FirstWatt SIT-3 - Page 4
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: FirstWatt SIT-3

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FirstWatt SIT-3

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    MudslideSlim

The Reynaud Offrande is a great speaker and your V2's are the 7th version. I owned the 4th version for five years. It is the one Bob Neill reviewed for Enjoy the Music back in 2002. I had them in a 15'x19'x10' room high passed to a pair of Vandersteen subs at 80hz. Even with the burden of the bass regions removed from the main amp the lowest powered amp I ever felt comfortable with was the Music Reference RM-10 at 35 wpc. So unless you are in a much smaller room or listen at "background music" levels I am not sure the SIT-3 is going to be enough to suit you in the end. If you haven't you might want to talk to Bob at Amherst Audio about amp matching with the Offrandes. He personally had a pair for over 15 years and may still have his even though they were discontinued last year. He favored driving them with hybrid's if I remember correctly probably Blue Circle and also Audiomat. I have their "little brother" the Twin Signature in my Office system and drive them either with the RM-10 or a Kora hybrid integrated.

Also don't know when Jean Claude started listing them a 8 ohm speakers as they and most all of his father's designs were 4 ohm speakers.
    Yes, the Offrandes do indeed make for great listening. Sadly they have been discontinued and the current version is the last.

I am actually driving them with a 10 watt per channel tube integrated at the moment with fine results. My room is fairly small, 13' x 20' or so, and I listen at low to medium levels. However, I am pretty sure my little 10 watt DIMD PP10 has more than 11.5 db of gain. Hence my curiosity about what pre-amps to look at.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    If your speakers have an 8 ohm impedance, then to bring that down to an effective 4 ohm load would require using an 8 ohm resistor in parallel with each speaker. (The formula for parallel resistances is to multiply their resistances and then divide the result by their sum, so for this example: (8 * 8) / (8 + 8) which is 64/16 giving you a net 4 ohm load.) While the amp would then deliver its 4 ohm power rating, half of that would be going through the resistor and not to the speaker. So in addition to taking into consideration whether the amp may sound better driving an 8 or 4 ohm load , you would only get 15W of the total 30 available to the speaker.
    Thanks for the explanation. Not an option then.

Post Thanks / Like

In his 6Moons review of the SIT-3, Srajen easily drove the the amp with the STP-SE into a much larger room as did Joe so I don't think you would have an issue. I have owned an STP-SE for over five years and not encountered an amp it wouldn't drive and never come close to engaging the active section.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Nuprime CDT-8, Teac Reference NT-505, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II, BHK Preamp with BHK 250 amp or Kinki EX-M1, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Dueland IC's, Triode Wire Labs SC & PC's, Equi=Core 1800, PI Audio Uberbuss, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, W4S Recovery with iPower, Nuprime DAC-10, Mivera Purepower, Nola KO's, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Audio Sensibility SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

4. Thanks MudslideSlim thanked for this post
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Iím running the SIT-3 with the VAC Master Preamp and itís just incredible. This amp is like none other. It doesnít sound tube or solid state.

I tried it with the ARC REF6 and it was a mismatch. Normally, ARC Preamps with Pass amps are great. But this was not ideal.

So, I think the preamp matching with this amp is key.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

6. Thanks MudslideSlim thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,
    Any idea why it did not work well with the ARC preamp?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I’m running the SIT-3 with the VAC Master Preamp and it’s just incredible. This amp is like none other. It doesn’t sound tube or solid state.

I tried it with the ARC REF6 and it was a mismatch. Normally, ARC Preamps with Pass amps are great. But this was not ideal.

So, I think the preamp matching with this amp is key.

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apdoc2004 View Post
    Mike,
    Any idea why it did not work well with the ARC preamp?
    Impedance mismatch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Impedance mismatch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike,
    Thanks for the explanation. In your opinion, apart from the Avantgarde speakers, are there any other speakers that would be an ideal match for the SIT 3 amp?

Post Thanks / Like

Tannoy, Coherent Audio, Omega.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Nuprime CDT-8, Teac Reference NT-505, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II, BHK Preamp with BHK 250 amp or Kinki EX-M1, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Dueland IC's, Triode Wire Labs SC & PC's, Equi=Core 1800, PI Audio Uberbuss, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, W4S Recovery with iPower, Nuprime DAC-10, Mivera Purepower, Nola KO's, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Audio Sensibility SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

11. Likes joeinid liked this post

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4