Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Cary SLI-100

Cary SLI-100

Has any one heard the new Cary SLI-100 tube integrated? Stereophile gave it a nice write up this month. I am very curious about it being 100wpc.

https://www.caryaudio.com/products/sli-100/
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Re: Cary SLI-100

Interesting that you're mentioning about the 100W spec as John trashed it in his measurements. Both channels really only a couple watts at 1% distortion. Maybe a defective unit.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    Everest Audio
    www.everestaudio.com
    Facebook

bel canto, Hegel, Vimberg, Opera, MoFi, Acoustic Energy, JL Audio, Innuos, Vertere, Meze Audio, Origin Live, GutWire, Wireworld, Furutech, IsoAcoustics and more

Quote Originally Posted by Everest Audio View Post
    Interesting that you're mentioning about the 100W spec as John trashed it in his measurements. Both channels really only a couple watts at 1% distortion. Maybe a defective unit.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

I read that too but it sounded good, was more forceful than the 100wpc Rogue amp he reviewed recently. The manufacturer comments on the last page responded to the poor measurements by saying it was by design to obtain a certain sound. I pay attention to measurements and specs but I pay more attention as to how an amp sounds. I am not sure that I would pair the amp with inefficient speakers though.

It is not a pretty amp, that's for sure.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

It's crazy that Cary designed a 100 watt amp to distort at less than 2 watts on purpose.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    It's crazy that Cary designed a 100 watt amp to distort at less than 2 watts on purpose.

It will be interesting to see if the Stereophile review and measurements hurts sales or causes Cary to make some changes to the amp. Cary should have had TAS do a review instead as they don't do measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Not when that's what some crave IMO. Supply-demand.

Always liked the SLI-80, may try to audition this at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    It will be interesting to see if the Stereophile review and measurements hurts sales or causes Cary to make some changes to the amp.
    God forbid a review speak the truth and disappoint the 'audio fool' community !

Cary should have had TAS do a review instead as they don't do measurements.
    LMAO ............ a classic audio fool statement if there ever was one !!!!!!!!
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    God forbid a review speak the truth and disappoint the 'audio fool' community !

LMAO ............ a classic audio fool statement if there ever was one !!!!!!!!

What ever man.

Not sure why you think that. I was just stating that the absolute sound does not do measurements. They review on how a piece of gear sounds. Nothing wrong with that. I take pro reviews with a grain of salt. I don't buy gear on how it measures. Specs and measurements don't always tell the whole story. My Parasound A21 spec's out better than my Pass X250 but can't hold a candle to it. I could care less if the Cary does not have the best specs if it sounds good.

I guess that makes me a fool Dave!

But my system sounds damn good!

Besides, I know for a fact that one audio company will not let stereophile review their gear because of measurements.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Cary SLI-100