Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Magico M2

Re: Magico M2

The speaker looks really beautiful.

I do find it interesting the construction of aluminum in contact with carbon fiber. In my experience in the aircraft industry you never have aluminum assembled to carbon fiber due to corrosion issues. The requirements are very different and with speakers in that they don't have temperature, altitude or stress the same as aircraft. But, the two don't play well together due to the effect of carbon fibers corrosive effects on aluminum. Just a thought.
    Speakers: Magico S3 (23')
    Integrated:Gryphon Diablo 300 plus DAC
    Streamer: HiFi Rose RS150b
    CD/DVD: Oppo 205
    Cables: Cardas-Shunyata-AudioQuest-Supra
    Roon Core: sonicTransporter i7 powered with HDPlex 200w linear PS, running AudioLinux for Roon--Tidal and Qobuz with iPad Pro

Time is just a tool humans created to measure movement and record events

Nice pictures but the angle on some of them make me "Dizzie".
    Roon Core: sonicTransporter i7 powered with HDPlex 200w linear PS, running AudioLinux for Roon--Tidal and Qobuz with iPad Pro

Super Moderator

EC7C03CC-0B57-4AA2-A513-1D3CB20F418E.png

PNG from JPG conversion.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Super Moderator
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
    The speaker looks really beautiful.

I do find it interesting the construction of aluminum in contact with carbon fiber. In my experience in the aircraft industry you never have aluminum assembled to carbon fiber due to corrosion issues. The requirements are very different and with speakers in that they don't have temperature, altitude or stress the same as aircraft. But, the two don't play well together due to the effect of carbon fibers corrosive effects on aluminum. Just a thought.
    Pretty sure there is a gasket between the carbon and aluminum....

Pretty sure there is a gasket between the carbon and aluminum....
    If that was all that was required to stop the effects then airplane manufacturing would use as described. They don't for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
    If that was all that was required to stop the effects then airplane manufacturing would use as described. They don't for a reason.

Speakers don't get rain, salt, chemicals. U are way over thinking this...

Speakers don't get rain, salt, chemicals. U are way over thinking this...
    I'm merely bringing up the facts about aluminum and carbon fiber. Weather and the environment has an effect on everything everywhere even in the home with equipment and speakers.

M3:

Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

well years ago when carbon was still exotic in bicycle industry , the French manufacturing company LOOK bicycles used pipes of carbon and those where glued together with aluminum joints , can't recall i have heard of any faulty because of those parts together.
    Apart from that i like the look of the M2
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Inter connect : Nordost Tyr 2 ( 2 Meter )
    LS cable : Yter
    Power Cables : Nordost Frey 2 ( 2 Meter )
    Nordost QB8
    Fibercable for feeding the Lumin X1
    Rack : Finite Elemente Pagode

French engineering
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

he he , can be both good or bad.
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Inter connect : Nordost Tyr 2 ( 2 Meter )
    LS cable : Yter
    Power Cables : Nordost Frey 2 ( 2 Meter )
    Nordost QB8
    Fibercable for feeding the Lumin X1
    Rack : Finite Elemente Pagode

Had several cars, including the BMW M3, aluminum chassis with a CF roof, so its not just the French

Is special tooling required to open up an M3 enclosure?

Are there any reports on how this Magico sounds?

A3 cracked a brief mention in the Stereophile Montreal show reports. I don't think M2 got a mention at all.

Atkinson mentioned the M2....

The monocoque construction of the M2 and M6 is a brilliantly engineered design with tension rods holding the cast aluminum front and back and the thick carbon fiber sides very tightly together. No bonding of aluminum and carbon is necessary. Consequently, the cabinet is amazingly strong, rigid and inert. I knocked hard on the carbon fiber sides of the M6 and it is as solid as a rock. Highly impressive.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    The monocoque construction of the M2 and M6 is a brilliantly engineered design with tension rods holding the cast aluminum front and back and the thick carbon fiber sides very tightly together. No bonding of aluminum and carbon is necessary. Consequently, the cabinet is amazingly strong, rigid and inert. I knocked hard on the carbon fiber sides of the M6 and it is as solid as a rock. Highly impressive.

Ken
    I agree. The original Magico Mini was also constructed like this but with birch plywood instead of carbon fiber. I imagine it takes less time to assemble these new speakers because of the few connectors, saving costs.
    Link to my system thread: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...l-sound.32867/
    Analog: Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, 2 NOS SME 3012R tonearms, 2 vdH Colibri Grand Cru, Colibri XPP
    Electronics: Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe, Lamm LL1.1 Signature, Lamm ML2
    Speakers: Vitavox CN-191 corner horns
    Cables: Stock SME phono cables, DIY ICs and speaker cables, Ching Cheng power cords, custom rack and amp stands

Quote Originally Posted by FDPDK View Post
    well years ago when carbon was still exotic in bicycle industry , the French manufacturing company LOOK bicycles used pipes of carbon and those where glued together with aluminum joints , can't recall i have heard of any faulty because of those parts together.
    Apart from that i like the look of the M2
    i used to race with one of those creaked and groan like a old hag , no confidence endured when in a 42 mph flat sprint, hated it same for the Klein ...

Went back to steel frames always thought them better than composites or ally back then ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsrule View Post
    Atkinson mentioned the M2....
    Here... https://www.stereophile.com/content/...rning-montreal

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I agree. The original Magico Mini was also constructed like this but with birch plywood instead of carbon fiber. I imagine it takes less time to assemble these new speakers because of the few connectors, saving costs.
    Yes, less assembly time and better performance!

Ken
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Funny that there is basically no talk about the M2..you would think it would be a talking point of the show....

Audioshark

Magico M2

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsrule View Post
    Funny that there is basically no talk about the M2..you would think it would be a talking point of the show....
    Canadians are cheap (I’m Canadian and American), they saw the price and kept walking.

You know the difference between a Canadian and a canoe?

A canoe tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I completely missed the mention of M2 in that report, I was expecting to see something more substantial. A new Magico speaker usually generates more hoopla at its first public showing.

Quote Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
    I completely missed the mention of M2 in that report, I was expecting to see something more substantial. A new Magico speaker usually generates more hoopla at its first public showing.
    I'm surprised too, especially given the great looks and high expectations of the sound. I wonder why Magico chose to debut the speaker at this show. I would have thought Munich.
    Analog: Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, 2 NOS SME 3012R tonearms, 2 vdH Colibri Grand Cru, Colibri XPP
    Cables: Stock SME phono cables, DIY ICs and speaker cables, Ching Cheng power cords, custom rack and amp stands

Munich show isn't until May 9-12. Maybe Magico did not want to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzie View Post
    Munich show isn't until May 9-12. Maybe Magico did not want to wait.
    Most likely.

Can't expect much from Stereophile when it comes to Magico
    Here is another report:
    The Best of Montréal Audio Fest 2019
    https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/opinion/1272

From reading the article it sounds like a very new pair of M2's in a less than perfict room.

One thing I noticed from the articles header under details at the top of the article

Written by Doug Schneider Category: Uncategorised Created: 01 April 2019

According to Magico FB, they will be at Overture, Delaware this coming weekend. I believe they will be at AXPONA as well.

Audioshark

My pair is coming soon. Looking forward to it. Time to cue up the Daft Punk!

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    My pair is coming soon. Looking forward to it. Time to cue up the Daft Punk!

Mike,

Can’t wait to hear your impressions of the M2’s.

Ken

‘Your pair’???.....you keep saying that.
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Paul

Looks like Mike's crates are ready....

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2019/04/magico-m2.html

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
    Looks like Mike's crates are ready....

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2019/04/magico-m2.html
    YES!

Nice
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Anyone compare M2 to M3?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Riess View Post
    Anyone compare M2 to M3?
    Soon!

Or the A3 to M2. The form factors are quite similar...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Riess View Post
    Anyone compare M2 to M3?
    With the improved woofers and monocoque cabinet construction, I believe the difference will be much less than people expect.

Ken

With the improved woofers and monocoque cabinet construction, I believe the difference will be much less than people expect.

Ken
    How have the woofers been improved, any details on that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Ken
    Apparently the M2’s woofers were redesigned to deliver more bass since there are only two of them. This enables the M2 to deliver nearly as much bass overall as the M3’s. Mike may have some details on the actual changes that were made to achieve this result.

Ken

Apparently the M2’s woofers were redesigned to deliver more bass since there are only two of them. This enables the M2 to deliver nearly as much bass overall as the M3’s. Mike may have some details on the actual changes that were made to achieve this result.

Ken
    Thanks Ken, I have also heard the M2s do not lack far behind the M3s in terms of bass output, and that definition might even be a tad better.

Mike, any insights into this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by owldiscourse View Post
    Or the A3 to M2. The form factors are quite similar...
    My A3's should arrive in a couple of weeks. The M2's would be akin to 'grail' speakers in theory. The good thing is that the A3's should hold their value (I'm paying the original on-offer price) well enough that trading them will be doable.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Bart001 View Post
    My A3's should arrive in a couple of weeks. The M2's would be akin to 'grail' speakers in theory. The good thing is that the A3's should hold their value (I'm paying the original on-offer price) well enough that trading them will be doable.
    Nice! At $9800 they were a STEAL! $12,300 is still a great value for the A3.

Audioshark

My Magico M2’s arrive!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Magico M2