Magico M2 - Page 42
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 32 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast

Thread: Magico M2

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Magico M2

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    .. I prefer Q3's anodized finish over some of the gloss paints and M cast finishes. There is a high rejection rate, apparently, and it is a very expensive process....
    Not just in the Magico, but anodizing generally. Halcro was throwing away so much anodized metal that wasn't quite perfect, which was costing them a fortune for nothing, they ended up changing to automotive grade paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting conversation regarding design and esthetics...

I changed from MProjects to M6's primarily because the M6's look so awesome to my eye.

Both speakers sound amazing but the M6 design is perfect for me.

3. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post
    Likes joeinid, brodricj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

I heard for the first time the M2 last week and needless to say I was really amazed by them. This was however a first (and short) listening session not really planned on top of that.
    More “serious“ listening sessions are now ahead of me...
    As I am not a Magico “expert” and there must be plenty in this thread !! ,are the Magico speakers (and more specifically the M2) directive speakers or the opposite ? ( in my difficult room , controlled directivity would be a + )

Thanks
    Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, we put the M2 into place where the S5 MkII speakers were previously. A simple test was to turn the volume all the way up and to feel by hand how much the enclosure vibrated. With the S5 MkII you could easily feel vibrations in the enclosure, but with the M2 there was very, very little vibration. In terms of sound quality, I would pick the M2 over the S5 MkII, knowing that the M2 low-frequencies roll off a little sooner.

With respect to your question about off-axis response, Alex, all of the measurements and my own personal experience has been that Magico speakers are not designed to be very directional.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, Acoustic Zen, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Dirac, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, LUMIN, Magico, Marantz, Ortofon, Prism Sound, RME, STAX, Trinnov

7. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post
    Likes the professor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Were you playing music with the volume all the way up? I broke both of my S5s playing them really, really loud. I hope the M2 is better.
    Bud

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for preamp, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Were you playing music with the volume all the way up? I broke both of my S5s playing them really, really loud. I hope the M2 is better.
    Well, I turned the volume up to +0dB which is the max before the electronics may introduce distortion, but that was not the absolute loudest I could have done if I tried to destroy the electronics or the speakers. :p I could have sent it a clipped 0dBFS audio signal with the gain at something like +16dB which would have been super bad. Also would not have been music.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, Acoustic Zen, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Dirac, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, LUMIN, Magico, Marantz, Ortofon, Prism Sound, RME, STAX, Trinnov

Post Thanks / Like

That is why the Pass/Magico gear impresses me. Even at an unrealistic volume, the sound still sounded great. I was going to back off once the speakers started to distort, but that never occurred. While it cost to get the speakers fixed, both Pass and Magico demonstrated how great they are.
    Bud

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for preamp, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

11. Likes Mike, Dguitarnut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsrule View Post
    Interesting conversation regarding design and esthetics...

I changed from MProjects to M6's primarily because the M6's look so awesome to my eye.

Both speakers sound amazing but the M6 design is perfect for me.
    I don't have decades of hi fi geekdom under my belt, BUT . . . I regard audio performance as necessary, but not sufficient, to get a place in my home. I look for a pleasing design, and one which fits the design of the rest of the room (to the extent possible). Our furnishings are VERY Danish mid-century modern, and thus hi fi 'stuff' that's contemporary, but not "futuristic" works well. Black anodized aluminum works well to contrast all the wood in the room. As you can see, my Naim rack and components also are black anodized aluminum.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Naim 252/SCDR/300DR pre and power amplification
    Naim ND555/555PS streamer/player
    Naim SuperLumina cables and interconnects
    Rega RP-8 | Apheta 2 | Aria
    Magico A3

13. Likes Mike, Dguitarnut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bart001 View Post
    I don't have decades of hi fi geekdom under my belt, BUT . . . I regard audio performance as necessary, but not sufficient, to get a place in my home. I look for a pleasing design, and one which fits the design of the rest of the room (to the extent possible). Our furnishings are VERY Danish mid-century modern, and thus hi fi 'stuff' that's contemporary, but not "futuristic" works well. Black anodized aluminum works well to contrast all the wood in the room. As you can see, my Naim rack and components also are black anodized aluminum.

Hey Bart001

Can you post an other shot that shows the entire system along with some of your room description.

Side note: Boston proper is my original home town with all family there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi S with 4point 9 arm & Kuzma 40 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum Pre Amp and Monos | Boulder Phono 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Valhalla 2: power, interconnects & speaker cables | Ansuz: C2 power & interconnect cables
    Power: Nordost QRT series | Keces P3 & P8 | Furutech GTX D NSF package | Dedicated 20 amp with Surge Guard
    Foundation: HRS M3X | Stillpoints Ultra 6, SS & Mini | Nordost Sort Cones TC & BC | AQ Vox SE switch | Gigafoil v4

Post Thanks / Like

Sure a few more . . .

Attached Images Attached Images
    Naim 252/SCDR/300DR pre and power amplification
    Naim ND555/555PS streamer/player
    Naim SuperLumina cables and interconnects
    Rega RP-8 | Apheta 2 | Aria
    Magico A3

16. Likes Mike, bart, the professor liked this post

Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 32 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast