DIY Power Cords - Page 3
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: DIY Power Cords

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY Power Cords

Neither is he an engineer.
    Everything in his design is troublesome. There is nothing correct, good or safe in it.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you ever answer a question directly on any of the forums you visit?
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Nuprime CDT-8, Teac Reference NT-505, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II, BHK Preamp with BHK 250 amp or Kinki EX-M1, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Dueland IC's, Triode Wire Labs SC & PC's, Equi=Core 1800, PI Audio Uberbuss, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, W4S Recovery with iPower, Nuprime DAC-10, Mivera Purepower, Nola KO's, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Audio Sensibility SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Post Thanks / Like

Well I certainly havent received an answer... another internet expert?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dznutz View Post
    Well I certainly havent received an answer... another internet expert?
    So current thought goes like this.
    Let's say that the shield picks up some RFI. Where would you like to send it? Back to the electrical panel ground (earth) (shield grounded at wall plug) or to the piece of equipment (shield grounded to the IEC, /equipment).
    Some don't believe in shields at all. Some shield one way or the other or both.
    Many ideas, thoughts and beliefs.
    You get to pick which one you want to follow.
    My System:
    A trusty old Pioneer PD-65 as a Transport, A MicroRendui, a Merrill Heirloom T.T. as sources. A Lampizator DAC to PAD Cables to a SP-14 Tubed PreAmp, Coincident Frankenstein 300B monoblocks, & or Valvet E-2, Fusion speaker cables, AudioKinesis Zephryn 46 Speakers. pair Rythmik F-12 subs, EP2050, DCCA Furutech and Kaplan Power cables, APC power conditioner, Two dedicated 20Amp power lines. DIY corner traps and Acoustic Geometry Curves for room treatment.

Post Thanks / Like

Dznutz-

I made some power cables with braided shielding. The manufacturer of the cable recommended attaching the shield to the ground wire on the wall socket side. I seem to remember the reason being similar to what jadedavid mentioned "sending it back." He also astutely alluded to the fact that highly regarded cables may or may not have shielding.

A DIYer like myself hopes to save some cash but my tinker mentality enjoys the hunt.
    McIntosh C-1100, MC 75's, MC 275 (lows), MR 85, MCD 205.
    Legacy Focus SE's. VPI Classic 1 w/ Denon 103R. Bryston BDP-3 & BDA-3.

Post Thanks / Like

To me, always with shield. But put it at some distance from the cable and grounded at wall plug ...

Post Thanks / Like

Even if the shield is not grounded on either end... it should still provide protection from RFI and from the power cable itself effecting nearby audio cables should it not?

Post Thanks / Like

The short answer to your question is yes to a diminished degree.
    Why don't you just try it and let us know your results?
    My System:
    A trusty old Pioneer PD-65 as a Transport, A MicroRendui, a Merrill Heirloom T.T. as sources. A Lampizator DAC to PAD Cables to a SP-14 Tubed PreAmp, Coincident Frankenstein 300B monoblocks, & or Valvet E-2, Fusion speaker cables, AudioKinesis Zephryn 46 Speakers. pair Rythmik F-12 subs, EP2050, DCCA Furutech and Kaplan Power cables, APC power conditioner, Two dedicated 20Amp power lines. DIY corner traps and Acoustic Geometry Curves for room treatment.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3