Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

One of the best and most fun things about my Avantgarde Duo speakers .....

Is that I can play with amps that are totally unusable on average sensitivity speakers.

Dennis Had, formerly of Cary Audio fame, makes and sells his Inspire and/or Fire Bottle line of flea watt amps on eBay.

I got a pair of his 45 SET Inspire mono amps. Holy cr@p these are wonderful. They actually live and breathe. There’s an undeniable life and naturalness about these amps.

At a blistering 2 watts per channel, it’s more than enough to blow me out of my listening seat.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: One of the best and most fun things about my Avantgarde Duo speakers .....

Totally agree. I’d love to try more low watt options like these with my AG’s.

You’re a man possessed right now, Joe! Good for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe or Justin

Here's an interesting little amp for little money. Known more for their headphone amps.

https://www.wolfearaudio.ca/products...nt=38476967233
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Totally agree. I’d love to try more low watt options like these with my AG’s.

You’re a man possessed right now, Joe! Good for you.

Oh boy am I. Absolutely possessed. But I love it.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Joe or Justin

Here's an interesting little amp for little money. Known more for their headphone amps.

https://www.wolfearaudio.ca/products...nt=38476967233
    Very cool Jack. I’m looking at the website now. That’s a new one to me. I’ll check it out.

I really need a remote control for volume but might be able to learn to live without one.
    Last edited by joeinid; November 12, 2018 at 09:33 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe

It's just a straight power amp like the Inspire should work fine with the LTA. Quite a few of the guys on AC bought their headphone amps.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

I’ll take a hard look at it, could be another great amp. I love the look of it too.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

These Dennis Had 45 monos have really settled in and warmed up. I am ecstatic. They are smooth and a little creamy with amazing separation and a wonderful flow to the music. I love SET. Good recordings sound spectacular and not so good recordings or streams sound great. I never expected to be able to listen to flea watt amps and speakers like my Duos are perfect to experience these little bottles of magic.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Just curious, through all the amps that you have tried over the years, have you ever used Ayon, Graaf or Unison? I've never heard them on Avantgarde speakers but on others they've always sounded excellent. Also, years ago at CEDIA in Indianapolis I heard Avantgarde paired with BAT. One of the best systems I've ever heard, even in a show setting.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by matt_zak View Post
    Just curious, through all the amps that you have tried over the years, have you ever used Ayon, Graaf or Unison? I've never heard them on Avantgarde speakers but on others they've always sounded excellent. Also, years ago at CEDIA in Indianapolis I heard Avantgarde paired with BAT. One of the best systems I've ever heard, even in a show setting.
    I’ve not personally heard either Ayon, Graaf or Unison but I’ve read of Avantgarde owners using Ayon and loving it. Their 30wpc SET in particular (the model escapes me at the moment).

You had to mention BAT? Mike fell in love with a local Avantgarde owner near him using a BAT VK-55SE, I think. I’ve been a little obsessed ever since but they run hot as heck. That would be out as a summer amp but certainly welcome in the fall and especially winter. I’m seriously thinking about BAT.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe

What about Lamm, you've got a local dealer.

https://lammindustries.com/pages/pow...lifiers-ml2-2/

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I’ve not personally heard either Ayon, ..........

You had to mention BAT? Mike fell in love with a local Avantgarde owner near him using a BAT VK-55SE, I think. I’ve been a little obsessed ........... I’m seriously thinking about BAT.

Ahhh, I wondered......

I’ve not personally heard either Ayon, Graaf or Unison but I’ve read of Avantgarde owners using Ayon and loving it. Their 30wpc SET in particular (the model escapes me at the moment).

You had to mention BAT? Mike fell in love with a local Avantgarde owner near him using a BAT VK-55SE, I think. I’ve been a little obsessed ever since but they run hot as heck. That would be out as a summer amp but certainly welcome in the fall and especially winter. I’m seriously thinking about BAT.
    I think the big Avantgarde's (whatever the top model was back in 2005ish) that I listened to were paired with the 75SE's. My friend had the 75SE's running Reference 3A MM DeCapo's and it was magical. Although they do run hot I don't remember them running hotter than any other tube amps I've been around.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    Ahhh, I wondered......
    I bet your new amps are glorious

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe

It is incredible when one finds equipment which under normal circumstances would never had crossed your path and then it becomes a magical experience.

Just enjoy it and happy hunting in finding the music that makes the system sing ...

Take care.

