Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Oppo 203, DAC - Transport

I recently sold my PS Audio Directstream with Bridge and the PS Audio Memory Transport faster than I thought as I’m in the middle of an upgrade project, more later on that...

A recent listening session showed me that the HT speakers were having a negative influence in my sound.

So between that and my other plans I simplified my home theater by pulling the A/V and the 6 speakers plus the JL Sub F112 V2 that I’ll be listing and right now have the Oppo 203 serving as my DAC and Transport, a $500 component on a crazy cost system.

If I used the Oppo more than a dozen times one could easily say I was stretching the truth, I am extremely impressed.

I have Apple TV going into the Oppo HDMI in, and use the FL/FR RCA outputs with XLR adapters into my preamp since there is no RCA on my preamp. Since my primary server with no DAC is down, I connected Roon/Tidal from my secondary unit residing on a Mac Mini located in my mechanical room.

The RCA cables are mid-level Audioquest culled from the home theater, Power is Ansuz A2, Ethernet and Grounding are from Nordost.

Color me impressed, with more direct connections, simplified video watching that includes better sound and seems to be better screen resolution.

Previously, I never wanted my AV to have pass through control on my 2 channel, so I kept systems separate. Cutting out the A/V and using Oppo as the DAC and Transport is of no concern and the amazing sound from the 2 Channel, makes no need for a center, rears or sub, this setup will be included going forward, I only wish I scored the 205 when they were available.

I’m estimating the Oppo sound quality is 65%-70% compared to a PS 2 box system, mind you the gap narrows IMO with Oppo being cabled up with the power, ethernet and grounding being high end cables, floating on Stillpoints Ultra SS and going into high end gear, but still...

While this is fun in a way to make do, the 30%-35% PS contributed more to overall quality was IMO worth the $$$.

Anyway, point being is to share the story and highlight the Oppo 203.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Re: Oppo 203, DAC - Transport

I agree the Oppo 203 is quite decent for the money. I have mine in a spare system that's my 4K system. I probably only use that system a few times a year for music. I had a Windows 10 music server in there (along with a Teac UD-501) that was old and bit the dust recently. For now I've moved that DAC to a different system (that also rarely gets used - have the DAC going thru an iFi tube buffer for now as well). I could at some point move things around again. I use one of my two Oppo 103Ds in my master bedroom system. That system feeds the outdoor speakers and I can use the 103D (via he Oppo App) to select music from my NAS.
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

I have a modest home theater with a 203. I am very happy with the video resolution on my 65" 4k setup. I have no experience with it in the big two channel system.

I have had the Oppo 83, 93, 103, and now the 203. They are the best for video. For music you need the 205 since that was designed to be a CD music player. Video wise it is the same as the 203.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

I very much appreciate my 105... although I honestly I rarely spin a disk in it any more. However I will never get rid of it. It does do a very nice job as a good CD/SACD player, but more importantly it has a very special use that makes it 100% irreplaceable for me.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I very much appreciate my 105... although I honestly I rarely spin a disk in it any more. However I will never get rid of it. It does do a very nice job as a good CD/SACD player, but more importantly it has a very special use that makes it 100% irreplaceable for me.
    ripping SACD's
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

It is so much easier (and better) playing from the music server then spinning disks.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    I have had the Oppo 83, 93, 103, and now the 203. They are the best for video. For music you need the 205 since that was designed to be a CD music player. Video wise it is the same as the 203.
    For best video (picture quality) I'm not so sure, not with the new Panasonic UB820 and UB9000 4K Blu-ray players. Check the reviews by owners who compared them with the Oppo 203.
    With their HDR Optimizer feature they adapt to your display, tone mapping included. ...And for both 4K TVs and 4K front projectors. $499 and $999 respectively.

There is also a new Pioneer Elite 4K Universal Blu-ray player, the LX500 ... $999

For Audio, yes the Oppo 205 (not anymore available). But for Video, Panasonic is the new King.
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

I've got a 83, 93, 95, 105 and I have a 203 . I did have a 205 but since I wanted to use the 203 or 205 for Video well after talking to OPPO, the video section of these players are the same. The 205 is a nice audio player but I chose to just use my Lumin and Marantz or my Bryston or the 105 for audio if I wanted to spin a CD. . The 203 is great for 4K and sounds pretty decent as well for the money.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Oppo 203, DAC - Transport