Just bought 3" granite slabs to put under my - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just bought 3" granite slabs to put under my

I would think the weight of the spkr “compressing” it into the carpet should be more then enough (assuming their heavy enough). Hard to say.

I’ve used a similar setup without issue in a previous setup.

The chg in height may may bring about additional results (positive or negative), but there are many variables to that, just have to experiment

Share some pics when all is setup
    Main: High end Win10 wkst (headless) running lifetime ROON server w/HQP > Fiber Switch > QNAP NAS > Fiber to mU, sbooster vbus2 > Lampi Lite7 > P7 Pre > Pass XA100.5 Mono's > Revel Ultima Studio2
    Dual PSA X15 subs
    ROON Controller > HP 2in1 13"
    Components on custom roller bearings / inner-tube (Barry D)

Office: Win10 wkst with Spotify or ROON controller > VDAC-II > Yamaha RX integrated > Infinity Primus Monitors >12" sub

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes you wont recognize the ring until you take the slabs out. I may be wrong here but Jim will correct me if I am , but I think he was referring to if you isolate a speaker, it will not take on the characteristics of the surface it is sitting on. I f you get slabs of any material & couple to them, it will be noticeable, subtle or not, sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

I fully trust Richard V when it comes to his set up. He's the one who personally told me to do this and he sells the same deal for his 7's. I asked about the ringing too and he said it won't be a problem. Maybe it won't be audible, maybe it won't be loud enough, may be the carpet will absorb most of it....I have no idea, but I also know a few others who have done this and have not heard anything but positive results.

We will see. As for the height, it's the 4 washers installed onto rear spike that will align the tweeter accordingly.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20
    Ayre QX5/20 (The Memory Player with built in DAC and headphone amp built in on order)
    Steve Nugent rebuilt Mac mini (2009) with Paul Hynes LPS and custom silver cable server
    AQ Niagara 1000 power device
    Audioquest Castlerock speaker cables
    Wire world optical cable into the Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh from the TV and Blueray to reclock
    Wireworld Platnium 8 ethernet cables into the EMO 70e ethernet filter into the QX5/20 from Eero mesh router
    All routers, cable box and synchro mesh powered by the Wyred4sound LPS box with separate supplies for each
    Audioquest power outlets and two dedicated power lines in the room
    ZMF Ori headphones with the Audioarts 15' Pono balanced cable for the QX5/20
    Empire Ears Phantom CIEM's
    A&K 380cu with matching cu amp (copper which is much warmer than their normal cases)
    Rhapsodio 2.98 mk2 gold plated silver cable for Phantom

4. Likes bzr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have carpet over concrete and back when I had the D1's I added 3/4" granite under the stands. Sound changed quite a bit. Everything sounded tighter and faster. Real obvious in the mids. I liked it a lot. But when I went to the D2's the granite was too small and never got replacements. That said my friend and and dealer got granite for their speakers. My friend has a suspended wood floor and my dealer had wood over concrete. They and I couldn't hear enough of a difference to justify them. As a side note the early Raidho speakers had rounded feet which made the speaker slide. Normally not a problem but if a foot did slide off the 1 3/4" granite that was enough for the speaker to tip over. That did happen to my friend when his 90lb over excited dog ran into one.
    George

Aavik U300 - Raidho D3.1's in Walnut burl with black trim - Naim unitiserve 2tb - Ansuz DTC digital cable with power box - Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC with 1 Ansuz D-TC and 1 Ceramic V2 power cords - Ansuz Ceramic V2 speaker cables - Ansus X Ethernet - pARTicular Novus full suspension rack.

6. Likes kzhtoo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just need to know what you are dealing with I guess, lol. This is a 3" slab adn I have a second floor room with carpet. Not ideal ,but all I was able to negotiate. lol... I may make small dimples where the cones need to go, but shouldn't need to. He makes these special layered/damped, slabs with an anchor system for the 7's which is some great engineering. I'm going the easier root.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20
    Ayre QX5/20 (The Memory Player with built in DAC and headphone amp built in on order)
    Steve Nugent rebuilt Mac mini (2009) with Paul Hynes LPS and custom silver cable server
    AQ Niagara 1000 power device
    Audioquest Castlerock speaker cables
    Wire world optical cable into the Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh from the TV and Blueray to reclock
    Wireworld Platnium 8 ethernet cables into the EMO 70e ethernet filter into the QX5/20 from Eero mesh router
    All routers, cable box and synchro mesh powered by the Wyred4sound LPS box with separate supplies for each
    Audioquest power outlets and two dedicated power lines in the room
    ZMF Ori headphones with the Audioarts 15' Pono balanced cable for the QX5/20
    Empire Ears Phantom CIEM's
    A&K 380cu with matching cu amp (copper which is much warmer than their normal cases)
    Rhapsodio 2.98 mk2 gold plated silver cable for Phantom

Post Thanks / Like

I put 2" granite slabs on top of IsoAcoustic pucks, and IsoAcoustic Aperta stands on top of those, under my monitors. I'm not generally a huge fan of crazy setups like this but each addition made a positive difference to my ear and the overall result sounds significantly better to me than without any of it. The granite seemed to make the biggest difference. It's a little funky looking but not too awful.
    Digital Front End Lumin U1 and L1 | PS Audio DirectStream w/ HiFi Tuning Supreme fuse
    Amplification Ayre MX-R Twenty w/ HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses
    Speakers Amphion Argon 3s
    Power Ayre L-5xe conditioner | Zu, Shunyata and Transparent PCs
    Cables HiDiamond D8 speaker | HiDiamond Genesis interconnects | AQ Diamond and HiDiamond Reference USB | Revelation Audio Labs "Cat8+" and AQ Diamond Ethernet with Black Box Fiber Media Converters
    Isolation Synergistic MIGs | IsoAcoustics Aperta's | IsoAcoustics IsoPucks | Stillpoints Ultra Mini’s | IsoAcoustics Oreas
    Other iFi Micro-iUSB3.0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2