelves

I’ve got KT150s in my 450 Statement iQs and love them.

I’d be interested in volunteering for the testing corps, but what’s the retail on the KR KT150s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rockport Lyra speakers; TotalDac Amp-1 mono blocks; four box CH Precision L1/X1 pre/power supply monos; CH precision P1/X1 phono/power supply; TotalDac d1-driver monos; Pacific Microsonics Model 2 DAC; TotalDac d1-12 MkII DAC with two reclockers; Kodo The Beat Turnatable with LT Schroder magnesium tonearm and Lyra Atlas cart; Taiko Extreme server; Kalista Dreamplayer CD Transport; Taiko Audio Daiza Platforms; Nordost Odin2 Power Cords and Analog ICs; 512 Engineering/Tim Marutani Balanced Transformers (30 amp for sources; 50 amp for amps); Rives designed dedicated room.

Wow....KR Kt150s should be sweet. I loved the KR Kt88’s when I tried them Mike and I thought they were beautiful, with a better balance and midrange than the stock Golden Lions. I would have kept them had I not fallen in love with Tungsols Kt150s.
    To me the Kt150s were a little brash in the highs like you said Jeremy but in my system build it has been tamed with the Gigafoil and supporting tube combinations.
    I admit the midrange is not as glorious as with the Kt88’s specially when I tried the vintage Genalex Golden Monarchs or Lions. But I gotta have that bass and expansive stage that the 150s give me that they did not have.
    I hate compromising and wish there was that perfect tube. Maybe these KR Kt150s have that mojo. The search for the holy grail of sound is fun and frustrating at the same time.
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling

I have not tried other KT 88's yet... It's a new tube type for me, so I'm not up to speed on the options.

Larry, did you find a good dealer for the KR's? did you try other KT88's? I will probably give them a try
    Jeremy

Power: Shunyata Triton V3 / Shunyata Typhon QR / AQ NRG 20 Outlet / Dedicated 20 amp circuit
    -------------

Mike is a KR dealer. I usually meet him in a dark alley at the corner of international Pl. and Professional Park dr............
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling

Thanks! I just purchased a quad of the KR KT88's from Mike! Looking forward to rolling them in!
    Jeremy

-------------

Quote Originally Posted by steinkrieg View Post
    Larry,

I have also recently tried out a nos set of Sylvania 6SN7 Tall Boys, and they definitely cleared up the entire picture by a full step for me... They made the 200iQ sparkle in a new way. I'm leaving them in!

Mike / Larry: Sign me up for the 200iQ / KR KT150 testing crew! Just tell me where to order when you want to pull the trigger. Maybe we can get a power buy going?! ;-)
    I switched to Sylvania 6SN7’s 6-9 months ago from RCA’s. Agree with the “cleared up” and “sparkle” comments.

I keep thinking that I should do some power tube rolling. The GL’s probably are a bit “warm” and could use a bit more “clearing up”. But when I sit down to listen, I think “Why would I ever change tubes”? The 200 iQ’s with GL KT88’s just sound so “right” and thoroughly enjoyable!

Dave
    Analog source: AMG Viella 12; Ortofon Anna cartridge, van den Hul Crimson Stradivarius XGW
    Digital source: Totaldac d1-twelve Mk2 DAC, Totaldac d1-player, Totaldac d1-streamer, Totaldac Live Power supply
    Pre amp: VAC Master with phono
    Phonostage: ​Constellation Andromeda
    Amps: VAC 200iQ monoblocks
    Speakers: Magico M3 with MPods
    Cables: Synergistic Research Galileo SX speaker, phono, analog and digital interconnects
    Power products: Synergistic Research Galileo PowerCell SX and Transporter Ultra. Galileo SX and SRX power cords. Keces P3 LPS for cable modem and router.

The KR Kt88’s I liked a lots! I think you will be pleased Jeremy.
    Do the tall boy Sylvanias sound different than the short ones?
    i have a pair of 6SN7S GT Sylvanias but not tall boys. They sound very nice and are a little more transparent or airy than the RCA’s.
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling

Lots of folks do seem to like the tall boys for various reasons. It's all so system and ear dependent that I have trouble making grand statements about any tubes. However, the tall boys that I did get do have that airy transparency that you mention. Here is a great link to info about 6SN7's... also check out the videos. Lots of info here on these tubes and many other types! I got my tall boys from Brent as well, but he is currently out of stock.

http://www.audiotubes.com/6sn7.htm
    Jeremy

-------------

Has anyone run across a review of the KR KT150 tubes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rockport Lyra speakers; TotalDac Amp-1 mono blocks; four box CH Precision L1/X1 pre/power supply monos; CH precision P1/X1 phono/power supply; TotalDac d1-driver monos; Pacific Microsonics Model 2 DAC; TotalDac d1-12 MkII DAC with two reclockers; Kodo The Beat Turnatable with LT Schroder magnesium tonearm and Lyra Atlas cart; Taiko Extreme server; Kalista Dreamplayer CD Transport; Taiko Audio Daiza Platforms; Nordost Odin2 Power Cords and Analog ICs; 512 Engineering/Tim Marutani Balanced Transformers (30 amp for sources; 50 amp for amps); Rives designed dedicated room.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Vac 200iq tube rolling question