Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Esoteric migrating off of AKM Dac chips for flagship D1X?

I just bought this SACD title on eBay. Compared to the free version on Spotify Premium, the SACD 'aint worth the premium price. Although $30 for the CD would be.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
    I just bought this SACD title on eBay. Compared to the free version on Spotify Premium, the SACD 'aint worth the premium price. Although $30 for the CD would be.

I've had that one for quite some time; good but not great. There are always exceptions....There are many positive and negative examples for CD, SACD, Streaming....
    Legacy Audio Valor+Wavelet v2, Esoteric S-02 Amps HDPlex 300W, RevAudio Labs DC Umbilical, Esoteric Grandioso P1, P1PSU & dual D1 DACs, Cybershaft Prem Ltd OP21A 10 MHz Clock, Esoteric C-02X, Shunyata Everest 8000 & Altaira SG-NR hubs, Sigma SGC/CGC ground cables, VTX-Ag ground tails, AfterBurner8 duplexes, CSP Inc Q4B, S2B IEC plates, Shunyata Omega CLOCK-50 cables, Tubulus Concentus HDMI, Elrod Master Series Diamond SE & Masters Series Gold Power cords and Statement Gold XLRs, Diamond XLRs & Master Series Diamond XLRs, Shunyata OMEGA QR-s power cable, Anaconda Z-tron XLR, Elrod Statement Gold speaker cables, Adona Zero GX3, GX2, GX racks, Composite Audio CF-2010, Townshend Audio Podiums, HRS DPX Damping Plates, Stillpoints Ultra SS w/Ultra Bases, pArtScience 64-well, 2D QRD 3-inch SpaceArray Diffusors

Travel/Rip: Apple MacBook Pro 16” 2023 M2 Max, 12-core CPU, 38-core GPU, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD for Audirvana+ v3, iTunes, REW Audio Analyzer, dbPowerAmp, DVD Audio Extractor

Post a list of your exceptional SACD pressings.

Post a list of your exceptional SACD pressings.
    Is this a request or an order...kind of hard to tell.

What's your purpose?
    Legacy Audio Valor+Wavelet v2, Esoteric S-02 Amps HDPlex 300W, RevAudio Labs DC Umbilical, Esoteric Grandioso P1, P1PSU & dual D1 DACs, Cybershaft Prem Ltd OP21A 10 MHz Clock, Esoteric C-02X, Shunyata Everest 8000 & Altaira SG-NR hubs, Sigma SGC/CGC ground cables, VTX-Ag ground tails, AfterBurner8 duplexes, CSP Inc Q4B, S2B IEC plates, Shunyata Omega CLOCK-50 cables, Tubulus Concentus HDMI, Elrod Master Series Diamond SE & Masters Series Gold Power cords and Statement Gold XLRs, Diamond XLRs & Master Series Diamond XLRs, Shunyata OMEGA QR-s power cable, Anaconda Z-tron XLR, Elrod Statement Gold speaker cables, Adona Zero GX3, GX2, GX racks, Composite Audio CF-2010, Townshend Audio Podiums, HRS DPX Damping Plates, Stillpoints Ultra SS w/Ultra Bases, pArtScience 64-well, 2D QRD 3-inch SpaceArray Diffusors

Travel/Rip: Apple MacBook Pro 16” 2023 M2 Max, 12-core CPU, 38-core GPU, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD for Audirvana+ v3, iTunes, REW Audio Analyzer, dbPowerAmp, DVD Audio Extractor

I'd like to add to my collection of worthwhile SACD, rather than the hit-and-miss random approach.

Quote Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
    I heard the P1X/D1X on 5 seatings in Munich as well as the N-03T and was very impressed. Write me for finer details. The P1X/D1X has an amazing and very musical sound presentation, a bit more rounded and warm than the P1/D1 without sacrificing the killer imaging, sound-staging and top to bottom extension that Esoteric is known for.

In short, all the transparency, top to bottom speed, accuracy, musically realistic playback, rock solid imaging and detail that Esoteric is known for and more. A bit more warmth overall in the mids and highs especially like the K1 so a bit more analog but not overly warm (like the K1) and without giving up any of the resolution, imaging, speed, transient playback, etc...of the P1/D1. Extremely close to the existing P1/D1 but with a bit more analog playback quality to it consistent with the change in fundamental DAC design philosophy. I dare say Esoteric's best effort to date bar none for CD and SACD playback and their first where the RBCD was 100% equal to the SACD playback (which has always been IMHO the world's finest). Where the D1Xs took a step up over the 02, 02X and even the D1 generations is streaming playback. I was surprised by the more natural
    and more disc-like playback of anything streamed through the N-03T connected with the D1X DACs.

All this from a P1X, D1X and N-03T which were close to new, not burnt in, using mid-level speakers and good quality power conditioning and cables; the Esoteric C1 pre-amp and M1 monos were in use (I know their sound well), the overall choice of showing speakers, cables and power left no doubt that even without burn in, the P1X, D1X spinning discs had not equal at the show were on a short list of 2 (IMHO) for best of show.

Wadax Reference DAC, monster beauty that it is, together with the Atlantis Transport, and the JMF Audio universal player and DAC were, IMHO, the other jaw-dropping/impressive D->A playback experiences at the shows for CD and SACD playback...

Please note there were other strong contenders for streaming playback in Munich and that I've heard including the Wadax and Esoteric setups, but I am not responding in this thread for general streaming DAC performance.
    Well on my side there is only one dealer proposing a demo of the combo and home demo trial is unfortunately not an option in HK. Every time I listened to a CD or a SACD I have been impressed : clarity, micro and macro dynamics, transparency and at the same time no digital edge / harshness. I would say more forgiving than previous Esoteric players I am familiar with particularly with not so great recordings ( obviously it's not doing miracle, a bad recording is a bad recording ).
    Then I listened with the N03T ( dual AES ) ,with a USB key and a regular router setup ( so no optimization at all) . I have been less impressed. Dont get me wrong it was very good but the direct and immediate comparison with the previous spinning performance was ...
    So most probably with a transport of the same level of the P1X ( SGM and alike ) and a more optimized network setup,performance would have very close.
    The only thing is that I did not read anything specific about a specific improvement of the non proprietary digital input ( USB particularly )

Alex

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

By any chance do they still have a P1 in the store on demo? I'd like to know how P1 and P1x compare, all other things being equal.

Quote Originally Posted by moby1977 View Post
    Well on my side there is only one dealer proposing a demo of the combo and home demo trial is unfortunately not an option in HK. Every time I listened to a CD or a SACD I have been impressed : clarity, micro and macro dynamics, transparency and at the same time no digital edge / harshness. I would say more forgiving than previous Esoteric players I am familiar with particularly with not so great recordings ( obviously it's not doing miracle, a bad recording is a bad recording ).
    Then I listened with the N03T ( dual AES ) ,with a USB key and a regular router setup ( so no optimization at all) . I have been less impressed. Dont get me wrong it was very good but the direct and immediate comparison with the previous spinning performance was ...
    So most probably with a transport of the same level of the P1X ( SGM and alike ) and a more optimized network setup,performance would have very close.
    The only thing is that I did not read anything specific about a specific improvement of the non proprietary digital input ( USB particularly )

Alex

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk
    I have just read SCA's impressions and indeed he is spot on and surprised as his listening was at show conditions.

I expect from his familiarity with the Esoteric lineup he has the differences between the earlier well covered.

I can only imagime the connections with dual hdmi using the ESlink5, i believe that that would be another big milestone.

It seems to me that you are keen on the transport like myself and wanting to know more how it performs as a dac.

