MSB Reference DAC
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 69
  1. #1
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    23,602
    Post Thanks / Like

    MSB Reference DAC




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

  2. Likes Alpinist, kzhtoo, Odyssey, dimfer, Ritmo, cmarin, Kuoppis liked this post
  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,750
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: MSB Reference DAC

    Well deserved accolades for the Reference DAC. I am so happy with my Select II DAC that I canít even put it into words. I am blown away by what I hear every time I turn it on. It perfectly completes my system. The functionality of the Renderer Input Module and the Roon Nucleus Plus puts all my music seamlessly at my fingertips. I guess you could say that Iím on cloud nine!

    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with
    Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock,
    Renderer V2 and Roon Nucleus Plus
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: AudioQuest Niagara 7000

  4. Likes kzhtoo, bzr, Mike, dimfer, Billt1 liked this post
  5. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Tampa FL
    Posts
    188
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: MSB Reference DAC

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Well deserved accolades for the Reference DAC. I am so happy with my Select II DAC that I can’t even put it into words. I am blown away by what I hear every time I turn it on. It perfectly completes my system. The functionality of the Renderer Input Module and the Roon Nucleus Plus puts all my music seamlessly at my fingertips. I guess you could say that I’m on cloud nine!

    Ken
    Ditto! Amazing company MSB.
    MSB Select II DAC
    D'Agostino Momentum M400 Monoblocks
    Magico M3 Speakers
    Magico Q-Sub 15 subwoofers (April)
    Transparent Opus Gen5 speaker cables and interconnects
    PS Audio P20 Re generator

  6. Likes Alpinist liked this post
  7. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Seattle Washington USA
    Posts
    544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: MSB Reference DAC

    Why not try a better source. I was treated to a demo of The Linear Solution Network Streamer a couple days ago. Definitely an improvement to my digital playback. I have the full Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC and Deja Vu server. Both the designer of the switch and maker of my Server/DAC agree a high quality source impacts the performance of a Network Attached device. There are many devices well beyond the performance of a Nuc Plus. They just lack all the functionality of the Nuc as they are designed for performance playback. Just a though.

    Has anyone yet inserted a better player in front of their Select after using a Nuc?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Well deserved accolades for the Reference DAC. I am so happy with my Select II DAC that I canít even put it into words. I am blown away by what I hear every time I turn it on. It perfectly completes my system. The functionality of the Renderer Input Module and the Roon Nucleus Plus puts all my music seamlessly at my fingertips. I guess you could say that Iím on cloud nine!

    Ken
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp, Altec Lansing 1570B modded by Transition Audio Design and myself, Mojo Audio CAT Server running Win Server 2016 AO HQ and Roon, Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC, Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Custom TT with Vertere Arm, Denon 103R Midas with sapphire cantilever line contact diamond, Allnic H1201 phono pre, Pure Audio Project Trio 10 with performance Solen air core chokes and Mundord Supreme oil caps, Power via 10 awg OFC cord from panel to custom distribution strip, Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.

  8. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,750
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: MSB Reference DAC

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    Why not try a better source. I was treated to a demo of The Linear Solution Network Streamer a couple days ago. Definitely an improvement to my digital playback. I have the full Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC and Deja Vu server. Both the designer of the switch and maker of my Server/DAC agree a high quality source impacts the performance of a Network Attached device. There are many devices well beyond the performance of a Nuc Plus. They just lack all the functionality of the Nuc as they are designed for performance playback. Just a though.

    Has anyone yet inserted a better player in front of their Select after using a Nuc?
    Please take it from someone who actually owns a Nucleus Plus and has listened to it extensively, its sound quality and functionality are top notch. You are selling it way short, in my opinion.

    I would imagine an audiophile server such as the updated SGM (with Ethernet connection) may sound better and will be able to handle more albums but it costs many times the price of the Nucleus Plus. The Nucleus Plus is a reasonably priced audiophile quality music server and turnkey solution for Roon endpoint DACs.

    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with
    Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock,
    Renderer V2 and Roon Nucleus Plus
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: AudioQuest Niagara 7000

  9. Likes Mike, kzhtoo, Billt1 liked this post
  10. #6
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    23,602
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: MSB Reference DAC

    Kingrex - what I think needs clarification is that the MSB Roon Renderer module is a purposely built, from the ground up, Linux computer using no shortcuts. It just needs a computer running Roon Core and nothing is better than the Nucleus plus IMO.

    If youíre running another DAC, then there are a myriad of options.

    As companies sort out and start to build proper Roon modules (not just an off the shelf Ethernet connection), then we will see things similar to what MSB is doing. Less is more.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

  11. Thanks Alpinist thanked for this post
    Likes Alpinist, kzhtoo, bzr, Ritmo liked this post
  12. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Seattle Washington USA
    Posts
    544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: MSB Reference DAC

    I'm not trying to be insulting. I know little about MSB. I did have a conversation with a Roon guy showing off the NUC at a local hifi shop. I was asking about it's high fidelity pedigree. What they were doing to make it sonically superior to others. He was pretty upfront in saying it's good, but not designed to compete with a real server. It's a multi use devices with ease of functionality designed into it.

