Audio Mirror Pre-amp - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Audio Mirror Pre-amp

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I believe that 6922 tubes can also be used, however I have heard that the 6N1P are military grade tubes and sound better in the pre-amp. They also appear to be pretty inexpensive, even NOS... Not sure on the third tube. If Rectifier tubes are interchangeable???? If so then I have a couple very nice ones that I roll in my Dennis Had unit.
    Just like with other tubes, specific rectifier tubes may have some equivalent replacements but they are not universally interchangeable. Wouldn't be wise to learn that the hard way... BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like

Hehe... yea, I never would dare "experiment" with tubes... I am still a tube noob ....
    Pre-amp: Audio Mirror T-61
    Digital: T+A DAC 8 DSD; Falcon Tiki; W4S Recovery; Roon & HQPlayer
    Amplifiers: Audio Mirror REFLECTION; T+A AMP 8; McIntosh MC754
    Speakers/Headphones: KEF R700, R400b; Dennis Had Dragon Inspire IHA-1; Focal Clear
    Other: Oppo BDP-105; Technics ST-9030; AudioQuest Niagara 1000

Post Thanks / Like

Randy

It uses a 6X4 rectifier tube and good NOS ones are usually found under $20. Really aren't that many options and the NOS one he provides should be fine.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Vista Audio Phono 2, Nuprime CDT-8, Teac Reference NT-505, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II, BHK Preamp with BHK 250 amp or Kinki EX-M1, Nola KO's, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Dueland IC's, Triode Wire Labs SC & PC's, Equi=Core 1800, PI Audio Uberbuss, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, W4S Recovery with iPower, Nuprime DAC-10, Nuprime ST-10, Spatial Audio Triode Master, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Audio Sensibility SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jack,

Vladimir does take the sound quality first approach so I have no doubt what he provides will be good. I always like to have at least one backup set of tubes ...

I know it is not an expensive pre-amp, but I am really looking forward to getting it in my system. It is supposed to be a very good sounding basic DHT pre-amp (sounds exactly like what Joe was looking for a little bit ago )... Too bad Vlad is having issues getting enough parts to build them in quantity now .
    Speakers/Headphones: KEF R700, R400b; Dennis Had Dragon Inspire IHA-1; Focal Clear

Post Thanks / Like

A good read on the 6dj8-6922-7308-6n1p family of tubes can be found online under "Joe's Tube Lore".
    As for the rectifier tube, in some pieces of gear and in some systems the rectifier tube can alter the sound more than the rolling of the other tubes.
    The D.C. is VERY important.
    However if it is a 6X4 then you need to stay with that numbered tube as there are no (IMO) good substitutions just different manufacturers.
    EZ90's, (6X4's), such as Amperex and or Mullard are usually at the top of the pile although some of the military (W's) are also good.
    Just have fun with it and enjoy.
    My System:
    A trusty old Pioneer PD-65 as a Transport, A MicroRendui, a Merrill Heirloom T.T. as sources. A Lampizator DAC to PAD Cables to a SP-14 Tubed PreAmp, Coincident Frankenstein 300B monoblocks, & or Valvet E-2, Fusion speaker cables, AudioKinesis Zephryn 46 Speakers. pair Rythmik F-12 subs, EP2050, DCCA Furutech and Kaplan Power cables, APC power conditioner, Two dedicated 20Amp power lines. DIY corner traps and Acoustic Geometry Curves for room treatment.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, that is my plan.... as soon as it arrives

Post Thanks / Like

Vladimir let me know that my pre-amp should be finished by tomorrow! I am so looking forward to listening to this little DHT preamplifier.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2