Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Magico M2

Audioshark

Magico M2

MAGICO M2

State of the Art Loudspeaker, Floor standing, 3-way (Four Driver) Design

HAYWARD, CA (USA) – December 7, 2018 – Magico, the Leader in High-Performance Loudspeaker Design and Manufacture, is pleased to announce the M2 which expands the M-Series product lineup and features many ground-breaking engineering designs distilled from the M6 and M3.
    Our materials science research in the properties and applications of carbon allows the M2 to feature a new monocoque enclosure. Similar in construction technique introduced in the M6, it is formed using multiple layers of carbon fiber adding up to a 3/8” thickness. Similar to the external shell of an F-35 fighter jet, this enclosure construction compared to machined or extruded aluminum parts increases the structural strength-to-weight ratio by a factor of 60, while reducing overall weight by 50% and yielding outer dimensions that are 30% smaller without compromising internal volume. The curved interior and exterior walls minimize internal standing waves and eliminate external diffractions.
    The M2 incorporates a 28-mm Diamond coated Beryllium dome tweeter with optimized geometry. The Diamond coating on the Beryllium dome increases the stiffness without adding the extra weight of a pure Diamond dome and offers a near perfect stiffness to weight ratio that is unmatched in the industry. This revolutionary tweeter design provides extra-long excursion movement and uses a customized neodymium- based motor system that matches the sensitivity and power handling capabilities of the M2 while maintaining ultra-wide dispersion characteristics and ultra-low distortion measurements.
    Magico M2 2018 Magico LLC Page 1 of 3

Magico is the world’s first audio product manufacturer to utilize graphene in the development of a radically new and advanced loudspeaker cone design. Graphene has many extraordinary properties and is rated to be 100 times stronger than the strongest steel. The newly designed Magico six-inch midrange driver and seven- inch bass driver cones found in the M2 are both manufactured using Multi-Wall carbon XG Nanographene with a new ultra-stiff proprietary carbon weave which is 20% lighter and 300% stiffer than cone materials used in previous Magico product offerings. The midrange driver features an underhung neodymium-based motor system that uses two extra-large magnets which provide an ultra-stabilized magnetic field for the pure Titanium voice coil to operate within. This radical new driver design sets a new industry benchmark for performance and the minimization of total harmonic distortion.
    A purpose built sub-enclosure formed of a proprietary polymer houses the midrange driver to optimize the control and articulation of mid-band frequencies and provides protection from the massive back wave pressure of the bass drivers. Midrange sub-enclosures using different shapes, sizes and materials have been implemented throughout the history of Magico 3-way loudspeaker designs.
    The dual bass drivers in the M2 are vertically aligned to achieve ideal room integration and reproduce the lowest registers of bass frequency with speed and accuracy. Combined, the bass drivers are optimized for minimal music related distortions in the frequency and time domain using the latest state-of-the-art FEA simulation of acoustics, mechanics, electromagnetic and thermal behavior. The testing process is now completed on a single platform allowing optimization levels to be taken to a higher level.
    An internal three-axis matrix framework along with three tension rods running front to back internally, contribute to an extremely rigid enclosure which eliminates unwanted resonances and colorations, allowing all drivers to perform with stunning resolution and dynamics. All four drivers in the M2 are acoustically integrated using Magico’s exclusive Elliptical Symmetry Crossover topology that includes state-of-the-art components from Mundorf of Germany. The MPOD 3-Pt stand contributes to the overall sonic performance by converting mechanical energy to heat through the science of constrained layer damping, while providing ideal coupling to the floor.
    Magico M2 2018 Magico LLC Page 2 of 3

Magico M2
    State of the Art Loudspeaker, Floor standing, 3-way (Four Driver) Design
    Driver Complement
    1” MBD5D Tweeter (x1)
    6” MAG60004RTC Graphene Nano-Tec Midrange (x1)
    7” MAG70008RT Graphene Nano-Tec Bass (x2)

- Sensitivity: 88dB
    - Impedance: 4 Ohms
    - Frequency Response: 26 Hz – 50 kHz
    - Recommended Power: Minimum 50W rms
    - Dimensions: 18” x 17.5” x 45” (w/ MPod Stand)
    - Weight: 165 lbs. (w/ MPod Stand)
    - Price M2: SRP US $ 56,000 /pair
    - PriceM2 MPOD 3-Pt Stand: SRP US $ 7,600 /pair (optional)
    - Ship date: 1st Quarter 2019

Magico was created over a decade ago for the sole purpose of leading a no holds-barred assault on what is possible in contemporary loudspeaker design. Inspired by the unique vision of Industrial designer and accomplished musician Alon Wolf, every Magico product is designed against the true standard of perfect audio reproduction – live music. At Magico, we strive to lead in the creation, development, and manufacture of the most elegant and technologically advanced loudspeaker systems in the world. Each product expresses our passion to craft uncompromising devices that reveal the music as never before.
    For more information please contact Peter Mackay, V.P. Global Sales and Marketing at Magico LLC. Telephone: 1-510-649-9700, Ext 104, E-mail: peter@magico.net, or, visit us at www.magico.net
    Magico M2 2018 Magico LLC Page 3 of 3
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Magico M2

Thanks Mike.

Would be fascinating to compare to the S3 Mk2s. My guess looking at the specs (acknowledging they are only specs) is that the M2’s bass will not be quite as deep, although may be a little more refined. So probably not an option for me - I still have my eyes set on the M3s.
    Digital: Innuos Zenith Mk3 Server + MSB Premier DAC with Powerbase
    Amp: Gryphon Pandora + Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo
    Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables
    Power: AQ Niagara 5000 + AQ Tornado power cables
    Headphones (travel): Sennheiser Momentum + Chord Mojo

Another great Magico design.

I just wish they could figure a way to get their newest additions to be more sensitive, say 94-96 db while keeping their sonic signature.

That would make their speakers even more amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsrule View Post

I just wish they could figure a way to get their newest additions to be more sensitive, say 94-96 db while keeping their sonic signature.

completely agree - they managed to do something special with the q7 there. my guess is that its probably a very expensive proposition and hard to meet at lower price points? i've heard magico's play nicely with SETs but they certainly open up with high power ss but the thought of a very efficient magico, soulution pre, and maybe some absolare SET monos or even a line mag SET is very enticing!

Magico M2

Great design, I do like the M2 shape. But I’m with Andrew, too close to S3 mk2 specs. And in some areas below.

I think adding the 9” woofers to the S3 mk2 was a good move from Alon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

I guess the crossovers used do not allow for that.
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

Can solve with a kick-ass amp, right?
    Digital: Innuos Zenith Mk3 Server + MSB Premier DAC with Powerbase
    Amp: Gryphon Pandora + Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo
    Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables
    Power: AQ Niagara 5000 + AQ Tornado power cables
    Headphones (travel): Sennheiser Momentum + Chord Mojo

Another beautifully designed speaker from Magico. I want them.... they would be perfect in my space! Let’s see.....I have a rectangular room.....could put M2s on one end and Avantgardes uno finos on the other. All I need is a 180 degree swiveling audio easy chair.
    Dang why couldn’t I have been born filthy rich instead of so good looking?
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Completely agree. It would open up amp choices too.
    Link to my system thread: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...l-sound.32867/
    Analog: Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, 2 NOS SME 3012R tonearms, 2 vdH Colibri Grand Cru, Colibri XPP
    Electronics: Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe, Lamm LL1.1 Signature, Lamm ML2
    Speakers: Vitavox CN-191 corner horns
    Cables: Stock SME phono cables, DIY ICs and speaker cables, Ching Cheng power cords, custom rack and amp stands

Quote Originally Posted by Skanda View Post
    completely agree - they managed to do something special with the q7 there. my guess is that its probably a very expensive proposition and hard to meet at lower price points? i've heard magico's play nicely with SETs but they certainly open up with high power ss but the thought of a very efficient magico, soulution pre, and maybe some absolare SET monos or even a line mag SET is very enticing!
    It is simple physics. A speaker can’t be small, go low (and sealed), and efficient. Something got to give. No amount of money in the world will change that equation.

Gorgeous! Prettiest Magico girl.

Looks great!!!!!

Hmmmmmm
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    Thanks Mike.

Would be fascinating to compare to the S3 Mk2s. My guess looking at the specs (acknowledging they are only specs) is that the M2’s bass will not be quite as deep, although may be a little more refined. So probably not an option for me - I still have my eyes set on the M3s.
    What kind of music are you listening? It seems that Madfloyd and Elboreth felt that the bass of S series had more slam than M3.

I'm surprised in the weight difference between M2 and M3.