    My experience the other day as I understood, validated a Network Renderer/Endpoint is doing part of the work. Not all, but part. The performance of the preceding server influences the playback quality. List price for a Select all set up is well over $100K. If you spend that seeking the best, why not go for all the performance and move from a $2500 Nuc to a Innuous, Antipodes, Mojo, Sound Galleries server. Feed that MSB the best darn signal you can give it.

    Maybe I am totally wrong and the MSB card does everything. The source could be an iphone through a wifi router and nothing more needed. That is not my understanding how some other Network Servers work. At least I am understanding the source matters as I am doing research on if I want to add a network streamer into my system.

    Mike, you sell the Zenith Mark II SE??? Have you tried it, or is MSB that different. What feeds MSB DAC at shows?

    Interested to know. Thanks
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp, Altec Lansing 1570B modded by Transition Audio Design and myself, Mojo Audio CAT Server running Win Server 2016 AO HQ and Roon, Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC, Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Custom TT with Vertere Arm, Denon 103R Midas with sapphire cantilever line contact diamond, Allnic H1201 phono pre, Pure Audio Project Trio 10 with performance Solen air core chokes and Mundord Supreme oil caps, Power via 10 awg OFC cord from panel to custom distribution strip, Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.

  13. #8
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    23,602
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: MSB Reference DAC

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    I'm not trying to be insulting. I know little about MSB. I did have a conversation with a Roon guy showing off the NUC at a local hifi shop. I was asking about it's high fidelity pedigree. What they were doing to make it sonically superior to others. He was pretty upfront in saying it's good, but not designed to compete with a real server. It's a multi use devices with ease of functionality designed into it.

    My experience the other day as I understood, validated a Network Renderer/Endpoint is doing part of the work. Not all, but part. The performance of the preceding server influences the playback quality. List price for a Select all set up is well over $100K. If you spend that seeking the best, why not go for all the performance and move from a $2500 Nuc to a Innuous, Antipodes, Mojo, Sound Galleries server. Feed that MSB the best darn signal you can give it.

    Maybe I am totally wrong and the MSB card does everything. The source could be an iphone through a wifi router and nothing more needed. That is not my understanding how some other Network Servers work. At least I am understanding the source matters as I am doing research on if I want to add a network streamer into my system.

    Mike, you sell the Zenith Mark II SE??? Have you tried it, or is MSB that different. What feeds MSB DAC at shows?

    Interested to know. Thanks
    I donít sell Zenith. I think there is some confusion. Youíre talking apples, we are talking oranges. The Nucleus+ is not being used as a ďmusic serverĒ in the traditional sense of the word. Itís simply running Roon Core. There is NO USB involved. No direct connection. The Nucleusí sole purpose is to run Roon Core. Thatís it. Everything else is built into the Roon Renderer module.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

  14. Likes Alpinist, kzhtoo liked this post
  15. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,750
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: MSB Reference DAC

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I don’t sell Zenith. I think there is some confusion. You’re talking apples, we are talking oranges. The Nucleus+ is not being used as a “music server” in the traditional sense of the word. It’s simply running Roon Core. There is NO USB involved. No direct connection. The Nucleus’ sole purpose is to run Roon Core. That’s it. Everything else is built into the Roon Renderer module.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike,

    Is it safe to say that unless you’re using DSP processing in Roon, the digital data is going straight from the NAS to the MSB Renderer Input Module and all digital processing is handled there?

    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with
    Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock,
    Renderer V2 and Roon Nucleus Plus
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: AudioQuest Niagara 7000

  16. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Seattle Washington USA
    Posts
    544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: MSB Reference DAC

    My point exactly, its the core. It matters. Its ethernet connected, same as the Endpoint I heard. It's suppose to matter. I don't see why they would differ. Its probably still an ARM processor with Linux software.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I don’t sell Zenith. I think there is some confusion. You’re talking apples, we are talking oranges. The Nucleus+ is not being used as a “music server” in the traditional sense of the word. It’s simply running Roon Core. There is NO USB involved. No direct connection. The Nucleus’ sole purpose is to run Roon Core. That’s it. Everything else is built into the Roon Renderer module.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp, Altec Lansing 1570B modded by Transition Audio Design and myself, Mojo Audio CAT Server running Win Server 2016 AO HQ and Roon, Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC, Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Custom TT with Vertere Arm, Denon 103R Midas with sapphire cantilever line contact diamond, Allnic H1201 phono pre, Pure Audio Project Trio 10 with performance Solen air core chokes and Mundord Supreme oil caps, Power via 10 awg OFC cord from panel to custom distribution strip, Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.

 

 
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast