Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Just bought 3" granite slabs to put under my

Vandersteen Quatro's. I can't wait to see if I hear a difference. They are selling them custom made for the 7's so I thought I'd try a set under mine. Should be here in 2 weeks and once I can get a friend over, they will be slid under each speaker. No burn in required, lol.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20
    The Memory Player with built in DAC and headphone amp built in on order
    AQ Niagara 1000 power device
    Audioquest William Tell bi wire speaker cable
    Wireworld 8 optical cable into the Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh from the TV and Blueray to reclock
    Wireworld Platnium 8 ethernet cables into the EMO 70e ethernet filter into The Memory Player from Eero mesh router
    All routers, cable box and synchro mesh powered by the Wyred4sound LPS box with separate supplies for each
    Audioquest power outlets and four dedicated power lines in the room
    ZMF Ori headphones with the Audioarts 15' Pono balanced cable for the QX5/20
    Empire Ears Phantom CIEM's
    Rhapsodio 2.98 mk2 gold plated silver cable for Phantom

Re: Just bought 3" granite slabs to put under my

Is your foundation flooring raised or cement slab? I know with a raised floor the benefit is noticeable.
    Source component-Esoteric K-01X
    Preamp-
    Audio Research Reference 10
    Amplifier- ​D'Agostino Progression monoblocks
    Speakers-
    Wilson Audio Maxx 3
    Isolation stand-HRS SXR
    Cables-Transparent Reference speaker and Super I/C's.
    Power conditioning-Transparent Power Isolator and Transparent power cords
    Room treatment-Vicoustics

I have had good experience with slabs under my Dynaudios and other speakers. For me it cleaned up the bass.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Raised floor. I'm sure it will help a lot based on conversations with Richard V and others who have my speakers and done the same.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20
    Wireworld 8 optical cable into the Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh from the TV and Blueray to reclock
    Wireworld Platnium 8 ethernet cables into the EMO 70e ethernet filter into The Memory Player from Eero mesh router
    All routers, cable box and synchro mesh powered by the Wyred4sound LPS box with separate supplies for each

I bet you will be surprised of the change it will make. Because it does make a difference.

In time you will have to decide if it's a good change or sideways change or bad change.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    I bet you will be surprised of the change it will make. Because it does make a difference.

In time you will have to decide if it's a good change or sideways change or bad change.
    Everything makes a difference, but even the power supply on the day can make it sound different......

Guys, I agree that humidity makes a difference, but I have two dedicated lines to my system. Each is individually grounded to very long copper rods and he used the exact same length runs for each of very high grade copper. I don't remember the make as it was 13 yeas ago when they built the place. I use AQ outlets and Hurricane cords into the Niagara power deal that Garth designed. The bottom line is that I like where my system it at and upgrade when I feel it's worth it and when I have the money to do so.

The Quatro's are a special speaker to my ears for the price. The company line from Vandy is that it's the sweet sport for the dollar in their line. I fully agree with that. I am still looking for a better amp than my Ayre AX5/20. The integrated is a great one, but I'm going to get a special amp/pre that will give me even more solid/strong bass. I wanted to get the speakers set up with the plinths first. I also have a pair of Audioquest Thunder cords being made (you need an old style connector on the amp end since there isn't clearance for the new beefy connector Garth used. That will help get a tad more bass also.

I have spoken to a couple of other guys who have done this 300 dollar tweak and they all had glowing things to say about it. Most have said that it gives the bass a bit more authority and it tightens it up greatly. One person said he feels the soundstage is grounded even more. I just have to make sure I get the rake correct when doing this. He said 4 more washers to the rear spike, so that's where I will start. I'm sure that will do it. Unlike the platform upgrade they have for the 7's where the cones are in the granite slab on the floor, he told me to not even worry about that and just have the slab sit on the carpet. I dont' know how heavy each one will be, but it's going to be very very heavy for sure. Yes, I'm certifiable. lol
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20

My only question might be - does the granite ring?

Amazing how some fairly thick granite slabs still wring when struck.
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post

Yes, my question as well. Anyone compare granite to maple?

When I've tried thick granite, I've always just laid the granite on a carpeted floor and using it like that it never rang.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

I would think the weight of the spkr “compressing” it into the carpet should be more then enough (assuming their heavy enough). Hard to say.

I’ve used a similar setup without issue in a previous setup.

The chg in height may may bring about additional results (positive or negative), but there are many variables to that, just have to experiment

Share some pics when all is setup
    Main:
    Room: Dedicated 25 x 14 x 8 treated room | Computers (headless in utility room): Wkst #1 Ubuntu running lifetime ROON server. High end wkst #2 High end wkst running HQE image | Network rack (in utility room): Managed Fiber Switch, QNAP NAS | Endpoint: Fiber to SONORE OpticalRendu w/ LPS, Sbooster USB vbus2 |DAC: Lampi Lite7, Holo Audio S3 KTE, Aqua La Scala MKII Optologic | Pre: Atma-Sphere MP-3 Mk3.3 Pre / Pass Labs XP-22 | Amps: Pass XA100.5 Mono's | Speakers: Revel Ultima Studio2 (Townshend seismic posiums) with Dual PSA X15 sealed subs | Isolation: Components on custom roller bearings + compression springs | Cables: Wireworld Platinum USB / Analysis Plus PC / Gotham 4/4 XLR / AQ spkr / Revelation audiolabs I2s | Server Streamer: Aqua LinQ using HQP modules > I2s to Aqua La Scala

Office: Win10 wkst with Spotify or ROON controller > VDAC-II > VLINK 192 > Yamaha RX integrated > Polk audio signature Monitors >12" sub

Sometimes you wont recognize the ring until you take the slabs out. I may be wrong here but Jim will correct me if I am , but I think he was referring to if you isolate a speaker, it will not take on the characteristics of the surface it is sitting on. I f you get slabs of any material & couple to them, it will be noticeable, subtle or not, sometimes.

I fully trust Richard V when it comes to his set up. He's the one who personally told me to do this and he sells the same deal for his 7's. I asked about the ringing too and he said it won't be a problem. Maybe it won't be audible, maybe it won't be loud enough, may be the carpet will absorb most of it....I have no idea, but I also know a few others who have done this and have not heard anything but positive results.

We will see. As for the height, it's the 4 washers installed onto rear spike that will align the tweeter accordingly.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20

I have carpet over concrete and back when I had the D1's I added 3/4" granite under the stands. Sound changed quite a bit. Everything sounded tighter and faster. Real obvious in the mids. I liked it a lot. But when I went to the D2's the granite was too small and never got replacements. That said my friend and and dealer got granite for their speakers. My friend has a suspended wood floor and my dealer had wood over concrete. They and I couldn't hear enough of a difference to justify them. As a side note the early Raidho speakers had rounded feet which made the speaker slide. Normally not a problem but if a foot did slide off the 1 3/4" granite that was enough for the speaker to tip over. That did happen to my friend when his 90lb over excited dog ran into one.
    George

Aavik U300 - Borresen 03 with optional Supreme D-TC feet - Naim unitiserve 2tb - Ansuz DTC digital cable with power box - Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC with 1 Ansuz Supreme D-TC and 1 Ceramic V2 power cords - Ansuz Ceramic V2 speaker cables - Ansus X Ethernet - pARTicular Novus full suspension rack.

Just need to know what you are dealing with I guess, lol. This is a 3" slab adn I have a second floor room with carpet. Not ideal ,but all I was able to negotiate. lol... I may make small dimples where the cones need to go, but shouldn't need to. He makes these special layered/damped, slabs with an anchor system for the 7's which is some great engineering. I'm going the easier root.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20

I put 2" granite slabs on top of IsoAcoustic pucks, and IsoAcoustic Aperta stands on top of those, under my monitors. I'm not generally a huge fan of crazy setups like this but each addition made a positive difference to my ear and the overall result sounds significantly better to me than without any of it. The granite seemed to make the biggest difference. It's a little funky looking but not too awful.
    Main System

Lumin X1 > Boulder 1161 > Scansonic MB3.5 B

Headphones

Home: HiFiMan Susvara > Schiit Lyr+
    Portable: Focal Radiance > AQ Dragonfly Cobalt / Chord Hugo 2

I have 1.5" thick white quartz slabs that I had custom made for when I bought my Sonus faber's the first time around. I mainly got them because Sonus decided to use somewhat dumpy cones (especially the rear ones) in favor of actual spikes, so the stands just kind of "floated" on top of the carpet. Not stable at all. While I waited the week or so for the slabs to be ready, I had some good listening time in on my new speakers. After getting the slabs and placing the stands on them, I immediately noticed much better focus and could also pick up on finer details within the music. It wasn't a huge slap in the face, but definitely easily noticeable none the less.

I literally just got down on my hands and knees to give them the knuckle wrap test. All I heard was a dull thunk-thunk sound. So I don't think I'm getting any ringing from these quartz slabs.

Pass Labs XP-20 | Auralic Altair G1 | Odyssey Audio Stratos Monoblocks | JVC XL-Z411 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

Nice looking slabs ^^^^^

This is an old pic but the Dyns still reside on these slabs

-----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post

+1

I know for TTs, this is a big no no
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

I thought that was addressed above. No, there is not problems according to RV.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20

CTSooner, we are on a fairly similar path it seems - I am currently using Ayre KX-5 Twenty and Vx-5 Twenty with Treos, but planning to upgrade to Quatros in 2019. On carpeting, I would doubt that you're going to have any ringing in those slabs. Interested to hear the results of your power cord experiments, I am going to need a couple of fairly long ones with the Quatros (7 feet to be safe, though I might barely get away with 2m.) I too am strongly inclined to take RV's advice, the guy clearly knows his craft and hasn't led me astray so far
    Main system: PS Audio P5, CAPS server w/HDPlex power supply, Hegel H160, AQ Colorado and Rocket 44, Vandersteen Treos, PS Audio DS DAC. NAD M4 tuner, Mcintosh MR74. Analog: Bryston BLP1, Ortofon Quintet Black, customized Tavish Adagio phono pre. AudioSensibility Statement interconnects. Rythmik Audio 15-inch sub. Other stuff: Sequerra Met 7's (original) Met 7 MK. II, REL Q108, Berning ea-230's, Micro Seiki BL51 with Grace and Rega arms. Too much else to list, I am gonna leave a heck of a pile of stuff when I die.

Guys, I've now spoken to a few others who say there will be no ringing problems at all. Jay, you will love the Quatro's. Best value in the Vandersteen line. A true sweet spot I feel. I have the Thunder on order as it's not that expensive when you figure it all out and it will make a difference in the bass according to all I have spoken with who have done this upgrade. No need to go up in the line either as the Thunder will be plenty.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20

FWIW - I made my observation from personal experience, and I didn't state it clearly.

The granite doesn't ring so much as it imparts a mechanical sound to the component resting upon it. In countless installations, I have never found this to be otherwise, but it's simply my opinion/observation - not meant to be stated as some incontrovertible fact, nor as a basis for arguments/disagreements...

Also, the professor's suggestion sounded like a good idea to me.

Anyway, I am a fan of Richard's work - so enjoy!!!
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Wilson Benesch is another company that advocates plinths under their speakers. I have seen a number of different materials used. Recently, WB has started manufacturing a composite product for the purpose, http://www.aaudioimports.com/ShowPro...p?hProduct=316. As per usual, WB's solution is overengineered in extreme, but I thought it would be useful to see other alternatives.

There are so many factors involved in how this changes the sound, IMHO everyone is going to have to experiment for themselves. My experience with using granite slabs has been negative but I like and use the current WB composite.
    Turntables: Acoustic Signature Invictus Jr. NEO, Grand Prix Monaco V3.0
    Tonearms: Acoustic Signature TA-9000 NEO, Kuzma Safir
    Cartridges: Miyabi Fuuga, Ortofon Century, Murashino Sumile Mono
    Phono Amplifiers: CH Precision P1, Channel D Lino 3.3
    Digital: CH Precision C1.2/D1.5/T1, Innuos Statement Nextgen, Luxman D-10X (Loan)
    Amplifiers: CH Precision L10/M10, Parasound JC1+, Gryphon Diablo 333 (Incoming)
    Speakers : Magnepan 30.7x, Wilson Audio XVX Chronosonic/Subsonics
    Cables: CAD Ground Controls/USB, Cardas Beyond Clear, Gobel Lacorde Statement
    Accessories: Artesania Exoteryc Racks & Damping Plates, Seismion Reactio, Degritter RC, RPG Acoustic Treatments/PSI AVAA, Torus Power/Plixir Elite BAC

Jim, I get what you are saying. I have heard a lot of granite plinths under gear and disliked it. Especially for my tube gear in years past. That said, the feet or cones are even more important. Richard's cones on the speakers are special. Folks never talk about his engineering, but his products are as technical as a Magico or Wilson or anyone else's gear. They just don't talk about it enough as others do.

He uses a cabinet within a cabinet. He has patents on his drivers that have been stolen in years past by one of the major builders in the world. I know his plinths he sells for his 7's are constrained layer. I think 12 or 13 layers or something like that.

Jim, if you are correct, then I won't end up using them, lol. It's that simple. I know what others who have done the same thing have said, so I'm really looking forward to these getting done and installed eventually.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    Nice looking slabs ^^^^^
    Thank you!
    Pass Labs XP-20 | Auralic Altair G1 | Odyssey Audio Stratos Monoblocks | JVC XL-Z411 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

And they are ready for pick up. It's going to be a bit though before set up. I need help and my go to and I won't be able to do it until Feb or so. Darn
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Just bought 3" granite slabs to put under my