Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Passlabs or Gryphon Diablo 300 ?

Hello, my current system is Sonus Faber Venere S, Mcintosh MA6700, Schiit Yggdrasil/Chord Qutest. After a year be with this system I found that the Mcintosh MA6700 was lack of punch/impact on the bass and the stage was somehow "flat", I said this because I have recently went to Mcintosh local dealer and listened to the new model of the Mc's integrated amps and separate (C2600, MC275, MC452) and encountered the same problem as my current system. However, when the guy at the store switched to Passlabs XP10 and X350.8 the impact/punch and the soundstage was at a different level (I meant better in both soundstage, punch/impact, micro and macro details in same room, same speaker, same dac). I decided that I would keep my speakers and change the amps and maybe my DAC too. I would like to ask what I should pick for these combos:
    1. Passlabs XP10 + X260.8/XA60.8 (If I pick this combo I wont buy a new Dac within this year)
    2. Chord Dave (as Dac and Pre-amp) + Passlabs X260.8/XA60.8
    3. Gryphon Diablo 300 + Chord Dave
    4. Chord Dave (as Dac and Pre-amp) + Accuphase A47
    I prefer a little more warm on my new Pre/Pow + Dac or Integrated. Home demo is not available in my country. My budget is around $25,000, I would prefer to buy Integrated/Pre-Pow before the Dac and I do search for other combos and opinions. Thank you.

Re: Passlabs or Gryphon Diablo 300 ?

If you like the Pass, that would seem to be the way to go ensurance wise. I'd go with the Pass pre & power.

With that being said, the Diablo with DAC option would be outstanding, I feel it would give even more control and slam without being at all offensive. My audition of Gryphon is limited, heard Pass quite a bit, I'd personally prefer the Gryphon, especially with your speakers. The Diablo DAC option may save some shelf space and money, I'm not able to compare it to Chord since not hearing Chord.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

As a Diablo 300 owner, I second the Gryphon recommendation. Regarding sound stage depth, how far out from the wall are your speakers?

I feel you can’t go really wrong with all options you listed. Even using DAVE as a pre, which you can add a pre later if you want more in that area. Pass probably a safe bet since you’ve heard them and liked them. Diablo 300 is outstanding but different than Pass tonally. I went from Pass separates to Diablo 300 and feel I could live with both long term. One thing though is do make sure the speakers are what you really like first. I feel they might be bottleneck for the gears you’re currently considering.

I already owned Sonus Faber for ten years. Not all SFs seduce me. And I almost can say that they are the most expensive models I least enjoy. In my opinion they won´t fit with valve amplifiers.
    I really like the Venere series. A friend of mine has the Venere 2.5 playing wonderfully with Devialet, so that's my suggestion to you.
    From what I've heard to this day, I do not advise the Gryphon. About PassLabs I have no opinion.

Audioshark

#3. Add a Mojo M Scaler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Mike knows both the 300 and the Pass gear as good as most of us do. I have done extensive listening to many DAC's using the pre out and none have sounded as good as a decent pre. you loose soundstage, slam etc... Many make claims about how great it sounds, but I've yet to speak with anyone I trust who has done the same as I and could live with it. JMHO...

I wish I had been able to hear the Gryphon, but when I had the chance, I was listing to the MSB Select gear. I have known a few folks who have the 300 and LOVE it. One nice thing about the internal DAC board is that when things get better in a few years, you just switch out a DAC board for the new one. I really like upgradable digital.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20
    The Memory Player with built in DAC and headphone amp built in on order
    AQ Niagara 1000 power device
    Audioquest William Tell bi wire speaker cable
    Wireworld 8 optical cable into the Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh from the TV and Blueray to reclock
    Wireworld Platnium 8 ethernet cables into the EMO 70e ethernet filter into The Memory Player from Eero mesh router
    All routers, cable box and synchro mesh powered by the Wyred4sound LPS box with separate supplies for each
    Audioquest power outlets and four dedicated power lines in the room
    ZMF Ori headphones with the Audioarts 15' Pono balanced cable for the QX5/20
    Empire Ears Phantom CIEM's
    Rhapsodio 2.98 mk2 gold plated silver cable for Phantom

Quote Originally Posted by aRui View Post
    Hello, my current system is Sonus Faber Venere S, Mcintosh MA6700, Schiit Yggdrasil/Chord Qutest. After a year be with this system I found that the Mcintosh MA6700 was lack of punch/impact on the bass and the stage was somehow "flat", I said this because I have recently went to Mcintosh local dealer and listened to the new model of the Mc's integrated amps and separate (C2600, MC275, MC452) and encountered the same problem as my current system. However, when the guy at the store switched to Passlabs XP10 and X350.8 the impact/punch and the soundstage was at a different level (I meant better in both soundstage, punch/impact, micro and macro details in same room, same speaker, same dac). I decided that I would keep my speakers and change the amps and maybe my DAC too. I would like to ask what I should pick for these combos:
    1. Passlabs XP10 + X260.8/XA60.8 (If I pick this combo I wont buy a new Dac within this year)
    I prefer a little more warm on my new Pre/Pow + Dac or Integrated. Home demo is not available in my country. My budget is around $25,000, I would prefer to buy Integrated/Pre-Pow before the Dac and I do search for other combos and opinions. Thank you.
    I spent last evening with a friend a/b testing , my pre+ power amp against gryphon300.
    Source was qutest+ n10.
    Cables full loom sablon top of the range.
    Gryphon 300 all the way!
    This amp sing like any other amp i know.
    Just incredible!warm, cohesiveness, dynamic,details,soundstage,decay.
    Everything is there plenty.
    The day before we tried dave, honestly qutest give 90% of dave.
    If you buy gryphon , go with chord dacs , amazing synergy( i guess you know why)
    I think it s no brainer integrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    #3. Add a Mojo M Scaler.
    Doesn't that look interesting...
    Similar to what XXHighend does before sending the data to a Phasure DAC

I play at a much lower level than you do, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt. I was very into audio back in the day but dropped out when raising family and building career. A few years ago I jumped back into this crazy hobby and had to relearn. I have tried a lot of different pieces trying to settle on what I truly love.