Although i can only use my K-01x into a mutec reclocker (all masterclocked) with Shunyata Sigma clock cables as posted in my earlier post was that there is another dimension of refinement that has been revealed by the D1x that i have not experienced before with my Aurender w20 (also mastercloked), so can only imagine how the P1x would sound paired.

However, the D1x sonic signature alone without the P1x has and is to me still everything as you, SCA and myself have described.

I have never been a fan of USB, this may more be a limitation from the source than the D1x, Maybe SCA may be able to offer his impressions here on the USB input.

Yes, the SGM is tempting and logical, but am more than contented currently and what is need is a N1T streamer connecting via ESlink5 (dual hdmi) to the D1x. Lets see if it will be made and have an audition it in my system.

I would add that if one feels that their system is on the forgiving side and already warm, even the D1 at discounted prices may be a good snag.

"I would say more forgiving than previous Esoteric players I am familiar with particularly with not so great recordings ( obviously it's not doing miracle, a bad recording is a bad recording ). "

I would not say forgiving, but the way the overall details of the D1x and presented do not seem as impressively spotlit (but has everything and more) and now to me the k-01x presents it seemingly disjointed from part of the whole musical performance. (Generalisation of the previous Esoteric "House" soundand presentation), but am guessing the shift in sonic character looks to have started from the release of the K1.

At this level, your decision should be made if you feel comfortable with the progression of the Esoteric sound over the years, but it seems the stack is getting excellent impressions from shows and reviews so far.

Why i say this, is because I would caution anyone coming from a different brand of dac, likely is optimised with different cables which may now give a very different result as opposed to already having Esoteric as a dac.

The of requirement of double sets of powercords and clock cables to re-optimise quickly adds to the cost, that is why some caution has to be taken with accessing the compatibility in ones setup.

On hindsight, although i am guilty, i should not have blindly buy any component at this prices without accessing the compatibility and the correct sonic direction you are wanting.

I practically ran 1 side of the dac (mono amp to both speakers) to assess and test suitability of a previous powercord which worked well enhancing the attributes on the K-01x, now caused a tonally opposing direction in sound when used on the D1x.

This shows that new sonic direction of the D1x retains the familiar, yet vastly different Esoteric house sound.

Quote Originally Posted by justubes View Post

...what is need is a N1T streamer connecting via ESlink5 (dual hdmi) to the D1x.
    A Grandioso N1T. To be announced at the next Tokyo show. Let's hope so.

You need and want one.

That Alison krauss SACD is pretty fine, if not one of the top few finest recordings, that is why it priced so high and demanded only by crazy audiophiles!

I cannot agree the cd version is better and bought all version of it including the 4 dics audiophile lp, at one stage, bought up 5 copies of this particular SACD before they went out of print.

Wish i had spares left and sold a copy to you

Sonically, it is worth USD189.99, maybe expectations bias at USD300+ is not up to par.

I'd like to add to my collection of worthwhile SACD, rather than the hit-and-miss random approach.
    http://sa-cd.net/
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Most of the sacds i ended up in disappointment and many were not whatni would listen to.

They simply sound more processed.

The Krauss sacd is good for a mainstream pop/rock recording, by found it better than the cd version.

It does sound pretty fine over tidal but nothing.

One has to turn to good lps(mostly older and very pricey now) or open reel tapes i guess to get that specialness.

That would do it! Probably out there on the roadmap somewhere if recent release schedules are any indication (just guessing)!

I'll give it my best shot when off the road from work soon to send a list of titles; anything from Stockfisch is an easy 'yes' though their CDs are great.

Venus Records SACDs are even better than their already great "hyper magnum" CD pressings; and that's a high bar.

All the recent 40th Anniversary Tull Remaster sets on SACD are great to my ears. Vinyl is better of course but many of the news SACDs are the best discs I've heard
    including the collectible MoFi Tull at much higher prices.

