Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Nyquist MK II DAC

Hey AS’s:

I have had a learning, enjoyable and expensive last few years stepping back into hi end, hi-fi audio to enjoy both the music and the equipment.

So as the journey continues, I recently sold my DAC and Transport and added a Brinkmann Nyquist MK II DAC, and for the time being, using my Oppo 203 as the Transport.

I chose the Brinkmann DAC for a number of reasons, beginning with the warmth of sound coming from a total of 4 tubes supporting analog gain and output stage, the valves are cleverly designed into the heat sink on each side of the component. Also, I like having an outboard power supply. The build quality is no doubt rears German design and engineering, and it’s simplicity of use. The Brinkmann features being a Roon Ready Network Player as well as producing full MQA rendering and supports several streaming services. The only caveats to the Brinkmann IMO is it would be nicer with a larger LCD screen or even a change screen whereas if you selected AES, it would take up the whole screen for 5 seconds and having a power button on the remote.

Also, if I introduce a turntable, Brinkmann is one of my favorites and most likely I will add their phono stage, the Marconi MK II. I have always been in the camp of maintaining the least amount of brands in a system, IMO the synergies are better.

The Nyquist arrived double boxed and well packed to withstand international shipping from Germany eventually landing to the Pacific Northwest, USA.

Rear panel connections include the options to connect modern and legacy systems along with balanced outputs. Setup with the Brinkmann includes a solid slab of polished granite which the DAC sits on. Mechanical isolation is only optional between the bottom of the granite and the platform it rests, so I used some HRS Nimbus pucks laying in storage and repurposed these between a HRS M3X platform and Brinkmann’s granite, more for protection of the HRS platform and aesthetics - I’m unsure if any sound quality was gained here.

Tempting to reverse Brinkmann’s instruction to use only their power cable, I plugged the outboard power supply directly into a Furutech GTX D receptacle, wall plate and the 105D cover, leaving my Nordost and Ansuz power cables sitting jealously on the sidelines wanting in. Brinkmann stresses directly plugging their power cord directly into the wall outlet because its power supply incorporates a proprietary power filter. I found it odd they don’t supply granite for the separate power supply, so I obtained a granite remnant and Ultra SS’d this as part of the power supply setup.

Brinkmann uses Telefunken NOS tubes from the ‘60s designed for hard use in televisions back when this was standard for tv and claim life expectancy better than 10 years. Tubes are used for output stage and the analog gain control.

Built like a Panzer, the DAC includes a see through top showing full display on their approach and quality of craftsmanship to digital to analog conversion. The DAC incorporates modulation to address future updates. While Brinkmann does charge for updates, you are getting a hardware module versus an upgrade on a memory card, my system was sold as the upgraded MKII.

Brinkmann indicates you need a day to let the DAC settle that would add onto the 7 days of powering previously at the factory, while I’m sure their 7 days and the first 24 hours of home time helped, it does need more, a lot more. I now have accumulated about 150 hours, and the range of fullness in sound did not begin to accentuate into its own signature until about 50 hours.

Their play of sound originates from what I understand is in their build. The Nyquist uses the ESS ES9018S Sabre DAC for each channel incorporating 8 separate converters. Brinkmann engineers their own PLL, up-filters and a clock that sits next to the DAC where jitter matters most. The up-filters sample at a rate of 352kHZ or 384kHz, holding separation of the incoming PCM. The component also includes its own independent signal path and data conversion for DSD. The same power supplying the tubes also supplies the DAC chips which Brinkmann claims to improves the sound, and at this point I can only agree.

* The weight and imaging of the pianos keys played by Fazil Say on DeBussey and Satie plays has never sounded better

* Hendrix literally lights up the stage a second time playing “Machine Gun”, Live at the Fillmore East.

* The intro on Chicago’s, “I’m a Man” presents a fantastic presentation of timbre and sustained decays, just amazing.

* Grant Greens ensemble sounds incredible on “Idle Moments” with clear distinction of stage and presence with his hollow body Gibson and other band instruments, it makes you almost want to smoke a cigarette and sip on some bourbon and I don’t smoke.

IMO and from experience, the Brinkmann Nyquist MK II DAC has earned its place amongst the top DAC’s in the world for the benefit of a lower cost of entry. While still steep in price, it is not as crazy as others in this arena for parallel performance.

Adding the component and listening to the Brinkmann really compliments my entire system making all my effort and expense present very well. As I go forward, I can easily sit here for hours on end ignoring other responsibilities, and in the event of guests, I would not want to stand up in front of them without being slightly embarrassed.

I can now finally rest for a bit.

Pros: Tube sound, Size, Build Quality, MQA/Roon, Streaming Services

Cons: Small LCD screen, and no power button on the remote, but no way a deal killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Re: Nyquist MK II DAC

Great write-up!
    Digital: Innuos Zenith Mk3 Server + MSB Premier DAC with Powerbase
    Amp: Gryphon Pandora + Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo
    Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables
    Power: AQ Niagara 5000 + AQ Tornado power cables
    Headphones (travel): Sennheiser Momentum + Chord Mojo

Nyquist MK II DAC

Congrats UltraFast to your new toy! Thank you for sharing your impressions. It is the most exciting looking and most fully featured DAC I am aware of, great choice.

In the sense of the word, I have heard it’s a great product Nyquist MK II DAC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

very nice write up. the nyquist is quite an impressive piece of gear... very tempting.

btw: beautiful listening room... complete with a stratocaster and les paul !
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | air tight atc-5 + atm-300r | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + kanjiroba diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Audioshark

Congrats! Beautiful room too.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Congrats. The Brinkmann is one of the best DAC's you can get. They really are highly musical.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20
    The Memory Player with built in DAC and headphone amp built in on order
    AQ Niagara 1000 power device
    Audioquest William Tell bi wire speaker cable
    Wireworld 8 optical cable into the Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh from the TV and Blueray to reclock
    Wireworld Platnium 8 ethernet cables into the EMO 70e ethernet filter into The Memory Player from Eero mesh router
    All routers, cable box and synchro mesh powered by the Wyred4sound LPS box with separate supplies for each
    Audioquest power outlets and four dedicated power lines in the room
    ZMF Ori headphones with the Audioarts 15' Pono balanced cable for the QX5/20
    Empire Ears Phantom CIEM's
    Rhapsodio 2.98 mk2 gold plated silver cable for Phantom

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Congrats UltraFast to your new toy! Thank you for sharing your impressions. It is the most exciting looking and most fully featured DAC I am aware of, great choice.

In the sense of the word, I have heard it’s a great product Nyquist MK II DAC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I did swap the Brinkmann power cable with the Nordost Valhalla 2 yesterday morning, and put the Brinkmann back in last night.

The sound changed so much through the entire range I could not take it. This power cable was bunt in on an amplifier and maybe it needed time to readjust, but IMO Helmut Brinkmann is right, use his power cable - life is too short!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

I've head it with the Audioquest Dragon at a local shop. Honestly, I felt that it made it more dynamic while keeping it's musicality. I would just recommend for go audition for themselves as they may like a different cord, or again maybe not. quick and easy to audition.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20
    Wireworld 8 optical cable into the Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh from the TV and Blueray to reclock
    Wireworld Platnium 8 ethernet cables into the EMO 70e ethernet filter into The Memory Player from Eero mesh router
    All routers, cable box and synchro mesh powered by the Wyred4sound LPS box with separate supplies for each

i had the pleasure of listening to this dac in a full FM Acoustics rig with Zellaton speakers. All the equipment was new to me so I wasn't sure what was doing what but WOW - one of the best listens I've ever had. Reading your review, I'm starting to think the Brinkmann was playing a big role in what I call "relaxed resolution". I need to check this dac out ASAP.

also, to echo the comments above: that is a beautiful set up. I hope one day my room can look as neat and clean

guys, I have no skin in the game other than owning one, but the Laufer Teknik DAC will be as good or better. Two box solution. Mine is prototype as I stated above and it already sounds better than the Chord Dave and Ayre QX5/20 (I just sold mine and it's outstanding also). You can customize it with whatever caps you want etc.. It's a tubed DAC that is fully balanced. If you want to get in touch with Sam Laufer, let me know. Lot's of great options right now.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20

Quote Originally Posted by Ctsooner View Post
    guys, I have no skin in the game other than owning one, but the Laufer Teknik DAC will be as good or better. Two box solution. Mine is prototype as I stated above and it already sounds better than the Chord Dave and Ayre QX5/20 (I just sold mine and it's outstanding also). You can customize it with whatever caps you want etc.. It's a tubed DAC that is fully balanced. If you want to get in touch with Sam Laufer, let me know. Lot's of great options right now.
    I wasn’t clear, are you saying you own a Brinkmann, if so, MK I or II? Also, what did you just sell?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

LOL...sorry, that's the MS. I just sold my Ayre QX5/20 DAC. I have extensive auditioning with the Nyquist and also the mk2. Wonderful products that I would probably own if I didn't go with the Laufer Teknik DAC that I currently own in prototype form. Mark and Sam are making a major upgrade already by making it a two box unit and upgrading many of the components. Mark is a genius (literally) and has a great ear for audio. His software is ground breaking stuff (in his server). feel free to read up on it on their website.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Nyquist MK II DAC