Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Magico M2

Re: Magico M2

Congratulations on your M2s. Sometimes going with your gut is the right path. I bought the A3s having never heard any of the Magico line in person. I enjoy them everyday. I'm sure the M2s will do the same for you. And you have a history with the Magico line.
    Speakers: Magico S3 (23')
    Integrated:Gryphon Diablo 300 plus DAC
    Streamer: HiFi Rose RS150b
    CD/DVD: Oppo 205
    Cables: Cardas-Shunyata-AudioQuest-Supra
    Roon Core: sonicTransporter i7 powered with HDPlex 200w linear PS, running AudioLinux for Roon--Tidal and Qobuz with iPad Pro

Time is just a tool humans created to measure movement and record events

Congrats Jock on those wonderful speakers! I am loving my S3Mk2’s and can only imagine that the M2’s must be really really special to unseat them. The club admission price is the only think keeping me from them. Enjoy in good health!
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    ... know - audiophile logic - stupid stupid stupid. Buying a $63,000 (w M-pods) speaker with NOBODY ever listening to it - other than Magico itself of course, well its just foolish..
    I bought ACC, S3, S-Sub, Q3 and M3 without seeing or hearing any of them.

Congrats Jock! I agree, the M2s are terrific. Was very impressed with them at Axpona. Enjoy!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Cool Re: Magico M2

We also just recently got our Magico M2 speakers in and they sound absolutely amazing. Some photos: https://imgur.com/gallery/wWVDkXq. Driven by Devialet Expert Pro 440 by default, Lumin X1 + AMP as a secondary setup. Dirac Live in the mix when used with the Devialet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

Very cool to hear and I'm glad you're really enjoying them!

I did get to home audition my A3's, and I'm very much enjoying the Magico sound. My local dealer (Goodwins) did an M3 demo a couple of weekends ago but I missed it. I'll arrange a listen to the M3's and M2's at some point, but given priorities I'm planning on being happy with the A3's And besides, I know from experience that hearing speakers there is not like hearing them in my home. And those M's are too big and heavy to just borrow for a couple of days.

But I really look forward to seeing and hearing the M2's and maybe an M2 vs S3mkii play-off.
    Sources: Naim ND555/555PS | Roon Nucleus | Naim Soltstice Special Edition turntable and phono stage
    Amplification: Naim 552/500DR
    Interconnects: Ansuz/Chord Music/Naim SuperLumina
    AC Power: Ansuz C2
    Speakers: Magico S5MkII

Quote Originally Posted by Bart001 View Post

But I really look forward to seeing and hearing the M2's and maybe an M2 vs S3mkii play-off.
    I stopped by Goodwin's a couple years back (my parents live in Belmont and so I go back often) to listen to the m3 and s3mk2. now my hope was that the m3 would be better but not by so much...praying for diminishing returns haha.

Well, it wasn't a totally fair comparison as the m3 was in their big room and the s3mk2 was in their little room, which is actually closer to what my room would be like. the s3mk2 was great - really great, but i walked away thinking not only was the m3 better...but worth the price difference.

just sharing my experience, i'd love to read an m2 - s3mk2 comparison. i ended up with an s5mk2 so would love to read some comparisons there too. outside of magico, the yg hailey 2.2 and sonja 2.2 would make for good comparison speakers. when i listened to yg's (before buying magicos) i thought they were excellent but that magico actually provided more bang for buck, which i know is a crazy statement given the prices.

i recently listened to some rockports and while very nice, especially at the price points, i find it very hard to go back to ported bass...it just sounds a little heavy and i worry about the room interactions more.

last item to end this meandering rant...reading about the m2 construction, i am hard pressed to pick a speaker that might deliver as much pride of ownership from an engineering standpoint - graphene and carbon fiber monocoque. wowwww

