Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

New Dynaco ST-70 Series 3 amp finally released for sale!

http://www.dynaco.audio/#scroll-home

The Dynaco ST-70 Series 3 tube amplifier is 35 watts per channel and switchable between both 4 and 8 Ohm outputs, with Class-A push-pull stereo topography, that has long been characterized as a robust, reliable design of exceptional value.The ST-70 Series 3 builds upon the proven design philosophies of the original David Hafler-designed Stereo 70, with contemporary design techniques resulting in exceptional performance improvements that meet the requirements of modern audiophiles.Dynaco engineers have made extensive use of high-quality parts that were unavailable at the time of the original design including precision metal-film resistors, poly-composition capacitors, and miniaturized high-capacity power supply electrolytic capacitors. In addition, many of the newer parts are also built to tighter specifications than the originals.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joeinid; November 29, 2018 at 01:33 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: New Dynaco ST-70 Series 3 amp finally released for sale!

I can't access the link from work. I wonder just who Dynaco is currently? I remember some Canadian company used to own the Hafler name and putting out some current product.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Super Moderator

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    its on sale too, half off! whets stopping you Joe

Quote Originally Posted by puroagave View Post
    The only thing that looks similar on this new ST-70 MK1000 is the power and output transformers, but I'm sure the similarity there is only skin deep as well. The input circuit doesn't use the original tubes and no more tube rectifier. That was all part of the original sound.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

I would go for an original. Remember my review in Listener?
    Founder: AVShowrooms featuring video reports of audio shows, company tours and reviews. Resume' includes; the absolute sound, Stereophile, Listener Magazine, founder Philadelphia Audio Society. Top articles: Lamm ML3- TAS, YG Anat III Signatures- TAS, Ayon- TAS, Coincident Speaker Technology- TAS, Single Ended Survey- TAS, Fisher 500c- Stereophile, Bozak CGs- Stereophile, Box Sets- Listener, Dynaco ST70-Listener. Best catch phase: Bugatti of Audio.

Super Moderator

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Breuninger View Post
    I would go for an original. Remember my review in Listener?
    Are you referring to The Listener magazine established by the BBC in 1929? Geez, I was only 16 at the time. Who can remember that far back? I had enough trouble getting through the '29 stock market crash.

strange add ........the 'description' states Class A whereas the ' technical specs' say 'AB' ....... ??
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    strange add ........the 'description' states Class A whereas the ' technical specs' say 'AB' ....... ??
    It's supposed to be a Class A/B amp. You can't get a pair of EL-34s to give you 35 watts of pure Class A power.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    It's supposed to be a Class A/B amp. You can't get a pair of EL-34s to give you 35 watts of pure Class A power.
    gotcha, understood, I was pointing out the add being misleading..........
    Cheers ! …. Dave

On the Dynaco website notes Class AB. That Class A note was in the Absolute Sound article or comment. More from the lead designer is here http://dynaco.com/inside-story
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    On the Dynaco website notes Class AB. That Class A note was in the Absolute Sound article or comment.
    here's where I saw it, you decide where it's from ............

Cheers ! …. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    here's where I saw it, you decide where it's from ............

Looks like its a add from Rutherford Audio.

If you try to pay for it, this is what a person will see at the buy area. Interesting . I wrote Dynaco and asked them what is it, AB or A.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

that's 'my thought too, I also understand a pentode (EL34) can only be wired as pseudo triode.

that's 'my thought too, I also understand a pentode (EL34) can only be wired as pseudo triode.
    You are tying a grid to the plate so it's never a "real" triode.

An update from Dynaco

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your interest in Dynaco.

The ST-70 Series 3 is a high bias Class AB amplifier. In effect, it operates in Class A up to about 10W then AB above that point.

Regards,
    Ryan

Ryan Juchnowski

Radial Engineering Ltd.

What would be likely speakers to pair with this amp?

What would be a good match in terms of pre-amp?

What would your budget be? Plenty of options, although I'd use some efficient speakers, I play loud sometimes.

Then again, this isn't the Dynaco of old, so unless someone had this amp or had a good listen, we'd be guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by mcanaday View Post
    What would be likely speakers to pair with this amp?

What would be a good match in terms of pre-amp?

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Super Moderator

For speakers, try and stay above 90 dB efficient but if you don’t play loud, certainly very high 80’s efficiency will be fine.

Do you have any speakers in mind? Let’s hear about what you are thinking.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Was thinking of this for a desktop system (amplifier under a large desk) —so speakers would be something that could work on a desktop...price range i guess less than 3k....thanks for any thoughts!

For a desk system I'd consider a Hegel integrated or Naim, with built-in DAC to save space. If just wanting tubes Cary has a one box solution.

If wanting a Dynaco for nostalgia, maybe a set of KEF LS-50. Of course, there is a "wireless" version with DAC & amp that would be another great desk system, but, that would go in the above paragraph People tend to like Harbeth with tubes. I like Dynaudio stand mount, good solid bass and the newer more entry models are easier to drive than former series.

In preamps maybe Conrad Johnson or the Audio by Van Alstine. You didn't mention your sources.

I had a CJ ls-17 that was such a good sounding unit that retailed for around $2500.00, no longer current. It was actually more "golden" sounding than the more expensive CJ that replaced it.

But, if going to stream, there's a lot of DAC options with variable out so you could eliminate a preamp unless going to use analog.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

New Dynaco ST-70 Series 3 amp finally released for sale!