Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Magico M2

Audioshark

Re: Magico M2

Quote Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
    Don't they just use the free room wizard software + UMIK-1 calibration microphone?
    The subs have their own software for adjusting each frequency, Q, etc.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Sure it's always fun to think about it, for me. It's not happening but it doesn't pain me to think about them. If money were no object I'd just cancel the A3 order and just get the M2's but again, my ship hasn't come in and I'm not ready to spend $56k on speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Bart, we have the NAIM Uniti Nova in the store and often use it to drive the A3’s since the NAIM offers such a great “all in one box” value and sound. The sound is typical NAIM (toe tappingly musical). It drives the A3’s fine. You of course won’t go to 115db rock concert levels, but for normal listening levels, it’s great.
    If you have a 300 on the floor, see how they do with the M2's. My local dealer keeps very little Naim on the floor; maybe that's the same with you. With so many brands, they aren't a huge seller in the States I know!

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Bart001 View Post
    If you have a 300 on the floor, see how they do with the M2's. My local dealer keeps very little Naim on the floor; maybe that's the same with you. With so many brands, they aren't a huge seller in the States I know!
    No 300 on the floor. NAIM is such a “tweaky” brand. It’s really more of a full system/synergy play. I added NAIM because I really like their Uniti series (all in one). The bigger NAIM stuff (like 300) are excellent sounding, but as you know, it’s not really a “plug & play” type of scenario with NAIM. It’s really a full system play.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

No 300 on the floor. NAIM is such a “tweaky” brand. It’s really more of a full system/synergy play. I added NAIM because I really like their Uniti series (all in one). The bigger NAIM stuff (like 300) are excellent sounding, but as you know, it’s not really a “plug & play” type of scenario with NAIM. It’s really a full system play.
    Yup! Because of that, I use a dealer half way across the country. While I do my own setup with hardware, he travels quite a bit to install full systems. There are few folks in the States like that. The new Uniti stuff sounds quite good and the Nova is very nice for its spot as an all-in-one.

I'll be quite happy with the A3/Naim combo

The 300 is a beefy amp. I'll bet you won't have any issues playing the Magico's very very loud. I used to have 500s with Magico Q1s. So obviously not exactly but ....

Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

The subs have their own software for adjusting each frequency, Q, etc.
    You still need a 3rd party software like REW, in addition to the Magico supplied DSP software.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Ok, I’m in. I’ll start... Magico M2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Haha. Certainly on my 2-year radar but I still have my eyes on the M3s
    Digital: Innuos Zenith Mk3 Server + MSB Premier DAC with Powerbase
    Amp: Gryphon Pandora + Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo
    Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables
    Power: AQ Niagara 5000 + AQ Tornado power cables
    Headphones (travel): Sennheiser Momentum + Chord Mojo

You would think there'd be an M3Mk2 within 2 years with the M2/6 monocoque cabinet.

Finland, that´s somewhere in Northern Europe

Definitely NOT going to get those for home audition.

You would think there'd be an M3Mk2 within 2 years with the M2/6 monocoque cabinet.
    Good point
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables

Quote Originally Posted by walesi View Post
    Definitely NOT going to get those for home audition.
    Push the envelope Walesi!

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    Good point
    No doubt when it happens there will be complaints about typical Magico gouging

You mean push the wallet

And watch it bend (to complete the lyric for Tool fans) - or empty!

Nah.. I´m safe as our importer is never going to get a demo pair.

Audioshark

Nah.. I´m safe as our importer is never going to get a demo pair.
    Why not? He’s the distributor for your country. You would think he would get a pair. It’s really a terrific size, that is IMO, pound for pound, dollar for dollar, the best speaker Magico has ever made. The M3 has more bass “weight” and can fill a bigger room. But the M2 at ~$20K less is really 8/10 of the M3 with some added benefits from the monocoque design. Our M2’s sound amazing in all three rooms. They are playing in the 14 x 18 now as they break in and are as I said before, out plannering the planers. That’s how versatile they are. I’m still in shock at how they filled the big ass room at Munich. The bass was phenomenal the minute you walked in that room. There was no point in the room where the bass wasn’t full, punchy, and could be felt. Defying the logic of those two bass drivers. As I said in my report, the Magico M2’s in the Magico room were consistently amazing - from Tuesday (setup day) forward through Sunday night.

I was going to say I know, but just remembered I don´t

The reason is, the market for speakers at this price point in Finland is non-existent. I wish the Scandinavian importer would loan them for a weekend to the Fin importer. That might prove to be an expensive weekend, though...

Don´t get me wrong, I guess the M2 would be all I ever want. Might have said that about the S3 Mk IIs, too

Audioshark

The reason is, the market for speakers at this price point in Finland is non-existent. I wish the Scandinavian importer would loan them for a weekend to the Fin importer. That might prove to be an expensive weekend, though...
    Very interesting.

Ya say.

I STILL have the only S3 MkII pair in Finland.

Don´t get me wrong, I guess the M2 would be all I ever want. Might have said that about the S3 Mk IIs, too
    This is surprising. The Fins (generally) aren’t into music? Not exactly a shortage of wealth in your country!