Quote Originally Posted by Skanda View Post
    last item to end this meandering rant...reading about the m2 construction, i am hard pressed to pick a speaker that might deliver as much pride of ownership from an engineering standpoint - graphene and carbon fiber monocoque. wowwww
    Interestingly, my non-hi-fi-fanatic friends are quite impressed by the aluminum A3's. To the eye, and to the touch, that THICK aluminum cabinet is pretty impressive. But you're right, and in terms of owning an amazing piece of engineering and industrial design and aesthetics, the M2's provide "value" far and above what merely hits your ears. (I'm a HUGE fan of industrial design done well, and this is one reason why I got drawn to Magico.)
    Sources: Naim ND555/555PS | Roon Nucleus | Naim Soltstice Special Edition turntable and phono stage

Interestingly, my non-hi-fi-fanatic friends are quite impressed by the aluminum A3's. To the eye, and to the touch, that THICK aluminum cabinet is pretty impressive. But you're right, and in terms of owning an amazing piece of engineering and industrial design and aesthetics, the M2's provide "value" far and above what merely hits your ears. (I'm a HUGE fan of industrial design done well, and this is one reason why I got drawn to Magico.)
    yeah i should clarify that all magico's have a great pride of ownership and as a friend said seeing mine: "i see where the money went"

my point on the m2 was regarding other speakers in that price range and higher. without starting a flame war, this is one of the reasons ive avoided owning wilsons or even earlier ygs. not saying they dont sound good, but they just don't get me geeking out over the build.

I continue to marvel at the build quality of my old Magico Mini 2s and my current Q3s. I prefer Q3's anodized finish over some of the gloss paints and M cast finishes. There is a high rejection rate, apparently, and it is a very expensive process. YMMV. I do like the curves of the M series. I agree, great industrial design.
    Link to my system thread: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...l-sound.32867/
    Analog: Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, 2 NOS SME 3012R tonearms, 2 vdH Colibri Grand Cru, Colibri XPP
    Electronics: Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe, Lamm LL1.1 Signature, Lamm ML2
    Speakers: Vitavox CN-191 corner horns
    Cables: Stock SME phono cables, DIY ICs and speaker cables, Ching Cheng power cords, custom rack and amp stands

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    .. I prefer Q3's anodized finish over some of the gloss paints and M cast finishes. There is a high rejection rate, apparently, and it is a very expensive process....
    Not just in the Magico, but anodizing generally. Halcro was throwing away so much anodized metal that wasn't quite perfect, which was costing them a fortune for nothing, they ended up changing to automotive grade paint.

Interesting conversation regarding design and esthetics...

I changed from MProjects to M6's primarily because the M6's look so awesome to my eye.

Both speakers sound amazing but the M6 design is perfect for me.

Hi all,

I heard for the first time the M2 last week and needless to say I was really amazed by them. This was however a first (and short) listening session not really planned on top of that.
    More “serious“ listening sessions are now ahead of me...
    As I am not a Magico “expert” and there must be plenty in this thread !! ,are the Magico speakers (and more specifically the M2) directive speakers or the opposite ? ( in my difficult room , controlled directivity would be a + )

Thanks
    Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, we put the M2 into place where the S5 MkII speakers were previously. A simple test was to turn the volume all the way up and to feel by hand how much the enclosure vibrated. With the S5 MkII you could easily feel vibrations in the enclosure, but with the M2 there was very, very little vibration. In terms of sound quality, I would pick the M2 over the S5 MkII, knowing that the M2 low-frequencies roll off a little sooner.

With respect to your question about off-axis response, Alex, all of the measurements and my own personal experience has been that Magico speakers are not designed to be very directional.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

Were you playing music with the volume all the way up? I broke both of my S5s playing them really, really loud. I hope the M2 is better.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Were you playing music with the volume all the way up? I broke both of my S5s playing them really, really loud. I hope the M2 is better.
    Well, I turned the volume up to +0dB which is the max before the electronics may introduce distortion, but that was not the absolute loudest I could have done if I tried to destroy the electronics or the speakers. :p I could have sent it a clipped 0dBFS audio signal with the gain at something like +16dB which would have been super bad. Also would not have been music.
    Neko Audio

That is why the Pass/Magico gear impresses me. Even at an unrealistic volume, the sound still sounded great. I was going to back off once the speakers started to distort, but that never occurred. While it cost to get the speakers fixed, both Pass and Magico demonstrated how great they are.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsrule View Post
    Interesting conversation regarding design and esthetics...

I changed from MProjects to M6's primarily because the M6's look so awesome to my eye.

Both speakers sound amazing but the M6 design is perfect for me.
    I don't have decades of hi fi geekdom under my belt, BUT . . . I regard audio performance as necessary, but not sufficient, to get a place in my home. I look for a pleasing design, and one which fits the design of the rest of the room (to the extent possible). Our furnishings are VERY Danish mid-century modern, and thus hi fi 'stuff' that's contemporary, but not "futuristic" works well. Black anodized aluminum works well to contrast all the wood in the room. As you can see, my Naim rack and components also are black anodized aluminum.

I don't have decades of hi fi geekdom under my belt, BUT . . . I regard audio performance as necessary, but not sufficient, to get a place in my home. I look for a pleasing design, and one which fits the design of the rest of the room (to the extent possible). Our furnishings are VERY Danish mid-century modern, and thus hi fi 'stuff' that's contemporary, but not "futuristic" works well. Black anodized aluminum works well to contrast all the wood in the room. As you can see, my Naim rack and components also are black anodized aluminum.

Hey Bart001

Can you post an other shot that shows the entire system along with some of your room description.

Side note: Boston proper is my original home town with all family there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Sure a few more . . .

Audioshark

Sure a few more . . .

LOVE NAIM!!!! What a setup.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I havent seen a mono set up in years. If you get a second speaker this new stereo technology is amazing! I know I know, some of us are just ‘old school”
    (kidding )
    Congrats on a really nice set up!
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling

Hi Bart001, I’m new to this forum (in terms of posting, not viewing) and I notice you have the Apods with your A3s. I’ve just purchased a pair of A3s as replacements for Dynaudio Confidence C1 Platinums. I’m very happy with the change and they’re getting better and better as they burn in, but I’m am keen to ensure I’ve got the best solution for the feet/isolation - this had a big impact with the C1s.

Did you get chance to try the A3s with and without the Apods and, if so, are you able to describe any differences/improvements?

Many thanks, Mike.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Magico M2

Prettiest Magico speaker ever built IMO.

Maybe. But I wouldn't swap it for my ugly M3!

Hi Mike - Unfortunately I've not spent any time with my A3's not on Apods. I did audition A3's about 5 months before mine arrived, and those did not have Apods. Mine arrived and I installed the Apods as I was taking the speakers out of the boxes. So in other words I bought the Apods without having heard them, trusting that they'd be worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Dguitarnut View Post
    I havent seen a mono set up in years. If you get a second speaker this new stereo technology is amazing! I know I know, some of us are just ‘old school”
    (kidding )
    Congrats on a really nice set up!
    Thanks Larry! There really is another speaker on the other side of that fire place

Thanks Bart, I think this is going to be one of those cases where I just need to get the Apods on trust (when I have the funds), accepting that they’re the best solution for the A3s. I’ll have a nagging doubt until I do.....

Thanks, Mike.

Magico seems to come out with a new speaker every 6 months or so that makes a previous model un sellable.....Just my thoughts...
    Listening Room: 25' L x 18' W x 23' H..system on the long wall
    Speakers: Tidal 'Contriva Diacera-SE
    Amps: Chalice Audio 'Grail' SET mono blocks with Psvane WE 845 / 300b tubes
    Source: Lumin X-1 Network Music Player
    HighFidelity MC-1 Pro Helix conditioner
    Cables:
    Audience-Studio One RCA interconnect
    SilverSmith 'Fidelium' speaker cables
    Silent Source 'Music Reference' Power Cords x 3
    Innuos 'PhoenixNet' Switch
    CAD-CG-1

Audioquest 'fog lifters' under the Fidelium cables
    Arya Audio-RevOpods under my Tidal Speakers
    REL 212 SE Subwoofer x 2
    Nordost V2 ethernet cable

EVP Isolation footers- subs-speakers- Lumin

Tweaks:
    Stillpoints Ultra SS under amps
    EVP HDR isolators 2" x 8...under my Lumin A1 and PSU
    EVP HDR isolators 4" x 16..under my Tidal speakers and my REL 212 SE subs

Quote Originally Posted by calloway View Post
    Magico seems to come out with a new speaker every 6 months or so that makes a previous model un sellable.....Just my thoughts...
    Can you give an example of a 6 month update of a Magico? Or 1 year even?
    I personally would not want to wait years for the next Tidal model. What if you are into year 5 of the model would you want to get a pair thinking that in 2 years it will be a 7 year old speaker? I can just imagine the ease of selling those. Just MY thoughts.
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling

Audioshark

Sometimes we stumble across absolutely wonderful synergy. This setup I put together for today’s demo is one:

Magico M2’s
    Diablo 300
    Aurender N10 feeding the Diablo’s internal DAC
    MIT 2C3D speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma USB standard length
    3m AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet
    3m AudioQuest FireBird HC into the Aurender N10
    3m AudioQuest FireBird HC into the Diablo 300

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Magico M2

Awesome, Mike! You posting a video?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMagico M2
    LUMIN U1 Mini, Chord DAVE, Chord MScaler, SR Galileo BNCs, Wireworld Starlight Cat 8, AQ Cinnamon Cat 6 Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Ethernet CAT6, Synergistic Research Galileo UEF Blue Fuse Treated SC, SR L4IC, Shunyata Sigma NR PCs, Shunyata Denali 6000S v2 conditioner, Shunyata EF PC, Magico S3Mk2, Gryphon Diablo 300, Furutech GTX & Oyaide SWO outlets driven by dedicated 30A homerun 10gauge AC lines wired according to MSB Technologies best practices for wiring your house for best power: http://www.msbtechnology.com/faq/how...or-good-power/.

Audioshark

Magico M2

Quote Originally Posted by owldiscourse View Post
    Awesome, Mike! You posting a video?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMagico M2
    Here you go...

https://youtu.be/yuJJcvtQfDo

https://youtu.be/aKftzXnJ4-c

Now that my M2s have over 600 hours on them. I would have to say that the Diablo 300 / M2 combo is a great one.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Sometimes we stumble across absolutely wonderful synergy. This setup I put together for today’s demo is one:

Magico M2’s
    Diablo 300
    Aurender N10 feeding the Diablo’s internal DAC
    MIT 2C3D speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma USB standard length
    3m AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet
    3m AudioQuest FireBird HC into the Aurender N10
    3m AudioQuest FireBird HC into the Diablo 300

ICs?

None needed, DAC is internal to Diablo.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Audioshark

Jack is correct. As for the demo, customer said “these are the best speakers I’ve ever heard.” I sold him the Magico A3’s and the Diablo he has now. He has been to my store many times. He played some great Cream Live tracks. Sounded awesome.

Jack is correct. As for the demo, customer said “these are the best speakers I’ve ever heard.” I sold him the Magico A3’s and the Diablo he has now. He has been to my store many times. He played some great Cream Live tracks. Sounded awesome.

The internal Diablo DAC is supposed to beat some very heady big name competition from what I understand. I already have the Phono section so not sure I want to have so much money tied up in a single unit but it's a huge value compared to DACs it's supposed to put in the ground quite easily. I'd like to see(hear) a head on with the Chord DAVE/MScaler which is a lot more money but think the Diablo DAC could come fairly close
    LUMIN U1 Mini, Chord DAVE, Chord MScaler, SR Galileo BNCs, Wireworld Starlight Cat 8, AQ Cinnamon Cat 6 Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Ethernet CAT6, Synergistic Research Galileo UEF Blue Fuse Treated SC, SR L4IC, Shunyata Sigma NR PCs, Shunyata Denali 6000S v2 conditioner, Shunyata EF PC, Magico S3Mk2, Gryphon Diablo 300, Furutech GTX & Oyaide SWO outlets driven by dedicated 30A homerun 10gauge AC lines wired according to MSB Technologies best practices for wiring your house for best power: http://www.msbtechnology.com/faq/how...or-good-power/.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsrule View Post
    Another great Magico design.

