Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Thinking about upgrading my preamp...

The Wyred 4 Sound is definitely a better pre-amp and more flexible, however it does not have a built in DAC. You could use your OPPO as your DAC.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    The Wyred 4 Sound is definitely a better pre-amp and more flexible, however it does not have a built in DAC. You could use your OPPO as your DAC.
    Well, without there being a direct comparison between the two, no one will know if one is "definitely" better than the other as a simple preamp as far as sound quality is concerned.

But, with that being said, the hunt is over. I made the "mistake" of contacting Walter at Underwood Hifi last night. I couldn't refuse his great offer on the Stellar Gain Cell DAC and ordered it. It will be here before this coming weekend.

I DO want to thank everyone who gave me their input, opinions and options in this thread though. You've all been a great help.
    Pass Labs XP-20 | Auralic Altair G1 | Odyssey Audio Stratos Monoblocks | JVC XL-Z411 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

Gratz my friend. It is always great getting everyone's inputs and thoughts. To me that helps a lot. Sometimes something that is said gets me thinking about something I had not previously considered... sometimes not...

In the end you pick what is fitting your needs the most. The PS Audio is a good piece of gear and I am sure you will be happy with it!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thank you sir! You are correct. Getting info and thoughts from others does in fact trigger your own thoughts about things that you didn't really consider beforehand. And to be honest, I was extremely close to pulling the trigger on a maxed out Hattor "BIG" preamp. That little thing is just sexy and a great deal even at full price. For some reason, I decided to halt on ordering it right away because I wanted to do just a little more research and a few more options to look at.

Trust me, if money were no object, I would either have a Pass XP-12, McIntosh C47 or... OR... the Dan D'Agostino Momentum.
    Pass Labs XP-20 | Auralic Altair G1 | Odyssey Audio Stratos Monoblocks | JVC XL-Z411 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

If money was no object I could be very dangerous ...

Maybe an ARC Reference 10... top end Mc... but I would probably lean towards ultra sound quality, which in my view would eliminate my home town company (Sorry Mc owners ). After having these SET amps I am not sure I could go back .

A guy in our audio club has a Reference 10 phono pre-amp. He is using a MBL pre-amp and MBL mono blocks with his new MBL speakers. He also has a dCS digital (mainly as a spinner since he has not gotten into music server yet).

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I think all of us would be very dangerous if that were the case. LOL

I've had a few all tube systems with SET amps before, and there's definitely something magical about them. But that was back in my large high efficiency loudspeaker days when I had the room for them and the fact that I used to turn off my equipment every day.

I don't believe I would be happy with a standard SET amp because I have never been happy with horn/super efficient speakers. Granted, I have not heard the new high end of this type speaker.

The Audio Mirror has enough power to drive my KEFs, so one of the high end more powerful SETs ...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Charles glad to see you are considering the Hattor. You are more than welcome to borrow my all passive Hattor if you like. It is all XLR in and out but I think I have a pair of RCA converters.

Quote Originally Posted by chops View Post
    Thank you sir! You are correct. Getting info and thoughts from others does in fact trigger your own thoughts about things that you didn't really consider beforehand. And to be honest, I was extremely close to pulling the trigger on a maxed out Hattor "BIG" preamp. That little thing is just sexy and a great deal even at full price. For some reason, I decided to halt on ordering it right away because I wanted to do just a little more research and a few more options to look at.

Trust me, if money were no object, I would either have a Pass XP-12, McIntosh C47 or... OR... the Dan D'Agostino Momentum.
    Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

I don't believe I would be happy with a standard SET amp because I have never been happy with horn/super efficient speakers. Granted, I have not heard the new high end of this type speaker.

The Audio Mirror has enough power to drive my KEFs, so one of the high end more powerful SETs ...
    I don't know... Maybe something in the Tannoy Prestige line would do nicely with a pair of small SET amps.

Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    Charles glad to see you are considering the Hattor. You are more than welcome to borrow my all passive Hattor if you like. It is all XLR in and out but I think I have a pair of RCA converters.
    Marty, thank you for the very kind offer. I too have some of those XLR/RCA converters as well back when I was running the dbx Driverack and active multi-amp setup. I honestly don't know how a purely passive preamp would work in my system with dual powered subs and somewhat inefficient monitor speakers. The subs would be no worry, but I don't know if I would have enough gain for the monitors.

When my Audio Mirror finally arrives back I am hoping it is perfect and matches the amps wonderfully. If it is not 100% perfect then I will probably go with a refund and the Hattor might be something to consider.

I was looking at their website and In find it a bit confusing. In several of the photos I see both XLR and RCA inputs and outputs (which is what I want). But I don't understanding the pricing structure. They show several options and I cannot determine exactly how much the configuration that I want would run?

Also, do they come with a remote? I see pictures of remote but it is confusing if this is optional????

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

When my Audio Mirror finally arrives back I am hoping it is perfect and matches the amps wonderfully. If it is not 100% perfect then I will probably go with a refund and the Hattor might be something to consider.

I was looking at their website and In find it a bit confusing. In several of the photos I see both XLR and RCA inputs and outputs (which is what I want). But I don't understanding the pricing structure. They show several options and I cannot determine exactly how much the configuration that I want would run?

Also, do they come with a remote? I see pictures of remote but it is confusing if this is optional????
    Randy,

I had no idea you were having issues with your Audio Mirror preamp. Hopefully it comes back safely and works the way it should. It's never fun having issues with stereo equipment and the fears of shipping back and forth.

Hattor's site is the clearest out there, but essentially you get to choose what grade resistors you want to use, whatever combination of XLR and and single ended inputs and outputs you want, whether you want a fully passive unit or an active section with two different types of opamps, and/or a tube buffer stage, not to mention what kind of chassis finish you want. I believe the remote comes with any and all options.

Yeah... Clear as mud, right?

Yes, very muddy indeed ...

Yes the Audio Mirror had an issue right out of the box ... Vlad offered to refund it but also said if I shipped it back he would give it top priority. He said he ran it for a full day prior to shipping, which I believe he did. He seems like a straight shooter.... It just has taken FedEx two weeks to get it back to him in Minnesota ....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Sorry to hear that Randy. These days, it doesn't matter if you ship USPS, FedEx or UPS. They all stink and don't care one bit about the packages they handle. I've seen it first hand right in front of me. They simply don't care.

Hopefully your preamp will get back to you soon.

Yea, especially since I really have not been able to even listen to it yet (other than troubleshooting).

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Awesome Charles. How does it sound?

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Oly View Post
    IMO the best sounding preamp under $2K is the Wyred4Sound STP-SE
    Have to say that I was not impressed with the STP-SE. Went back to a Bryston BP-25 with MPS-1 power supply. Perhaps it was a question of system synergy (Universal Audio 2192 ADC/DAC, Technics SP-10MKII table, Ayre P-5x phono stage, McCormack DNA-500, Bryston BDP-3 music streamer, Tannoy System 215 DMT II speakers, Mogami wire, Torus RM20 power isolation unit).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Thinking about upgrading my preamp...