They learned from the M3 to M6. The M2 uses that learning curve.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Great. What did they learn? Use lighter material? Use less material? Something else?
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

they do

https://magico.net/product/ultimate.php

Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Great. What did they learn? Use lighter material? Use less material? Something else?
    Hi Bud,

They learned to make the cabinet using monocoque construction, which is stronger, more rigid, lighter and takes up less space than the internal metal skeleton of the M3.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    I said newest additions....

I said newest additions....
    you are expecting a lot from sealed boxes - won't happen.
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    you are expecting a lot from sealed boxes - won't happen.
    Let's be real clear here. Please actually read my post

I'm not "expecting" anything

That's should be relatively easy - power the base drivers separately
    Ideally use an inbuilt amp (D Class - shock - horror) & fix the xover point at optimum
    Design a 2 way minimalist crossover & Mike's your uncle
    NOTE all subject to the current xover points used - data not available to mere mortals

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Hi Bud,

They learned to make the cabinet using monocoque construction, which is stronger, more rigid, lighter and takes up less space than the internal metal skeleton of the M3.

Best,
    Ken
    +1

The enclosure design is much more advanced than the M3. M3 is a bit like the Q3 is disguise - built from aluminium panels with carbon fibre 'skins' on both sides (if you take out the M3 drivers, you would see that the inside of the speaker is all aluminium, although AFAIK the side walls are no loger parallel, which is an advancement over the Q series) to make it look nice and help the dispersion.

The M6 on the other hand, is a completely different design. There are no aluminium sidewalls. The whole carbon fibre enclosure is now a monocock, acting as an enclosure with curved walls (so now if you take out the M6 drivers, you would see that the inside of the speaker is all carbon fibre, with curved walls).

M2 is basicly build using the very same technology as the M6. Getting rid of aluminium sidewalls and the accompaning aluminium skeleton, makes the speaker lighter.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

I’m listening to the sealed cabinet Magico M6’s at this very moment. I am hearing some of the finest bass I’ve ever experienced in terms of impact, texture and articulation.

Ken
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Repeat post.

I’m listening to the sealed cabinet Magico M6’s at this very moment. I am hearing some of the finest bass I’ve ever experienced in terms of impact, texture and articulation.

Ken
    For $160k or whatever, I’d hope so.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Ken
    The M6 is a wonderful speaker. Heard it in Munich and was impressed.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    +1

The enclosure design is much more advanced than the M3. M3 is a bit like the Q3 is disguise - built from aluminium panels with carbon fibre 'skins' on both sides (if you take out the M3 drivers, you would see that the inside of the speaker is all aluminium, although AFAIK the side walls are no loger parallel, which is an advancement over the Q series) to make it look nice and help the dispersion.

The M6 on the other hand, is a completely different design. There are no aluminium sidewalls. The whole carbon fibre enclosure is now a monocock, acting as an enclosure with curved walls (so now if you take out the M6 drivers, you would see that the inside of the speaker is all carbon fibre, with curved walls).

M2 is basicly build using the very same technology as the M6. Getting rid of aluminium sidewalls and the accompaning aluminium skeleton, makes the speaker lighter.
    Sounds like there is an M3 mk2 in the works Magico M2.

Wow weighs about 10 pounds less than the S3Mk2s.......nice!
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

If they can rip out all that machined aluminium in a M3Mk2 perhaps there will be a significant price drop? Here I am, just taken delivery of the last speaker I need ever buy and already there is talk of its replacement (and which might be much lighter and cheaper).

Quote Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
    If they can rip out all that machined aluminium in a M3Mk2 perhaps there will be a significant price drop? Here I am, just taken delivery of the last speaker I need ever buy and already there is talk of its replacement (and which might be much lighter and cheaper).
    I wouldn't be holding my breath...

So you think we'll see an M1 before we see a M3Mk2? The M2 no doubt has opened up opportunities to make the M3 better.

Carbon fibre monocoque is much more expensive to manufacture than the enclosure made from extruded aluminium (or any aluminium for that matter).
    Adam

So you think we'll see an M1 before we see a M3Mk2? The M2 no doubt has opened up opportunities to make the M3 better.
    I was referring to your comment "perhaps there will be a significant price drop"​ which - to be honest - I found amusing.

It's expensive to machine and assemble that aluminium internal skeleton. I don't know about CF manufacturing costs, but I would think the CF in a M2/6 design wouldn't cost much more to build than what the side panels in M3 cost. So if their build price comes down, maybe MSRP of the Mk2 will come down also.

