Magico M2 - Page 30
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 20 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Magico M2

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Magico M2

Quote Originally Posted by The Sandman View Post
    James Blake, not Jeremy Blake.

I think that fluttering effect is more due to power and setup than anything else... it seems like it’s due to fluctuating the phasing, not imaging in the usual sense. It pressurizes the room and tickles my ears.
    I get a tickle sensation on my home system. What I heard with the M2 is different. I listened to the song my hd800 and the bass was right in my ears. This is how it sounded on the M2, as if the bass was coming from transducers right on my ears. So its more than a mere tickling of the ears.
    Check out our audio discord Sonic Visions (https://discord.gg/PAMBexj), www.sonicvisions.org, a group focused on discussing all things high end audio.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smodtactical View Post
    I get a tickle sensation on my home system. What I heard with the M2 is different. I listened to the song my hd800 and the bass was right in my ears. This is how it sounded on the M2, as if the bass was coming from transducers right on my ears. So its more than a mere tickling of the ears.
    There are two effects as I mentioned - a fluctuating pressurization of the room (the tickling) and some kind of phase effect which makes the sound seem to be coming from everywhere which your brain interprets as next to your ears or even behind you. Some of the laughter in DSOTM for example has the same effect of delocalization.

If you don't get the tickling effect it's because the speakers aren't pressurizing the room (not enough power and/or not enough woofer). If you don't get the phase effect with the sound seemingly coming from next to your ears it's most likely speaker placement issues. I get both effects on my system but I wouldn't attribute either to imaging. Holographic imaging implies you can locate sounds precisely within the sound field. Phase manipulation kind of does the opposite - it delocalizes the sound. Pulling it off depends on proper speaker placement, seating position, and sound treatment of some kind to minimize disruption from the first and second reflection points.
    Howard

Pass Labs XS 300's, XS Pre | Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference Series 2 MQA, Alpha USB | Aurender N10, ACS10 | Magico S7's with MPOD's, QSub 15 x 2 | Shunyata Denali 2000T x 2 with Sigma HC | Audience aR6-TS | MIT Heritage and Oracle Interconnects and speaker cables | Critical Mass Maxxum rack | Resolution Acoustics custom room treatments

3. Likes joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Sandman View Post
    There are two effects as I mentioned - a fluctuating pressurization of the room (the tickling) and some kind of phase effect which makes the sound seem to be coming from everywhere which your brain interprets as next to your ears or even behind you. Some of the laughter in DSOTM for example has the same effect of delocalization.

If you don't get the tickling effect it's because the speakers aren't pressurizing the room (not enough power and/or not enough woofer). If you don't get the phase effect with the sound seemingly coming from next to your ears it's most likely speaker placement issues. I get both effects on my system but I wouldn't attribute either to imaging. Holographic imaging implies you can locate sounds precisely within the sound field. Phase manipulation kind of does the opposite - it delocalizes the sound. Pulling it off depends on proper speaker placement, seating position, and sound treatment of some kind to minimize disruption from the first and second reflection points.
    Any advice on placement of my speakers to mimic the same phase effect? Right now I have my sig towers slightly toed in and about 3 feet from back wall and 4 feet from side walls in a 16 foot long room, listening position is about 10 feet away. Room is 16 x 12 x 8 ft. 2 18 inch subs, one in top right corner and one in back left corner. No treatments but furniture and book cases in my room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs1DJ3q0OTU

Thanks!
    Check out our audio discord Sonic Visions (https://discord.gg/PAMBexj), www.sonicvisions.org, a group focused on discussing all things high end audio.

Post Thanks / Like

After a long absence, and not a lot of serious music listening (one of the many downsides of working too hard!), I am re-engaging with my music. Was delighted to see the M2 release and have read with interest all the reports. One thing that jumps out at me is that the M2’s bass reach (at least based on the specs) is less than the M3s and also the S3 mk2s (smaller drivers presumably). Has anyone who has heard the M2s and the M3s found the M2s lacking in bass? Appreciate that room size is a factor. Also read with interest the view that the M2s’ enclosure is more advanced than the M3s (M6s trickle-down). Aside from room size and ignoring budget (two key variables!) is there any reason why one would go for the M2s over the M3s?
    Digital: Innuos Zenith Mk3 Server + MSB Premier DAC with Powerbase
    Amp: Gryphon Pandora + Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo
    Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables
    Power: AQ Niagara 5000 + AQ Tornado power cables
    Headphones (travel): Sennheiser Momentum + Chord Mojo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smodtactical View Post
    Any advice on placement of my speakers to mimic the same phase effect? Right now I have my sig towers slightly toed in and about 3 feet from back wall and 4 feet from side walls in a 16 foot long room, listening position is about 10 feet away. Room is 16 x 12 x 8 ft. 2 18 inch subs, one in top right corner and one in back left corner. No treatments but furniture and book cases in my room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs1DJ3q0OTU

