Magico M???? - Page 9
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Magico M????

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Magico M????

Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post
    Yes, but your particular room, which otherwise has great acoustics, poses unusual problems when it comes to integrating subwoofers with monitors. Perhaps they would integrate better with your Q3s.
    My particular example is just one. I have heard this issue of quality vs. quantity with other monitor/sub systems. I only bring it up because it illustrates for me this distinction between the two types of bass. In this thread, we are actually discussing two full range floor standing speakers systems. I just happen to have heard something similar in my monitor/sub experiments.

Yes, perhaps a sub will integrate better with my Q3s. Interestingly, Magico, the manufacturer being discussed here strongly believes that subs should not be integrated with two way stand mounted speakers. They advice customers to first get one of their larger floor standing models and then perhaps later attempt to integrate subs.

As you have heard with my Q3s, they disappear just like my Mini 2 monitors, which were set up by a pro. So the usual advantage of monitors is not a factor in my particular case. The bass of the Q3 is excellent, so I have no interest in subs at the moment to possibly get more slam for rock music. Those who like adjustable volume on their subs for different music and recordings, like you do, may have different priorities.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    My system link on Audiogon: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...&4&5#Peterayer
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, MSL Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum
    Electronics: Pass XA160.5, Pass XP-22, Pass XP-25
    Speakers: Magico Q3 and Mini II
    Cables: Transparent REF XL
    Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes

Post Thanks / Like

While I don't doubt that quality of bass slam and of bass articulation can be separate, I wonder if sometimes allegedly better 'articulation' can be the result of the ear being guided towards articulation in the absence of slam and punch.
    This is an interesting question you raise. Is more bass texture and articulation heard when there is less bass slam? I certainly think it’s possible. I think big bass slam could potentially cover over some of these subtleties. Interesting points to ponder.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with
    Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock,
    Renderer V2 and Roon Nucleus Plus
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: AudioQuest Niagara 7000

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    My particular example is just one. I have heard this issue of quality vs. quantity with other monitor/sub systems. I only bring it up because it illustrates for me this distinction between the two types of bass. In this thread, we are actually discussing two full range floor standing speakers systems. I just happen to have heard something similar in my monitor/sub experiments.

Yes, perhaps a sub will integrate better with my Q3s. Interestingly, Magico, the manufacturer being discussed here strongly believes that subs should not be integrated with two way stand mounted speakers. They advice customers to first get one of their larger floor standing models and then perhaps later attempt to integrate subs.

As you have heard with my Q3s, they disappear just like my Mini 2 monitors, which were set up by a pro. So the usual advantage of monitors is not a factor in my particular case. The bass of the Q3 is excellent, so I have no interest in subs at the moment to possibly get more slam for rock music. Those who like adjustable volume on their subs for different music and recordings, like you do, may have different priorities.
    Yes, the bass of the Q3 is excellent, and I can perfectly see why you have no interest in subs at the moment. The question is, is the bass of the M3 sufficient? Opinions seem divided.

And you are right, your Q3 disappear completely, just like good monitors. They perform the best disappearing act that I have ever heard from floor standers. It's stunning.
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil DAC / Tripp Lite 1000HG isolation transformer (only digital front end) / Pass B1 passive buffered preamp (revised 2014 version) / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen and tested for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

Post Thanks / Like

IMO

Bass slam when done properly does not cover up the subtleties.

I say that, but I do think that on some recordings the bass slam distorts the recording of the music because of it's high db output for that millisecond.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    This is an interesting question you raise. Is more bass texture and articulation heard when there is less bass slam? I certainly think it’s possible. I think big bass slam could potentially cover over some of these subtleties. Interesting points to ponder.

Ken
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Lumin U1, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Gryphon Diablo 300 w DAC, Raidho D5, 2 Magico QSub15s, Shunyata Sigma IC/SC/PCs, Denali/Typhon.

Workshop: Lumin U1/BorderPatrol custom DAC, Border Patrol Pre and Power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, Magico Q15 subs, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Post Thanks / Like

My $.02

I have never heard a Magico speaker that I felt it "needed" a sub. They have all had enough bass extension that I in no way felt I was missing part of the music.

I have not heard any of the monitors other than the Q1 which I owned. So I can't really comment on the earlier models. But have heard almost all of the models since say 2010.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Lumin U1, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Gryphon Diablo 300 w DAC, Raidho D5, 2 Magico QSub15s, Shunyata Sigma IC/SC/PCs, Denali/Typhon.

Workshop: Lumin U1/BorderPatrol custom DAC, Border Patrol Pre and Power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, Magico Q15 subs, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

6. Likes Skanda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No. With rock I want both slam and punch on one hand, and precision and articulation on the other. There's no gourmand without gourmet.
    +1

I've always found Wilson bass somewhat overblown and boomy, while Magico lacked impact. I will say the new Sasha DAWs were much better in this regard in my recent audition, but it was an unfamiliar system.

Rockport has really tuneful bass for a ported speaker - it might best split the gap. I had other issues with that speaker however.

I also listen to electronica fwiw.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ 47 Labs MC Bee cart, MSB Premier DAC --> Music First Baby Reference v2 --> Audio Research Ref 75SE --> DeVore Fidelity Gibbon X

8. Likes Mike, the professor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post

Ken
    I think that much of these somewhat oppositional characteristics derives from the sealed cabinet vs. ported enclosure design choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Attached Images Attached Images

11. Likes Skanda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Good looking speaker. The fit and finish and overall quality of construction seems to be at the highest level. Each model of speaker has a newly developed driver. Given all the various models in the company's short history, that is a lot of drivers to keep in stock for servicing existing speakers. I marvel at the pace of these developments. I also marvel at the prices, especially compared to the S series.

This M2 has come a long way from the old V3. It would be a lot of fun to directly compare the V3, S3mk2, and M2.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    My system link on Audiogon: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...&4&5#Peterayer
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, MSL Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum
    Electronics: Pass XA160.5, Pass XP-22, Pass XP-25
    Speakers: Magico Q3 and Mini II
    Cables: Transparent REF XL
    Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes

14. Likes Skanda liked this post

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast