Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Thread: Magico M2

Magico M2

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    The old Magicos were built from aluminium panels, so needed a tons of bolts and crates to put everything together. The new M2 and M6 are built as CF monococques.

The CF monococque is much stiffer than aluminium, offers more structural rigidity, has more internal dampening and allows the enclosure to be curved, which minimises internal standing waves.

It is all around a much more advanced design.
    That’s a bit of a simplification, Adam. Something assembled from many pieces, like the Q7 or Q5, might need a structure to hold it together.

But the M2 and S5 are assembled from a similar amount of pieces, altogether only a few. Side panels, back panel, and front with internal aluminum front panel, baffle etc. The aluminum side panels are very stiff, and don’t as such require any more support than the carbon fibre plates do. It’s not like you could bend 1/2 inch thick aluminum side panels or something. Yet the internal support structure in the M2 is less elaborate. Magico has just decided to build the speakers in a simpler way. At the same time they increase the price. That’s all I’m saying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Re: Magico M2

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Magico has just decided to build the speakers in a simpler way. At the same time they increase the price. That’s all I’m saying.
    Manufacturers consistently look to simplify manufacturing processes for a variety of benefits including lower costs, better reproducibility and consistency, etc. And over time they consistently look to raise prices, not lower them. Where do we see manufacturers of luxury goods lowering their prices over time??

The typical cycle is more of seeing them improve quality . . . and raise prices. I'm glad that Magico has continued to improve quality.
    Sources: Naim ND555/555PS | Roon Nucleus | Naim Soltstice Special Edition turntable and phono stage
    Amplification: Naim 552/500DR
    Interconnects: Ansuz/Chord Music/Naim SuperLumina
    AC Power: Ansuz C2
    Speakers: Magico S5MkII

Magico M2

Quote Originally Posted by Bart001 View Post
    The typical cycle is more of seeing them improve quality . . . and raise prices. I'm glad that Magico has continued to improve quality.
    Not entirely sure where and how reduction in internal bracing improves quality...

But it is a simplification in the manufacturing approach, which was my original argument.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Not entirely sure where and how reduction in internal bracing improves quality...

But it is a simplification in the manufacturing approach, which was my original argument.

Interesting that you see it that way.
    Isn’t the A series construction is similar to the Q, for a lot less money?
    A curved sidewall will be stiffer then a straight one, it will need less bracing.
    I very much doubt it is any simpler or more economical building a 1/2” thick CF monocoque enclosure instead of machining a square box from aluminum. CF works at that caliber is difficult and expensive to make (Look at WB prices). Just getting the finish right will be a nightmare. These are better enclosures than the Q (or the A), and I am pretty sure more expensive to make.

Quote Originally Posted by LVB View Post
    Interesting that you see it that way.
    Isn’t the A series construction is similar to the Q, for a lot less money?
    A curved side wall will be stiffer then a strait one, it will need less bracing.
    I very much doubt it is any simpler or more economical building a 1/2” thick CF monocoque enclosure instead of machining a square box from aluminum. CF works at that caliber is difficult and expensive to make (Just look at WB prices). Just getting the finish right will be a nightmare. These are a better enclosure then the Q (or the A) , and I am pretty sure more expensive to make.
    Not making any statements about what is costlier to manufacture. Just saying Magico is forfeiting their signature internal bracing construction in the M2.

Comparison was between S5 and M2, both have curved side panels.

Not making any statements about what is costlier to manufacture. Just saying Magico is forfeiting their signature internal bracing construction in the M2.

Agree, but judging by the results, they seem to know why.

First I have heard that Magico's "signature" is their older internal bracing manufacture. I look at it as older technique that doesn't sound as good....

Magico M2

Their still current top-of-the-line Q7 mk2 still uses that approach. That speaker was advertised having 600 screws to hold the structure together.

If it suddenly is not the bees knees anymore, I wonder when will Magico drop diamond coating, graphene, carbon fiber, and curved front baffles. Maybe it is all just marketing BS for hype-hungry audiophiles?