Thanks!
    The room dimensions are not ideal - there are probably some significant room nodes that need to be dealt with. You might try placing the speakers a couple feet further in to the room. The subs especially will likely take a lot of trial and error and/or room treatments and DSP for best result.
    Howard

Pass Labs XS 300's, XS Pre | Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference Series 2 MQA, Alpha USB | Aurender N10, ACS10 | Magico S7's with MPOD's, QSub 15 x 2 | Shunyata Denali 2000T x 2 with Sigma HC | Audience aR6-TS | MIT Heritage and Oracle Interconnects and speaker cables | Critical Mass Maxxum rack | Resolution Acoustics custom room treatments

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    After a long absence, and not a lot of serious music listening (one of the many downsides of working too hard!), I am re-engaging with my music. Was delighted to see the M2 release and have read with interest all the reports. One thing that jumps out at me is that the M2’s bass reach (at least based on the specs) is less than the M3s and also the S3 mk2s (smaller drivers presumably). Has anyone who has heard the M2s and the M3s found the M2s lacking in bass? Appreciate that room size is a factor. Also read with interest the view that the M2s’ enclosure is more advanced than the M3s (M6s trickle-down). Aside from room size and ignoring budget (two key variables!) is there any reason why one would go for the M2s over the M3s?
    The M2 is definitely not lacking in bass. It filled the 20 x 30 room at Munich beautifully. The drivers I BELIEVE are built to a higher specification than the M3 and that’s how they can get so much, so low out of just two instead of three. The cabinet is a definite advantage helping the speaker disappear. As I said to Alon, the M series outplanners the planners. Others like Alpinist have said this and I agree. The M2 is for the customer who wants to upgrade from the S3 mk2 IMHO (Larry, this means you).
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

8. Thanks AJR thanked for this post
    Likes the professor, Kuoppis, Dguitarnut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike. I see an M2 audition on the horizon...
    Digital: Innuos Zenith Mk3 Server + MSB Premier DAC with Powerbase
    Amp: Gryphon Pandora + Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo
    Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables
    Power: AQ Niagara 5000 + AQ Tornado power cables
    Headphones (travel): Sennheiser Momentum + Chord Mojo

10. Likes joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The M2 is definitely not lacking in bass. It filled the 20 x 30 room at Munich beautifully. The drivers I BELIEVE are built to a higher specification than the M3 and that’s how they can get so much, so low out of just two instead of three. The cabinet is a definite advantage helping the speaker disappear. As I said to Alon, the M series outplanners the planners. Others like Alpinist have said this and I agree. The M2 is for the customer who wants to upgrade from the S3 mk2 IMHO (Larry, this means you).
    If it's any help, my experience with the A3 in my space (16x31x18) was quite shocking in my 20 years experience of audiophilia. I bring it up because the M2 and A3 have basically a quite similar form factor as well as drivers (at least size-wise) and I never had great expectations for the A3 working in this sized room. I achieved the stunning room lock that smodtactical described hearing at Mark's place. The chinese drums provided me with goosebumps and tremendous walloping dynamics. I've had several pairs of S3's in different rooms and never got that effect out of them at all. My room is open into other rooms so I get a lot of leakage and the A3 - was a stunning performer. I called the A3 a miracle speaker because it seems to defy the law of physics both for their stature as well as their driver size/complement. If the M2 does this with its further refinements (carbon monocoque) it most certainly could be the new "sweet spot" of the Magico line, a title held currently by S3Mk2. I'd love to see someone provide measurements on these speakers. Like we say at work - in God we trust - everyone else must bring data.

12. Likes AJR, the professor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Tempted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: AMG V12 + AMG 12j2 arm + Benz Micro Gullwing SLR MC/ Cardas Clear Beyond Phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Grandinote Celio/ Aurender N100H with Curious USB/ Synology NAS with Roon and HD Plex linear PSU with Shunyata HD/ AQ Diamond RJ45 + AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE/ Brinkmann Nyquist MK II/ Ayre KX-5 Twenty/ Soulution 511/ WyWires Platinum ICs + power cables/ Magico S3 mk2/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ REL S5 SHO/ REL Blue/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata AlphaHC (x2)+ Alpha+Alpha Analogue+Alpha Digital/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints Ultra SS.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Sbooster LPSU/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh doggy chit!

Mike I regret to inform you I have moved to Timbuktu somewhere!
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

15. Likes Alpinist liked this post

Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 20 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast