ARC Power Cords
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: ARC Power Cords

Post Thanks / Like

ARC Power Cords

How many have tried alternative power cords with their ARC equipment? The 20amp IEC jack makes it more difficult than normal. I made a Furtech based PC and was amazed at the improvemnt on my REF5SE.
    Marty
    Main system: SGC sonicTransporter I7, microRendu,Terminator DAC, Audio Research REF5SE, Nord B&O 1200as mono amps, Von Schweikert VR5 Anniversary MKII, JPS Labs, Furutech cabling and connectors.
    Office System: Linn LP12, Aurender N100H, Audio Research LS27, Oppo Sonica, Nord NC500, KEF R500

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ARC Power Cords

I also use an aftermarket power cord (Transparent) on my ARC Ref 10 preamplifier. The improvement was not subtle.
    Source component-Esoteric K-01X
    Preamp-
    Audio Research Reference 10
    Amplifier- ​D'Agostino Progression monoblocks
    Speakers-
    Wilson Audio Maxx 3
    Isolation stand-HRS SXR
    Cables-Transparent Reference speaker and Super I/C's.
    Power conditioning-Transparent Power Isolator and Transparent power cords
    Room treatment-Vicoustics

3. Likes Oly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Shunyata is also a great match for ARC.

Mike

5. Thanks sam5 thanked for this post
    Likes Mike, Oly liked this post
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

As Mike said, Shunyata is really good with ARC.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, ClearAudio Turntables & Accessories, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

So Mike and Mike you both have heard considerable improvements with aftermarket power cords on your ARC equipment?
    Marty
    Main system: SGC sonicTransporter I7, microRendu,Terminator DAC, Audio Research REF5SE, Nord B&O 1200as mono amps, Von Schweikert VR5 Anniversary MKII, JPS Labs, Furutech cabling and connectors.
    Office System: Linn LP12, Aurender N100H, Audio Research LS27, Oppo Sonica, Nord NC500, KEF R500

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    So Mike and Mike you both have heard considerable improvements with aftermarket power cords on your ARC equipment?
    Most definitely. It’s a Ying and Yang thing with power cords I find. ARC gear typically doesn’t need more transparency and resolution, but some additional body added to the midrange is nice, so Shunyata is a good match.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, ClearAudio Turntables & Accessories, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

I found this out with the Furutech cable and the rhodium plugs. First hours of listening was a clarity three ring circus! It has now settled into a great balance. I am going to assume it has stepped the REF5SE up to more of a REF6 clarity level?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Most definitely. It’s a Ying and Yang thing with power cords I find. ARC gear typically doesn’t need more transparency and resolution, but some additional body added to the midrange is nice, so Shunyata is a good match.
    Marty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    How many have tried alternative power cords with their ARC equipment? The 20amp IEC jack makes it more difficult than normal. I made a Furtech based PC and was amazed at the improvemnt on my REF5SE.
    I for one have never tried an aftermarket PC for my ARC gear. I honestly haven't felt the need to try and 'improve' my Ref 6 or Ref 75 with the magic of a PC. The stock 20A PCs that ARC provides are well made and they actually work without trying to pull themselves out of the gear or the wall.
    Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, laptop music server running JRiver 20, Mytek Stereo 192 DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, NOLA KO speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and a pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark I was in this camp as well but couldn't resist the urge to change. You know how us audiophiles are about the unknown. For me the change to the REF5SE was a welcome improvement. I hate to say it but I am bringing the REF75 out this weekend with a Furtech PC to try. The madness never ends.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    I for one have never tried an aftermarket PC for my ARC gear. I honestly haven't felt the need to try and 'improve' my Ref 6 or Ref 75 with the magic of a PC. The stock 20A PCs that ARC provides are well made and they actually work without trying to pull themselves out of the gear or the wall.
    Marty

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if ARC is still recommending Sain Line Systems power cords with their gear, but historically they've been used by ARC in their in-house listening and testing. You can read some comments on the combination in their testimonials section and I recall reading about their association in some ARC gear reviews from years past.