Suggestions for 6SN7 Tubes - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions for 6SN7 Tubes

Vintage Tube Services. The Smoked/Gray glass RCA's are really good I just didn't have that great of luck finding ones quiet enough for a preamp. They worked fine as driver tubes in amps though. Andy sells them graded for the application. On the Sylvania's the farther you go back in time the less forward they are but also the more expensive as rarer.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Vista Audio Phono 2, Nuprime CDT-8, Teac Reference NT-505, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II, BHK Preamp with BHK 250 amp or Kinki EX-M1, Nola KO's, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Dueland IC's, Triode Wire Labs SC & PC's, Equi=Core 1800, PI Audio Uberbuss, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, W4S Recovery with iPower, Nuprime DAC-10, Nuprime ST-10, Spatial Audio Triode Master, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Audio Sensibility SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Post Thanks / Like

For the Input tube I got both the original NOS tube and a buddy recommended these NOS Phillips 6SL7s tubes that I got from Hong Kong. They seem to be very nice.
    Pre-amp: Audio Mirror T-61
    Digital:
    T+A DAC 8 DSD; Falcon Tiki; Wyred 4 Sound Recovery
    Amplifiers:Audio Mirror SET 45; T+A AMP 8; McIntosh MC754
    Speakers/Headphones: KEF R700, R400b; Dennis Had Dragon Inspire IHA-1; Focal Clear
    Other: Oppo BDP-105; Technics ST-9030; AudioQuest Niagara 1000

Post Thanks / Like

Randy

I don't have any experience with 6SL7's like jadedavid does so I would take his guidance on those plus I don't know which tube in that amp was designed to have the most effect on the sound signature.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Vista Audio Phono 2, Nuprime CDT-8, Teac Reference NT-505, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II, BHK Preamp with BHK 250 amp or Kinki EX-M1, Nola KO's, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Dueland IC's, Triode Wire Labs SC & PC's, Equi=Core 1800, PI Audio Uberbuss, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, W4S Recovery with iPower, Nuprime DAC-10, Nuprime ST-10, Spatial Audio Triode Master, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Audio Sensibility SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Post Thanks / Like

I was told the 6sl7 to get a solid tube, but the 6sn7 makes a bigger difference sound wise.
    Digital:
    Speakers/Headphones: KEF R700, R400b; Dennis Had Dragon Inspire IHA-1; Focal Clear

Post Thanks / Like

Then for now you are good to go with the amp as you also have the ability to roll tubes with the new preamp to tailor the sound even more.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to the new pre-amp arrival... Not sure how much rolling capability there is with it, but we will see ...
    Digital:

Post Thanks / Like

i have found the audiotubes.com site helpful, at least as a starting place, in choosing tubes to try/roll...

6sn7 info is here: http://www.audiotubes.com/6sn7.htm

for RCA specifically: "...the RCA tubes hold the fort with deep impressive bass and rich and liquid midrange tones. The top is silky. The best examples are the VT231 greyglass types, and the early GT. The famous red base 5692 types are mellow and smooth thanks to their slightly lower Gm, with a beautiful 3D soundstage. Best bargain in the RCA camp is the early GTB tubes. Same rich sonics and these are usually priced well below all other types!"

there is also a 6sl7 section here: http://www.audiotubes.com/6sl7.htm

fwiw... i always pay up for tubes that test with with low noise / microphonics and balanced triodes
    t+a dac 8 dsd > almarro a318b > viking acoustics berlin r mk-ii | alp-tone audio alp.wE cables

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2