Alot of 80s and 90s mainstream rock studio recordings aren't worth the money for the high-end SACD or CD versions in general (there are exceptions such as Dire Straits, Steely Dan and many others) as so much rock was recorded in the studios compressed and with low sound quality (IMHO). Again, there are exceptions...

Need more time for audio.....

Quote Originally Posted by asindc View Post
    +1 good suggestion along with various posts on Steve Hoffman forums and other venues

By any chance do they still have a P1 in the store on demo? I'd like to know how P1 and P1x compare, all other things being equal.
    If memory serves Von Schweikert has P1/D1 backing it's play in Munich and possibly other shows with the new VAC SOTA integrated and the Ultra9s.

No 10Mhz master clock though and using Master Built cables throughout the system.

P1/D1 on its own is impressive but anyone who has heard top end Esoteric single, dual or quad-box stacks will tell you they all sound their best with an external
    10 mHz clock of (Esoteric Grandioso G1, G-01 and others, Mutec, Cybershaft,....). Also connectivity options dual-HDMI where offered and then dual-AES and dual-AES where it is the top option.

I've never been a USB fan; it's one of the worst Over the wire and connector specs out there (IMHO!), and that's for computer hookup, let alone audio.

There are very very few USB cables that help with that, the best I know of is the Shunyata SIGMA USB. A good second tier contender is the powered
    B.M.C. PureUSB1 out of Germany,...been around a while, the SIGMA USB kills it though!

All that aside, I really wish I could stand a P1 and P1x side by side and compare them.

All that aside, I really wish I could stand a P1 and P1x side by side and compare them.
    You are not alone....that's a near impossibility except possibly in Akihabara in Tokyo. From a dealer perspective having that as long
    as Esoteric continues to make the P1/D1 which may or may not be long would be a self-defeating proposition as you may risk a large
    investment in one or the other as it seems certain that one will out-sell the other. Probably not what you wanted
    to hear but I think the most common reality out there...

From my perspective the D1x is a no-brainer, even though it's significantly more expensive than D1. Whether I wish to upgrade from my P1 to P1x, that will need some convincing.

From what i have read online, there were at least 2 dealers who had in the showroom the P1 and D1.

On the launch of the P1x/D1x, the old version was demoed side by side and available for sale after once the demo period of a few weeks were up back in April.

I was planning a trip and also had a plan to have a listen of the new vs. old in early June if it was still on demo, unfortunately had to cancel my trip.

It may still be available if anyone us planning a trip to Japan.

One of the stores is in Aki, Tokyo, Dynamic audio.

The sharks have gone a bit quiet here on the Esoteric front....

Has anybody tried one of these SOtM master clocks against an Esoteric or Cybershaft?

https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/en...op/sclk-ocx10/

From what I can tell the phase noise looks lower than the specs for some of the Cybershaft OP.

Does anybody know how software updates are done on D1X? Is it something an end-user can do, or must go back to dealer?

It's just a variation of the Lumin software just like with Teac streamers just a different color scheme. They are not updated as often as the Lumin software which is what I use instead on the Teac Reference streamer. I think both the Teac and Esoteric's latest is 1.03. It should notify you or update automatically if you have that feature turned on
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

But D1X does not have a network connection, so I don't understand your explanation.

This is all they show for software for the D1X and it is just USB drivers.

http://www.esoteric.jp/products/esot...downloade.html
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

There is a software update to make D1X MQA compliant due soon, I just want to know how that happens.

The MQA and Roon updates on the NT-505 had to be accomplished by downloading the file on the laptop and then connecting the laptop to the software port on the back. You initialized the update file on the laptop. When I received mine the MQA update had already been done and I did the Roon update.

I see there is a USB port "software" on the back of D1X. So the software update gets published on Esoteric website, or must sourced via dealer?

Mine was website and I doubt that Esoteric's method would be any different than the other part of the company. Took about 10 minutes total from start to finish and that includes getting behind the gear and connecting the cable.

There is a software update to make D1X MQA compliant due soon, I just want to know how that happens.
    Check out how it was done for N-01. For reference only, it may or may not be the same - I don't know:
    http://www.esoteric.jp/products/esot..._driver_e.html
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

It will be different.
    N-01 is done via network interface.
    D1X doesn't support network interface.

N-01 is done via network interface.
    That's 50% correct.

Scroll down to "MQA Software Update Information".
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

N-01 question -

I'm looking to replace my laptop streaming tidal and using Foobar music player for my 7 TB of FLAC/WAV on HDD USB to my K-01X with the N-01. I'm looking to not have to buy a dedicated server like Innous Statement or the Aurrender W-20.

Will the N-01 Esoteric app play my HDD of Hi Rez files direct connected to it's USB HDD input?

Can Roon reside on my tablet I use for the remote control and see the N01?

Based on previous posts, I should assume my K-01x can't output SACD to the N-01, so I will need to keep the K-01X direct to my preamp for SACD?

thanks all for input.

AKM Factory Fire—A Pro-Audio Industry Disaster
    A 82-hour fire in AKM's semiconductor factory is already hurting numerous top pro-audio manufacturers around the globe.

BY CLIVE YOUNG ⋅
    PUBLISHED: OCTOBER 29, 2020

AKMNobeoka City, Japan (October 29, 2020)—In the wake of a massive three-day fire at the Nobeoka City factory of semiconductor producer Asahi Kasei Microsystems (AKM), pro-audio manufacturers around the globe are now facing anticipated shortages of crucial DAC and ADC chips used in their products. “It’s probably the most disruptive event in my 40 years of audio industry experience,” said John La Grou, CEO of Millennia Media. “Devastating is not too strong a word. Can 2020 get any worse?”

Millennia is just one of many high-end pro-audio companies with major products designed around AKM chips; others include Solid State Logic, TASCAM, miniDSP, Merging Technologies, SPL of Germany and RME, to name only a few.

The AKM fire broke out at the semiconductor manufacturing plant on Tuesday, October 20, and took three days to put out. While no one was hurt, reportedly 400 employees were evacuated when it began. Parts of the building structure, including sections of walls and the roof, collapsed on October 22 after another fire broke out on the factory’s fifth floor. Throughout the blaze, a chemical odor emanated from the building, thought to be hydrogen chloride generated by the coatings of electrical cables on fire.

Can't post link. Do search "AKM fire".

No problems for users who have migrated away from AKM chip.

Audioshark

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Yes, I saw this article last week when it came out. Good thing Esoteric has migrated away from the AKM DACs. Excellent timing on their part.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

I'm in the process of ordering D1X. My dealer says June and July production units are all pre-sold. Place a deposit today and might get a slot on the August production for late August delivery. I'm surprised if the demand is that great that we haven't seen more product reviews in the usual places. I haven't seen a single review in an English language publication since it was released over 3 years ago. And only one owner review on YT that I've seen.

You'd think if history is any indicator the D1X/P1X models would be mid-life by now. For sure within a week of confirming my order Esoteric is bound to announce something new. Just like when I ordered P1 the P1X was announced the following week.
    Speakers: Magico M3, ACC, S-SUB | Electronics: Esoteric Grandioso stack | Amplification: Halcro |
    Analog cables: Crystal Cable | Digital cables: Shunyata Sigma | Rack: YG Acoustics Rack 1.8
    | Source: Kaleidescape Premiere (4 x 6TB) | Power: Shunyata Typhon-QR, Everest and Denali

I'm in the process of ordering D1X. My dealer says June and July production units are all pre-sold. Place a deposit today and might get a slot on the August production for late August delivery. I'm surprised if the demand is that great that we haven't seen more product reviews in the usual places. I haven't seen a single review in an English language publication since it was released over 3 years ago. And only one owner review on YT that I've seen.

You'd think if history is any indicator the D1X/P1X models would be mid-life by now. For sure within a week of confirming my order Esoteric is bound to announce something new. Just like when I ordered P1 the P1X was announced the following week.
    Congratulations! I've been very happy with my Esoteric N01-XD. I imagine the D1X has got to be a phenomenal DAC. Look forward to your comments.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

It is significantly better sounding than the original D1. Try it also with a top of the line streamer.

Gerald

I'm planning on AppleTV > D1X as a Spotify Connect device. I have no other streaming requirement.
    D1 is still very rare to find on the used market. For $10K it's an appealing option. Unless you have 5x that to spend on its replacement model.
    Crystal ball says D1X delivery late August.
    Speakers: Magico M3, ACC, S-SUB | Electronics: Esoteric Grandioso stack | Amplification: Halcro |
    Analog cables: Crystal Cable | Digital cables: Shunyata Sigma | Rack: YG Acoustics Rack 1.8
    | Source: Kaleidescape Premiere (4 x 6TB) | Power: Shunyata Typhon-QR, Everest and Denali

Audioshark

I'm planning on AppleTV > D1X as a Spotify Connect device. I have no other streaming requirement.
    D1 is still very rare to find on the used market. For $10K it's an appealing option. Unless you have 5x that to spend on its replacement model.
    Crystal ball says D1X delivery late August.
    An Apple TV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Yep. The Spotify App runs on AppleTV. AppleTV has optical out, right? I'm not sure, I haven't checked, but if it does that's the plan. If I can sell N-01. It's on eBay now, just got an offer of $500 for it. Yeah, nah....troll.

I just checked the AppleTV. No optical out. That's a surprise. Bugger. Plan B = old MacBook Air via USB to D1X for Spotify.

Invest in an iFi Zen Stream for $399. It runs Tidal Connect and Spotify Connect and you'll have your choice of USB or Coax. In addition the iFi software includes about a dozen FLAC radio stations including ones from BBC, Linn, Naim and Radio Paradise.

Does iFi Zen only support Spotify Connect with Premium subscription, or will it work with the free subscription?

It will work I suppose with whatever levels the Connect app supports. I bought one just for fun to see how it sounded compared to an older Aries Mini I was using in the Family Room system that is mostly for Internet Radio. The fact that I was able to use the LPS I already owned for the Aries was a bonus. I bought it from a place that allows a 60 day return in case it didn't work out but it is a definite step up in sound quality for the radio part and if I want to use Qobuz or Tidal I can just use mConnect which we are both familiar with. I don't have a Spotify subscription anymore so can't really test it.

Audioshark

Does iFi Zen only support Spotify Connect with Premium subscription, or will it work with the free subscription?
    Are you able to get Qobuz or Tidal?

Spotify is mp3 level.

A DAC at the level of D1X deserves high res and a proper network transport like the Antipodes K50 which should be easy for you to get since its from Australia.

GIGO is alive and well in digital audio. In managing the same dollars, an N-01XD + G1X might be worth considering or K-01XD + G1X. The thinking here is that playing CD/SACD’s could provide a base line for whatever server you decide on.

But what is feeding the DAC (high res source material, the software of the streamer, the streamer itself, etc) is as important as the DAC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

A DAC at the level of D1X deserves high res and a proper network transport like the Antipodes K50 which should be easy for you to get since its from Australia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Its Actually from New Zealand-- You Canadians always get that Mixed up

Sorry

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Its Actually from New Zealand-- You Canadians always get that Mixed up

Sorry

Bruce
    Don't be sorry- I got a laugh - though given Mikes location is much closer to Mexico than Canada - perhaps "You Mexicans always get that Mixed up"...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    But what is feeding the DAC...
    For me it's CD's and a few SACD's. Spotify caused me to buy a lot of CD's which I still haven't got around to listening too yet. But without a Premium subscription any more I can't cast to the N-01.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Esoteric migrating off of AKM Dac chips for flagship D1X?