My ancient S3MK2s haven’t developed a rattle yet.....
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Quote Originally Posted by Dguitarnut View Post
    My ancient S3MK2s haven’t developed a rattle yet.....
    You mean to say that upon introduction of the M2, they haven't spontaneously rattled apart into a pile of brackets and screws????
    Sources: Naim ND555/555PS | Roon Nucleus | Naim Soltstice Special Edition turntable and phono stage
    Amplification: Naim 552/500DR
    Interconnects: Ansuz/Chord Music/Naim SuperLumina
    AC Power: Ansuz C2
    Speakers: Magico S5MkII

Regardless of how they are made, Magico has an outstanding record of delivering improved sound at various price points over time. As their products have evolved, they have shown that they are not wedded to a single enclosure technology.

The Lord knows I tried!........I put earplugs and muffs and cranked them to 11 with led Zep and then ....gasp .....techno and rap. Still as tight as a...........uhh.....my wallet haha
    Guess I have no excuse to upgrade....other than looks. My recent hearing frequency tests
    show that it would be a waste anyway and I just won’t get new eyeglasses.
    There, upgraiditis attack quelled!
    Still hoping for Santa Mikelous to come thru though!
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling

Audioshark

Magico M2

Quote Originally Posted by Dguitarnut View Post
    The Lord knows I tried!........I put earplugs and muffs and cranked them to 11 with led Zep and then ....gasp .....techno and rap. Still as tight as a...........uhh.....my wallet haha
    Guess I have no excuse to upgrade....other than looks. My recent hearing frequency tests
    show that it would be a waste anyway and I just won’t get new eyeglasses.
    There, upgraiditis attack quelled!
    Still hoping for Santa Mikelous to come thru though!
    Larry, back up your sleigh, and let’s load them up! M2’s for Christmas at uncle Larry’s.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Dang you are a slick devil!
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling

Banned

I read this thread today. Very interesting. M2 sounds like an outstanding speaker.

Mike hopefully - if the docs release me - after mid-Feb we will be able to get together and give the M2s a listen - the M3s as well (which is still the way I'm leaning, but ...).

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    I read this thread today. Very interesting. M2 sounds like an outstanding speaker.

Mike hopefully - if the docs release me - after mid-Feb we will be able to get together and give the M2s a listen - the M3s as well (which is still the way I'm leaning, but ...).
    Sounds good. The M2’s are fabulous, so are the M3’s.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I’m looking for any first hand owner experience for M2. Opinions after living with the speakers are very valuable to me. I know I keep changing my impression of a speaker during weeks/ months that follow.

Also, wondering if M2 plays bigger than S3II? S3’s are slightly taller with slightly larger bass drivers (7” vs. 8”), but M2 cabinet is much deeper (17.5” vs. 12”). For comparison, M3 depth is 19”.

Magico M2

Khin, in a sentence: I don’t think so.

I was recently interested in them to a level that I got an offer. But reading Martin Collom’s review in Hifi Critic was quite eye opening.

In a nutshell, mids and highs are reproduced very nicely, but they’re a bit anemic in the bass region. Good bass down to 35 Hz (are we talking about a stand mount, or what?), below that not so much. Plus he said that he faced tremendous difficulties finding a good setup - to an extent he states that on the front page. He also felt a Naim 555 setup was inadequate power-wise. Are we really talking about a 60K floor-stander?

Got the re-print and can make a scan for you if you PM me.

I've run 3 amps with my M2s. D'agostino M400 monos, a Gryphon Diablo 300 and a Naim NAP500.

All three have had NO problem taking the M2s into extremely loud conditions. Each never have had the sound of being strained.

Not exactly sure what you mean by bigger. The M2s certainly disappear better and give a wider soundstage.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    I've run 3 amps with my M2s. D'agostino M400 monos, a Gryphon Diablo 300 and a Naim NAP500.

All three have had NO problem taking the M2s into extremely loud conditions. Each never have had the sound of being strained.

Not exactly sure what you mean by bigger. The M2s certainly disappear better and give a wider soundstage.
    Hi Jock,

Three different amps, wow! Which one is your favorite on the M2’s?

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Bigger maybe a confusing word here. I don’t think Magico intended to make M2 that way - plays bigger and louder than S3. That’s what M3 is for. But for my application and music I listen to, I do need M2 to be at least on par with S3 in the bass department. My room is 14 x 20, so in general, I don’t think M2 would have any issue pressurizing it.

The Naim. But Naim is such a system and not just an amp, so it's not just the amp that has to be compared as long as it drives the speaker well - which it does excellently.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Hi Jock,

Three different amps, wow! Which one is your favorite on the M2’s?

Ken
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Interesting, Martin Colloms says no.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Sounds good. The M2’s are fabulous, so are the M3’s.
    Agree on the M2 &M3 sweet spot of the line IMO ...

I will add. The first Naim amp I listened to the M2's was the NAP250 and it sounded pretty good at low to mid volume levels. BUT, at loud volumes it definitely had issues and became screechy. Knowing the difference between the 250 and 500 from previous experience I had no doubt the 500 would be ok so I went ahead and ordered it.
    Jock

---------

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    But for my application and music I listen to, I do need M2 to be at least on par with S3 in the bass department.
    I think saying the bass output of the M2 is on par with the S3 MkII is a fair statement, having both in the same room here. The quality is different.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

Quote Originally Posted by NekoAudio View Post
    I think saying the bass output of the M2 is on par with the S3 MkII is a fair statement, having both in the same room here. The quality is different.
    Bass quality I assume M2 is better? Thanks for the feedback, it’s very helpful.

The articulation and finesse of the M2 bass would be better than S3mk2, no question about that. As for the weight of bass for both speaker, let me just say "QSUB"
    Speakers: Magico M3, ACC, S-SUB | Electronics: Esoteric Grandioso stack | Amplification: Halcro |
    Analog cables: Crystal Cable | Digital cables: Shunyata Sigma | Rack: YG Acoustics Rack 1.8
    | Source: Kaleidescape Premiere (4 x 6TB) | Power: Shunyata Typhon-QR, Everest and Denali

Magico M2

Quote Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
    The articulation and finesse of the M2 bass would be better than S3mk2, no question about that. As for the weight of bass for both speaker, let me just say "QSUB"
    Maybe I should get QSUB first Magico M2

I slummed it with SSUB. It doesn't do much, it just does enough.
    Speakers: Magico M3, ACC, S-SUB | Electronics: Esoteric Grandioso stack | Amplification: Halcro |
    Analog cables: Crystal Cable | Digital cables: Shunyata Sigma | Rack: YG Acoustics Rack 1.8
    | Source: Kaleidescape Premiere (4 x 6TB) | Power: Shunyata Typhon-QR, Everest and Denali

I slummed it with SSUB. It doesn't do much, it just does enough.
    Actually I currently use JL 113v2 with my S3.

There you go. Nothing lacking with the JL option.

Magico M2

Magico is the only brand I know, where you buy speakers costing as much as a BMW five series, and then you need subs to make them sound right Magico M2.

It’s kind of a paradoxon.

LOL

- but then again I know of no speaker by any manufacturer under a quarter of a million dollars that would not be improved by adding an excellent sub.

Magico is the only brand I know, where you buy speakers costing as much as a BMW five series, and then you need subs to make them sound right Magico M2.

Jock

---------

Any SOTA attempt not using 4 towers are posers , sub bass location will always be different from the mains.

Regards

LOL

- but then again I know of no speaker by any manufacturer under a quarter of a million dollars that would not be improved by adding an excellent sub.
    Magico M2

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Bass quality I assume M2 is better? Thanks for the feedback, it’s very helpful.
    You're welcome, and yes it is better.

If you want to pull the bottom few octaves then both the M2 and S3 MkII can benefit from being paired with a subwoofer, particularly one that has DSP applied to extend output to at least 20Hz but preferably lower.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

And in 3 years... the Magicos will still re-sell for more than double the BMW!!!

Never connected with the M2 myself, I have not heard it in a real room setup though only shows and “bad rooms”. M3 on the other hand has always been my favorite and the one that could replace my S3’s.

As for my BMW, I could have had the M3’s or my M4 GTS, and the car as done much better value wise

Of course, any car will sit idle 99% of the time while you can listen to your stereo 16+ hours a day, seven days a week.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by dznutz View Post
    And in 3 years... the Magicos will still re-sell for more than double the BMW!!!
    Best of luck with the fantasy becoming a reality

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Magico M2