J

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Joe

What about Lamm, you've got a local dealer.

https://lammindustries.com/pages/pow...lifiers-ml2-2/
    I’m sure very musical. I’d have to make sure they were quiet.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jozua View Post
    Joeinid

It is incredible when one finds equipment which under normal circumstances would never had crossed your path and then it becomes a magical experience.

Just enjoy it and happy hunting in finding the music that makes the system sing ...

Take care.

J
    Thank you so much. I have to say these Dennis Had 45 amps are absolutely wonderful. Just a magical midrange, full bottom and sweet highs. I absolutely love the vocals.

NAD C 658 streamer.

W5LE silver glow.jpg
    WA5 (2nd gen) Headphone/Integrated Amplifier
    BTO, ships in 2–3 weeks

always loved Woo amps for headphones and they also have 300b speaker adjustable settings
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joeinid; November 13, 2018 at 11:18 AM.
    Nick

Main system :TAD CR1 speakers, Viola Labs Symphony amp,Pass XP-20 preamp., MSB Discrete DAC with twin power supplies and V2 Renderer module, Gigafoil V4 inline ethernet filter with uptone LPS-1 power supply with Ghent audio Gotham 2.1mm to 2.5mm cable and AG diamond ethernet cable, Sonicorbitor Roon Audiophile 6 TB network server-player , MG Audio Design Planus III jumpers & speaker cables, Zitron Cobra power cords, Shunyata Hydra AV, and acoustic zen absolute copper IC,. Room treatment ASC tower traps, Vicoustic absorber premium cinema wall and ceiling panels, and MSR acoustic trifusser side wall panel

I’m sure very musical. I’d have to make sure they were quiet.
    People are using them with horns Joe. Ask DDK about them.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

I bet your new amps are glorious
    Joe even though it weighs 250lbs, it's only one!

Super Moderator

Joe even though it weighs 250lbs, it's only one!
    Holy cr@p that’s insane but it looks like it exudes quality. I’m afraid to ask about retail. I’m so happy for you.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by veindoc View Post
    W5LE silver glow.jpg
    WA5 (2nd gen) Headphone/Integrated Amplifier
    BTO, ships in 2–3 weeks

always loved Woo amps for headphones and they also have 300b speaker adjustable settings

Looks beautiful. Having my Duos opens up a whole new world of amplification.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Holy cr@p that’s insane but it looks like it exudes quality. I’m afraid to ask about retail. I’m so happy for you.
    Aries is the definition of big iron. Great SQ too.

But be afraid, be very afraid of the price. Not cheap, unless you do dollar per pound ...then its a bargain. LoL
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Aries is the definition of big iron. Great SQ too.

But be afraid, be very afraid of the price. Not cheap, unless you do dollar per pound ...then its a bargain. LoL
    I can’t afford anything else so I’m done

NAD C 658 streamer.

Woo amps are awesome! The W5Le was my dream head amp years ago........ but then I rediscovered speakers and it’s been a slippery slope thereafter.
    Dang......if that Avantgarde Unofino sways me........oh Wu is me.....shame and scandal in the family...lol
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Super Moderator

Larry,

I think Mike has nice pair of Uno Fino stashed in a warehouse somewhere on the east coast looking for a home

Let’s make it happen! Thank me later.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Nope Joe.........6 weeks out.......elves making em hidden somewhere in the Black Forest in the township of Odenwald ...per herr Michael S. Klauss
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling

Super Moderator

Hahaha.

NAD C 658 streamer.

What’s the difference between Uno XD and Fino edition?

BTW, big congrats on the Duo, Joe. It’s about time a set of AG rock your boat.

Super Moderator

Thank you so much. It’s rocking all right!

The Uno fino are a little shorter and should work better in a smaller room. Beyond that, Mike should be able to explain in more detail.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    What’s the difference between Uno XD and Fino edition?

BTW, big congrats on the Duo, Joe. It’s about time a set of AG rock your boat.
    There are some differences. The Uno has two 10 inch drivers and a sealed cabinet. The Uno Fino has ONE 10 inch driver and a port at the bottom. I would like to see 8 feet or more of a "throw" for the Uno. Meaning, sitting at least 8 feet away from the speaker (measured ear to speaker). The Uno Fino, because it is SLIGHTLY physically shorter, you can sit closer. 7 feet, maybe 6 feet or less.

I have a pair on order in this finish:

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Thanks, Mike and Joe.

I see. Fino is a smaller version for closer sitting position and/or room. But it’s very interesting to find out UNO has 2 10-inch drivers in a sealed cabinet. I guess I just never really looked into it before. That’s Magico S3 territory and could be an option for me in the future. And most importantly, wife loves the look.