Sound stage is very high on my list of what I enjoy. I have tried many SS amps (McIntosh, T+A, SST, W4S, PS Audio, Job (Goldmund), First Watt (Pass), and a few tube amps, ARC, Quicksilver, etc. I have recently switch to Audio Mirror SET mono amps. What you are describing as your preferences sounds very much like tubes to me.

I am currently using my DAC as a preamp. I have tried some options and prefer having a preamp in my system. The inexpensive Audio Mirror pre will be arriving next week.

I have tried over a dozen different DACs (since digital is my main music source) and believe that unless you are going to the super high end.... i.e. MSB, dCS, Lampi, etc., that software and a DAC that can handle it makes a huge difference. After trying Roon/HQPlayer combo upsampling all my music to DSD512 I can never go back. This is why I choose the T+A DAC.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Just to clarify my point.
    In my opinion, Sonus Faber and Gryphon, they are, as someone says, in the dark side of neutrality.
    So I will never put them together.

In case you go the Pass route, you might want to check out their newer preamps. I’ve understood they better the XP10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    Just to clarify my point.
    In my opinion, Sonus Faber and Gryphon, they are, as someone says, in the dark side of neutrality.
    So I will never put them together.
    I concur.
    I will put gryphon with very neutral speaker and beyond to the bright side

Yes, I concur with others that I'd try the less warm amp
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

I am not the SF fan. I used to be, but they have changed. That said, I have plenty of friends who love their new gear. One great pairing is their sister company, Audio Research. Also, the Ayre gear is a great match with them. Plenty of other fast and detailed integrated amps out there for them.

I know some will question me when I say an Audio Research of Aesthetix amps as they are tubes, but tubes are faster than SS devices. It's all in how they are voiced that give them a 'tube' sound or not. The newer tube gear is just very detailed, fast and neutral. Possibly on the warmer side, but not so much that they don't sound great on anything. I have yet to hear either of these brands not sound great in any system I've heard them in. JMHO
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20
    The Memory Player with built in DAC and headphone amp built in on order
    AQ Niagara 1000 power device
    Audioquest William Tell bi wire speaker cable
    Wireworld 8 optical cable into the Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh from the TV and Blueray to reclock
    Wireworld Platnium 8 ethernet cables into the EMO 70e ethernet filter into The Memory Player from Eero mesh router
    All routers, cable box and synchro mesh powered by the Wyred4sound LPS box with separate supplies for each
    Audioquest power outlets and four dedicated power lines in the room
    ZMF Ori headphones with the Audioarts 15' Pono balanced cable for the QX5/20
    Empire Ears Phantom CIEM's
    Rhapsodio 2.98 mk2 gold plated silver cable for Phantom

I signed just to replay

I thinks you should keep the qutest DAC and get Chord M scaler to pair with qutest which should outperform DAVE alone in musicality as per what the designer Rob watt said.

For the amp I think you should get Luxman m900 for around 15K $ which can operate easly under 1 ohm with 1200 watt

And If you asked my why Luxamn, there is a guy who owned many amps and he shared his tries in Audiogon

I signed just to replay

I thinks you should keep the qutest DAC and get Chord M scaler to pair with qutest which should outperform DAVE alone in musicality as per what the designer Rob watt said.

For the amp I think you should get Luxman m900 for around 15K $ which can operate easly under 1 ohm with 1200 watt

And If you asked my why Luxamn, there is a guy who owned many amps and he shared his tries in audiogon

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

As a Chord Dave and Diablo-300 fan/owner I must say they elevate several times over with the Hugo M-Scaler added to Mix.
    My old Pass Int-60 had its own defined house sound while the Diablo has a more neutral, faster resolving sound. Could have been partially due to the much higher horse power of the Diablo though.
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

I like the Luxman M900 suggestion.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

I like the Chord dacs, I think I heard the Dave with their amplifier and a Sonus Faber two years ago which sounded great considering the room, wide but short. Do not remember which one but it was a smaller one. Last year Chord played with Devore which also very nice.

Your amplification problem could also be solved with a pair of Mola Mola Kaluga mono blocks. They will rule almost any speaker with an iron hand and get the speaker and dac sound like they do. Pleanty of change for a dac/pre-amplifier.

Thank you for all the replies so far. I've went to audition systems at the dealer stores of vary brands and got some advises from them. I realized that the route I asked was somehow wrong and I should choose a good pair of speakers instead of buying the gears first. Most dealers also told me that my current integrated amp was good enough to drive most speakers without any problem. I do like the Gryphon set of Diablo 300 + Pantheon because they sound best to me so far but the Pantheon was more than what I'm willing to pay for speakers. I will wait for the Gryphon dealer to restock the MojoS to audition within this month to see if I'd go the full set of Gryphon route

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Passlabs or Gryphon Diablo 300 ?