I just wish they could figure a way to get their newest additions to be more sensitive, say 94-96 db while keeping their sonic signature.

That would make their speakers even more amazing!
    Whilst they will not sound the same, in terms of price, size and quality i would say the Stenheim Alumine 5s at 94db would be worth investigating.

https://www.stenheim.com/alumine-five

Quote Originally Posted by calloway View Post
    I believe that was the case at the very begining, when they introduced a few models in close intervals. If I recall correctly, they have rolled the Q5s just 2 years after the M5s for example.

They have been bashed on the forums for doing this (not by their customers, btw), which I think made them reconsider their product launch schedule. They seem to stick to 4-5 year production cycles nowadays, which is no different to what Wilson or B&W does nowadays.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Audioshark

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ngq_TZ...ature=youtu.be

Fascinating, Mike. Thanks for posting this link. I am reminded of how the new generation of super performance sailboat hulls are being made.

I recently heard the M2s and examined the cabinets quite closely. I was curious to see that the carbon fiber sides are recessed slighly inside the aluminum top, front, bottom and back plates by a roughly 1/8" reveal. I wonder why that is. I think the M Pro's sides are perfectly flush with the curved aluminum plates. The effect on the M2 creates a shadow line all around the four edges.
    Link to my system thread: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...l-sound.32867/
    Analog: Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, 2 NOS SME 3012R tonearms, 2 vdH Colibri Grand Cru, Colibri XPP
    Electronics: Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe, Lamm LL1.1 Signature, Lamm ML2
    Speakers: Vitavox CN-191 corner horns
    Cables: Stock SME phono cables, DIY ICs and speaker cables, Ching Cheng power cords, custom rack and amp stands

I thought a contractor in Canada built all the CF parts, or was that just the M3 side panels?

Thats very cool. In a former hobby/work-life I assisted a guy building a Glasair III. I've work with wet layup parts vacuum bagged in a negative molds. prepreg composites like Magico uses that are post-cured in an autoclave was SOTA back when I was involved with it. Prepregs are more commonplace now albeit still a costly endeavor for a small manufacturer.

It is interesting that Magico prices keep increasing, while construction of the speakers becomes simpler. Previous models used to have an elaborate internal bracing system to make the cabinets less inert, the M2 less so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Just for fun, Q5 inside ...

M7 inside ...

Extra ...
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Is it possible the Q1's didn't have enough power? It's something I recently noticed - the best way I can describe it is a "jump to attention". No doubt in my mind that the big pass monos are helping the Q3's disappear (room differences aside).

Regarding the pricing vs. complexity of manufacturing...not trying to get into a big back and forth about magico pricing but I reckon other than usual high pricing the r&d behind a new enclosure (let alone full speaker) is an expensive venture and that cost gets amortized accross units.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    It is interesting that Magico prices keep increasing, while construction of the speakers becomes simpler. Previous models used to have an elaborate internal bracing system to make the cabinets less inert, the M2 less so.
    The old Magicos were built from aluminium panels, so needed a tons of bolts and crates to put everything together. The new M2 and M6 are built as CF monococques.

The CF monococque is much stiffer than aluminium, offers more structural rigidity, has more internal dampening and allows the enclosure to be curved, which minimises internal standing waves.

It is all around a much more advanced design.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
    I thought a contractor in Canada built all the CF parts, or was that just the M3 side panels?
    AFAIR they have outsourced M6 CF monocoque manufacture to Canada, since no company in the US they contacted was able to build such a big CF piece. They did not have those problems with the M3 side panels, which are a) smaller, b) separate.

No idea where M2 CF monocoque is made.
    Adam

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Magico M2