There are people here who would have the means for sure. I guess not too many of them are into HiFi. Or, if they are, Magico is not the first brand they will get into. And yes, live music is a big deal here, so you´d think good quality sound reproduction would be, too. Beats me.

Sorry for hijacking the M2 thread, back to business

I know technical specs only say so much and many have said the M2s do not lack bass but I can’t help but notice that the low end specs for S3mk2 are lower (by 2Hz - not insignificant) than M2. Any thoughts?

I jumped to the end to ask 1 question. $7600 for the mpod base. $7600 for a base. I just sold a pair of Usher BE-20 DMD's for less.

Suppose the mpod 3 piece base is made of unobtainium and worth every penny I still ask why? I do believe there's audiophiles that are in the hobby for the love of music and then there's art collectors. IDK and don't want to offend anyone.
    KEF Blade, Mc-611's, C49 rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

Ya say.

I STILL have the only S3 MkII pair in Finland.
    And still the sweet spot in the Magico line IMO.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    And still the sweet spot in the Magico line IMO.
    Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by steve59 View Post
    I jumped to the end to ask 1 question. $7600 for the mpod base. $7600 for a base. I just sold a pair of Usher BE-20 DMD's for less.

Suppose the mpod 3 piece base is made of unobtainium and worth every penny I still ask why? I do believe there's audiophiles that are in the hobby for the love of music and then there's art collectors. IDK and don't want to offend anyone.
    It’s not just a base. It’s really quite an engineering marvel. It completely decouples the speaker from the floor and any excess energy is dissipated as heat through the thick copper rings. The blue material you see in the picture below was created by NASA. The pin is to be used when moving the speaker since the speaker without the pin is literally floating on the blue rings.

Mike I've been watching the series you have on youtube with the B&W/Luxman. Are you making any video demos of the M2s?
    Speakers: Magico S3 (23')
    Integrated:Gryphon Diablo 300 plus DAC
    Streamer: HiFi Rose RS150b
    CD/DVD: Oppo 205
    Cables: Cardas-Shunyata-AudioQuest-Supra
    Roon Core: sonicTransporter i7 powered with HDPlex 200w linear PS, running AudioLinux for Roon--Tidal and Qobuz with iPad Pro

Time is just a tool humans created to measure movement and record events

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
    Mike I've been watching the series you have on youtube with the B&W/Luxman. Are you making any video demos of the M2s?
    I will. I was waiting for them to get some more hours on them.

Thanks for the reply Mike. I guess a small market can't absorb engineering costs thus nowhere to hide.
    KEF Blade, Mc-611's, C49 rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

Well, the installs are always done by the dealer. Let’s call it, the heavy lifting. . The configuration/setup is done by the Magico guys. They have the special software and tools and spend several hours dialing things in to perfection.
    Mike, congratulations on your booming sales. Question: what happens with setup if you buy a used pair of Q subs? Does Magico step in there as well, or is the new owner on his own? Sorry to be a bit off topic. The M2 certainly seems like a very promising design. I wonder if Magico is contemplating designing an M Sub. It would surely be lighter and complement their new M line of speakers. They could also be smaller without the massive aluminum bracing and sidewalls. I shutter at the thought.
    Link to my system thread: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...l-sound.32867/
    Analog: Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, 2 NOS SME 3012R tonearms, 2 vdH Colibri Grand Cru, Colibri XPP
    Electronics: Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe, Lamm LL1.1 Signature, Lamm ML2
    Speakers: Vitavox CN-191 corner horns
    Cables: Stock SME phono cables, DIY ICs and speaker cables, Ching Cheng power cords, custom rack and amp stands

Audioshark

Magico M2

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Mike, congratulations on your booming sales. Question: what happens with setup if you buy a used pair of Q subs? Does Magico step in there as well, or is the new owner on his own? Sorry to be a bit off topic. The M2 certainly seems like a very promising design. I wonder if Magico is contemplating designing an M Sub. It would surely be lighter and complement their new M line of speakers. They could also be smaller without the massive aluminum bracing and sidewalls. I shutter at the thought.
    Thank you.

Good question on a used Q sub. I guess the person could pay Magico to do setup. Maybe? Don’t know. No M sub coming. I’ve asked them. There is already an S sub and now A Sub.

And priced perhaps at $100K. That would be a radical Mk 1 to Mk 2 transformation and if drivers are upgraded to the M2 woofers X3, there would be few common parts. I see an M7 or M8 before an M3 Mk2.
    Analog: Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, 2 NOS SME 3012R tonearms, 2 vdH Colibri Grand Cru, Colibri XPP
    Cables: Stock SME phono cables, DIY ICs and speaker cables, Ching Cheng power cords, custom rack and amp stands

Audioshark

And priced perhaps at $100K. That would be a radical Mk 1 to Mk 2 transformation and if drivers are upgraded to the M2 woofers X3, there would be few common parts. I see an M7 or M8 before an M3 Mk2.
    Agreed

I see there are about nine videos on youtube posted today from Mike with the M2's. Nice to see your room and equipment. A little weird watching the videos of the M2's and seeing the A3's in front of me while the M2's play.
    Roon Core: sonicTransporter i7 powered with HDPlex 200w linear PS, running AudioLinux for Roon--Tidal and Qobuz with iPad Pro

Audioshark

I see there are about nine videos on youtube posted today from Mike with the M2's. Nice to see your room and equipment. A little weird watching the videos of the M2's and seeing the A3's in front of me while the M2's play.
    Hope you’re enjoying them!

Weird is one thing. Checkbook-opening-inducing is another.
    Sources: Naim ND555/555PS | Roon Nucleus | Naim Soltstice Special Edition turntable and phono stage
    Amplification: Naim 552/500DR
    Interconnects: Ansuz/Chord Music/Naim SuperLumina
    AC Power: Ansuz C2
    Speakers: Magico S5MkII

I'm not ready or interested in dropping $65K on the M2s. But, it's always nice to window shop.

Bart, do you have a shipping or receiving date yet on the A3s? Fingers crossed!

I'm not ready or interested in dropping $65K on the M2s. But, it's always nice to window shop.

I'm also someone who can window shop and not feel bad that I'm not buying.

Last week my dealer said "Magico says soon." No bona fide date yet; it's killing me
    Sources: Naim ND555/555PS | Roon Nucleus | Naim Soltstice Special Edition turntable and phono stage

Darrel you're my good luck charm! Alan Goodwin emailed me last night that my A3's are in! I hope to be able to get them into my home this weekend!

No way those M2’s can sound better than The S3Mk2’s in my room
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Dguitarnut View Post

Dang! No dislike button for posts?
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Maybe this is blasphemous, but if I ever have the luxury of considering S3Mk2 or M2, honestly the colors of the former might be a deciding factor. It might be quite cool (if my wife agrees) to have one of those colors in our home.

We recently changed from cherry Devores to the A3's, and I'm liking the black a lot at the moment. But those colors ARE cool IMHO.

I see cars out on the road that I think, wow, cool color, I bet that color would look great on a pair of Magico speakers. But ultimately black has won the day. My S3's and S-Sub were MCAST pewter (close to black), and my Q3's were anodized black, and my M3's are, well, they are just so gorgeous I can't imagine them in any other color.

Maybe this is blasphemous, but if I ever have the luxury of considering S3Mk2 or M2, honestly the colors of the former might be a deciding factor. It might be quite cool (if my wife agrees) to have one of those colors in our home.

We recently changed from cherry Devores to the A3's, and I'm liking the black a lot at the moment. But those colors ARE cool IMHO.
    that lamborghini orange - wowza

Yes, one has to be careful as one will be living with the color hopefully for a long time! I was looking at Porsches one time and saw a Miami-ish teal car and before I said anything the sales guy said "Don't even think of it. You'll love it for a month and hate it forever after that." He had a point!

Bart, what model Devores did you have and what are the sonic differences in your system between them and your new A3s?

Bart, what model Devores did you have and what are the sonic differences in your system between them and your new A3s?
    Hi Peter!

I had the Devore Nines, from 2011 through May 2019. Along the way I upgraded my Naim hardware from a smallish integrated to my current system.

When originally auditioning, I picked the Nines for their stunning midrange, smooth treble, and very nice imaging soundstage. And they are somewhat efficient, and were suitable to that first Naim integrated. And had the approval of my wife, who does not like speakers that look like they belong on space ships.

Pretty quickly I longed for more bass, and added a JL subwoofer about 2 years later. The JL didn't have a remote, so it was rarely "just right." But it helped a lot. I got tired of looking at the subwoofer, added more hardware and needed the floor space back, and removed it from the system a couple of years ago. But longed for more bass. AND over time I thought that the Nines were getting a bit "shouty" at higher listening volume. We like to 'turn it up' once in a while, but the beautiful midrage at those volumes got, for lack of a better word, "shouty" or glarey. It's not the speakers that changed but my appreciation for what I was hearing.

The A3's really solve all of the above issues. They retain midrange (by that I mean vocals mostly) that is lovely, wonderful soundstage and imaging, absolutely add the bass I was wanting (not the same as what a JL sub can do of course, but much more than I was hearing with the Nines and quite satisfying), and none of the shoutiness. They are still new; not a large number of hours on them. But I had borrowed Goodwin's demo pair that were fully broken in and I know what they'll become.

I do believe that the A3's at my intro $9800 price point to be excellent values. I'm very happy I purchased them.

Well, I finally got the M2s that I ordered. I ordered them as soon as I knew they were coming out. I really liked the M3s, but the M2 seemed like the one to get. In the S series, I always thought and still do, that the S3 versions were the best in the line. Obviously room makes a difference, but every time I heard the S3 etc, it was better than the others. Just my opinion.

So when the M2 was introduced and with how much I liked the M3s, I knew that I wanted to try them. I know - audiophile logic - stupid stupid stupid. Buying a $63,000 (w M-pods) speaker with NOBODY ever listening to it - other than Magico itself of course, well its just foolish.

I now have about 100 hrs on them and all I can say is --- WOW. They are meeting all my hopes. IMO - best Magico to date (unless you have a huge room).

These speakers have a magical quality to them.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Magico M2