Super Moderator

WAF is a big part of it, I am convinced you’ll both love the sound. It’s a whole new world.

NAD C 658 streamer.

That color combo you ordered Mike is gorgeous! .......Coincidence that it was my fave too!
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Dguitarnut View Post
    That color combo you ordered Mike is gorgeous! .......Coincidence that it was my fave too!
    Larry, they didn’t have the Ebony-Wenge wood and won’t until mid-next year, so I went with black.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

The more I look at UNO XD, the more I don’t want to look at it. New DAC delivery is still a few weeks to a month away.

Joe, you ever think of trying AG XA amp or XA INT? I see AG uses these at shows and they seem to sound good in the videos.

Mike, I’m also wondering how UNO XD bass is, especially comparing to Magico S3 or S5, given UNO has two 10-inch sealed drivers. Also, do they integrate well with JL subs? My S3’s play extremely well with F113v2 I have.

I know lower power tube or SS amp is the match here. But what about driving with high power SS, for example, Diablo 300?

The more I look at UNO XD, the more I don’t want to look at it. New DAC delivery is still a few weeks to a month away.

Joe, you ever think of trying AG XA amp or XA INT? I see AG uses these at shows and they seem to sound good in the videos.

Mike, I’m also wondering how UNO XD bass is, especially comparing to Magico S3 or S5, given UNO has two 10-inch sealed drivers. Also, do they integrate well with JL subs? My S3’s play extremely well with F113v2 I have.

I know lower power tube or SS amp is the match here. But what about driving with high power SS, for example, Diablo 300?

Oops
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post

Oops
    LOL
    Gorgeous!

Audioshark

The AG electronics are solid state and not my favorite for the AG speakers. Paul recently had them in his system for a demo. Maybe he can chime in.

You won’t need subs with the Uno XD’s, but if you feel you want more bass, then keep them. But AG’s definitely don’t need subs.

The bass is powered with EQ and is tremendously fast and deep and powerful.

Diablo 300 is not the best match for AG. Best stick to 300b SET.

Hope this answers your questions.

Super Moderator

Absolutely beautiful.

I’ve thought about Avantgarde’s own amps, integrated in particular, but just think without having heard them that could be too much solid state sounding. Just a gut feeling and Having lived a little with them, they are just a match made in heaven with sweet SET. Having heard MC452 and MC275VI on them, I think they are a great match too. The 275 being absolutely wonderful but not in a SET way, but in a sweeter 3D great tube amp way than solid state. If that makes sense.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Mike, I actually like the all black instead of wood with that color better.....doesn’t detract from the horn this way!
    The baby blue are my second favorite!......

Yeah BABY!
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling

I personally think the magic with AG’s happens with tubes. I heard big solid state power (my Hegel H30) and lower SS power (a Pass amp) and I think you miss so much potential without tubes here.

One of my friend told me you don’t know their potential until you pair your Avantgarde with their own pre and power amp - He owns the Trio and tried all kind of tube and SS amp before - so made me curious to bring the XA home.

As soon as I pair it with my Mezzo XD by the first track “ Shostakovich- Symphony No.4 in C minor “ just knocked me out. The slam and punch shocked me and I go “ Wow this is something special !!!” Played couple of more classical music and solo piano sound just realistic as you can get plus the sound stage was just humongous.

However , once I start to play some vocal and small Jazz band where showed some shortcomings. Which was “soul of human voice “ and “ magic of tube “ is not there. Overall it was really fine amplifier. If I’m not a tube kind of listener I could easily live with it but since I’m coming from AirTight, Shindo and Kondo kind of guy. I would buy as back up amp for the summer but for my main I still need the tube amp.

And here is my friend’s set up

Paul

Holy cow what a setup. Wow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Holy cow what a setup. Wow!!!

That’s his own restaurant which he has that set up. One of the best and most fun things about my Avantgarde Duo speakers .....
    Paul

Super Moderator

Amazing setup!

NAD C 658 streamer.

I’d pay a hefty sum to eat a meal there! And I’d bring a bottle of 1982 Bordeaux from the cellar!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    That’s his own restaurant which he has that set up. One of the best and most fun things about my Avantgarde Duo speakers .....
    Tax deductible... very smart!! Is his name Max perchance...

Tax deductible... very smart!! Is his name Max perchance...
    Lmao

Paul

Omg ......I would have to rent a tux!
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team