Esoteric migrating off of AKM Dac chips for flagship D1X? - Page 11
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Esoteric migrating off of AKM Dac chips for flagship D1X?

Quote Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
    Very interesting thread as I posted the review of the K-01xs vs DA2 on AA. I had lived with the DA2 for about 6-8 months and the thing it did the best was the holographic 3D sound stage without any doubt. I loved it. It also never sounded bright or hyped up in my system which consists of a Mark Levinson No52 Ref pre, No 536 Mono's, Wilson Sasha 2's, Aurender N100h, dac of choice, and all MIT Oracle IC and SC. Using all Transparent Ref and XL power cables w. Ref Isolator. To be fair ... when I started the comparison I was still using fairly cheap power cords and at that point the DA2 was better in almost every way and I had just about written the Esoteric off. Then, I decided to try better power cords and noticed that the entire system sounded much better. One night after getting the new power cords I decided to give the Esoteric another listen as I now had over 1000 hours on it. So with better power cords and equal HRS isolation platforms the k-01xs in my system did sound a bit better than the DA2. It achieved the same level of 3D sound stage as the DA2 with all of the detail but had more weight throughout the mids and lows with greater dynamic slam and impact which for me ... I like. By comparison the DA2 was now sounding a tad bit thin vs the Esoteric. I think that the Esoteric seemed to be more sensitive to power and vibration issues than the DA2 but once those were solved I really liked how it performed. To be very clear ... neither of these units ran all over the other ... the differences are small but noticeable and if I had never heard one or the other I could be happy with either. That said ... now that I've chosen the Esoteric I am going up to the game a little with the D-02X and if that sticks(who knows with me :-) ) then I'll swap out the K-01XS for the P-02X and call it a day. I had also compared the DA2 to the Vivaldi and I preferred the DA2 over the Vivaldi alone but when the upsampler was added I preferred the sound of the Vivaldi but just can't spend that kind of money right now. I liked the DA2 over the Rossini because to me the Rossini just didn't produce the same holographic sound stage as the DA2. I'm sure the MSB is incredible as well I just like the sound signature of the current crop of products from Esoteric. Totally personal preference here so I'm not saying any of these are "better" just different and I'm good with listening to what I like even if someone else thinks its not as good as something else! Moral of the story is to listen to these DACS in your system and decide what you like and make sure the test is truly apples to apples. Cheers everyone!

George
    Hi George, I would certainly agree with most of your comments above. I think it all boils down to system synergy and personal taste!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Andy!

Definitely agree on system synergy and personal taste. I think in a given system any of the dacs mentioned can be incredible. I’m also not too worried about the Dac chip merry-go-round as I think the implementation has a lot to do with ultimate performance. For instance the Dac chips in the k-01xs are much newer than those in the d-02x. That said ... I can say that the d-02x is in another league. On another note ... there has been some back and forth in this thread about passing sacd from any of the Esoteric CD Players to an Esoteric Dac. Unfortunately that isn’t possible. The digital output automatically shuts down when playing an SACD. I’m guessing a licensing decision. Also, the ESLA protocol on the analog outputs are purely analog and designed to connect to an Esoteric preamp or integrated that supports that protocol on its analog inputs. It would have been nice if I could have passed sacd from my K-01xs to my D-02x but sadly that isn’t possible. Should get my P-02x in 3-4 weeks then I’ll sell the k-01xs. Done with digital other than maybe a clock at some point.

George

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
    .. there has been some back and forth in this thread about passing sacd from any of the Esoteric CD Players to an Esoteric Dac. Unfortunately that isn’t possible...
    Explain to me then how I am able to do it? I even posted a photo of it being done. Have a look at it and you might be convinced that it is possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn’t work on mine for sure! Owners manual states that as well.

George

Post Thanks / Like

Well, lucky me. My owners manual says it can be done, and it works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

And yours is coming from a P1 correct?

George

Post Thanks / Like

I think we are talking about two different things. My comments relate to sending a dsd signal OUT of a K-01xs or other player not a transport.

Post Thanks / Like

Not doubting you can feed a dsd signal into the N-01 that way from a dedicated transport. Just doesn’t work from the players like the K-01xs. Sorry for any confusion.

George

Post Thanks / Like

P1 > N-01 supports DSD via XLR. It says so in the manual, and it works in practice. The setting to make it work is configured in the P1. My understanding of the K-01Xs manual is ESL-A should carry DSD to an Esoteric DAC that supports ESL-A format. I'm unable to test that however.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
    P1 > N-01 supports DSD via XLR. It says so in the manual, and it works in practice. The setting to make it work is configured in the P1. My understanding of the K-01Xs manual is ESL-A should carry DSD to an Esoteric DAC that supports ESL-A format. I'm unable to test that however.
    I have the manual as well as the K-01xs right in front of me and it states the digital output shuts off when playing an SACD. I have tested this. The ESL-A on the k-01xs is for analog connectivity to their high end integrated amp. Page 25 discusses the options for the analog output setup not digital. Page 9 discusses ESLA as it relates to this player and the integrated amp. The manual is free to download on Esoterics site. Believe me ... I wish it did do that.

George

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast