Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

New HP Spectre X360 15t laptop arrived

It took nine days for my new HP Spectre X360 15t laptop to arrive. I've been like a kid waiting on Santa to come down the chimney. I could have received the laptop sooner if I had ordered a preconfigured model, but I wanted the 1 TB SSD and Intel's newest 8th Gen core i7 Kaby Lake processor (45 watts) with the onboard Radeon RX Vega M graphics processor with 4 GB of dedicated video RAM. In addition I added Microsoft Office Home and Business software, plus Adobe Premier Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements preinstalled.

The wait was worth it. This is a beautiful precision built laptop computer. Fit and finish remind me of a premium watch. Besides being drop dead gorgeous opened or closed, it is solidly constructed and feels firm when picked up, not to mention it is light to carry compared to my older Sony Vaio laptop. I watched several videos where some reviewers mentioned fan noise, but even with the Spectre's two fans the noise level is not objectionable, nor is it as loud as the Vaio. Most of the time the fans are running so slow you cannot hear them.

The Spectre's 4K 15.6" touch screen is fabulous. The increased color depth and gradient levels are immediately noticeable and astonishing. The screen and those densely packed 4K pixels are protected under Gorilla Glass.The touch screen supports pen based computing and comes with an HP pen. I may even try my hand at some digital graphics art. Of course the entire reason the Spectre is called the X360 is because the screen rotates a full 360 degrees. This allows the laptop to be used as a touch screen presentation machine standing in a tent fashion, or as a tablet computer, albeit a big one.

The keyboard delivers just the right amount of tactile feedback with minimal travel. It is easy to type on this keyboard, and also includes a full numeric keypad. The back lighting is activated with a dedicated function key so you don't have to be in near darkness for it to become active. The choice of back lighting being on or off is user controlled. There 's also an Airplane Mode function key for those times you are required to turn off Bluetooth and WiFi radios.

The touchpad has the latest finger gesturing controls built in, single finger pointer control, two finger scrolling, pinch to zoom and a number of other three fingers and rotation control functions. The touchpad is glass with a micro texture that allows your fingers to effortlessly glide over its slick surface. The lower left and right bottom corners offer left and right click functions. I am gradually coming up to speed on the additional touchpad features.

Connectivity is abundant with a full size SD card slot, one USB type 3 and 2 USB type C/Thunderbolt connectors, a full sized HDMI connector, and a combination headphone or headset jack. I am also pleased that HP returned to a barrel connector for power and charging the battery. It is far more robust and secure than trying to charge the computer from a USB type C connector. HP also supplied a 150 watt power supply with this model laptop that supports fast charging.

Once unboxed I got right into setting up the Spectre laptop. I did a fair amount of advanced preparation during my wait for delivery. I used a 1 TB external hard drive to transfer all pictures, documents, and download files from my desktop computer. That made it relatively easy to transfer those files via USB to the new laptop. Setting up Windows is always a chore. Lots of hoops to be jumped through and settings to be adjusted in the Setup menu. The Spectre X360 15t uses Windows 10 security features in a number of ways. Windows Hello uses two infrared cameras to identify your face for unlocking the computer. There is also a finger print reader on the right side, and also password security. I set up all three. The face recognition has worked flawlessly. I open the laptop, the infrared cameras rapidly flash a few times and I am immediately unlocked on my home screen. The finger print scanner works well, too.

Once I began the setup process of downloading files and programs I ended up at my desk all night. I went from 4:00 PM Thursday to 8:00 AM Friday nonstop. About 3 of those hours were spent scouring and deleting unwanted photos. Thousands of photos take time to go through. I save way too many photos. I am going to attempt to control that better going forward. I managed to get 90% of the setup completed before I finally ran out of steam. All programs are running perfectly, including 3 separate browsers bookmarked and functioning correctly, and four email accounts synced and responding properly. An external USB DVD spinner helped to load several programs. It came in handy since the Spectre does not have a disc spinner. The external DVD spinner connects via USB 3.0 so loading software went relatively quick.

Now that I have had nearly 24 hours of continuous interfacing with the new HP Spectre X360 15t I can safely say it is a premium level laptop computer that is loaded with leading edge technology that works. It is fast, the graphics are phenomenal, the four speakers tuned by B&O sound clean and can play loud enough, but certainly not high-end audio. The thin all aluminum case with copper colored sides, hinges, and edge trim is classic and alluring at the same time. I think this Spectre laptop computer will provide long, enjoyable, and enduring service. It was time for a new and improved laptop. I am confident I made the right choice for my needs.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Re: New HP Spectre X360 15t laptop arrived

Awesome Dan
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Chris.......Thanks. I can easily recommend The HP Spectre X360 15t laptop computer. I have been using laptop computers for over 25 years and have owned many. This laptop is beyond everything I ever wished a laptop to be and then some. It is a remarkable feat of technology.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

It's a beautiful and powerful laptop Dan, among the best. I've read some and more. Enjoy for a long time.
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    Chris.......Thanks. I can easily recommend The HP Spectre X360 15t laptop computer. I have been using laptop computers for over 25 years and have owned many. This laptop is beyond everything I ever wished a laptop to be and then some. It is a remarkable feat of technology.

Cool Dan I can see ya now setting back in that studio of yours play Call of Duty LOL, ya know ya wanta
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Hey Dan did you get Windows Home 64 or Pro 64

Chris.......I selected Windows Home 64.

By the way, I am not a gamer at all. I am a reader, researcher, reviewer, and forum participator. The few times I tried play a game on someone else's computer or XBox I just got stressed out. I don't consider that fun. Probably my age, three shades this side of ancient.
    Dan

By the way, I am not a gamer at all. I am a reader, researcher, reviewer, and forum participator. The few times I tried play a game on someone else's computer or XBox I just got stressed out. I don't consider that fun. Probably my age, three shades this side of ancient.
    Not really a gamer either. I did get a Golf Game for Christmas one time, darn near broke my TV. So that was out. .

Dan doing a little follow up, how is the HP doing, still meeting your needs ?

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Dan doing a little follow up, how is the HP doing, still meeting your needs ?
    Chris.......Absolutely the best laptop I have ever owned, and I have owned many through the years. The keyboard is a joy to use. The fingerprint and/or facial recognition security features are superb. The 1TB solid state hard drive is blazing fast. Boot up takes about 8 seconds and shut down the same. The 4K screen is pure joy to view. The laptop's thin design with copper tone edge trim is a thing of beauty. Windows 10 runs smooth as butter and so does all of my installed software. I have no complaints whatsoever. I am super pleased with my HP Spectre X360 15t laptop.

My 10 year old Sony Vaio laptop gained new legs when I installed a Samsung 500GB solid state hard drive in it. The speed bump was very good. I gave the Sony to a friend who lost everything in a house fire last year. I expect it will run smoothly for another 10 years. I fully expect to get a minimum of 10 years service from the new
    HP Spectre X360 15t. I am very happy with it.
    Dan

Chris.......Absolutely the best laptop I have ever owned, and I have owned many through the years. The keyboard is a joy to use. The fingerprint and/or facial recognition security features are superb. The 1TB solid state hard drive is blazing fast. Boot up takes about 8 seconds and shut down the same. The 4K screen is pure joy to view. The laptop's thin design with copper tone edge trim is a thing of beauty. Windows 10 runs smooth as butter and so does all of my installed software. I have no complaints whatsoever. I am super pleased with my HP Spectre X360 15t laptop.

My 10 year old Sony Vaio laptop gained new legs when I installed a Samsung 500GB solid state hard drive in it. The speed bump was very good. I gave the Sony to a friend who lost everything in a house fire last year. I expect it will run smoothly for another 10 years. I fully expect to get a minimum of 10 years service from the new
    HP Spectre X360 15t. I am very happy with it.
    Thank you Dan. That's good to hear. I got world with my last Win 7 update from Microsoft that Win 7 is no longer going to be supported in a few weeks with updates or support, I knew it was coming but, procrastination took over on buying a new machine. So I will keep my current big desktop rig which has plenty of power for Win 7 for my Photoshop and other photo/video programs and add a new lap top for daily duty.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

New HP Spectre X360 15t laptop arrived