Playing beyond it's price point - Page 7
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Playing beyond it's price point

Are you speaking of a dedicated computer with nothing to do but play music? I'm not even sure that can even be done with a computer as it would look for updates etc. and always have some background jobs going on.

Wouldn't a stand alone streamer have an advantage with only having one dedicated job to do and being specialized to do that one job?

Or, maybe streamers are just for guys like me that really don't want to have anything to do with a computer while listening to music. I suppose there's an argument whether using my IPhone and streamer is a computer but it's not, not in the same way.
    Mark Levinson #526 & 532h, JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart, AcousTech PH-1P
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Post Thanks / Like

I dedicate a computer to my music... it is a music server in every way in my view. I have turned off unnecessary services and have very limited software installed. I do allow for updates because the machine has to be on the Internet for Roon updates. The machine does nothing but server my music files and therefore does not need extra software installed... I do not even connect a monitor, keyboard, or mouse to the machine. I use Remote Desktop from my controller machines or my laptop to load new music or if I ever (rarely) need to do any maintenance on the machine.

The way I figure it a true powerful computer you might want to compare to a Ferrari while many pre-built music servers have the power of a Pinto, in a comparison. Even the few extra clock cycles that the machine might need to perform is virtually nothing compared to extra power in the machine. I have seen many custom built music servers with a fraction of the power but at many times higher price tags.
    Pre & Amplifiers: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2 | Audio Mirror SET 45 | T+A AMP 8
    Digital: T+A DAC 8 DSD | Falcon NW Tiki | Roon & HQPlayer | W4S Recovery
    Other: AQ Niagara 1000 | Oppo BDP-105 | Technics ST-9030
    Speakers & Cans: KEF R700s | Focal Clear

3. Likes Mr Peabody liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems like a sensitive topic. Not interested in participating with the way it’s going. Keep doing what you’re doing, it’s all good.

5. Likes Mr Peabody liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is a Pinto. Very little power. 6 watts. It is specifically designed to play music. It has 5 linear PS in it. The MB and SSD are on vibration isolation stands. There are multiple steel walls dividing the sections of the machine keeping noise pollution from contaminating adjacent sections. Even the case metal was finished with a material that provides its own level of isolation. AO keeps if from updating windows. If I want to update software such as Roon I open my Roon account and tell it to update. It came with a Linux OS but I had it changed out to MS. I like the sound better. I think. I may drop a new MSATA OS into the motherboard and change out the SSD to see how the performance compares. The original Linux OS was running JRiver. I did not like that configuration. I did like the HQPlayer on the Linux OS, but I was not able to get Roon working right. I hear Roon does not like to play friendly in server mode when one machine is Linux and the controlling machine is MS. They failed to hold a connection. Linux is also an unfriendly environment to work in unless you have a software background. MS is much easier for me to configure the communication on the network. You know what I really like about my machine, it not only sounds amazing, but I can also play Spotify, Pandora, Primephonic, Deezer or any radio station I want to listen too. I have 0 limitations. For the $4,500 I spent, I am very happy. When I sent it for an upgrade and installed my Asus laptop, you really heard the loss of musicality. I was surprised at the bass from the Asus, but the midrange and highs were flat and uninviting. Just dull and lacking magic.

Even with all that goes into my server, the Linear Solution "Endpoint" stepped up the game. Better definition of instruments with a more clean intelligible high end. Bass was pretty much unchanged. That was with the Wall Wort PS. I have a linear PS to use and it is suppose to improve the performance even more.

My machine is not designed to upsample. 6 watts in not enough power to compute properly. I have to do some more research, to fully understand Roon. I think in server mode the upsampling would happen in my office PC that is controlling the core. IF that is the case, then upsamping would be no problem. For me it's not really an issue. I only have PCM 24/192 on my DAC. Hence I like Qobuz.

You know whats really kind of funny. All the fiddling on the digital front end at some point becomes minute improvements. It's damb fine now and hard to make better. I have been offered a large upgrade to my preamp for $2,000. The last time I upgraded the preamp for $700 my jaw hit the floor. It was that big a gain. Why I "F" around with miniscule improvements for $1000 to $2000 and don't get the preamp modded. Sometimes I just don't get myself.
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp, Altec Lansing 1570B modded by Transition Audio Design and myself, Mojo Audio CAT Server running Win Server 2016 AO HQ and Roon, Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC, Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Custom TT with Vertere Arm, Denon 103R Midas with sapphire cantilever line contact diamond, Allnic H1201 phono pre, Pure Audio Project Trio 10 with performance Solen air core chokes and Mundord Supreme oil caps, Power via 10 awg OFC cord from panel to custom distribution strip, Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.

7. Likes Mr Peabody liked this post
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

T+A Criterion 2200’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

Everything is the best until you experience something better.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC452, MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

10. Likes Sean, audio.bill, UltraFast69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard the Dynaudio the other day. For $7,500, very nice. I really don't know what speakers play beyond a price point. Many new ones today sound great when configured correct. They are doing a better and better job of getting the box out of the sound.

I tried to look up some info on the
    T+A Criterion 2200’s. I don't get all the guys posting on YouTube. Playing a song then saying wow, wasn't that great. Sure it sounded great through my Panasonic tv speakers. I love the OCD Hifi guy, but he does the same thing all the time. Plays comparisons between amps, speakers what have you. Can anyone here actually get any sort of taste for what anything sounds like through YouTube?
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp, Altec Lansing 1570B modded by Transition Audio Design and myself, Mojo Audio CAT Server running Win Server 2016 AO HQ and Roon, Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC, Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Custom TT with Vertere Arm, Denon 103R Midas with sapphire cantilever line contact diamond, Allnic H1201 phono pre, Pure Audio Project Trio 10 with performance Solen air core chokes and Mundord Supreme oil caps, Power via 10 awg OFC cord from panel to custom distribution strip, Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.

Post Thanks / Like

Any NAD integrated amps.
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    Mine is a Pinto. Very little power. 6 watts. It is specifically designed to play music. It has 5 linear PS in it. The MB and SSD are on vibration isolation stands. There are multiple steel walls dividing the sections of the machine keeping noise pollution from contaminating adjacent sections. Even the case metal was finished with a material that provides its own level of isolation. AO keeps if from updating windows. If I want to update software such as Roon I open my Roon account and tell it to update. It came with a Linux OS but I had it changed out to MS. I like the sound better. I think. I may drop a new MSATA OS into the motherboard and change out the SSD to see how the performance compares. The original Linux OS was running JRiver. I did not like that configuration. I did like the HQPlayer on the Linux OS, but I was not able to get Roon working right. I hear Roon does not like to play friendly in server mode when one machine is Linux and the controlling machine is MS. They failed to hold a connection. Linux is also an unfriendly environment to work in unless you have a software background. MS is much easier for me to configure the communication on the network. You know what I really like about my machine, it not only sounds amazing, but I can also play Spotify, Pandora, Primephonic, Deezer or any radio station I want to listen too. I have 0 limitations. For the $4,500 I spent, I am very happy. When I sent it for an upgrade and installed my Asus laptop, you really heard the loss of musicality. I was surprised at the bass from the Asus, but the midrange and highs were flat and uninviting. Just dull and lacking magic.

Even with all that goes into my server, the Linear Solution "Endpoint" stepped up the game. Better definition of instruments with a more clean intelligible high end. Bass was pretty much unchanged. That was with the Wall Wort PS. I have a linear PS to use and it is suppose to improve the performance even more.

My machine is not designed to upsample. 6 watts in not enough power to compute properly. I have to do some more research, to fully understand Roon. I think in server mode the upsampling would happen in my office PC that is controlling the core. IF that is the case, then upsamping would be no problem. For me it's not really an issue. I only have PCM 24/192 on my DAC. Hence I like Qobuz.

You know whats really kind of funny. All the fiddling on the digital front end at some point becomes minute improvements. It's damb fine now and hard to make better. I have been offered a large upgrade to my preamp for $2,000. The last time I upgraded the preamp for $700 my jaw hit the floor. It was that big a gain. Why I "F" around with miniscule improvements for $1000 to $2000 and don't get the preamp modded. Sometimes I just don't get myself.
    Well Rex, it sounds like your computer is a whole lot more than a Pinto (remember the Ford Pinto is my default junk car for analogies)... sounds like you have a machine that would be closer to a Ferrari .... not sure what you mean by 6 watts though... I was referring to computer power, CPU, RAM, Mobo, SSD, etc.

I have never seen T+A speakers. They look nice, and I have always enjoyed the couple German speakers I have heard... but no opinion on theirs... except that T+A make fantastic gear...
    Pre & Amplifiers: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2 | Audio Mirror SET 45 | T+A AMP 8

14. Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Seems like a sensitive topic. Not interested in participating with the way it’s going. Keep doing what you’re doing, it’s all good.
    It is just a friendly discussion. No one is being rude or disrespectful to other members. People are simply offering their opinions and experiences.

Enjoy your music and system how it best suits you... that is really all that matters.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast