Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

Trying my Naim Supernait2 on the Avantgarde Duo XD today ...

Vacuum tubes absolutely win out for ultimate musicality, especially on horns. There’s no doubt I love tubes, but there’s also no doubt that I hate tubes. Maintenance, noise, finding the perfect replacement or NOS and hopefully catching them before they go down run through my mind. I’m especially a little worried because my system is usually on 12+ hours a day and almost all weekend.

Now having the Duos as my main speakers, I’m on a mission for the “perfect” solid state amp for them.

I decided to try the Naim Supernait2 today. Naim takes a long time to run in and warm up but so far, I’m enjoying this combo. It’s dead quiet and very revealing. Soundstage not as large, tall, wide or deep as my better tube amps but it’ll need more time to run in. I love Naim in general and hope this combo blooms a little more. So far so good though.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: Trying my Naim Supernait2 on the Avantgarde Duo XD today ...

Joe, have you heard the little Hattor SS Int?

http://www.hattor.com/ncore_integrated.html
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post

Ha, probably overkill for the Duo. It drove all the Pure Audio Project speakers effortlessly.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post

Very interesting and cool looking. I have not heard them but was looking at their passive preamps a little while ago.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I got to play with both that little SS guy as well as their Hybrid Int with the Pure Audios. The ncore was really nice, quiet, effortless and at first I thought the volume knob was odd, but the feel and control was super. Cool little metal remote comes with it also.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Super Moderator

Thanks Brian!

NAD C 658 streamer.

You might find a pair of used Valvet Class A monos - they were designed on horns and are *very* quiet. I loved them on Zu. They also don't run particularly hot with only a single pair of transistors in the output stage.

Obviously FirstWatt is the other choice, but don't you already have a XA25? How did that sound?
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Have you ever tried the SuperCap DR with your Supernait2?

It usually increases the soundstage etc.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

2nd on the Valvet amps.
    The E2 is a class A single ended SS amp. Very sweet with great detail and just plain musical.
    Might be just the ticket.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    Have you ever tried the SuperCap DR with your Supernait2?

It usually increases the soundstage etc.
    Not the Supercap but I have the Hicap? I think. From the Naim forum, they say that the Supercap is a little more analytical but I’d have to experience it for myself.

I know you have Naim experience, you think it would be a definite improvement?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    You might find a pair of used Valvet Class A monos - they were designed on horns and are *very* quiet. I loved them on Zu. They also don't run particularly hot with only a single pair of transistors in the output stage.

Obviously FirstWatt is the other choice, but don't you already have a XA25? How did that sound?
    I've heard of but not heard Valvet. An older brother has my XA25. He wanted it before I even contemplated Duos. I know Mike was not crazy about the XA25 on his Duo Mezzo but I am trying to get him to bring it back or pay me. I need to hear it. I do have a SIT-3 on order with no idea of a ship date.

Quote Originally Posted by jadedavid View Post
    2nd on the Valvet amps.
    The E2 is a class A single ended SS amp. Very sweet with great detail and just plain musical.
    Might be just the ticket.
    Interesting, two recommendations on Valvet. I'll take a look.

Another friend recommended Sugden IA-4. https://www.sugdenaudio.com/ia-4-integrated-amplifier

Any thoughts on this one? 33wpc Class A.
    Attached Images Attached Images

NAD C 658 streamer.

It does. The HiCap give more umth and control the SuperCap is that plus more refinement and soundstage. Either don't give more prat, but more hifi things. They also don't change the warmth/color of the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Not the Supercap but I have the Hicap? I think. From the Naim forum, they say that the Supercap is a little more analytical but I’d have to experience it for myself.

I know you have Naim experience, you think it would be a definite improvement?
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Second amp for my Uno XD's is the darTZeel 108. I really enjoyed the XA25 but prefer the Dart.
    Industry Disclosure: Owner Epiphanic Audio. Bespoke 2 channel resource in Virginia Beach VA. Dealer for darTZeel and other great brands.

Interesting, two recommendations on Valvet. I'll take a look.

Another friend recommended Sugden IA-4. Any thoughts on this one? 33wpc Class A.
    From memory, I preferred the Valvets to the SIT 1/2. The SITs truncated decay despite having a big spooky SET-like midrange. The F7 sounded promising at a show last year though.

Sugden is another good idea. My Devore dealer basically uses them exclusively with the Gibbon series. Sweet sounding amp. You might send an email to J Halpern to confirm compatibility with AG.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

No! send email to Holger Fromme to confirm compatibility with Sugden
    Paul

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    It does. The HiCap give more umth and control the SuperCap is that plus more refinement and soundstage. Either don't give more prat, but more hifi things. They also don't change the warmth/color of the sound.
    Thanks Jock!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Etunes View Post
    Second amp for my Uno XD's is the darTZeel 108. I really enjoyed the XA25 but prefer the Dart.
    Actually, I can absolutely see the Dart being a great match. Hmmmm, won't be cheap but probably worth it. I remember one of the best combos I ever had was my CJ GAT and Dart 108 amp. OMG! For me, it was a superb match. I loved it more than Dart's own preamp.
    Last edited by joeinid; November 14, 2018 at 06:57 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Hahahahahahahha!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Audioshark

LMAO.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Joe, I love love the Sugden sound so musical and much tube-like. We should get one of each
    Paul

Super Moderator

Joe, I love love the Sugden sound so musical and much tube-like. We should get one of each
    I know we talked about this. We need to talk more

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

For all the Valvet recommendations, I found this! Holy cow!

http://www.10audio.com/valvet-e2.htm

NAD C 658 streamer.

I've had 3 dart pre's so no doubt to me they are amazing . Now though I'm using an Air Tight ATE-2001 two box full function pre and find great synergy with a tube pre and SS amp. I'm told the 108 was voiced on horn speakers not sure of the model #
    Industry Disclosure: Owner Epiphanic Audio. Bespoke 2 channel resource in Virginia Beach VA. Dealer for darTZeel and other great brands.

Super Moderator

I had 2 Darts and would love to hear one now on my Duos. Too bad I didn't really discover the Duos years ago. I would still have some of the amps that I'd love to try now

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by IAmRael View Post

Looks great too. Thank you.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    I wanted to suggest the XA25 as well, would be interesting to hear what you think of the combo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    I wanted to suggest the XA25 as well, would be interesting to hear what you think of the combo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I’m going to have to try and get it back or buy another. I’ll let you know what happens.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

A little update on the Naim SN2.

After running a little more than 24 hours, she’s almost back to her old self. That’s a great thing. You can tell when a piece is freshly out of the box or sitting idle for a long time, it’s a little harsh, constricted, thin and just not relaxed. Well, what a change a day makes and since the Duo are so revealing in a good way, I could tell it was not as musical as Naim usually sounds. Right now it’s sounding wonderful. Soundstage grew in all directions, definitely smoother on top and more of the classic Naim meat on the bone. Sounds so clear and open as well. I might not need to do anything and just enjoy my current amp rotation.

D@mn, I freaking love these Avantgarde Duo. I’m up way too late and smiling like a fool.

NAD C 658 streamer.

D@mn, I freaking love these Avantgarde Duo. I’m up way too late and smiling like a fool.
    Makes me chuckle Trying my Naim Supernait2 on the Avantgarde Duo XD today ...Trying my Naim Supernait2 on the Avantgarde Duo XD today ...Trying my Naim Supernait2 on the Avantgarde Duo XD today ...
    Paul

That's awesome Joe. Makes me want to try Naim on the Duos.
    Jock

---------

Super Moderator

I’ve always wanted their higher end gear but darn it’s expensive. No doubt AG loves tubes, but this is interesting.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I'd try this Luxman on the Avangardes.

http://www.luxman.com/product/detail.php?id=24

Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator

I never realized they had that, I’ll check it out. Could be great.

NAD C 658 streamer.

That little Luxman does look like a winner.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Any reports on the Chord DAVE driving the Avantgarde’s ?
    Avantgarde Zero 1 XD
    Aurender N100H
    Oppo BDP - 105D
    Sony A8F 65“ Drop dead gorgeous picture.

Super Moderator

I've never heard any Chord product but I know several here that love their gear.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks Joe.
    Has anyone else heard a Chord Avantgarde combination ?
    Avantgarde Zero 1 XD
    Aurender N100H
    Oppo BDP - 105D
    Sony A8F 65“ Drop dead gorgeous picture.

like you could easily add a tube power amp to the Hattor and leave it off or active depending on your mood.
    Nick

Main system :TAD CR1 speakers, Viola Labs Symphony amp,Pass XP-20 preamp., MSB Discrete DAC with twin power supplies and V2 Renderer module, Gigafoil V4 inline ethernet filter with uptone LPS-1 power supply with Ghent audio Gotham 2.1mm to 2.5mm cable and AG diamond ethernet cable, Sonicorbitor Roon Audiophile 6 TB network server-player , MG Audio Design Planus III jumpers & speaker cables, Zitron Cobra power cords, Shunyata Hydra AV, and acoustic zen absolute copper IC,. Room treatment ASC tower traps, Vicoustic absorber premium cinema wall and ceiling panels, and MSR acoustic trifusser side wall panel

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Trying my Naim Supernait2 on the Avantgarde Duo XD today ...