Started early 2016 and now we almost have 2019. It may be a few months short from beeing 3 years old, but far cry from the 1 year old you have claimed.
    Adam

It's expensive to machine and assemble that aluminium internal skeleton. I don't know about CF manufacturing costs, but I would think the CF in a M2/6 design wouldn't cost much more to build than what the side panels in M3 cost. So if their build price comes down, maybe MSRP of the Mk2 will come down also.
    You are wrong.
    Adam

Carbon fibre monocoque is much more expensive to manufacture than the enclosure made from extruded aluminium (or any aluminium for that matter).
    Is it more expensive because the carbon fiber sides need to be thicker to support the tension of the monocoque design?

Ken

The absolute cost in the extra materials (resin and CF fabric) needed to build a thicker panel wouldn't be all that much....the cost is in building the molds and polishing the finished panels, which I'd think would be much the same for M3 and M3Mk2 panels.

FYI, the CF monocoque is manufactured by a Canadian company called Apex Composite.

IMO we will sooner see the S7 mk2.....
    Not to sidetrack the thread, but when the S7 was released I was invited to Magico for a demo. Magico has a very quiet listening room, and when you close the door it really is sonically isolated. So, Alon was switching between the S5 and the S7, and I commented on the S5, “This sounds just like my S5.” Alon replies, “That’s the point.” LOL.

The point I was trying to make is my S5 is in the living room, not an isolated, dedicated listening room.

Anyway, the S7 was a little better, but not enough to justify the price difference with the S5. However, a V2 version might be a worthwhile final speaker upgrade.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Priaptor View Post
    Well it hasn't been replaced yet so the argument of months is moot. However, the release of the M3 pretty soon after the ultra special and unique and limited edition M Project pretty much demonstrates my point more accurately.

In any case, I really would like to see Magico release a M1. That would be an interesting speaker to me; I gave the Q1 a 3 month shot but ultimately it wasn't for me and I sold it. An M1 would be interesting.
    Priaptor, what didn't you like about the Q1 and what amps did you use?
    Analog: Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, 2 NOS SME 3012R tonearms, 2 vdH Colibri Grand Cru, Colibri XPP
    Cables: Stock SME phono cables, DIY ICs and speaker cables, Ching Cheng power cords, custom rack and amp stands

I never trashed the Q1. I paid big bucks for the Q1 and Constellation amp and was lucky enough not to loose money when I sold them 3 months later given the press they were receiving at the time. I thought the bass was outstanding for a “monitor” but didn’t like its imaging which was flat and 2 dimensional despite what I felt was as accurate timbre of any monitor speakers available at the time. They didn’t move me as much as my big system at the time and my big system which consisted of NOLA Baby Grands and ARC REF250s I felt were better “monitors” so I moved on. The M series with the new drivers have expanded on what the Q was capable of in terms of imaging.
    It seems that you did not like the imaging of the Q1. Properly set up, I would have assumed they were at least as good as my old Mini 2s, because they were even smaller. Perhaps the flat side walls hurt the imaging. But my experience with the Q3 is completely different. They disappear and image as well as or better than my Mini 2s which were excellent in those regards. I continue to marvel at how completely the Q3s disappear from the room, and their imaging is superb. The Ms, with their curved sides and top, may be even better.

Back to the M2 thread, already in progress...

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Audioshark

Ok, in the spirit of Christmas, let’s just all try to get along. I’ve cleaned up all the threads because I feel the name calling had really gotten out of hand.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Ok, in the spirit of Christmas, let’s just all try to get along. I’ve cleaned up all the threads because I feel the name calling had really gotten out of hand.
    Thank you.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

The same for you.
    I feel the attacks you have received.
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Thank you.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.
    Lucky You.....

Meaning???

I no longer see my posts which questioned Howie about his thoughts on the Q1 and the quality of imaging he heard. It seems that this was one of the specific reasons he does not own Magico speakers. Those posts must have been considered off-topic.

Regarding the new M series of speakers, I think much of their shape is precisely about helping the speakers to disappear. Howie made a distinction between disappearing and imaging. What is it about a speaker's design that affects the quality of the images it conveys? I always thought it had something to do with placement in the room, but it must also have something to do with the speaker itself. With these M speakers, Magico seems to be paying a lot of attention to shape. An owner of both the S5 and S5 mk2 told me that the curved top plate really improved the sense of image height in his system.

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Magico M2